Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Idea: Tool for consignment sales

• 999 posts
    April 21, 2016 1:46 PM PDT

Xonth said: I for one think this system would not work like everyone seems to be fantasizing.

You could literally say that about any new proposed system, it doesn't mean that innovation shouldn't exist as long as it doesn't adversely effect gameplay and the tenets that Pantheon is be founded on.

Xonth said:

First people are trying to get player interactions back but you are just paying someone to do "/auction Wts" over and over again. You are just hiring advertisement. I dont think haggling will be the same because its not your item. Why hold out for a higher price when the seller could just take whatever they can I think this is a terrible idea for the main form of player selling mechanism.

Because there were be a contract, mechanism in place where the seller set the original price where the person conducting the consignment service would have to stick to?

Xonth said:

There are endless negatives to this overly fantasized concept. People are not taking into account that we are playing a computer game. They imagine how it would work in the real world where people would gladly do a repetitive job over and over because they have a family to support. This is a GAME not real life. for every one gamer that would like this system i can guarantee tons more will just look at it as rubbish outside a RP server. Personally i hate spending game time trying to sell items but I would not want this system. Make a bazaar type mechanic that works only in cities. Players can only search in the one city they are in. Make banks not magically connect. Done.

Again, this isn't a valid argument, and I'd like to hear your "endless negatives."  There's plenty of repetitive tasks that are in games that some gamers enjoy and others don't.  Hardly a reason not to implement a system.  Prime example - crafting.

*Edit - can't fix the stupid quotes even with the blockquote toggle.  Sorry for the hard read

This post was edited by Raidan at April 21, 2016 1:50 PM PDT
    • 769 posts
    April 21, 2016 1:48 PM PDT

Xonth said: I for one think this system would not work like everyone seems to be fantasizing. First people are trying to get player interactions back but you are just paying someone to do "/auction Wts" over and over again. You are just hiring advertisement. I dont think haggling will be the same because its not your item. Why hold out for a higher price when the seller could just take whatever they can I think this is a terrible idea for the main form of player selling mechanism. There are endless negatives to this overly fantasized concept. People are not taking into account that we are playing a computer game. They imagine how it would work in the real world where people would gladly do a repetitive job over and over because they have a family to support. This is a GAME not real life. for every one gamer that would like this system i can guarantee tons more will just look at it as rubbish outside a RP server. Personally i hate spending game time trying to sell items but I would not want this system. Make a bazaar type mechanic that works only in cities. Players can only search in the one city they are in. Make banks not magically connect. Done.

I respectfully, but heartily disagree with this sentiment

Xonth said:  First people are trying to get player interactions back but you are just paying someone to do "/auction Wts" over and over again. You are just hiring advertisement.

Much like how many folks have their "go-to" jewelers, or smiths, or whathaveyou, it would not take long at all to have your go to Trader. Sure, you'd have a lot of the WTS services from the traders, but for those who don't WANT that experience, they'll already have their preferred Traders to go to without even having to step foot into the EC Tunnel, or Pantheons variation of the tunnel. The point is that this effectively splits up the two camps we have here.

Camp 1: Doesn't want to sit in EC and spam WTS. Now it's simply a /Tell "Trader" Yo, you wanna sell my junk?

Camp 2: Does want the experience of sitting in EC. They can do so, AND choose to be a trader for an extra consignment fee if they'd like.

Camp 1 will hardly ever have to step into EC to trade with this system, while Camp 2 will be in there quite often. That works out, because that's where both camps want to be. So yes, you ARE hiring advertisement. You're hiring them to do what you don't want to do, which is the point.

Caveat: I do concede that, when it comes to actually buying new items this doesn't really solve the problem, but in my experiences buying in EC was not nearly as time consuming or tiresome as selling, as long as you know what it is you're looking to buy.

Xonth said:  I dont think haggling will be the same because its not your item. Why hold out for a higher price when the seller could just take whatever they can I think this is a terrible idea for the main form of player selling mechanism.

Part of the greatness of this idea is there is no haggling needed. In this idea, prices are set, as well as the percentage given to the trader. One can not even remove items from consignment until one of two objectives are met. Either the agreed upon price is paid, at which point the fees are immediately sent to both parties, or the original seller decides they don't wish to use the trader's services, at which point the item goes directly back to the original seller. No reason, or even ability to haggle. The reason for having a little red flag of some kind on a consigned item is so that the buyer can tell that haggling isn't an option. That keeps Traders honest, and unable to say "Set price, can't haggle" on items that aren't up for consignment.

This is actually a very simple, cut and dry mechanic. I believe it would be widely used, frankly.

As much as we all hate to admit it, much of what players want is convenience. This is one of those very few times when you're able to make both parties happy. The one that wants the convenience of the AH, and those that want the experience of active trading.

-Tralyan

XXX

This post was edited by Tralyan at April 21, 2016 1:52 PM PDT
    • 11 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:56 AM PDT

I appreciate all the input btw! Thanks for commenting guys.

• 264 posts
    April 25, 2016 10:59 AM PDT

I think something unique that has not been done before would be cool.

For example, Every character has a card that shows their Business name and profession. Lets say you have met or know a tailor and he gives you his card, you can put that in a contact book along with other contacts.

This post was edited by Skycaster at April 28, 2016 1:07 PM PDT
    • 37 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:33 PM PDT

Personally, I understand not wanting a EC style economy, I was never one who thrived on the hours spent buying low and selling high. I would be ok with a AH style system, but if thats not the direction the team is wanting to go, I also have no issue with selling my items in a tunnel =) I like the idea of consignment sells between PCs, however im not sure how this would be implemented, and will save my opinion for when I experience it first hand.