Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Can anyone recomend a decent MMO?

• 19 posts
    June 2, 2016 12:44 PM PDT

Until Pantheon comes out I'm stuck at my PC being bored outa my head! I've played P99(nice trip down memory lane but not doing anyhting for me).

I CAN"T go back to EQ2 after what Smedly did to it.

WoW if definetly out of the question.

GW2 was nice but basically on permament easy mode.

I have a sub with SWTOR(more for the storys than anything else) but can only handle so many story repeats before I get bored.

Been looking thru Steam and the only MMO's coming out or are out seem to be Survival MMO's(start off naked and go from there) or PvP(wich is definetly a no go for me). And don't even get me started on the Anime based ones(shudders).

So I ask you my fellow Pantheoners(yes, that is a word now) what are you playing to keep your mind from ejecting from your skull?

• 1778 posts
    June 2, 2016 12:56 PM PDT

Single player games...... lol.

Personally: Dark Souls 3 lately. Though it definitely isnt for everyone, and Im not sure I could recommend the PC port. Oh and I just downloaded  Shadwen recently. I have a fascination with stealth games.

• 19 posts
    June 2, 2016 1:03 PM PDT

ya, sadly I've done that as well, but only single player games I like are Strat(C&C Series) or any of Sid Miers stuff(except 5, god that was a horrible game)

• 14 posts
    June 3, 2016 8:52 AM PDT

I still play Dungeons and Dragons Online but mainly because of the social aspect and the fact that they are still coming out with new content on a regular basis. It will take some getting used to but I think it is still a reasonably decent game considering its age.

• 1468 posts
    June 3, 2016 12:08 PM PDT

EVE Online is good and is not an easy MMO which should appeal to people interested in Pantheon. There are some huge group play encounters between players if you are in to that sort of thing. Well worth trying out the 7 day free trial if you haven't already.

• 19 posts
    June 3, 2016 12:59 PM PDT

Tried Eve , nice game but the PvP aspect of it doesn't apeal to me and the harvesting seems boring. was looking at the D&D one earlier today.

• 23 posts
    June 3, 2016 3:46 PM PDT

No sorry I cant.  Ive been playing Warcraft3 customs and Divine Divinity the Original Sin.  I saw recently that they nerfed how easy leveling 1-20 is in WoW FINALLY so i may jump on unsubbed and see if that is fun again for an hour this weekend.  May also play Heroes of the Storm for the Cho/Gall Character alone which is a unique two player to one character concept for a Moba.  Just shy away from MMORPG's until this one drops so it means more when it does is my two cents on that.

• 9 posts
    June 15, 2016 1:16 AM PDT

I have been looking for the same thing and the closest I have found is P99 EQ. I haven't played it yet, but I was hoping for more option first.

• 76 posts
    June 15, 2016 5:03 AM PDT

Summoners War app on cell phone ;/ nothing worth playing other than P99.

• 170 posts
    June 15, 2016 5:44 AM PDT

There are some aspects of Black Desert online that were cool but it forces you to farm and gather and fish and stay online even if afk. Beautiful game, the combat is like button combinations just to do simple stuff, map is cool, the is horse or pet breeding, basically they tried thinking out of the box in many ways but it lacks some fun. Looks great though. My wife and I are in the same boat trying to have fun in an mmo until PRoTF alpha starts.

• 1434 posts
    June 16, 2016 3:23 AM PDT

I've been playing single player rpgs and a few steam games. Mostly Don't Starve Together off and on.

• 428 posts
    June 16, 2016 11:04 AM PDT

EVE baby 

• 19 posts
    June 16, 2016 3:58 PM PDT

Tried D&D online, reminded me to much of AoC and got bored quickly. currently doing F2P on Wildstar, it's....interesting to say the least. But you can tell it was definetly designed  for the WoW/Eq2 crowd. But it keeps my brain more or less occupied.

• 116 posts
    June 20, 2016 5:34 AM PDT

Have you tried playing Rift? It really is a beautiful game and is  f2p with a cash shop, which is one reason  why I don't play too much anymore.

I tried playing a couple of Indie MMO's that are both in early development. Pathfinder Online ( PFO) is a game that is based on the P&P game ( which I havent played) it is in playable Beta atm with a new company coming in to take over the devlopment. It is the most in depth game I have played.  You can find more info here: https://goblinworks.com/.

The other game is Project Gorgon, (http://projectgorgon.com/) which is in early development also, but is playable. It seems to be a real small project with pretty much one guy running the show. Take a look at the website for more information.

Hope you find something interesting, please check back and let us know if you find something you like.

• 308 posts
    June 20, 2016 9:58 AM PDT

Rift is pretty fun, one of the better free to play games.  Yes, it has a cash shop but you can get everything in the cash shop in game if you are willing to put the time into it.  If you look at my other post in this thread, there is a level 40 code give away with 60 something keys left, give it a spin, won't cost you anything but your time.

• 668 posts
    June 22, 2016 9:56 PM PDT

NotASaint said:

I still play Dungeons and Dragons Online but mainly because of the social aspect and the fact that they are still coming out with new content on a regular basis. It will take some getting used to but I think it is still a reasonably decent game considering its age.

Dungeons and Dragons online is still around?  I thought it was shut down...  I really liked that game when I played it

• 19 posts
    June 24, 2016 2:39 PM PDT

did Rift at the beginning, wasn't impressed, too WoW. D&D reminded me too much of AoC and wasn't impressed with that one either. Was in the Alpha of Pathfinder, but didn't like the direction the game was going so dropped out, was gonna be to PvP oriented.

• 19 posts
    June 24, 2016 4:49 PM PDT

Thanx Oldtimer for the Project Gorgon link. I may actually play that for awhile.

• 40 posts
    July 14, 2016 6:59 AM PDT

It is hard to find something acceptable today, even the old classics have been nerfed to easy mode. I play a little GW2 who sadly got ruined when people whined on the difficulty in the first beta weekend, there are still a few things that can get rough in HoT but generally is the content so easy a monkey could master it...

Pathfinder online as oldtimer speaks about is in really bad shape and there have been rumours that someone have taken over development ever since Goblinworks stopped working on it but there have been no confirmation of anything so I wouldn't bother trying until there is something official. The game could close down anytime as it is.

Project Gorgon is more interesting but not exactly what I am looking for myself (which is why I back Pantheon, besides Shards it is the only game in development on my list at the moment).

• 432 posts
    July 14, 2016 9:47 PM PDT

If you are asking me, the game your friends are playing is the right game for you. I'm an extrovert, so, to me, playing with my friends is the most important thing. Community matters.

If community doesn't matter it also comes down to what you are looking for.

What I look for is engagement in combat. I come from a long line of fighting games, my top two favorites being smash brothers and street fighter. When TAC (true action combat) games started coming out of the woodwork I was VERY happy. Infact, Blizzard has done their best to incorporate more TAC style moves to their own game (but they can only go so far with this)

So hands down the games i'd reccomend would be TERA and Elder Scrolls Online. Tera has in my mind has better combat, but the crafting, voice acting, exploration and graphics of Elder Scrolls online makes up for it by a long shot. 

The problems Elder Scrolls Online has would be the difficulty. It's easy, and you can solo a lot in the game without caring about who your grouped with. Honestly if you don't have a friend to play then it becomes a boring 1-player theme-park game. 

Tera already is too easy, it only becomes hard when you fight what they call 'BAM's' (Big Ass Monsters). Soloing these can be very difficult the higher level you get (more challenging BAMS higher level). I'm playing P99 right now with most of my time and I see a lot of things the newer MMO's have given up. It's hard to reccomend Tera and ESO due to how much they have gone away from the traditional difficulty and community. 

But hey, make a friend in Tera or ESO. Friendship can make usually mundane or boring games a lot more fun.

-Todd

• 116 posts
    July 15, 2016 5:30 AM PDT

dragoonn said:

Thanx Oldtimer for the Project Gorgon link. I may actually play that for awhile.

You are quite welcome dragoon, I contributed to their Kick Starter campaign and played a few times but have had problems creating an account even after contacting the developer to try to have things resolved. Cheers.

• 116 posts
    July 15, 2016 5:34 AM PDT

loke666 said:

It is hard to find something acceptable today, even the old classics have been nerfed to easy mode. I play a little GW2 who sadly got ruined when people whined on the difficulty in the first beta weekend, there are still a few things that can get rough in HoT but generally is the content so easy a monkey could master it...

Pathfinder online as oldtimer speaks about is in really bad shape and there have been rumours that someone have taken over development ever since Goblinworks stopped working on it but there have been no confirmation of anything so I wouldn't bother trying until there is something official. The game could close down anytime as it is.

Project Gorgon is more interesting but not exactly what I am looking for myself (which is why I back Pantheon, besides Shards it is the only game in development on my list at the moment).

A quick update loke666, PFO has been bought by another game developer that has not been named as of yet. :https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/4959/.

This post was edited by Oldtimer at July 15, 2016 5:34 AM PDT
    • 19 posts
    July 15, 2016 1:47 PM PDT

PFO getting a new developer mght be a good thing. I joined up for a little while it it first started but left, did not like the direction it was going and many of the ideas they wanted I did not see working in a Fantasy setting.

Intersting thought, who currently owns the rights to Vanguard? Sony or Daybreak? I hear Daybreak is getting desperate for money, maybe Brad could buy back Vanguard for a few hundred bucks :-P

• 4 posts
    August 14, 2016 12:41 PM PDT

Have a look at The Secret World, I'm playing currently and its fun, downside its abit too scary at times.  But you may like that, I'm quite the wuss though! =)

• 19 posts
    August 15, 2016 1:00 PM PDT

heh, I bought the game when it first came out, was a bit repetitious  once u finished the main story, I actaully re-installed yesterday and started playing again jsut to give me somthing to do. I'll give Secret World credit, they do make some dam good gothic storys