Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Loadable spell sets

• 441 posts
    July 18, 2018 1:16 PM PDT

disposalist said:

I would really like to see the ability to cast from the codex even if it takes longer to total avoid the hotbar issue for incidental ability use.

If it's a longer cast no one would do it habitually but if you *did* have to do it in combat it would have an equivalent 'cost' to hotbar fiddling and re-memming without the actually annoyance of hotbar fiddling and re-memming.

And of course it makes it loads more convenient for buffing noobs or translocating a friend or summoning food or whatever that you don't do often.

For none combat and when out of combat, I dont see a problem if it was the same casting speed. Druid and Wizard ports, Cleric and Shaman buffs, self buffs. ANy time you can remove tedium from any part of a game, it needs to be looked at. Even more so for classes like Shamans who will spend allot of time casting buffs over and over and over again, even if they are just standing around. Can I get a buff please Mr Shaman?

• 191 posts
    July 18, 2018 1:22 PM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

For non combat and when out of combat, I dont see a problem if it was the same casting speed.

This seems like an outstanding idea.

• 752 posts
    July 18, 2018 1:31 PM PDT

So basically what is proposed is the hotbutton bar is a "quick cast" functionality where say an open spell/ability codex window would be a standard longer cast time regardless of in or out of combat? 

I would be ok with having a quick cast bonus for having it mem'd or something along those lines. I think they really want to make choices matter though. So we might be stuck with the single hotbar and having it locked when in combat. But how deep into combat do you have to be? Can you mez all monsters and remem something really fast? Is it group or raid or single player aggroe that locks the mem'ing. 

Imagine being in a raid where people are clearing junk mobs and you are trying to mem buffs. HOLD ALL PULLS/AGGRO WE ARE BUFFING/MEM'ING SPELLS/SKILLS. Kindof an arbitrary time waste.

• 191 posts
    July 18, 2018 1:50 PM PDT

The key for me is limiting "from-codex" casting to non-combat spells/abilities.  This would be similar to how Ritual spells work in D&D.

• 2752 posts
    July 18, 2018 2:18 PM PDT

Even in combat? If in combat, buffs (any spells/abilities really) are combat abilities. If you can just buff freely from your spellbook while fighting then mobs that dispel/purge buffs suddenly become a non-issue, and there are plenty of other interesting encounter options that become far less impactful. 

• 191 posts
    July 18, 2018 2:29 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Even in combat?

Probably not.  I'd be willing to test it in alpha, but I think you're right about why that'd be a bad idea.

• 752 posts
    July 18, 2018 2:40 PM PDT

For me: I am ok with the lockout as long as its single player aggro lockout. There are too many instances where having it locked out by group aggro just destroys the possibility to think quickly. Give us, as pullers, the option to either mez or kite the mobs until our team is ready for the encounter. Yes, the puller or pull team will be locked out, but our healers/support will have the ability to quickly react to what is incoming and load something quickly, or just plain finish buffing and load the needed fight ability/spell. Boss mobs/encounters would be super hard to pull off a remap of hotbuttons so you would make sure you are ready before rushing the room anyway. So this is mainly for single group combat. 

• 1120 posts
    July 18, 2018 4:05 PM PDT

Most games have individual aggro.  I cant recall a game that has groupwide or raidwide aggro outside of a certain range.

You also have to remember, the way everquest is designed (pulling mobs as opposed to fighting most at spawns) yields to a different need for group and raid combat chaining.

I've been in situations where it takes several minutes to pull the mob into camp, I cant expect everyone to be sitting on their thumbs locked in combat.

• 752 posts
    July 18, 2018 5:21 PM PDT
    Ya ive just heard whispers of group aggro lockouts and that scares me
    • 441 posts
    July 18, 2018 5:55 PM PDT

Shai said:

Iksar said:

Even in combat?

Probably not.  I'd be willing to test it in alpha, but I think you're right about why that'd be a bad idea.

Simple, make it non-combat skills and only out of combat. 

• 752 posts
    July 18, 2018 6:03 PM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

Shai said:

Iksar said:

Even in combat?

Simple, make it non-combat skills and only out of combat. 

The problem with "non-combat skills" is once you join combat everything is "combat skills". So i mean really.... it comes down to either all spells/skills are affected by individual character aggro lockouts. OR. >>> everything else.