Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Which do you prefer a guild to use? Voice chat programs

• 1468 posts
    February 22, 2016 1:21 AM PST

I'm curious to hear what people prefer their guilds to use when it comes to voice chat programs? As far as I am aware Mumble is the best quality because you can up the bit rate quite a lot with Teamspeak and Discord coming a close second. Also Mumble encrypts all voice chat by default and uses certificates for authentitcation which is more secure than a password. I wouldn't recommend Ventrilo because it keeps your password in a plain text file on the server so anyone who owns the server can find out what your password is.

So what is your prefered voice chat program for guild use?

• Mumble
    • Teamspeak
    • Discord
    • Ventrilo
    • Something else

I'd be interested to hear what you all say :).

• 47 posts
    February 29, 2016 1:21 AM PST

Mumble.

• 7 posts
    February 29, 2016 12:32 PM PST

Our guild transferred from Teamspeak to Mumble a year ago.

• 384 posts
    February 29, 2016 3:46 PM PST

I don't always use voice chat, but when I do, I prefer Mumble. Stay chatty, my friends.

• 511 posts
    February 29, 2016 4:15 PM PST

Discord is all you need now a days :P

• 2419 posts
    February 29, 2016 5:35 PM PST

Dreconic said:

Discord is all you need now a days :P

Agreed. Discord provides more functionality than Mumble/Ventrilo/Teamspeak while also giving you solid text chatting capabilities.

• 671 posts
    March 1, 2016 10:35 PM PST

Nothing...

I see no reason why you have to speak to another Character's Player. Though, I really wish Pantheon would bring back Chat bubbles...  makes it so much easier to play the game, than read battlespam, etc.

• 1468 posts
    March 1, 2016 10:41 PM PST

Hieromonk said:

Nothing...

I see no reason why you have to speak to another Character's Player.

Not sure if serious...

• 511 posts
    March 2, 2016 12:03 AM PST

Cromulent said:

Hieromonk said:

Nothing...

I see no reason why you have to speak to another Character's Player.

Not sure if serious...

I think he meant verbal talking, not chatting...

Either way, with today's VOIP programs and faster pace of games it is almost required if you want to be used for at least listening even if you dont want to talk...

• 63 posts
    March 2, 2016 5:29 PM PST

I actually prefer to listen to crazy ambient music (mostly metal) while I play MMO's. If I had my way, I'd rather type to players rather than use mic chat. I don't necessarily want to associate a voice with an avatar, but that's just in MMO's that I really want to immerse myself in. I realize that seems odd, but I feel like I learned how to type lightning fast playing games like EQ where you had a lot to say in between mob pulls.

To answer the OP, I'd vote Vent since it's been around forever and servers are super cheap.

Talv

• 1468 posts
    March 2, 2016 8:24 PM PST

Talvaris said:

I actually prefer to listen to crazy ambient music (mostly metal) while I play MMO's. If I had my way, I'd rather type to players rather than use mic chat. I don't necessarily want to associate a voice with an avatar, but that's just in MMO's that I really want to immerse myself in. I realize that seems odd, but I feel like I learned how to type lightning fast playing games like EQ where you had a lot to say in between mob pulls.

To answer the OP, I'd vote Vent since it's been around forever and servers are super cheap.

Talv

Yeah I agree I like listening to music when I play as well (I'm also a big metal fan) but modern VoIP apps will turn down the music when someone is talking and then raise it back up when they stop and they do this automatically so that you can still listen to music when using VoIP and get the best of both worlds :).

I remember doing raids without VoIP and having the raid leader type out all the instructions took ages. I'd rather not go back to that myself.

• 96 posts
    March 3, 2016 1:40 AM PST

I've used many of voice software, from roger wilco back in the day to current ones.

The one I prefer really comes down to the usage. If it's just a few using it then anything will work basically. In terms of guild use, I don't mind using ventrilo, but I find with a large active community I prefer TS. TS allows more organization of channels and just flat out nice features in my opinion.

• 578 posts
    March 6, 2016 9:35 PM PST

I really don't have a preference. They all seem to function well enough. I guess if you were hosting a voip then that would possibly make a bigger difference.

It's wierd though because I know a lot of MMOs actually have voice chat within the game itself yet players still seem to use outside voips. It's 2016, I don't see why the game itself can't produce a quality voice chat system that functions well, provides a lot of features, that players actually like to use.

With the way MMOs are designed nowadays with the ultra quick dungeon runs, instant gratification, teleporting to any possible situation need be, highly soloable content, the lack of dependency between classes, etc etc coupled with the lack of voice chat and you are just asking players to not socialize. Not many players type and with the ability to just jump into a group at the click of a button, teleport to where the group is, and teleport out after they're done there's no reason to ever say a word.

IF the game itself had a sexy voice chat system already in game then players might actually socialize/bond more easily because there would be nothing to set up. Even in these MMOs out already that have these ultra quick dungeon runs, if a voice system was in place players would at least have the option to socialize much more easily at the ready.

• 1468 posts
    March 7, 2016 1:57 AM PST

NoobieDoo said:

I really don't have a preference. They all seem to function well enough. I guess if you were hosting a voip then that would possibly make a bigger difference.

It's wierd though because I know a lot of MMOs actually have voice chat within the game itself yet players still seem to use outside voips. It's 2016, I don't see why the game itself can't produce a quality voice chat system that functions well, provides a lot of features, that players actually like to use.

With the way MMOs are designed nowadays with the ultra quick dungeon runs, instant gratification, teleporting to any possible situation need be, highly soloable content, the lack of dependency between classes, etc etc coupled with the lack of voice chat and you are just asking players to not socialize. Not many players type and with the ability to just jump into a group at the click of a button, teleport to where the group is, and teleport out after they're done there's no reason to ever say a word.

IF the game itself had a sexy voice chat system already in game then players might actually socialize/bond more easily because there would be nothing to set up. Even in these MMOs out already that have these ultra quick dungeon runs, if a voice system was in place players would at least have the option to socialize much more easily at the ready.

The problem with built in VoIP in games is it just doesn't provide the wide range of permissions that external VoIP applications allow. Mumble has ACLs so you can have complex relationships between channels. For instance you can automatically mute everyone while the raid is talking. Very useful for when you need people to listen to instructions. You can also restrict channels to specific groups which I doubt you could ever do in built in VoIP.

So yeah while it is a good idea in theory most people don't use the built in VoIP because it doesn't offer the features they need.

• 201 posts
    March 16, 2016 5:56 AM PDT

Mumble is always going to be good for most communities except for some lacking features in it.  The price is a huge advantage.  We however use TS as the better channel system and sound quality makes the cost worth it.

I hear a lot of votes for discord but like many other free to use chat/voip programs, we will probably see this one drop off soon.  These service seem to only have a short life span before they hit a wall.

• 12 posts
    March 21, 2016 3:31 PM PDT

Mumble

good quality and its free (if you run it on your own server)

• 128 posts
    March 21, 2016 4:22 PM PDT

Honestly don't care i guess. But also never use anything other then teamspeak.

All those other things have never been used in any guild i have been in. I have heared about mumble and vent at least, but noone seemed to like em enough and wherever i went, there has always been a TS server and nothing else. Not in pickup raids, not in guild raids. Never. So honestly thought all but Teamspeak died out years ago lol. Guess i was wrong.

• 1095 posts
    March 21, 2016 4:34 PM PDT

I like Mumble/voice for raids but I like the guild chat in game to be active. I dont want to have a 3rd party application opening for text chat, kinda silly.

• 74 posts
    March 21, 2016 4:35 PM PDT

Discord. 

Aside from what's already been mentioned, getting guests into the voice server is crazy easy and you can set timelimits on their invites (great for PUG runs). Nice mobile app available (iOS/Android) and even has web-talk/chat capability (if you're not in game and just want to hop on and talk without a client).

Their access rights are pretty nice. You can set tags on people then assign tags to voice/text channels.

I believe it's in the works, but one complaint I have with it is the inability to "group channels". You can't have Groups then sub Groups would be Group 1, Group 2, etc. 

• 180 posts
    March 24, 2016 2:15 PM PDT

I actually like Teamspeak or Ventrilo, always had problems with Mumble for some reason :)

• 47 posts
    March 28, 2016 7:29 PM PDT

Whichever one has a decent overlay to use and that works. I've never had problems talking with TS, Vent, or Mumble, and never tried Discord. But I play on a laptop, no duel screens, and I'm terrible at remembering voices, and I want to see who's talking! It's easy for everyone else because I'm usually one of the few girls in chat, but all you guys sound the same!

• 180 posts
    March 28, 2016 9:22 PM PDT

My friends use TS when we are playing together but I prefer not to have to use it with people I don't know.

• 5 posts
    March 31, 2016 8:32 AM PDT

I prefer Teamspeak since that is what the majority of guilds I have been in used. I see a lot of people making their way over Discord now 

• 801 posts
    March 31, 2016 8:44 AM PDT

TS, but never will be a requirement due to people having issues with kids, play time, and quiet time.

Its 6.60 per month at fragnet CDN price to USD. You can get it much cheaper but you will not get much better support then fragnet.

When i can i try to encourage TS but there is personallities that can rub off in TS more then text chat. Sometimes it also can be hard to control if a whole guild uses it.

Group wise? perfect. I will pay for a 100 man server if needed to bring everyone closer.

• 801 posts
    March 31, 2016 8:47 AM PDT

Zani said:

I actually like Teamspeak or Ventrilo, always had problems with Mumble for some reason :)

mumble still allow you to spy on others? we used it in other games and would spy on others. It was apart of the game to send in spies.

You could sit in general chat rooms, and hear in on closed locked admin rooms.