Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

@Brad, Dumpster Diving

• 2138 posts
    April 5, 2017 10:36 AM PDT

Nephretiti said:

EQI [...]  Greater Light Stones [...]- then run them to newbs in Toxx Forrest.  Erudites had VERY poor vision and the GLS was a godsend.  

Ha!  I did the same thing!  I would stock up on split paws, and then run to toxx to give away those, to newbies.

I remember how bad my eyesight was as an Erudite, plus being a magician and handing those out kinda fit because I was giving them something that THEY could summon (like a mage!) and it would not vanish right away. The paw I think had 5 charges, and the paw would not poof on camping although the summoned firefly,would.

• 2886 posts
    April 17, 2017 8:56 AM PDT

I'm glad that there will be dumpster diving, but will this also be the only way to buy back an item you accidentally sold? Meaning you will likely have to suffer a loss to get it back?

• 432 posts
    April 17, 2017 9:14 AM PDT

I liked that feature in EQ .

It was like looking for a treasure - one never knew if and when something really interesting appeared . I was routinely using it for tradeskill supplies (pelts and silk in Commons, Black sapphires in Firiona Vie, weapons to be transformed in metal ingots ...) . In the early days 99, I wrote up a list of most merchants of Norrath and for each of them I had the kind of material they would have with a very high probability . For people interested by tradeskilling, checking mechants was a must and often a fun and rewarding activity .

I am glad that it will be in Pantheon too . I would prefer that a part of the inventory stays hidden because this gives an impression of gold mining - it often fails but sometimes one hits a mother lode :) But that's just me .

• 44 posts
    April 17, 2017 12:31 PM PDT

I liked this feature, but I also think that there should be some automatic cleanup of items that had been on the vendor for an extended period of time. IIRC in EQ this only occured on a zone reset, and I remember some of the vendors that frequently had stuff sold to them would have massive collections of junk that nobody will ever buy that you had to sort through.

• 264 posts
    April 17, 2017 3:37 PM PDT

I remember in EQ , sometimes the vendor would want a crazy price for something like a Velium Short Sword but a Diamond may be cheap. I managed to make a plat here and there but never got heavy into it. I can see where it could be fun to try and make some money this way.

I played an Erudite also, I found out about the gypsy camp in the Karanas that would give great Plat for a Greater Light Stone, I would run all over Wisp Island to try and get some. When I was young I was killed by a Mad Man on that Island after coming back on the Boat from making a Mail run for the Antonican Bards. My wife laughed so hard, mainly because she said only I would bump into a Mad Man and try to attack him. Ahhh yes good memories.

I hope " Dumpster Diving" will be a viable thing in the game.

• 109 posts
    April 17, 2017 8:41 PM PDT

Game in a game you say?  I played quite a bit of gems once upon a time. :) http://imgur.com/a/uRvfu

• 1714 posts
    April 18, 2017 2:46 PM PDT

I could be wrong, but I don't think the design of having items sold to a vendor not show up until you cleared the ones at the top was intentional. I also don't think it was a good mechanic. It was a bug. How does that even make sense from a RP perspective? It would make more sense if your alignment or faction opened up items for sale. 

That said, "dumpster diving" as you put it, is a time honored tradition that I hope they continue. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at April 18, 2017 2:50 PM PDT