Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Why cosmetic gear? More harm than good.

This topic has been closed.
    • 22 posts
    April 6, 2017 3:50 AM PDT

I've read that there will be cosmetic slots in this game and you're able to turn them off if you don't like it. So what's the point of it then? Why would I want to go through all the hassle to collect rare cosmetic items if there's no guarantee that other players can see it? In that case it'd be more important to make sure my stat gear looks good, something I know that ALL players can see. So already the cosmetic items are proven useless with some simple reasoning.

And that's not all. Since there's going to be different sets of gear for different situations in the game, be it against certain enemies or weather, then shouldn't we WANT to see other players changing their gear? Seeing this would build immersion and help you know which players are prepared or not. Seeing a player wearing cosmetic items totally unfitting for their environment on the other hand would break immersion and lead to confusion. This weather system is a new and interesting idea so I'd love to see how other players handle it but cosmetic items could ruin that.

If you're really going to add cosmetic items then have it use the same slots as actual gear. It could be something like an unstatted crown you could wear to the city/market where you're safe anyways. This would be much better than cosmetic slots players may or may not see or may or may not use. I'm already getting a headache just thinking about it.

This post was edited by Draulius at April 6, 2017 10:42 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    April 6, 2017 4:15 AM PDT

So you can see it yourself and enjoy your character the way you like, why is there a need to force your characters looks on everyone else? You may think you have great taste but to someone else, it is immersion breaking and hurting their eyes while they try and enjoy the game their way.

Not everyone has the same tastes, so it is best if we provide an option to toggle the appearance on/off but keeping in mind we have made it very clear that cosmetic items will be earned in-game, and within our games lore and not easily available to everyone, so it is best to wait and see what we have in store before comparing it to other games and instantly thinking ours will be the same, we know it isn;t everyone's cup of tea and we won't be flooding our game with it as our normal gear will be something to be proud of and be something you will want to show off, not cover up. ;)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at April 6, 2017 4:15 AM PDT
    • 22 posts
    April 6, 2017 4:21 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

So you can see it yourself and enjoy your character the way you like, why is there a need to force your characters looks on everyone else? You may think you have great taste but to someone else, it is immersion breaking and hurting their eyes while they try and enjoy the game their way.

Not everyone has the same tastes, so it is best if we provide an option to toggle the appearance on/off but keeping in mind we have made it very clear that cosmetic items will be earned in-game, and within our games lore and not easily available to everyone, so it is best to wait and see what we have in store before comparing it to other games and instantly thinking ours will be the same, we know it isn;t everyone's cup of tea and we won't be flooding our game with it as our normal gear will be something to be proud of and be something you will want to show off, not cover up. ;)

Not everyone has the same tastes, but I don't need to hide their cosmetics because of that. It's just something that happens. What if their normal gear isn't to my tastes either? I can't turn that off. Regardless, it's what the player had to accomplish to get those items that's really what matters as you say. The same goes for real gear.

So why not have cosmetic items use the same slots as gear? So when you're deep in a dungeon or in a very harsh climate then it makes sense to take off that cosmetic crown (or whatever it may be) and switch to real gear. This adds immersion and prevents cosmetics from being in the way all the time. So it's a win/win for both sides of this debate in my opinion.

This post was edited by Draulius at April 6, 2017 5:27 AM PDT
    • 542 posts
    April 6, 2017 5:13 AM PDT

While I like many cosmetic options on normal gear(and since we have many races and alignments I guess it will be like that)
    ,I was never in love with the separate cosmetic slots.
    If there is one look ingame that is immersion breaking and hurting to the eyes,I believe it does not belong ingame
    Not talking about the patern or how a pocket looks on gear,
    but cosmetic candysticks replacing wands and staves,for example

Some cosmetic options are,well, arguable

but solvable,when it turns out players can't live with them

others are not solvable,like the clown and mickey mouse in the next picture(those are immersion breaking)

If I find someone naked face down in the snow ,it would be an interesting scene.As that appearance would be highly unusual
    It might a crime scene you discovered.i'd immediately wonder what has happened and why he/she isn't wearing appropriate clothes.
    Maybe I might even end up investigating it(well the scene,not necessarily the naked body)
    If the target would be alive ,I guess it would be vulnerable and weak if it has been exposed to such harsh conditions in such a manner.

• 9115 posts
    April 6, 2017 5:51 AM PDT

Draulius said:

Kilsin said:

Not everyone has the same tastes, but I don't need to hide their cosmetics because of that. It's just something that happens. What if their normal gear isn't to my tastes either? I can't turn that off. Regardless, it's what the player had to accomplish to get those items that's really what matters as you say. The same goes for real gear.

So why not have cosmetic items use the same slots as gear? So when you're deep in a dungeon or in a very harsh climate then it makes sense to take off that cosmetic crown (or whatever it may be) and switch to real gear. This adds immersion and prevents cosmetics from being in the way all the time. So it's a win/win for both sides of this debate in my opinion.

Because we can't cater to one side of our community (who like cosmetics) when the other side (who dislike cosmetics) is just as large in numbers, we provide options, you toggle the ones you want and play our game your way, while others toggle what they want and play the game their way. No one has other people's tastes forced on to them and everyone is happy, it really is that simple.

We have not revealed anything significant about our items/gear let alone gone into any details about possible cosmetic gear so it is best to wait until we do reveal more before judging it, my friend.

• 23 posts
    April 6, 2017 6:06 AM PDT

Hey Hey..been away from forums for a bit....busy busy!

I kind of fall in between on cosmetic gear. I actually don't mind it, and would probably go for it in some cases, if it isn't the silly stuff. While I realize I'm playing a fantasy based game, I'm not a huge fan of seeing people ride by on a purple or rainbow colored horse or something. Similarly, a  clown outfit or something, I'm not a huge fan of, IF the outfit doesn't fit the environment. What do I mean?

Would it be possible to see a clown costume in a medieval fantasy setting? Of course, I would imagine it similar to a court jester. Would you see a clown that looked like a McDonalds mascot? ...no.

I'll have to go back and find the topic on the costumes specifically. I wouldn't be thrilled if they were going to be doing a shop that had the costumes on it for people to buy. Farming them in the game? I think that is a great idea. End of the day, I really only want to see a subscription based game.

I realize the company is a for-profit venture, and respect the need for that. If they were looking at a shop option for cosmetics though, I honestly would go so far as to say, I'd rather farm them from a dungeon or have to make them via a profession. I would even be fine with the idea of paying a slightly higher subscription fee every month (by a couple bucks) in order to "unlock" a feature allowing me to wear the costumes. ...I'm not sure if something like that would ultimately work though, or go over well with the entire market base. I've just seen so many shops play a role in ruining games (usually not directly) that I really hope VR is able to hold to a standard of no shops. 

There are numerous ways for VR to make money centered around the support ofthe game, so am hopeful that they buck the trend, as they have demonstrated very strong core prinicples, and are able to think outside of the box when it comes to generated the needed revenue to support a long term franchise with Pantheon.

• 338 posts
    April 6, 2017 6:35 AM PDT

What if cosmetic gear actually had a purpose ?

Like a rogue wearing a disguise to infiltrate a society.

Cosmetic clothing might have faction adjustments built into it that would be useful to speak with certain NPC.

Maybe theres a really warm jacket that has no stats but prevents you from freezing.

Formal attire might be required to attend certain in game events.

Either way I would like to see cosmetic items overwrite the actual armor instead of just covering up the graphic.

If you switch out to cosmetic gear it should be for a reason or just for hangin out in town looking dapper.

My 2 c,

Kiz~

• 129 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:06 AM PDT

I like cosmetic gear of any kind.

It doesn't have to have a purpose, it can be silly and stupid. I knew a marine who kicked in doors with a disney princess mask. Nothing says 'Merica like Disney giving you the butt of a rifle to the face as he put it.

Sure, EQ was cool people. Running around and wearing loot from dead creatues we murdered. You know what was annoying? Finally finding a randomized gear set that looked decent together (not that you had a choice what you wore because you aimed for BIS and will probably do so here), then looting lime green shoes. Or those tanks with red greaves, blue BP, purple gloves, and a gold helmet. No. Please not again. I was sitting in EC yesterday on P99 looking around the tunnel at all the high end chars and twinks that exist now and the ONLY players who wore uniformed armor were the dedicated traders wearing steel plate or rubicite. Above and beyond those mish mash high end tanks.

I'd rather just run around in some cosmetic set, silly or not. I already look like a warrior clown at this point armor wise. What difference does it make if I can have cosmetic gear that I can make uniform. Actually wear armor as someone would actually wear it. How many knights or rogues do you see in history or other video games that have armor made of piece mail? None. They are all uniformed, designed to fit together. You should see my rogue. Barbed dragon boots (no graphic), blue legs, blue arms, chain (fungi) or velious tan jeweled chest piece (when grouped), steel gloves, gold mesh bracer, no helmet... It looks ridiculous on a barbarian. Only way I can make it look decent is in DE form, but still barely.

I'll even pay MT for it because I dislike this mish mash armor so much. Lol.

This post was edited by Rogue at April 6, 2017 7:08 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:14 AM PDT

The short answer is - many people like cosmetic gear, it doesn't conflict with the lore (nothing in Pantheon lore says that people can't dress up or be silly, in other words, act like people) and having it will attract more people than preventing it would. Personally I am no big fan but it should be permitted as long as it is gotten in-game and not ((shudder)) sold in a store or site.

• 22 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:17 AM PDT

Rogue said:

It doesn't have to have a purpose, it can be silly and stupid. I knew a marine who kicked in doors with a disney princess mask. Nothing says 'Merica like Disney giving you the butt of a rifle to the face as he put it.

Sure, EQ was cool people. Running around and wearing loot from dead creatues we murdered. You know what was annoying? Finally finding a randomized gear set that looked decent together (not that you had a choice what you wore because you aimed for BIS and will probably do so here), then looting lime green shoes. Or those tanks with red greaves, blue BP, purple gloves, and a gold helmet. No. Please not again. I was sitting in EC yesterday on P99 looking around the tunnel at all the high end chars and twinks that exist now and the ONLY players who wore uniformed armor were the dedicated traders wearing steel plate or rubicite. Above and beyond those mish mash high end tanks.

I'd rather just run around in some cosmetic set, silly or not. I already look like a warrior clown at this point armor wise. What difference does it make if I can have cosmetic gear that I can make uniform. Actually wear armor as someone would actually wear it. How many knights or rogues do you see in history or other video games that have armor made of piece mail? None. They are all uniformed, designed to fit together. You should see my rogue. Barbed dragon boots (no graphic), blue legs, blue arms, chain (fungi) or velious tan jeweled chest piece (when grouped), steel gloves, gold mesh bracer, no helmet... It looks ridiculous on a barbarian. Only way I can make it look decent is in DE form, but still barely.

Or just have the gear in the game look pretty good to begin with? It's 2017, the difference in how gear looks isn't only going to be colors anymore.

This post was edited by Draulius at April 6, 2017 7:17 AM PDT
    • 129 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:23 AM PDT

Draulius said:

Rogue said:

Or just have the gear in the game look pretty good to begin with? It's 2017, the difference in how gear looks isn't only going to be colors anymore.

You can't make every piece of armor in the game work together no matter how "pretty good" they look. It's not possible, but more to the point that is exactly the issue - it is not only the colors. Especially if you play a class that can wear plate, chain, and leather. Inevitably you will mix and match gear that will always kind of look like it works but it never really does. What is thought of as immersive becomes much less immersive in practice. Making "the gear in the game look pretty good to begin with" is not a viable option.

Then again, I suppose if they make all the cosmetic items look "pretty good to begin with" then we won't have an issue either. Right?

This post was edited by Rogue at April 6, 2017 7:23 AM PDT
    • 542 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:36 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

My only concern is separating and dividing the community.
    We cannot please everyone 100% of the time, we know that and we will not be trying too, but by splitting into so many servers,
    it would essentially tear apart the fundamental core of this game and what we are trying to build on, the community, which this type of game relies heavily on to survive just like it did with EQ and VG.

we are targetting a much smaller niche audience that will need to rely on each other and community spirit to succeed.

You mentioned this in a ruleset topic ,I agreed entirely with
    There is a similar issue with separating cosmetic items from 'normal' items here.ALthough that issue is less pronounced

CLoth make the man,and how we dress affects how likely it is for us to be approached/find like minded individuals.(and how curious we are about other players/how approachable they are)
    That is one reason I think it might be a bad idea to have a toggle for a thing that affects the formation of social bonds in such a significant way.
    It affects how players embrace each other,the community
    So I believe seperation here too might tear apart the fundamental core of this game,what you are trying to build on:community.
    Many try to please the broadest possible audience,and ,unfortunately,end up pleasing fewer.

I like your suggestion that cosmetic gear has purpose, Angrykiz
    Would be fine with cosmetic items overwriting the actual armor instead of just covering up the graphics
    All these ‘shipwrecked’ fragments of many different realms and worlds, bringing their unique civilizations and Celestial deities with them.
    Gives many material to work with to please both crowds ,without having to separate it between cosmetic and normal wears.
    Maybe each few months ,new civilizations could be discovered when fragments 'shipwreck',bringing about new armor styles.

This post was edited by Fluffy at April 6, 2017 7:37 AM PDT
    • 22 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:36 AM PDT

Rogue said:

Draulius said:

Rogue said:

You can't make every piece of armor in the game work together no matter how "pretty good" they look. It's not possible, but more to the point that is exactly the issue - it is not only the colors. Especially if you play a class that can wear plate, chain, and leather. Inevitably you will mix and match gear that will always kind of look like it works but it never really does. What is thought of as immersive becomes much less immersive in practice. Making "the gear in the game look pretty good to begin with" is not a viable option.

Then again, I suppose if they make all the cosmetic items look "pretty good to begin with" then we won't have an issue either. Right?

I think other than the color tints Everquest had a good idea. Same armor graphics depending on your race and it all matched, and then the next set would look different when you went up a tier. Other than the color tints the armor in Everquest would have looked just fine actually, even if a few of the pieces were different. It will further help if we get the option to hide helm, hide cape, etc. There's also the idea of dying your armor but that comes with potential problems as well.

And remember we won't be mixing every piece of armor. Warriors will generally stick to plate and so on.

Also any idea if we'll be able to hide player's vanity pets?

This post was edited by Draulius at April 6, 2017 7:43 AM PDT
    • 22 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:41 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Draulius said:

Kilsin said:

Because we can't cater to one side of our community (who like cosmetics) when the other side (who dislike cosmetics) is just as large in numbers.

So it's literally 50/50? Did you do a poll?

• 308 posts
    April 6, 2017 7:43 AM PDT

Unfortunately the days of knowing exactly what people are wearing or carrying appear to be gone.  However, without knowing more, i will just say I hope you guys plan to either prevent or have a zero tolerance stand on people who abuse these systems.  I can remember playing rift when players started dying all their armor white after the Infernal Dawn mage helm (pointy hat) came out and ran around making klan comments.  

• 483 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:04 AM PDT

For those that don't know, the cosmetic gear will work like WoW's transmog, if you want an item appearance you still need to acquire it in game ! (pretty sure brad confirmed this). To my understanding, VR will not create any extra quipement just for cosmetic stuff, instead they let you change the appearance of your gear with models that are already in game, like WoW.

And VR gives you the choice, if you don't wanna see cosmetic gear you use "adventure mode" (that's what I'll do allways) where you see every single character with the gear they actually have equiped.

• 129 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:12 AM PDT

Draulius said:

Rogue said:

Draulius said:

Rogue said:

I think other than the color tints Everquest had a good idea. Same armor graphics depending on your race and it all matched, and then the next set would look different when you went up a tier. Other than the color tints the armor in Everquest would have looked just fine actually, even if a few of the pieces were different. It will further help if we get the option to hide helm, hide cape, etc. There's also the idea of dying your armor but that comes with potential problems as well.

And remember we won't be mixing every piece of armor. Warriors will generally stick to plate and so on.

Also any idea if we'll be able to hide player's vanity pets?

I don't know what you are talking about it all matching. It did not and does not match, at all because you have different designs per expansion. Old world, kunark, velious, pop, all had different looks to armor, plus the tiers within each expansion (cloth, leather, chain, plate) - I am sitting in EC right now selling and looking at this lol. Hide helmet/hide cape is an old and well known feature that makes little difference and just exists to either A) cover up bad helmet design or B) allow people to see their highly customizable faces.

Dyes have been said by devs to not be planned in pantheon because the had stated they wanted their armor to be recognizable. People will seek BIS and because they seek BIS, cosmetic gear is a wonderful thing. It was also a blast to use in EQ2.

On the vanity pets, no one has mentioned the ability to hide pets.

• 2886 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:17 AM PDT

jpedrote said:

For those that don't know, the cosmetic gear will work like WoW's transmog, if you want an item appearance you still need to acquire it in game ! (pretty sure brad confirmed this). To my understanding, VR will not create any extra quipement just for cosmetic stuff, instead they let you change the appearance of your gear with models that are already in game, like WoW.

And VR gives you the choice, if you don't wanna see cosmetic gear you use "adventure mode" (that's what I'll do allways) where you see every single character with the gear they actually have equiped.

I'd like a link for that because I'm not entirely sure that's true. Yes, you will have to acquire cosmetic items in-game (there won't be a cash shop), but as far as I know, they haven't confirmed whether or not there will be dedicated cosmetic items or how one will go about applying those appearances.

And yes, each player gets to choose how they view other players. Don't like cosmetic gear because it ruins your immersion and/or you want to know what other people are wearing? Then toggle it off. Do like cosmetic gear? Toggle it on. It's pretty simple and a good solution, but apparently there's still no pleasing everyone.

This has been beaten to death here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2126/appearance-gear-and-weapons

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 6, 2017 8:19 AM PDT
    • 23 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:57 AM PDT

jpedrote said:

^ I applaud this then. It seems like there are pretty strong feelings on some of it. Honestly, my concern is in a great game. If there is a costume that is silly to me, I just wouldn't wear it ultimately. It is not something that is going to suddenly make a game good or bad. ...if we are talking a system in which I am able to copy the look of one item over to another and calling that "cosmetic gear", and are items/gear acquired in the game, I think that is a great thing to do. My line on this type of stuff is a shop based model, which Pantheon isn't as I understand it...

• 23 posts
    April 6, 2017 8:59 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Because we can't cater to one side of our community (who like cosmetics) when the other side (who dislike cosmetics) is just as large in numbers, we provide options, you toggle the ones you want and play our game your way, while others toggle what they want and play the game their way. No one has other people's tastes forced on to them and everyone is happy, it really is that simple.

We have not revealed anything significant about our items/gear let alone gone into any details about possible cosmetic gear so it is best to wait until we do reveal more before judging it, my friend.

ah, missed this earlier. /clap

• 22 posts
    April 6, 2017 9:10 AM PDT

Mismatched armor is a staple of old MMORPG's. It might have seemed silly at first but it's what we've grown used to seeing and now I wouldn't have it any other way. Reminds me of a bunch of ragtag adventurers looting whatever works best to get by. Oh right, that's exactly what we are in the game. And every piece of armor tells a story, either you got a good deal at the market or had a tough fight in some dungeon and got a lucky roll. It's stats are also telling of your playstyle. It says so much about a player. Cosmetic items on the other hand you see them (for the millionth time) and you know the player just bought it because they think it looks cool, and then you decide to turn it off because their actual gear tells you so much more about them. The novelty of cosmetics will wear off fast, and then it will become something that's just in the way and distracting from the actual game.

If I feel like roleplaying as a civilian then I'll wear some cloth. If I feel like roleplaying as a cultist or scholar then I'll wear some robes. And so on. There's nothing cosmetic items offer that normal gear doesn't. It's completely redundant. The only reason there would be cosmetic slots is so you can fight a dragon or something while wearing your silly costume which to me isn't justifiable. Keep it to one slot.

This post was edited by Draulius at April 6, 2017 9:19 AM PDT
    • 142 posts
    April 6, 2017 9:10 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

This has been beaten to death here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2126/appearance-gear-and-weapons

Preach it Baz!  This topic has been beaten, put in the ground, buried, resurrected, beaten again, and tossed into the depths of the ocean.

Let it rest in peace.  Please!

• 483 posts
    April 6, 2017 9:14 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I'd like a link for that because I'm not entirely sure that's true. Yes, you will have to acquire cosmetic items in-game (there won't be a cash shop), but as far as I know, they haven't confirmed whether or not there will be dedicated cosmetic items or how one will go about applying those appearances.

And yes, each player gets to choose how they view other players. Don't like cosmetic gear because it ruins your immersion and/or you want to know what other people are wearing? Then toggle it off. Do like cosmetic gear? Toggle it on. It's pretty simple and a good solution, but apparently there's still no pleasing everyone.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5400/question-about-the-new-faq/view/page/3

First post from Brad on the 3rd page.

When i said "To my understanding, VR will not create any extra quipement just for cosmetic stuff" i wasn't thinking about rep rewards and similar stuff so I don't know if there is plans for gear with no stats thats only used for it's looks. So I might be wrong here, but ye i was just assuming from what Brad said.

• 129 posts
    April 6, 2017 9:36 AM PDT

Draulius said:

Mismatched armor is a staple of old MMORPG's. It might have seemed silly at first but it's what we've grown used to seeing and now I wouldn't have it any other way. Reminds me of a bunch of ragtag adventurers looting whatever works best to get by. Oh right, that's exactly what we are in the game. And every piece of armor tells a story, either you got a good deal at the market or had a tough fight in some dungeon and got a lucky roll. It's stats are also telling of your playstyle. It says so much about a player. Cosmetic items on the other hand you see them (for the millionth time) and you know the player just bought it because they think it looks cool, and then you decide to turn it off because their actual gear tells you so much more about them. The novelty of cosmetics will wear off fast, and then it will become something that's just in the way and distracting from the actual game.

If I feel like roleplaying as a civilian I'll wear some cloth. If I feel like roleplaying as a monk or scholar I'll wear some robes. And so on. There's nothing cosmetic items offer that normal gear doesn't. It's completely redundant.

I understand your nostalgia, really I do. The problem with nostalgia is it wears off. P99 was very nostalgic after launch. 7 years later however, it's just another day of staring at people who despite having all the success in the world, look like 5 year olds who haven't learned how to dress correctly. Long gone are the days where I am too broke or weak to either purchase/loot high quality items/MQs, long gone are the days where acquiring anything is anything but a /random game on a nightly raid of the same ol same ol. I can solo dragons and sell their loot to twink my alts and other similarly leveled toons..

Eventually, this is what Pantheon will be. Hours of camping the same loot, running the same raid, racing to the same mobs, competing for the same loot, until that loot is obtained and you have the best edge to compete against the next set of challenges in the new expansion. It doesn't really matter how much content the devs try to put in place, the old mechanics suffer from the same old fate.

Pantheon isn't re-writing the book. They are giving us a lot of what was already done, modernized, in a brand spanking new package that looks incredible but doesn't seem to change any of the old problems. As much as they will innovate where they can at the end of the day, I'd like cosmetic items so when I attend raid nights, I can be dressed like the successful dragon slayer that I am. In an outfit that doesn't make me look like some homeless magical dumpster salvage diver.

You talk about play styles and how dress shows how people are? This is just another one. Those who seek the BIS in style.

This post was edited by Rogue at April 6, 2017 9:41 AM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    April 6, 2017 10:13 AM PDT

Lol, it's this thread again. If people really want others to see their hard earned cosmetic gear, they can always put it into their actual gear slots. Personally, I think we should only have one set of gear slots, but if they insist on cosmetics, I will insist on toggling them off so I see what people are actually wearing.