Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How do you choose your name?

• 9115 posts
    January 23, 2017 3:57 AM PST

Do you have a special method of choosing a name for your in-game characters and if so, what is it?

• 279 posts
    January 23, 2017 4:05 AM PST

Staring at the character creation window for 3-4 hours trying to think of one.

• 17 posts
    January 23, 2017 4:55 AM PST

I have a few I always use in every game. PRotF will be no different.

• 9115 posts
    January 23, 2017 4:56 AM PST

Pantz said:

Staring at the character creation window for 3-4 hours trying to think of one.

Hahaha, that sounds like me after I grab my main and a couple of usual alt names I use :)

• 9115 posts
    January 23, 2017 4:57 AM PST

Redwolf said:

I have a few I always use in every game. PRotF will be no different.

Yeah, nice, I think a lot of people will be scrambling to secure their favourite character names through pledges :)

• 411 posts
    January 23, 2017 5:15 AM PST

EQ1's auto name generator solved that issue for me. The only variations I use are because it can't be repeated for multiple characters or if it has already been taken (which doesn't happen often).

• 9115 posts
    January 23, 2017 5:24 AM PST

Ainadak said:

EQ1's auto name generator solved that issue for me. The only variations I use are because it can't be repeated for multiple characters or if it has already been taken (which doesn't happen often).

Nice, name generators can be great for helping with character names or giving you base names to play with and change around until you find a mix that you like.

• 112 posts
    January 23, 2017 5:29 AM PST

I tend to plunder names from literature looking for a personality that meshes with my main.  

• 97 posts
    January 23, 2017 5:51 AM PST

VG was my 1st MMO, and my 1st characters name came because I tried 40-50 times to use a common name and they were all taken, so I started trying variations on different spellings and Gragory was born.  My other toons I try to make names that are more tough sounding that would fit their class.  I used a random name generator for a couple of my elven toons, as well.

• 626 posts
    January 23, 2017 5:56 AM PST

Yes - I need it to fit my Lore I make up in my head for myself :) (Normaly a 2 days process to pick a name after my main lol)

This post was edited by Reignborn at January 23, 2017 6:15 AM PST
    • 37 posts
    January 23, 2017 5:57 AM PST

I have certain names I've used in previous games, originally created with variations of my real name and/or Celtic names.

• 780 posts
    January 23, 2017 6:28 AM PST

When I first started EverQuest I used the name generator until I had something close to what I liked and then tweaked it a bit.  After that, I mostly used obscure characters from literature.  I didn't use characters popular enough to get flagged for a name change, but they were still noticeable to fans of the books.  I'd get tells saying, "Great name!  I love those books!"  A lengthy conversation about the books in question would often follow. 

I created the surname 'Shucklighter' for a character in a book I was working on about ten years ago, maybe, and since then I've used that in games with surnames.  It's derived from the phrase 'light a shuck', which means to leave in a hurry or to leave in the night.  I stumbled upon that in some westerns I was reading at the time and I thought it was cool, so I twisted it into 'Shucklighter'.  I usually go for common or biblical first names, since the Shucklighters are humans.

• 110 posts
    January 23, 2017 6:50 AM PST

It all depends ... I use a mix of made-up names, lore-based names, name generators and historical names. My main is Sheyna Rainbringer for just about any game I play, and that started in EQ. You started with a first name, and I went with Sheyna as a combination of two friends' names that I liked (Shayna and Cheyin). My original first name was deKarana, but I was informed by a GM that we weren't allowed to have names based on in-game characters (oops .. missed that part), so I went with Karana's nickname: Rainbringer. As you may have noticed from my sig/screen name, I'm a fan of the Tampa Bay Lightning, so I like playing characters that either have storm-based powers or worship storm-based dieties. It makes it pretty easy to keep the name Sheyna Rainbringer.

But the other thing, answering the "why" part of the question .. now that I've used that name so often, I use that name no matter what game I play to say "it's me" in case there are any old gaming friends out there that I may run into. 

Other names I've come up with have just been a bit of fun, like naming a halfling rogue Trixie Lightfingers in Neverwinter. In Neverwinter, you had companions you could name, so I went with different old-world names for each of my companions for each of my characters (Norse, Celtic, Germanic, etc.). Even doing that, I had a bit of fun ... I had a sprite companion that I named Seachd-Shuas. (Yeah, I named a sprite Seven-Up.)

My husband recently got me playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, and I knew there was a pretty robust and lore-based name generator. So I used that for my Mirialan alt, and it came up with the name Jycacia. That one will probably get used as an alt again, since it's such an awesome name.

• 17 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:06 AM PST

For DDO, I had/have a Halfling Rogue that specialized in traps. Naturally I named him Tippy Tumbletoe. 

• 97 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:07 AM PST

I have no idea how I finally ended up with the name Quintra... it doesn't mean anything. Maybe I started trying to come up with something that started with "Q" since it's not the most common letter and went from there but I really don't remember. In a few other games I used the name "Ethereus" basically the word "ethereal" with the common Roman "-us" suffix (e.g. Maximus). Other times, if I'm really struggling I'll just look around the room at stuff or come up with a regular word and try to come up with a name that way... Here's a terrible example because I just did it right now in the last 3 seconds... Looking at my chapstick, I might try to name a character Chappie or something like that.

*edit* I also had a halfling rogue alt in EQ that I never really played, but his name was Fybbin (pronounced fibben, aka "fibbing" without the "g") Truthteller

This post was edited by Quintra at January 23, 2017 7:09 AM PST
    • 19 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:30 AM PST

I´m not creative enough to come up with a good one myself.

So either I find one randomly which I read in a book, online or really anwhere else and write down until a game like Pantheon comes along or I end up searching celtic names on the web and find one I like.

• 121 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:30 AM PST
    My method has evolved over the years. First few in EQ I used random generator until I found one I liked. After those, I started creating characters and after they were set, I'd stare at them and make up a name that seemed to "fit" them. Finally, in VG I made an Orc monk with a mohawk named Streeg. From then on I always use that name because I thought it would be easier to find old friends in new games if I wasn't always changing my name.
    • 36 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:34 AM PST

I have a few names I use for every MMO. Rarely are they taken... If those names are taken, I typically spend hours and hours thinking of a name that has no numbers and is somewhat unique. I sometimes spend days not making a character because I consider names to be very important online and I can't think of a name that I like.

This post was edited by Coda at January 23, 2017 7:35 AM PST
    • 781 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:34 AM PST

Nilnyil - EQ randomly generated after about 500 clicks

Tourschnic - given to me by a friend in EQ

litlbit - real life nickname used in World of Warships

Kelem - Melek means " King"  used in Rift, VG, Aion, Tera and now Pantheon :) 

• 2138 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:37 AM PST

One that is exotic sounding and at the same time, easy to spell- to make it easy on those who wish to speak or send tells.

And one that has a naturally evolving nickname that can be used in group chat. Like in my forum name, some in group would say " Hi Mano" or I would say "Hi Kils. Hi Monty" that kind of thing.

• 97 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:37 AM PST

Shucklighter said:

When I first started EverQuest I used the name generator until I had something close to what I liked and then tweaked it a bit.  After that, I mostly used obscure characters from literature.  I didn't use characters popular enough to get flagged for a name change, but they were still noticeable to fans of the books.  I'd get tells saying, "Great name!  I love those books!"  A lengthy conversation about the books in question would often follow. 

I had forgot that about my toons.  My psi in VG was name Cairhien from Wheel in Time series.  I used to get tons of tells about that name from people that liked the books.  I had a couple guildies that had characters named from that series as well. 

• 8 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:41 AM PST

I'm either lazy and reverse the letters of my real name, or play with letters day and night to find the right sounding name.

• 17 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:45 AM PST

Actually, I have an old ObsidianPortal site I made for an old WOT Campaign i was running. I put more WOT knowledge there, in one place than anywhere else I know besides a wiki. I could PM it if anyone was interested. I've done 5 and a half complete read throughs, have all the audible books and if you like Brandon Sanderson I recommend The Knights Radient Series.

• 243 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:46 AM PST

I have a few picked out already for Pantheon, using an online name generator.  That said, I try to choose names that make sense with the race that I have chosen.  Like I won't choose the name "Bunny Foofoo" if I have a Skar character and their npc names are more like Ichth, Chyktro, etc.  Hopefully that makes sense :)

• 105 posts
    January 23, 2017 7:50 AM PST

I don't really remember how I came up with my favorite gaming name--Marilee.  What I do know is that a number of my gaming friends have known me as that for so long that even when we meet in person they call me by my game name and not by my real name.  

As for naming alts...well, there's no rhyme nor reason to why I choose a name.  I just let it come to me.