Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Character Reputation

This topic has been closed.
    • 9115 posts
    April 25, 2016 4:07 AM PDT
    Is your character's in-game reputation on the server that you play on important to you or do you act without worry of consequences? :)
    • 2756 posts
    April 25, 2016 4:21 AM PDT

Reputation is essential.  I would love to see some way of 'knowing' people's reputation (and your own).  Some way it can be reliably 'recorded' somehow somewhere where everyone can see it.

• 610 posts
    April 25, 2016 4:51 AM PDT

I am hoping you are talking more about the players Reputation and not about the character rep. Player Rep was such a huge factor in EQ, if you were an ass then the server quickly learned that and you were blackballed making getting a group that much harder. In modern MMOs you can solo your way to max level or just cross server dungeon run and never have to worry about it. Please for all the gods in the Pantheon make Reputation matter, no cross server dungeons, no auto ques, no server hopping! If you act like an ass then you should suffer the concequences.

• 563 posts
    April 25, 2016 4:52 AM PDT

My character's reputaion has always been very important to me, I've always played characters as an extension of myself and as such I take pride in having a positive reputation.

• 151 posts
    April 25, 2016 4:54 AM PDT
    Very important. I would like to be able to have it so on a server all of your characters cam be identified as being from the same account.

Don't know how many times I have had someone kicked from guild only to see them sneak back in on an unknown alt. Eventually found them but was more difficult. Also someone with a bad rep might sneak in under an alt. You didn't kow it was their alt but others did. Now you look like you are supporting bad behavior.

Basically I don't think you should be able to be an ass on one character and just log over to an alt and get away with it. Would go a long way to keep the community mature. Fewer places for morons to hide I say. At the very least for the server if not the entire account.
    • 769 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:11 AM PDT

Sabot said: Very important. I would like to be able to have it so on a server all of your characters cam be identified as being from the same account. Don't know how many times I have had someone kicked from guild only to see them sneak back in on an unknown alt. Eventually found them but was more difficult. Also someone with a bad rep might sneak in under an alt. You didn't kow it was their alt but others did. Now you look like you are supporting bad behavior. Basically I don't think you should be able to be an ass on one character and just log over to an alt and get away with it. Would go a long way to keep the community mature. Fewer places for morons to hide I say. At the very least for the server if not the entire account.

I agree that player reputation is a huge part of what makes a good MMO, however I don't completely agree with this sentiment.

While I understand that someone hiding as an alt to escape their bad reputation isn't a good thing, I'd also hate to take the opportunity away from those who'd like to amend their ways. If you're being an ass, reflect upon it, change your ways, and start fresh. I know that's asking a lot of the human race, but everyone deserves a second chance.

Side note: I say this only because I'm sure it'll make the Devs jobs easier, but is there no POLL function on these forums for you to use, Kilsin?

-Tralyan

• 200 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:26 AM PDT

It depends. Is the game not very community centric then i do not care. I'm not an as***** but i simply do not care. Because i often stop playing such games for months and when i come back nobody knows me etc. But when the game is fun and i plan to play it longer then it is much more important for me. 

Greetings

• 9115 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:36 AM PDT

Sevens said:

I am hoping you are talking more about the players Reputation and not about the character rep. Player Rep was such a huge factor in EQ, if you were an ass then the server quickly learned that and you were blackballed making getting a group that much harder. In modern MMOs you can solo your way to max level or just cross server dungeon run and never have to worry about it. Please for all the gods in the Pantheon make Reputation matter, no cross server dungeons, no auto ques, no server hopping! If you act like an ass then you should suffer the concequences.

Yes, Player/Character - they are the same thing man, you control your characters and are responsible for their actions in game ;)

• 62 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:36 AM PDT

It depends on whether I can pay for a name change or server transfer or level up another character quickly.

• 384 posts
    April 25, 2016 6:00 AM PDT

I'm sure most of us care about our reputation on the server. It should directly effect our ability to group and therefore, progress in Terminus. It would be great if there were some kind of ingame system to track rep. New players or new acquaintances would have some idea who they were interacting with at a glance. If VR comes up with a way to implement that where it can't be abused, I can't wait to hear about it. :) 

I'm all in favor of an alternate rules server where we're limited to one character but that's too restrictive for regular servers. I love alts and needs them. Another game I checked out recently has family names so all of your characters have the same last name. Which is a good way to identify people but .... I don't really like that it's too boring. I think the best way is still good old word of mouth. Jerks will eventually be found out and will have limited options available to them. We just need an environment where you need to form relationships with others to make it. The rest will sort itself out. 

• 610 posts
    April 25, 2016 6:01 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Sevens said:

Yes, Player/Character - they are the same thing man, you control your characters and are responsible for their actions in game ;)

If you read the first post here they are talking about in game character faction rep...which isnt the same at all. I was just trying to get a clarifier about if you were refering to Player rep or in game Character rep.

• 610 posts
    April 25, 2016 6:04 AM PDT

zaktaros said:

It depends on whether I can pay for a name change or server transfer or level up another character quickly.

I really hope there is no paid name change or server transfer and that leveling takes a looooong time. If you want to be a pain then it used be a pain to repair your reputation

• 232 posts
    April 25, 2016 6:56 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Is your character's in-game reputation on the server that you play on important to you or do you act without worry of consequences? :)

It is extremely important to me.  Probably the most important aspect of an MMO that I look for.

However...

It's only important to me if it relevantly applies to the game design. In todays massively single-player games (i.e WoW, FFXIV, et al) where the only player interaction is 15 minute dungeon runs thrown together with an automated cross-server tool and end-game raids, reputation is pretty irrelevant.  Even in the top 1% of raiders, your reputation is only as good as your dps/gearscore and your ability to stay out of red circles on the ground.  In these environments, reputation doesnt matter. At all. AT ALL.  These games are designed in a way that prohibits reputation from being, or ever becoming, relevant.  

In EQ, reputation was everything. If you had a bad reputation, you would have a hard time getting groups and would eventually be unable to progress. Sadly, we havent seen this kind of emphasis since in a main stream title.

So to answer your question specifically:  In games where reputation matters, I play accordingly.   In games where reputation is meaningless, I act without worry of consequences because there are none.

This post was edited by Dekaden at April 25, 2016 9:10 AM PDT
    • 264 posts
    April 25, 2016 7:57 AM PDT

I think reputation is very important.

I am not talking about how it relates to being a bad ass that is able to out damage or out play most anybody around either. I will just draw on my personal experience in Everquest; back in 1999 a person would, if not raiding, run in a group of players that would camp areas together or help each other complete quests. The grouping nature of the game made the real life person behind the character important. We would swap in people we met into our group all the time if somebody could not be on that night. We would play in other peoples group for much the same reasons. When you spend time splitting Loot, questing, and relying on your group to retrieve your body (that body is wearing all of your hard earned equipment); you find out pretty quick what type of person you are playing with.

Due to the nature of the game, Your personal desicions while playing your character made up most of your reputation. Early on in EQ your personal actual reputation was just as important as any equipment or ability that you had. 

That my friends was one of the great things about that game. I eventually met some of the best, most reliable, unselfish people in my life from all over the world in that game, and still keep in touch with many of them today.

Skycaster Crimsonhands

This post was edited by Skycaster at April 25, 2016 7:59 AM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    April 25, 2016 12:35 PM PDT

Rep is everything. 

• 363 posts
    April 25, 2016 1:31 PM PDT

Dekaden said:

Kilsin said:

It is extremely important to me.  Probably the most important aspect of an MMO that I look for.

However...

It's only important to me if it relevantly applies to the game design. In todays massively single-player games (i.e WoW, FFXIV, et al) where the only player interaction is 15 minute dungeon runs thrown together with an automated cross-server tool and end-game raids, reputation is pretty irrelevant.  Even in the top 1% of raiders, your reputation is only as good as your dps/gearscore and your ability to stay out of red circles on the ground.  In these environments, reputation doesnt matter. At all. AT ALL.  These games are designed in a way that prohibits reputation from being, or ever becoming, relevant.  

In EQ, reputation was everything. If you had a bad reputation, you would have a hard time getting groups and would eventually be unable to progress. Sadly, we havent seen this kind of emphasis since in a main stream title.

So to answer your question specifically:  In games where reputation matters, I play accordingly.   In games where reputation is meaningless, I act without worry of consequences because there are none.

Well said, and I agree 100% !

• 131 posts
    April 25, 2016 3:23 PM PDT

Dekaden said:

Kilsin said:

However...

So much this!  I am currently playing EQ P99 with a great group of Pantheon supporters (Look us up in game, guild name Terminus Rising, my name Dominx).  My friends list is already so long due to all of the wonderful, helpful people I have met along the way just in the past week or so!  It's so refreshing!  Haven't had that feeling in so long.  Alternatively, just last night we actively denied a player access to our unrest group because the night earlier he had joined our group, not communicated, and proceeded to stoopid pull repeatedly till he wiped the group.

If VR makes rep matter in PROTF, it will matter!

BTW we are talking up Pantheon to every person we meet hehe.  Go VR!!

• 9115 posts
    April 25, 2016 3:47 PM PDT

Sevens said:

Kilsin said:

Sevens said:

If you read the first post here they are talking about in game character faction rep...which isnt the same at all. I was just trying to get a clarifier about if you were refering to Player rep or in game Character rep.

Disposalist is talking about a player rep system from another thread mate ;)

• 20 posts
    April 25, 2016 3:59 PM PDT

My name is very important to me. I've been playing as Brandus for about 15 years now. Even though the MMO community is enormous, I'd like to think someone recognizes me from a game or two. Even if they don't - I'll be playing under that name till I'm too old to sit at a computer. Its the name I consider to be my video game persona and I don't see that changing.

Adversely, if I see a name I associate with a bad apple in a new game, I'd likely be apprehensive to trust them again.

This post was edited by Brandus at April 25, 2016 4:00 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    April 25, 2016 4:48 PM PDT

Yes, my characters repuation in game is important to me.

The game provides an easy environment where I can significantly benefit others and reap the benefits of it in game-where it might not be so easy to do the same in RL. 

This is why i like RP servers because you can play off of that with Evil races or characters who like being evil. I will allow their being evil to act like a jerk.

What shall we say then, Shall we continue to (be griefers) that (RP) grace may abound? God(s) Forbid.

I do hope that they instill a hybrid or race penalty. 

I don't mind if Goodies grouping with Evils has a game mechanic barb to it. 

• 89 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:25 PM PDT

Manouk said:

I do hope that they instill a hybrid or race penalty. 

At the risk of getting too far off topic, racial exp penality is fine (to a certain degree), hybrid tax is not.

Classes should be balanced around what they can do, not the tedium with which they require to max out.

• 2419 posts
    April 25, 2016 6:01 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

My reputation is extremely important, moreso than the gear I'm wearing or even the guild I'm in.  I put in a lot of effort to present myself with specific and consistent characteristics not to win any popularity contests but because having a good reputation equates to better gaming experience.  That said, sometimes there are actions I will take which I know do not technically break any game rules but some might have a different view.  Sometimes following the letter of law but not the spirit.

• 999 posts
    April 25, 2016 6:42 PM PDT

If Pantheon doesn't have in-game player reputation than it's already failed as it's MMO Clone 10403142 with instancing, name changes, server transfers, gear treadmills, and all other forms of anonymity that have been introduced into Massively "Single" Player Online games today.

• 11 posts
    April 25, 2016 7:42 PM PDT

My character is a refletion of myself. I like to think that I am a well mannered person, and am always respectful of others. I would never say something in-game that I wouldnt say to someone in real life. Honestly all we have is our name in this world and Id like to think the same goes for the in-game world as well. -Buckeyes

• 133 posts
    April 26, 2016 1:26 AM PDT
    Reputation is paramount in all aspects of life. I treat others how I like to be treated myself, in-game and out. People matter.