Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Sitting "Medding" vs Animations?

• 62 posts
    June 27, 2016 11:01 AM PDT

Hi all,

I would enjoy the concept of gaining mana while IN combat through the use of animations or spells.

For example:

Instead of sitting on the ground as your group is fighting, you use an ability "Breath of Elements" which is a channeled over time. It does an animation (anything from hands out with glowing swirls to staff out and it begins to glow) and slowly replenishes your mana. You CAN NOT move or it interrupts the ability. It is essentially takes the place of sitting in combat.

I feel like this would be a more creative way to simulate halting combat to regain resources and doesn't seem as silly. "You guys keep fighting im going to sit".  To clarify it is not the concept of halting combat to recharge I find silly but the concept of the animation sitting vs actually doing something class specific to recharge

For OUT of combat regen, I definitely like sitting down eating/ drinking etc as it doesn't really break immersion.

Maybe it's just me? :P

This post was edited by Kobrashade at June 27, 2016 11:13 AM PDT
    • 17 posts
    June 27, 2016 11:31 AM PDT

I agree.  I thought it a bit odd that a character would sit down while the other team members were engaged in combat.  Then I realized it was for regeneration.

It would be nice to see an animation that during the regen cast the character is slightly suspended above the ground (maybe even spin slowly) or have arms out stretched towards the sky (cleric).  Would also be nice if mobs saw that activity they would try for an interrupt (forcing a recast).  Just some ideas.

• 62 posts
    June 27, 2016 11:43 AM PDT

Sparks said:

I agree.  I thought it a bit odd that a character would sit down while the other team members were engaged in combat.  Then I realized it was for regeneration.

It would be nice to see an animation that during the regen cast the character is slightly suspended above the ground (maybe even spin slowly) or have arms out stretched towards the sky (cleric).  Would also be nice if mobs saw that activity they would try for an interrupt (forcing a recast).  Just some ideas.

I like the idea of having different classes have a unique animation for regen. And your idea about mobs potentially going to interrupt players could be very cool. It would put more pressure on the group to focus attention on a mob who change targets.

• 202 posts
    June 27, 2016 12:04 PM PDT
    I like this idea alot!, sitting down while the rest of the party is doing combat is pretty ridiculous. The potential of each class having their own recovery spell/animation and even being the enemies priority target most certainly brings a more complex level of combat. I know in EQ when you "sat down" you generater some "hate" potentially making you the priority target until you stood up or lost the threat.
    • 316 posts
    June 27, 2016 2:09 PM PDT
    I like this idea, too! As long as it was kept subtle. A mage just standing with eyes closed, head down a bit, both hands on a downturned weapon (if that wouldn't be too much of a drain for our systems) would be enough for me.

I'm not sure how "expensive" in terms of computing power it'd be to have these sorts of unique animations going on for most of the players in a group. Maybe negligible? But part of the consideration must be economy of animations. Something comparably simple to sitting, though, would be great if it were designed with this intention for "realism". Cool thought, Kobra!
    • 1434 posts
    June 27, 2016 2:18 PM PDT

Some abilities or even animations for a "meditate" type of skill could make the process of regenerating seem much more realistic than simply sitting on the ground next to a dangerous battle. Perhaps the animation could vary depending on whether you have aggro on a mob.

• 85 posts
    June 27, 2016 2:48 PM PDT

This is a lovely idea. In-combat regen channeling vs sitting is something I could really get behind.

• 189 posts
    June 27, 2016 3:01 PM PDT
    But what would they do with sitting aggro? After pulling off that complete heal and I don't sit down to med, no mobs are going to kick my ass?
    • 85 posts
    June 27, 2016 3:06 PM PDT

Fairchild said: But what would they do with sitting aggro? After pulling off that complete heal and I don't sit down to med, no mobs are going to kick my ass?

Why not have mana channeling also increase mob agro?

• 432 posts
    June 27, 2016 3:12 PM PDT

Greetings forum goers,

This topic has a great premise. Kobrashade thanks for starting this thread! I’m glad to see people new to the forums coming in and sparking some good idea’s for the development team to mull over. Never feel it is too late to make suggestions by the way. Even if a suggestion doesn’t get top priority now, a game developers back-burner ALWAYS has room to grow. J

I mentioned this in a previous post actually for the same reasons. Sitting in combat seems very off to me as well.

My suggestion is this.

Budget Friendly—While in combat you may not sit but you can kneel, which acts similar or the same to sitting. Kneeling is a good option because every character could do it and it is easier to imagine a character springing up into combat from this position.

Not as budget friendly—a simple animation any class can do to show a gathering of mana/energy. This means if a rogue or warrior needs to regenerate mana they also have this animation as it is not unique to anyone.

Example universal pose: Standing with knuckles joined together and head bowed possibly chanting.

Example universal pose 2: Kneeling with a single hand or clenched fist touching the ground, head bowed, possibly changing.

Example universal pose 3: Standing with hands joined together: fingers being held inside palm of each hand: right hand palm down, left hand palm up. Head bowed possibly chanting.

Expensive, not budget friendly—Each race gets their own animation/pose for in-combat mana regen. I do not have examples for these but the only silver lining is they could have the potential for not being very expensive to do if the developers stuck with non-moving forms such as the universal poses mentioned above.

Examples of budget friendly race-specific poses.

Elf: hands together as though praying

Gnome: eyes closed looking up with open grasping hands at their sides

Ogre: raised fists with bunched up shoulders, head slightly bowed with possible glare.

Skar: Crouched with clawed hands crossed in front of face with possible glare.

Archai: A single open hand on chest where the largest part of their elemental tatoo’ish thing is.

Dark Myr: Hands cupped as though holding water, head straight forward, eyes closed.

Human: Single raised fist with closed eyes, head looking slightly up.

Halfling: Crouched, knee’s tucked under stomach with two child-like hands held over the ground.

Dwarf: Looking like a salute with a fist of their heart head slightly bowed or slightly raised.

Possible, but unrealistic considering the current budget—Each race AND class gets their own unique mana regen animation/pose. This is not something I think will see the light of day, but, if the company gets a money-boom of subscribers/donations we may be able to see it. Who knows? I personally don’t like money being the decider of how fun my game is, but, it’s how the world works. I think Dave Georgeson, one of the faces of the vapor-ware project Everquest Next, said it best in these two quotes: ‘With enough time and money anything is possible’. … ‘There are very few impossible things in the world.’

-Todd

This post was edited by tehtawd at June 27, 2016 10:58 PM PDT
    • 801 posts
    June 27, 2016 3:16 PM PDT

Mana regen also was available while sitting on mounts in EQ. I dont know about other games as EQ was the longest i have played. 18 years to be exact.

It gave us the ability to fight, regen. I felt it was rather odd we had to sit down while the rest of the team fought on. Later on we had regen enough to continue and focus on mana conservation.

• 112 posts
    June 27, 2016 3:30 PM PDT

agreee with OP 100%

anything that adds to RP/immersion gets a thumbs up from me

• 62 posts
    June 27, 2016 3:59 PM PDT

tehtawd said:

Greetings forum goers,

This topic has a great premise. Kobrashade thanks for starting this thread! I’m glad to see people new to the forums coming in and sparking some good idea’s for the development team to mull over. Never feel it is too late to make suggestions by the way. Even if a suggestion doesn’t get top priority now, a game developers back-burner ALWAYS has room to grow. J

I mentioned this in a previous post actually for the same reasons. Sitting in combat seems very off to me as well.

My suggestion is this.

Budget Friendly—While in combat you may not sit but you can kneel, which acts similar or the same to sitting. Kneeling is a good option because every character could do it and it is easier to imagine a character springing up into combat from this position.

Not as budget friendly—a simple animation any class can do to show a gathering of mana/energy. This means if a rogue or warrior needs to regenerate mana they also have this animation as it is not unique to anyone.

Example universal pose: Standing with knuckles joined together and head bowed possibly chanting.

Example universal pose 2: Kneeling with a single hand or clenched fist touching the ground, head bowed, possibly changing.

Example universal pose 3: Standing with hands joined together: fingers being held inside palm of each hand: right hand palm down, left hand palm up. Head bowed possibly chanting.

Expensive, not budget friendly—Each race gets their own animation/pose for in-combat mana regen. I do not have examples for these but the only silver lining is they could have the potential for not being very expensive to do if the developers stuck with non-moving forms such as the universal poses mentioned above.

Examples of budget friendly race-specific poses.

Elf: hands together as though praying

Gnome: eyes closed looking up with open grasping hands at their sides

Ogre: raised fists with bunched up shoulders, head slightly bowed with possible glare.

Skar: Crouched with clawed hands crossed in front of face with possible glare.

Archai: A single open hand on chest where the largest part of their elemental tatoo’ish thing is.

Dark Myr: Hands cupped as though holding water, head straight forward, eyes closed.

Human: Single raised fist with closed eyes, head looking slightly up.

Half-Elf: Crouched, knee’s tucked under stomach with two child-like hands held over the ground.

Dwarf: Looking like a salute with a fist of their heart head slightly bowed or slightly raised.

Possible, but unrealistic considering the current budget—Each race AND class gets their own unique mana regen animation/pose. This is not something I think will see the light of day, but, if the company gets a money-boom of subscribers/donations we may be able to see it. Who knows? I personally don’t like money being the decider of how fun my game is, but, it’s how the world works. I think Dave Georgeson, one of the faces of the vapor-ware project Everquest Next, said it best in these two quotes: ‘With enough time and money anything is possible’. … ‘There are very few impossible things in the world.’

-Todd

Thanks Todd!

I missed your post somewhere else or I would have totally backed it up! I Love the various options given the budget and at a  minimum, I could at least get behind kneeling vs sitting. Like you said, makes it feel some what more realistic and able to spring into battle.

I have to admit, I was scared to post originally because I got a vibe that sitting "medding" was huge in eq1 and didn't want it to seem as if I didn't like the combat impact which I do.

This post was edited by Kobrashade at June 27, 2016 4:00 PM PDT
    • 28 posts
    June 27, 2016 4:04 PM PDT

I do like this idea perhaps it won't make it on release but it is something that can be added slowly as the game progresses just for flavor.

• 1778 posts
    June 27, 2016 5:03 PM PDT

I like where this is going. It would be interesing to maybe have different classes do this in different ways, or maybe have it based on race like mentioned above? Whatever the case it would not only make it potentially more lively but also introduce a bit of personality.

• 613 posts
    June 27, 2016 5:14 PM PDT

Sparks said:

I like this due to I was thinking the same thing with medding while in combat.  I wonder how much of a change in code it would take to do this?

Ox

• 432 posts
    June 27, 2016 5:26 PM PDT

I have to admit, I was scared to post originally because I got a vibe that sitting "medding" was huge in eq1 and didn't want it to seem as if I didn't like the combat impact which I do.

Kobrashade,

Don't ever be worried to post something you are concerned about or want to discuss. The forums are a nice place, we are kind to one another because we all love this game and want to see it come out with great reviews and a great community. The developers of this game are in a great position where they get to look at past mechanics of other games and pick and choose which 'make sense' to put in their game. If we as the players bring good insight to something, that information has a good chance to go to the team. In this sense, try to think of your participation in sharing your concerns or topics is part of a team which is helping make this game the best it can be. So post away, we support your involvement!

I Love the various options given the budget and at a  minimum, I could at least get behind kneeling vs sitting. Like you said, makes it feel some what more realistic and able to spring into battle.

Yea, I like to save money when I can also but honestly I like the heart of this topic the best. Wouldn't it be swell if they each had unique animations or even a base spell effect? Like light or ethereal wind being drawn into the player at their feet? It would be interesting to have the dark myr have one hand cupped and one hand above as though letting grains of sand fall from it, but what we see are shining,crystal like droplets of water which land in the cupped hand below but the echoing ripple spreads out from the hand. 

So many artistic idea's to go with the races. If only we had the money for it. 

But who knows! We will have to wait and see what the dev's can come up with for a preview of the game and see how much cash flow comes about from interest. I think we can help a lot by telling our friends and family about the game and logging in to the live-streams when they happen.

-Todd

• 23 posts
    June 27, 2016 6:27 PM PDT

I really like this idea. Make meditation an activity instead of just sitting on your ass. Sitting should still be in for HP regen. It slightly complicates things, but I think the RP value might justify it. 

• 2419 posts
    June 27, 2016 6:28 PM PDT

Kobrashade said:

Hi all,

I would enjoy the concept of gaining mana while IN combat through the use of animations or spells.

For example:

Instead of sitting on the ground as your group is fighting, you use an ability "Breath of Elements" which is a channeled over time. It does an animation (anything from hands out with glowing swirls to staff out and it begins to glow) and slowly replenishes your mana. You CAN NOT move or it interrupts the ability. It is essentially takes the place of sitting in combat.

I feel like this would be a more creative way to simulate halting combat to regain resources and doesn't seem as silly. "You guys keep fighting im going to sit".  To clarify it is not the concept of halting combat to recharge I find silly but the concept of the animation sitting vs actually doing something class specific to recharge

For OUT of combat regen, I definitely like sitting down eating/ drinking etc as it doesn't really break immersion.

Maybe it's just me? :P

We can assume, based upon what we had in EQ1, EQ2 and Vanguard, are abilities that affect our mana and it's relationship to our spells.  EQ1 had Channeling, Abjuration, Conjuration, Evocation, Alteration, Diviniation 'skills' plus spell type specializations that reduced the mana consumption.  AAs brought us increased efficiencies as well.  Not having to sit to med, but having an equivalent required period of inactivity (interruptable though being key) is a good idea. 

• 1281 posts
    June 27, 2016 6:49 PM PDT

Sparks said:

I take it you did not play EQ? Some classes pretty much had to constantly sit during combat to keep mana up. Good players that knew how to manage mana didn't have to as much, and good groups could make it easier on you. One thing I don't like about modern MMO's is that mana regens so fast that someone playing poorly or without managing or being conservative can still keep playing. I really enjoy the rewarding aspect of patient, skillful players having more mana than those who are not as much those things.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 27, 2016 6:51 PM PDT
    • 781 posts
    June 27, 2016 6:57 PM PDT

werzul said:

agreee with OP 100%

anything that adds to RP/immersion gets a thumbs up from me

Aye, same here :) 

• 156 posts
    June 27, 2016 8:56 PM PDT

I'd be super happy with a /meditate emote that makes the character sit in the Lotus position. Quicker and easier than full emotes/poses for each race...which would be great as a QoL feature down the track.

• 13 posts
    June 27, 2016 9:23 PM PDT

Anyone here ever play Warhammer online?
    One of the classes the Warrior Priest had a pretty cool mechanic where when they attacked it would build up righteous fury (kinda like mana) which could then be converted into healing power. This might be something interesting to explore.

• 107 posts
    June 27, 2016 9:32 PM PDT

i really hope they dont have increased regen for sitting. i like having to manage mana, making one think more during combat, but i just don't see how sitting, even with a 'cool meditate animation' while everyone else is actually playing, is fun. at least if i am hitting him for negligible damage i am doing *something.*

i actually hope they go alot more vanguard than eq (at least from what i am reading about eq.) in vanguard clerics had huge mana issues (at least until upper levels when they got the baby mana reging love tap and could farm for arena mana pots.)

• 132 posts
    June 27, 2016 9:47 PM PDT

I am in love with the idea here. Brad said the characters in this last stream were all placeholders. So something like this making it at launch is very possible. 

I think some are misunderstanding the OP.  He is basically looking for some other graphical representation for medding. 

Medding with any sort of animation (standing vs sitting) would bring the same agro as if sitting.

If I am following the OP, it simply is a differnet pose. stand with animation vs sitting in the middle of a brawl. 

Example: if I am a cleric in EQ. and I stand and heal and sit back down, I am medding. 

OP Example: I am a cleric, I just healed once. instead of "sitting" I click "med" instead of "sit" and its the exact same thing.

I am just standing and I have some animation that isn't a sitting animation. Both/either have the exact same agro rating. 

The medding in Pantheon, looks... well, bad (sorry brad) the head down thing bothers me. Also when they were in the dungeon and medding with a torch, they were basically setting themselves on fire. 

It looked really dumb. If a standing medditation isn't possible, I would rather see them sit down indian style like they did in EQ1. 

Of course if you do sit down, you would Also be medding. I just don't like the medding animation that's IN pantheon right now. 

I like some of the ideas other have added as well. Like the kneel, fist down thing etc. too many to call out. but I like what people are thinking here. 

This post was edited by Medjai at June 27, 2016 9:51 PM PDT