Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Game Status?

• 170 posts
    February 11, 2017 8:08 AM PST

Ok please understand I am trying to recall Vanguard. I do not want what happened to Vanguard to happen here. The investors pushing it before the dev team says its ready. The was our friends at SOE that did that. I am a little afraid we will get a great investor(s) that comes in drops a ton of cash and either makes demands for content or pushes a deadline. Think back to the 90's we were just happy to get in from queue and play for an hour without a crash and reboot. Games nowadays you load, no queue, not .exe crashes, start and sprint to the end. That to me killed Vanguard investors pushing it so it launched and needed patching and the younger folks that weren't used to the old way a game was release bailed within in month or so and then there weren't enough subscribers to keep it floating with SOE wanting more cash. Of course this is my recollection of how things went years ago and as someone in their upper 40's forgive me if I'm not 100% accurate on what happened but this is what scares me about Pantheon. I want investors because I haven't won the lotto yet and can't be it but I don't want the team unhappy, pushed, argued with and changing the development plans to appease the investor. I could be way off but that is how I remember it because I was just as excited for that game and started in Beta. I currently play in on the emulator (Thanks to the team doing that). I still log into EQ but that's just to see my characters and reminisce the fun and the community.

This post was edited by Abacda at February 11, 2017 8:08 AM PST
    • 284 posts
    February 11, 2017 8:47 AM PST

Just as a heads up one of the parts of the new FAQ states that they had an angel investor earlier this year and as a consequence put some people on payroll. I'd imagine that type of information should come as a pleasant surprise.

• 3016 posts
    February 11, 2017 9:08 AM PST

Lokispawn said:

CanadinaXegony said:

I've been hanging out here for three years now give or take another few days,  yes am always excited about new..news, developments.    Just a wee bit more time,  and we (VIPs and others that can do pre-alpha test)  will be knee-deep in testing.  First or Second quarter.    I'll be here. :)

*high five* feb 2014.. It's been a while, but I'm getting more excited these days. 

*High Five* Back...just awhile longer..and we'll be there,  hang on to your hat. :)

• 3016 posts
    February 11, 2017 9:10 AM PST

Abacda said:

Ok please understand I am trying to recall Vanguard. I do not want what happened to Vanguard to happen here. The investors pushing it before the dev team says its ready. The was our friends at SOE that did that. I am a little afraid we will get a great investor(s) that comes in drops a ton of cash and either makes demands for content or pushes a deadline. Think back to the 90's we were just happy to get in from queue and play for an hour without a crash and reboot. Games nowadays you load, no queue, not .exe crashes, start and sprint to the end. That to me killed Vanguard investors pushing it so it launched and needed patching and the younger folks that weren't used to the old way a game was release bailed within in month or so and then there weren't enough subscribers to keep it floating with SOE wanting more cash. Of course this is my recollection of how things went years ago and as someone in their upper 40's forgive me if I'm not 100% accurate on what happened but this is what scares me about Pantheon. I want investors because I haven't won the lotto yet and can't be it but I don't want the team unhappy, pushed, argued with and changing the development plans to appease the investor. I could be way off but that is how I remember it because I was just as excited for that game and started in Beta. I currently play in on the emulator (Thanks to the team doing that). I still log into EQ but that's just to see my characters and reminisce the fun and the community.

VR is independent of those big game studios.    Those big game studios aren't telling VR what to do.  :)  They get their funding from us and angel investors.   Keep the faith. :)

• 9115 posts
    February 11, 2017 4:41 PM PST

Abacda said:

That isn't actually accurate of how events unfolded for VG but it is not relavent to this discussion as we are not being pushed or controlled by anyone or anything, we are self motivated and driven with crowd funding and angel investors, we are under no pressure other than our own to deliver by target dates/time frames and to compare us to SOE/DBG or any other company is like comparing apples to oranges.

We have learned from previous mistakes, our own and others, and we use that knowledge to move forward and be stronger and more successful, so I wouldn't dwell on others mistakes in the past or try to attach those fears to us, they have nothing to do with us, friend :)

• 3852 posts
    February 11, 2017 8:03 PM PST

I don't believe anyone compared you to SoE/DBG or similar companies ((shudder)). I believe they said that they hoped you wouldn't be put in that position. Looks like we all agree on that point.

• 9115 posts
    February 11, 2017 10:09 PM PST

dorotea said:

I don't believe anyone compared you to SoE/DBG or similar companies ((shudder)). I believe they said that they hoped you wouldn't be put in that position. Looks like we all agree on that point.

Others have though, on these forums and other platforms and I need to make a general statement when it is brought up, like with many other topics, there are a few that I tend to reply to in an official capacity to provide accurate information as my posts get picked up by other companies, other platforms, social media, games media, peers etc. so while you may not see the reason or need for extra little remarks I sometimes make, they are added for other people's benefit, which can be confusing, I know, sorry! :D

• 333 posts
    February 11, 2017 10:17 PM PST

@Kill What the team needs to realize , even though we are vocal , ***** and complain and constantly asking for more ALWAYS.

I think I can speak for 99% of the active posters that we support the team.... even when you are mean :P

• 9115 posts
    February 12, 2017 2:12 AM PST

Xxar said:

@Kill What the team needs to realize , even though we are vocal , ***** and complain and constantly asking for more ALWAYS.

I think I can speak for 99% of the active posters that we support the team.... even when you are mean :P

Oh we understand that man, we can see the passion and the excitement and frustration, we are human and feel it too so don't worry but arguing and misinformation across multiple threads has to stop, these are development forums and I have to read through all of this stuff and it slows me down and takes up enormous amounts of my time to read back and forth bickering over opinions instead of allowing me to answer proper questions and gather useful information to relay to the team!

I know most of you just get caught up in the emotions of it all, so I let a lot of it slide as I can relate to a lot of it, it really does make my job a lot harder, though, not gonna lie.

Switch "mean" for "serious" and we are good man, I'm not mean! lol ;)