Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How do you choose your name?

• 63 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:54 AM PST

Usually I use in-game random name generator. Then I take one I like and alter it slightly to create my character name. I like it best when the name generator creates race appropriate/styled names so I can get a feel for typical names, then use that to put my own spin on the name. =P

• 170 posts
    January 23, 2017 8:09 AM PST

I have been using the same pool of names since EverQuest. I got the game in 99" and the naming policy didn't let me pick mythological names, historical names or regular names because most were already taken. What I had to do was just start the phonetic method and the just plain made up. So now I have a little notepad with like 2 dozen names to try and use.

• 1618 posts
    January 23, 2017 8:49 AM PST

I have been using the same names in MMOs for many years. The main two are nicknames for me, and the others based off fairytales that fit my characters style.

• 393 posts
    January 23, 2017 9:00 AM PST

I try to keep my characters names relevant to their class wether in definition or sound (i.e. Dhagra - Rogue toon in Rift). I use google translate a lot and sometimes refer to online Elven language dictionaries as well. Like a few who have already posted, I work on lists until something sounds perfect. New names for each game I play.

This post was edited by OakKnower at January 23, 2017 9:01 AM PST
    • 38 posts
    January 23, 2017 9:13 AM PST

With threads like these! >=)

-W

PS- (j/k)

edit: spacing...

This post was edited by Witter at January 23, 2017 9:13 AM PST
    • 780 posts
    January 23, 2017 9:26 AM PST

Witter said:

-W

PS- (j/k)

LOL.  Damn, now I can't be Shucklighter anymore.  Witter stole it from me.  =(

• 44 posts
    January 23, 2017 9:32 AM PST

I have a best friend that has been my killing buddy for nearly a decade. Sometimes we use characters from different mythologies or obscure movie references. Recently we started calling eachother by similar nicknames. Either way we are altoholics, so we most likely make our main characters based off of those nicknames and then resort to old habbits.

• 5 posts
    January 23, 2017 9:33 AM PST

Usually for me, I try to choose a name that has some sort've significance in-game as per the lore of the title.

If not I just take the lazy route and I use my username that I have for everything. 

I've tried taking the time to look up mythos and use a bastardization of a name, but it usually doesn't turn out the best. 

• 44 posts
    January 23, 2017 9:48 AM PST

Concenaros said:

Usually for me, I try to choose a name that has some sort've significance in-game as per the lore of the title.

If not I just take the lazy route and I use my username that I have for everything. 

I've tried taking the time to look up mythos and use a bastardization of a name, but it usually doesn't turn out the best. 

I like the idea of getting into the lore. I may steal that ideea. My friend has a scout in another game. Her name is Petrychor. For Doctor Whho fans... it means the smell of dust after the rain. It is from one of her favorite doctors episodes. That is a fun way to name a character. 

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    January 23, 2017 10:01 AM PST

Both my main and main alt's name have been around since a (brief) foray into pen and paper D&D games during college.

Roenick is obviously named after the NHL All-Star loudmouth — which some would argue fits my personality.

Trochanter (which was orginally and sometimes a last name) is a bone in the human body. The GREAT trochanter of the femur is a large, irregular, quadrilateral eminence and a part of the skeletal system.

This post was edited by Roenick at January 23, 2017 10:02 AM PST
    • 17 posts
    January 23, 2017 10:02 AM PST

Trochantor a good name for a Necro I think. :-)

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    January 23, 2017 10:04 AM PST

Redwolf said:

Trochantor a good name for a Necro I think. :-)

Usually an enchanter ;)

• 17 posts
    January 23, 2017 10:08 AM PST

I have played Enchanters on Live and on P99. My Chanter on 99 was maxed out in level, Epic and POA gear when I left. He also maxed out all crafts too which if you know EQ, was harsh on the ole wristies. On live his last name was Tacobell lol. 

Personally though, with these races, names I select will be tied to the race somehow. On Live i also had a Frog Monk named Hopfist Croakfoot. For a Skar or Dark Myr? I think they'd have much different names lore wise. Possibly with Apostrophies like Al'Len or Blunt, one syllable names for an ogre like Grog or Blat. 

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 23, 2017 4:12 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 23, 2017 10:33 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Do you have a special method of choosing a name for your in-game characters and if so, what is it?

I think about what my character is going to be..and then I make up a name..I don't take names from books, movies etc.    Sometimes I pick first names that resemble the elements, earth, wind, fire, water.   But not always...whatever pops into my imagination.    Sometimes I use the random name generator (assuming we'll have one of those)  and when I see a name that kind of fits what I want I adapt it change the lettering around.     Usually doesn't take long,  I don't spend hours agonizing over the first name of my character.     I have a few set surnames as well..that I've used over the years.

Cana

• 1921 posts
    January 23, 2017 10:37 AM PST

I use:

http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

with ' BVC ' as a name generation template.  Produces names like:

Teed
    Hys
    Ceum
    Yaum
    Whuld
    Bid
    Bit
    Shoeg
    Bloush
    Feyt
    Chreyr
    Tiat
    Smoos
    Crart
    Schayd
    Strik
    Hem
    Hool
    Heil
    Whes
    Cuil
    Thril
    Reif
    Zhey
    Moup
    Kois
    Chrut
    Goss
    Leyld
    Kiss
    Giph
    Troup
    Chroen
    Sleip
    Nuild
    Snyk
    Roird
    Fygh
    Rheem
    Thaeq
    Chib
    Laes
    Smos
    Clylt
    Theul
    Threill
    Sel
    Keald
    Beush
    Cair
    Cies
    Cael
    Snaild
    Thriet
    Treurr
    Snaelt
    Raer
    Riz
    Crias
    Durr
    Layld
    Saut
    Roes
    Schar
    Hiant
    Laes
    Beust
    Quaerd
    Deild
    Faic
    Zhoon
    Snayk
    Roeck
    Tech
    Duil
    Zheis
    Soun
    Toes
    Miss
    Steyld
    Theuch
    Yaus
    Koess
    Nes
    Clen
    Nail
    Cheych
    Liek
    Sail
    Loib
    Rhuilt
    Cril
    Ril
    Stoiph
    Cheyn
    Seil
    Nis
    Narr
    Lard
    Loul
    Reenn
    Zaid
    Veil
    Phout
    Chiand
    Room
    Blain
    Naer
    Rugh
    Tiegh
    Lyn
    Reul
    Woik
    Bah
    Boek
    Sois
    Thrier
    Tag
    Dort

And my forum name is -always- different than my in-game character names, now.  Made that mistake once, never again. :)

X

• 129 posts
    January 23, 2017 11:17 AM PST

I tend to attempt to put a couple words with meanings together and develop an actual back story to who that person is and who they may end up being in the context of whatever MMO I happen to be playing. In this case, you guys have given me plenty of lore to use as a base in case my stand by is already taken. :)

• 110 posts
    January 23, 2017 1:27 PM PST

Abacda said:

I have been using the same pool of names since EverQuest. I got the game in 99" and the naming policy didn't let me pick mythological names, historical names or regular names because most were already taken. What I had to do was just start the phonetic method and the just plain made up. So now I have a little notepad with like 2 dozen names to try and use.

Speaking of phoentics, I knew a guy who everyone called Salt. It took me forever to figure out where he got it because his ingame name was (approximately ... it was 15 years ago!) Enaaceel Achtuoh. And I aced science throughout school for goodness sake! I also should have gotten it earlier because his screen name on the guild boards was Salt Water.

• 110 posts
    January 23, 2017 1:29 PM PST

Roenick said:

Roenick is obviously named after the NHL All-Star loudmouth — which some would argue fits my personality.

Dude .. I'm totally making a characer and calling him StamkosWas NeverGoingToToronto. (It's spelled "StamkosWas NeverGoingToToronto, but it's pronounced 'Sasha Sparkledust.' "

Think the GMs will buy that? lol

• 51 posts
    January 23, 2017 1:36 PM PST

Nowadays with ping tools like Discord, Slack, etc. as well as Mumble, TS, etc. It can be hard to differentiate the player name on these tools with the in-game name. I.e. I have 2 50 level toons call Bob and Ted. For this particular raid I choose to play Ted, though I am still Bob in TS, (too lazy to change my name label I guess). Friends would always know that you are on, etc.
    For those players that choose to do so, it might be a nice option to be able to use one name for all your toons on one account. But again, this would just be an option.

• 5 posts
    January 23, 2017 1:42 PM PST

Armyguy0 said:

Concenaros said:

I like the idea of getting into the lore. I may steal that ideea. My friend has a scout in another game. Her name is Petrychor. For Doctor Whho fans... it means the smell of dust after the rain. It is from one of her favorite doctors episodes. That is a fun way to name a character. 

Feel free my man. 

I'm not the best person when it comes to coming up with names for Characters, but I at least try to not have like... "LadiesMan217" or something that I've come to see in MMO's the past little while. 

My favourite I came up with recently was for my Argonian Templar in ESO named, 'Fixes-Your-Bones'.

• 138 posts
    January 23, 2017 1:52 PM PST

Witter said:

-W

PS- (j/k)

CRAP!!!! can you impliment pre-pre-pre-pre alpha name reservation purchasing ASAP???????????????

• 42 posts
    January 23, 2017 2:53 PM PST

EverQuest: I used the name generator(first names)then from there I went with friends/ loved ones whom have passed away.For 17 years in Everquest I have used the same names,and other games as well.Surnames ,well that took me a few years.

• 93 posts
    January 23, 2017 3:07 PM PST
    I always try to think up unique names. Just brainstorm ideas with different combinations of the start and end of names. I try and keep them different from anyone else. Have a few go to names now that I've used over several games.

Kilsin, how do you come up with character names?
    • VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    January 23, 2017 3:14 PM PST

Lghtngfan said:

Roenick said:

Dude .. I'm totally making a characer and calling him StamkosWas NeverGoingToToronto. (It's spelled "StamkosWas NeverGoingToToronto, but it's pronounced 'Sasha Sparkledust.' "

Think the GMs will buy that? lol

No. At least Roenick sounds like it could be a fantasy name!

Maybe just go with Stamkos TorontNO. Or maybe just Lecavalier Snapshot (Ranger) or Hedman Boardcrusher (Ogre Warrior) ;)

• 121 posts
    January 23, 2017 3:32 PM PST

In Vanguard I had a little puppy looking Raki Pally named Iponu which also happened to be his battle cry "I P on U!"