Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Character slots in Alpha / method of leveling

• 1584 posts
    March 8, 2017 1:27 PM PST

A bit off topic, but i see people talking charcter slots and i hope when the game actualy launches that there will be only 4 charcter slots, so no one can be every class and therefore everyone will be unique one way or another, and also having that many charcter slots manly just means they have a tons of charcters that can hole items for there maybe 1 main charcter and maybe 2 highly used alts, so 4 imo is enough.

• 2752 posts
    March 8, 2017 2:33 PM PST

I'd really hope to have more than 4 if I am paying 15+ dollars a month. Even if everyone had 12 slots to be every class, very few if any people are going to level more than two maybe three to max so I don't know about the whole everyone is unique argument there.

As for Alpha, I wouldn't worry about it. This isn't their first rodeo and they know what needs to be tested and you will be shoehorned into whatever that may be at any given time.

• 1618 posts
    March 8, 2017 4:06 PM PST

Riahuf22 said:

A bit off topic, but i see people talking charcter slots and i hope when the game actualy launches that there will be only 4 charcter slots, so no one can be every class and therefore everyone will be unique one way or another, and also having that many charcter slots manly just means they have a tons of charcters that can hole items for there maybe 1 main charcter and maybe 2 highly used alts, so 4 imo is enough.

The only reason to limit you to 4 slots is to sell you more accounts. That's worse than a cash shop.

Why must so many people be against those of us with no lives that want to experience the ENTIRE game. We can't play more than one at a time, without multiple accounts which defeats the limit anyways.

So, stop trying to control how we spend our time.

• 157 posts
    March 8, 2017 4:40 PM PST

I'm not sure I understand the benefit VR gains in limiting slots at all during testing phases other than capping the data we're allowed to each hog up on their servers, with or without /level commands.

What difference does it make if I have 10 separate level 6 rogues, or just 1 when we're trying to find bugs with sneak, Hide, lock pick, or pickpocket?

All of it goes bye bye as the cycles of testing progress, ultimately with the final character wipe.

• 1584 posts
    March 9, 2017 5:55 AM PST
    I don't instant why people feel the need to play every class, it's almost pointless honestly, you main 1 character pretty much only raid, do high end dungeons with that one character, and than have a couple of alts to change the pace of playstyle, but I guess if you guys want 12 character slots you can have them eventually I'll just have like 10 lvl 1 charter selling goods at different locations making a lot of money so thank you
    • 2886 posts
    March 9, 2017 6:04 AM PST

Riahuf22 said: I don't instant why people feel the need to play every class, it's almost pointless honestly, you main 1 character pretty much only raid, do high end dungeons with that one character, and than have a couple of alts to change the pace of playstyle, but I guess if you guys want 12 character slots you can have them eventually I'll just have like 10 lvl 1 charter selling goods at different locations making a lot of money so thank you

While that may be how most people play (myself included), there are also a lot of people that find it boring to play one character a lot. Some people would rather experience a little bit of everything. People play games for many different reasons and there is no "wrong" style.

• 1618 posts
    March 9, 2017 8:02 AM PST

I don't like to do something or I don't understand it, therefore, it should be banned.

• 3852 posts
    March 9, 2017 8:05 AM PST

Why do I want to have more than four characters? Versatility. Suppose guildmates or even strangers want a particular class to round out a group. The more characters I have the more chance I can help. Dorotea Rent-a-Toon. The class you need at a fair price (TM).

Crafting - assume hypothetically that there are more than four crafts - or more than four specializations of those crafts. Assume hypothetically that one character is not allowed to have them all, or cannot get them all to maximum level. I may need more than four characters to have every craft maximized eventually. By crafting I include harvesting. Maxing out everything is a nice long-term goal that will keep me playing quite a while.

The ability to test out every class and every race without having to delete them all to make room for new ones. No I don't expect or want 100+ slots but just four strikes me as too limiting.

The only reasons to have a strict limitation on slots would seem to be (1) extra slots use up resources and cost VR money or restrict other things that can be done. I simply don't know how true this may be. (2) Extra slots can be sold - not the dreaded in-game store that we won't have but as an ancillary service such as server transfers, gender changes, appearance changes, renaming, change of race etc. Please note that I express no opinion on any of these "services" I am referring to what OTHER games without stores do not what Pantheon should do. A limited number of slots encourages us to buy more. (3) Sale of extra accounts - the fewer the slots the more attractive buying an extra account may be.

Note that, of course, a critical factor is how the character slots are limited. There is a significant difference between 10 slots per account and 10 slots per server. The latter lets me try out things on a secondary server although i prefer having every serious character on the same server where they can interact.

Also note that this post is a bit off-topic I fear since I was referring to the game after release not the game in testing. For testing I will happily take whatever they see fit to give.

This post was edited by dorotea at March 9, 2017 8:08 AM PST
    • 243 posts
    March 9, 2017 8:42 AM PST

I imagine that there will be as many character slots available in testing as they expect to release with, and that VR will want feedback on this as well.  Remember that one of the rewards for pledging is an extra character slot, so they will need to find a number where that extra slot is actually meaningful. 

• 2752 posts
    March 9, 2017 9:38 AM PST

Riahuf22 said: I don't instant why people feel the need to play every class, it's almost pointless honestly, you main 1 character pretty much only raid, do high end dungeons with that one character, and than have a couple of alts to change the pace of playstyle, but I guess if you guys want 12 character slots you can have them eventually I'll just have like 10 lvl 1 charter selling goods at different locations making a lot of money so thank you

Different strokes for different folks. No problem with anyone having 10 level 1 characters selling goods at different locations, you still have to put in the same amount of time as anyone else to obtain said goods with a main. Then you would have had to spend all the time delivering them to each location. Sounds fine.

Beefcake said:

I don't like to do something or I don't understand it, therefore, it should be banned.

The history of humanity in a nutshell, sadly. 

• 1584 posts
    March 9, 2017 10:12 AM PST
    Kinda confused with the not wanted to do something thing and all I'm technically the one wanted something different, every game has like 8 different character slots or more, other than maybe a game or 2, just saying
    • 9 posts
    March 9, 2017 6:36 PM PST

As for alpha part of comment , i am sure they will set out only what they need for feedback to be helpful. Now for live side , to those who cant understand why some may like more then 1 character i say why get bored. Why not understand other classes. Why not know when you go to these "Raids" know what other classes bring. Better prepared knowing what Each class brings to table helps in a pinch for reactions or help. If you only want one toon, more power to ya, but dont make me have to settle. You can have your 9 level 1 alts sellin all ya greedy "raid" loots, and i can be more of complete game understanding player for my tastes. Is just my 2 cents but  in alpha as question started they can give you whatever they deem necessary for testing servers and game functionality. They will release a amazing stable in the end game.  Rant off  Mad Respect to VR 

• 3852 posts
    March 10, 2017 7:38 AM PST

None of my characters will ever be as good or as well geared as the character of someone who just has one, and puts as much time and effort into the game as I will. Not even close. So I can understand the bafflement of the one character player - why would someone do that when he/she KNOWS the characters will be inferior?

I will have as much fun with my 10 toonlings as you will with one supertoon. I wouldn't enjoy playing your way - you wouldn't enjoy playing mine. Neither of us is either right or wrong - simply different styles. I will have more versatility and know other classes I group with better - you will be more individually powerful.

• 86 posts
    March 15, 2017 3:53 PM PDT

AgentGenX said:

Ultra said:

I wish you can be all class on one char like ffxi and ffxiv its much better way to get attachted to your char but since its not i hope they have enough slots so you can atleast be one of everything

Ugh no, I disagree with you here. I feel that waters down everyone's uniqueness, when everyone can be anything. When Bob the Ogre logs in, I know that he's a tank, I like that.

Anyway, I'd like to see 6 slots at the least, but I'd expect 8.

Probably possible to have both? there are other advantages to having more than 1 job on your character.. e.g. "Oh chappy's left the group and we have another of my class? ok hang on 15 mins while re-log and walk my alt here". Being a vet of both, too, I'm with Ultra on this.

This post was edited by Idrial at March 15, 2017 3:54 PM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    March 16, 2017 10:36 AM PDT

Lokispawn said:

I'm not sure I understand the benefit VR gains in limiting slots at all during testing phases other than capping the data we're allowed to each hog up on their servers, with or without /level commands.

What difference does it make if I have 10 separate level 6 rogues, or just 1 when we're trying to find bugs with sneak, Hide, lock pick, or pickpocket?

All of it goes bye bye as the cycles of testing progress, ultimately with the final character wipe.

Exactly ...pre-alpha, alpha, and beta  I highly doubt any created characters will be "permanent" ...game wipes happen during the testing phase,  due to whatever reasons make it necessary to do the wipe.     So I wouldn't be falling in love with any testing characters.    :)   Remember:   They can wipe our characters,  but they can't wipe our memories hehehe

• 3016 posts
    March 16, 2017 10:40 AM PDT

I play every class and race ..well the ones that interest me most.  It extends the length of time I play the game,  it feeds into my want to know about every race and class, to understand better, and for crafting, adventuring,  mentoring...all kinds of reasons.   It also gives me a good overall knowledge of the starting lore for each starter city.  :)

• 578 posts
    March 16, 2017 12:18 PM PDT

I'm thinking that pre-alpha or even alpha, if there is a pre-alpha test phase i can't remember, will be a very focused testing phase(s).

There's a good chance we won't have character slots at all and will be given ONE character to test very specific elements of the game. And there is a very good chance that testing will go something like this; the server will be open from 5pm-7pm est on 08/08/2017. The next testing will be 12pm-4pm on 08/30/2017. The next from 6pm-8pm on 09/27/2017. This is a very likely possibility at least for the initial phases.

• 2886 posts
    March 16, 2017 12:24 PM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

I'm thinking that pre-alpha or even alpha, if there is a pre-alpha test phase i can't remember, will be a very focused testing phase(s).

There's a good chance we won't have character slots at all and will be given ONE character to test very specific elements of the game. And there is a very good chance that testing will go something like this; the server will be open from 5pm-7pm est on 08/08/2017. The next testing will be 12pm-4pm on 08/30/2017. The next from 6pm-8pm on 09/27/2017. This is a very likely possibility at least for the initial phases.

Yes, there will be a Pre-Alpha phase (available only to VIPs). Each phase will probably last quite a bit longer than a few hours, but at first, I think only the continent of Kingsreach will be available. As such, there will probably be several races (such as Ogre, Dark Myr, Skar) that will not be initially available for testing. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a limited amount of classes that are done and ready for testing as well. Because yes, at least in Pre-Alpha, the testing is going to be very focused on certain areas, races, and classes. So there will probably not be much need for more than just a few character slots. Especially since server wipes will probably be occurring somewhat frequently at first.