Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Game Pace

This topic has been closed.
    • 170 posts
    April 20, 2017 7:15 AM PDT

I made a new character in Everquest yesterday on a new server just to try and recall what it was like back in 99'. I hope our level and skill progression is a little more that pace than the game released Tuesday and by Sunday afternoon I'm top level and raiding pace. I know some folks will burn through the content no matter how big the world is but I want to explore and enjoy and work my factions and level skills.

If I am telling someone which way to travel I want to have to hit my sense heading button a dozen times until I succeed and can actually give them a true direction.

If I use a 2hand staff for my first 12 levels and then score a sweet 1hand stick and get a second 1 hander I want to stink at using them until I level my 1hand blunt and my dual wield skills.

I know I am not the only one that wants this game to last a long time and I think slowing everything down gives them time to add content before people are bored.

Anyway, just a thought. I'm sure I'll be happy either way because of the community. If nothing else is the way I'd like I at least have met some good people here. So look forward to playing with everyone.

• 2886 posts
    April 20, 2017 7:26 AM PDT

Abacda said:

I know I am not the only one that wants this game to last a long time and I think slowing everything down gives them time to add content before people are bored.

You're definitely not the only one because the devs themselves have made it very clear for years that the game will be challenging and take time. And that's one of the reasons that Pantheon attracts should a large portion of the old school demographic. You should know that by now, Abac :P But I'm looking forward to it too!

Check out this post from 2015: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2037/how-long-should-level-1-take

Also, these:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2907/the-pace-of-progression

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2950/the-value-of-hell-levels

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1761/the-difference-between-leveling-and-leveling

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5088/slow-progression-and-fear-of-death

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 20, 2017 7:30 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    April 20, 2017 7:47 AM PDT

This thread will soon be closed - when Bazgrim links a bunch of threads dealing with the same topic it is the kiss of death.

I fully agree, as most of us do. I've gotten to maximum level in days or weeks in many MMOs even when I played hardcore (die and the character is deleted).

I've often spent far more time harvesting and crafting not because I liked to do this (though I do) but because after a few weeks it was that or raid and I am not a raider by inclination - especially old school raids that could take 3-5 hours with limited opportunity for breaks.

• 633 posts
    April 20, 2017 8:43 AM PDT

dorotea said:

This thread will soon be closed - when Bazgrim links a bunch of threads dealing with the same topic it is the kiss of death.

I fully agree, as most of us do. I've gotten to maximum level in days or weeks in many MMOs even when I played hardcore (die and the character is deleted).

I've often spent far more time harvesting and crafting not because I liked to do this (though I do) but because after a few weeks it was that or raid and I am not a raider by inclination - especially old school raids that could take 3-5 hours with limited opportunity for breaks.

LOL

• 556 posts
    April 20, 2017 9:29 AM PDT

Bazgrim, Destroyer of Hopes and Dreams

lol

• 319 posts
    April 20, 2017 9:34 AM PDT

Enitzu said:

Bazgrim, Destroyer of Hopes and Dreams

lol

NO NO No. He is not the Desroyer of hopes and dreams but the ARCHWIZARD OF KNOWLEDGE.

• 633 posts
    April 20, 2017 9:52 AM PDT

All joking aside.  I do believe VR has plans to make this a challenging game at all levels, which pretty much implies levelling won't be fast.  They seem to want to make a game which will make people want to stay for a long time, unlike most modern MMOs which just try to make a quick buck off the cash store before subscriptions plumet a few months after release.

That's one of the reasons I decided to back this game.  The pace of the game is expected to be set up for the long term.  I'm tired of playing a game for a few months, then waiting on the next thing to come along.  I want to go back to creating a character or two that I can stick with for a long period of time, and know that the time I put into them isn't quite so fleeting.

• 2886 posts
    April 20, 2017 10:14 AM PDT

Isaya said:

He is not the Desroyer of hopes and dreams

Lol yeah that's Kilsin's job ;)

• 422 posts
    April 20, 2017 10:24 AM PDT

I very much agree with everyone here. With some of the systems VR wants to bring in, like progeny, that will not only slow people down but maybe entice people to reroll. My hope with this system is an end or at least a major limiting of vertical progression and level cap creep. Expansions could completely rewrite the story of the world as we move forward in time. Wars that may turn what is currently a major city into a captured stronghold dungeon, the previous residents having been forced to relocate. Complete reworking of old zones into new areas so as to change the story and leveling experience so that an old player could reroll using progeny and re-experience the game anew from beginning to end, becoming a more powerful player in the end.

VR has so many wonderful ideas they want to bring into the game and still wants to keep with the old school feel. I truely, truely cannot wait to see what they do with the world.

• 173 posts
    April 20, 2017 10:57 AM PDT

Abacda said:

I made a new character in Everquest yesterday on a new server just to try and recall what it was like back in 99'. I hope our level and skill progression is a little more that pace than the game released Tuesday and by Sunday afternoon I'm top level and raiding pace. I know some folks will burn through the content no matter how big the world is but I want to explore and enjoy and work my factions and level skills.

If I am telling someone which way to travel I want to have to hit my sense heading button a dozen times until I succeed and can actually give them a true direction.

If I use a 2hand staff for my first 12 levels and then score a sweet 1hand stick and get a second 1 hander I want to stink at using them until I level my 1hand blunt and my dual wield skills.

Anyway, just a thought. I'm sure I'll be happy either way because of the community. If nothing else is the way I'd like I at least have met some good people here. So look forward to playing with everyone.

You'll get nothing but agreement from me.  Indeed there will be folks who race "to the end" no matter what and that is fine if that is how they choose to play.  I however, like the sense of accomplishment as you sill up your 1h weap skill to use that shiney new toy.  I love just wondering around a forest or even better old ruins seeing what trouble I can find.  Sadly that's a rarity in most games today.  True story:  I was playing FFXIV last night, and as I came out of the cutscene of a dungeon opening it was to the complaining of the rest of the group that I was holding them up.  In an effort to keep the merriment alive, I apologized and we got on with it, but was it really so wrong to get engrossed in the story of the game I am paying to play?

Anyway, as I said i fully agree with you.  Rock on!!

• 294 posts
    April 20, 2017 1:49 PM PDT

I agree with the OP and hope leveling takes a good long while as long as it remains interesting and not a grind. But as Bazgrim has already shown, this is a subject well worn for wear.

• 170 posts
    April 20, 2017 1:55 PM PDT

Yes, If Kilsin doesn't jump on me first for not searching Bazgrim will always post links and then yes it gets shut down within hours. But I'm just so bored playing shooters! I need a good MMO, RPG's are fun and RTS is a blast but I'm tired of work and just want to come home pick something like fishing or alchemy or sense heading or a language and just work on it while I eat dinner and then start looking for a good exp group to stay up all night with so I can be miserable at work the next day. This is the gamer life. Work, game, eat. rinse repeat.

• 119 posts
    April 20, 2017 6:18 PM PDT

abacda... shaman?

• 801 posts
    April 20, 2017 7:23 PM PDT

I really dont believe Brad will make it that easy, even though in the end all players look for ways to powerlvl. The big boys will play 60 hrs a week night and day like normal.

I still remember how hard it was to lvl 50 in everquest. Exploration was a key part of the game. Finding cool spots to fight mobs with friends or solo.

Lets raid Befallen?? like seriously.... in EQ today that level you can solo most of it. Back then it was a serious thing. So was fighting spectres, and Trents.

It took a few months for people to even get close to lvl 50. By then everyone was exhausted, but it was exciting to know a new expansion was coming out.

So easy no, but somewhat hardcore = yes!!!

• 1714 posts
    April 21, 2017 11:43 AM PDT

Abacda said:

I think what you describe is exactly why most people are here. Games today like NWN, Guild Wars, etc, you just devour meaningless content and reach max level in a few days. Then what? This game won't be that. 

• 170 posts
    April 21, 2017 3:39 PM PDT

letsdance said:

abacda... shaman?

Yes, my second character in 1999 was Abacda the shaman on Brell Serillis, I got him to 40 and then had to give my account to my wife who was also hooked on the game. Forcing me to but a new computer and get another account then it was Abacda the beastlord, again on Brell Serillis, until EQ2. EQ2 didn't have beastlords on release so again I was a shaman (defiler). I have been Abacda in over a dozen MMO's.

• 1584 posts
    April 21, 2017 4:05 PM PDT

Klumpedge said:

I agree with the OP and hope leveling takes a good long while as long as it remains interesting and not a grind. But as Bazgrim has already shown, this is a subject well worn for wear.

ok i need to know for i have seen it used like alot but what does "OP" mean?

• 1714 posts
    April 21, 2017 4:11 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Klumpedge said:

ok i need to know for i have seen it used like alot but what does "OP" mean?

Original post(er)

• 9115 posts
    April 21, 2017 7:27 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Abacda said:

You're definitely not the only one because the devs themselves have made it very clear for years that the game will be challenging and take time. And that's one of the reasons that Pantheon attracts should a large portion of the old school demographic. You should know that by now, Abac :P But I'm looking forward to it too!

Check out this post from 2015: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2037/how-long-should-level-1-take

Also, these:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2907/the-pace-of-progression

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2950/the-value-of-hell-levels

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1761/the-difference-between-leveling-and-leveling

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5088/slow-progression-and-fear-of-death

Thanks Baz "the mini crusher" :)

This has been discussed quite a bit and we have made numerous mentions about this in streams, interviews and videos, so I will close it to help consolidate the already multiple threads. ;)