Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Gold seller spam - how about player defined chat filters?

• 542 posts
    April 29, 2017 3:13 PM PDT

Create a cool ingame alternatives to being rich
    Why couldn't it be a valid choice not to chase gold? would a character like a druid prefer physical objects such as gold over mind and spirit?
    If the game would provide the content where it is awesome being a commoner or poor,the battle would be half won
    Providing different privileges for each status.
    Other optional ideals for which a player can struggle,and a firm grounding for you and your friends who fight for the same ideals.
    Someone who chases different ideals might gain different privileges in a city or society.

• 15 posts
    May 2, 2017 5:29 AM PDT

i think it will be hard for gold sellers to stay in pantheon, because its not a F2P.

everytime the gold sellers will get banned ,they will need to rebuy the game and subscribe for a month everytime.

i don't think they will be able to use the same credit card everytime.

• 15 posts
    May 2, 2017 5:35 AM PDT

they will try to sell gold outside the game ,where they can't get banned,spamming on forums and creating website i think

• 793 posts
    May 2, 2017 6:06 AM PDT

CoffeeManiac said:

they will try to sell gold outside the game ,where they can't get banned,spamming on forums and creating website i think

Agreed, we will never stop it 100%, but keeping it from interrupting our gameplay and allowing VR to monitor and handle it in the background is the best solution.

So that means reducing the avenues in-game for the sellers to advertise, and that includes global chat channels outside of private channels.

The ONLY use I have ever found for a global channel was for asking questions about the game. But even then it is up to the players to police themselves and when the channel gets off track from it's primary usage, it needs to be the players that bring it back on track.

A channel with such a purpose will lose it's function if those players with questions get their question lost within a wall of mundane chat about the the latest viral video or something.

Possibly make it so that the channel is not just "hit enter" and chat, but make it a "must click question or answer button" to speak in channel, that would slow some folks down, and limit how many questions or answers you can post in a certain timeframe.

Pet Peeve: the people who hit enter avery 2 or 3 words and fill up a chatbox with a single sentence. :P

• 513 posts
    May 2, 2017 7:16 AM PDT

I think I have indicated in these forums before what my preference is:  A server-side filter AND a client side filter.  VR should definately have a say and and way to enforce what is allowed or not.  This can not be debatable.  But at the same time, we can not possibly put all the responsibility on them or the CS team.  Some folk are not offended in any way by what the hear/read.  I was a Marine a long time ago - I already been called everything there is to be called and I have already been shot at.  BTW, being shot at makes all the childish names seem very petty at best.  Some folk have not had the opportunity to be truly offended - and I say good on you.  But then suddenly they get exposed to certain things in gaming they don't want to be exposed to (or want their kids exposed to, etc.).  So give them a gui friendly client-side filter system that let's them filter what they want - be it an annoying potty-mouthed player or maybe just a word they don't like.  DevTime permitting of course.  If possible allow them some control over replacement characters for specific words and so on.  I have been fortunate enough to experience account holders who don't like certain words and contacted me asking to vae words added to the Server-Side filter.  Some of the words included things like "stupid", "dummy", and "moron".  Hard to believe eh?  But it happens.  I disagree with adding words like that to the server-side filter.  But is there any harm in letting people add that to their client side filter?  It has no affect on anyone else.

Having both filters can allow a person to /ignore gold sellers etc. as it should.  Eventually enough /reports are issued on a sellar and they get their ban/suspension.  But a client side filter stops annoying you instantly.  But this can also be used for other reasons:  it isn't just gold sellers that can be annoying.  Sometimes their are young or new players who sit and beg continuously.  I don't want them banned - i just want a /ignore x w y command to ignore them for x= hours y = levels z = insert whatever ya want here.  Let's hope they go out and toughen up before seeking my free stuff.

• 1303 posts
    May 2, 2017 7:34 AM PDT

CoffeeManiac said:

True. But the transaction of gold to character still must occur in the game. While chat filters or monitoring chat might not stop the issue, flagging and insvestigating handoff of 1000's of gold with nothing in return, can. 

[edit] It would be also perfectly reasonable to expect that VR would have people buying gold on the websites you mentioned, and then banning the account that shows up in game to hand off the gold :) 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at May 2, 2017 7:37 AM PDT
    • 24 posts
    May 2, 2017 8:06 AM PDT

Make Gold sellers automatically attackable by anyone ^^.  Really though just the ability to click on thier name in chat and block or block/report should be enough.  Gold sellers sould be banned, or killed with fire.. either one, either one.  

• 3016 posts
    May 2, 2017 8:27 AM PDT

CoffeeManiac said:

i think it will be hard for gold sellers to stay in pantheon, because its not a F2P.

everytime the gold sellers will get banned ,they will need to rebuy the game and subscribe for a month everytime.

i don't think they will be able to use the same credit card everytime.

Remembering that they DO gain access to stolen credit cards.........I remember Smed from EQ talking about that..and how those same credit cards get charged back to the game company.   Let's try and be aware of what goes on. 

As for myself..I don't buy accounts,  I don't sell accounts, I don't buy gold, platinum or isk.      What I DO is recognize bots, botters..and I definitely report them.   That is definitely in the best interests of anyone or everyone who has donated to get this game to release,  to do the same. 

Take ownership...this is OUR game OURS.    Do you want the equivalent of a massive infestation of cockroaches taking over and running the game economy...and basically ruining this game for everyone?      I left LineageII because of that.   Lines and lines of bots lined up ready for use in each newbie village...criss crossing the landscape every two minutes.   Stealing your drops,  barring your access to caves, dungeons..pvping you if you dared to protest.  

Granted Pantheon will have pvp ruleset servers,  but I just wanted to give the whole picture here on how bad it can get.     The other thing to be aware of ..is not only should there be an account wide ban if that person is discovered to be a gold spammer,  botter...etc etc.  

I have seen WHOLE guilds of botters.    So it would behoove the Devs to be aware of that possibility.        For my own part I WILL report anyone like that..that is trying to degrade my game.    Period.  :)   And I agree..no global chats,  unless /guild, /group ..zone wide is good enough.     I am fed up with trolls and others who abuse chat.   And one more thing ..if you are auctioning..AUCTION IN THE DANGED AUCTION CHANNEL.       I see people do the reverse..auction in general and chatter in the auction channel.../rolleyes.       If I am not interested in what you're selling ie:  I've turned off auction completely..I don't want your auction spam in my general chat EITHER.  :)      k  off my podium....exit cranky old lady.  :P

Cana

• 1584 posts
    May 2, 2017 8:36 AM PDT

There are a ton of good ideas here guys, yes they need to be wiped out of our servers and the idea Sevens had is probably one of the best one i see, we don't need server wide chat, in fact i know me as a player i always and i repeat ALWAYS take it off my chat bars, mainly becuase for the most part i hear nothing but bad things from it with maybe the occasional "where to i find xyz" statements, or in my server with a certain guild i get 50 dumb people constantly saying "I am Sil" like they living in "the Walking Dead" show but obviously they say "I am Neagan" instead so yeah i turn  it off lol

• 3016 posts
    May 2, 2017 8:41 AM PDT

Iviean said:

Make Gold sellers automatically attackable by anyone ^^.  Really though just the ability to click on thier name in chat and block or block/report should be enough.  Gold sellers sould be banned, or killed with fire.. either one, either one.  

In Lord of the Rings online,  I played a pvp spider,  the nickname for us was "creeps" the other guys were "freeps" (free peoples)   the creeps were confined to the Ettenmoors,  well!  that was a great place for the gold farmers to place their bots for farming.   Except for one thing...our gang would go around and wipe them out for free points,  several times a day.   Set your bot back up..I dare you.   Muhahaha

• 32 posts
    May 2, 2017 8:55 AM PDT

take one from black desert for spam , enough said story over...

• 1714 posts
    May 2, 2017 9:41 AM PDT

EnlightenedGuru said:

take one from black desert for spam , enough said story over...

You mean remove the ablility for PCs to trade with each other? lol

• 32 posts
    May 2, 2017 10:10 AM PDT

Krixus said:

You mean remove the ablility for PCs to trade with each other? lol

Umm that wouldnt work lol, but i was talking about the chat block filter like www. etc. Before that filter, I would get 40 to 50 tells a day or spammed in chat system , after they added that filter it was 0 tells.

This post was edited by EnlightenedGuru at May 2, 2017 10:12 AM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    May 2, 2017 10:13 AM PDT

They always get creative with chat filters. I still content that trial accounts should have their own seperate chat channel that subscribers can tap into if they want, and no ability to trade with players or send tells.

A report function does no good with how fast they churn out accounts, you rarely get spam from the same person. On top of that, if you see the spam then you've already lost. Reporting is like putting a bandage on a wound instead of trying to stop the cut to begin with. 

• 1714 posts
    May 2, 2017 11:31 AM PDT

EnlightenedGuru said:

Umm that wouldnt work lol, but i was talking about the chat block filter like www. etc. Before that filter, I would get 40 to 50 tells a day or spammed in chat system , after they added that filter it was 0 tells.

Umm when I played BDO at launch, you could not trade with other players. THAT was their solution to gold farming. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at May 2, 2017 11:32 AM PDT
    • 542 posts
    May 2, 2017 12:48 PM PDT

maybe if the chat is local just like the AH mentioned in the stream today
    achieve level 30 in order to to unlock general local zone chats
    + gain x reputation with the local alignment in order to use that local chat

Mod Edit: Removed image as we don't allow images outside of the Off-Topic section unless requested by a Devs for a visual aid.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at May 2, 2017 1:56 PM PDT
    • 844 posts
    May 2, 2017 3:10 PM PDT

Deadlyfury said: Ever quest actually does this quite well, it has an automatic report system and if someone spams too much and enough players report it (unsure how many) their posts get automatically ignored

Unfortunately this is easily abused by griefers, and griefer groups that can get legitimate players banned. I have seen global chats gang up on innocent legitimate players in this manner. EQ2 is mostly played by diehard fanboi's now, so less trouble with idiot griefers but it happens.

• 844 posts
    May 2, 2017 3:17 PM PDT

Krixus said:

EnlightenedGuru said:

Umm when I played BDO at launch, you could not trade with other players. THAT was their solution to gold farming. 

Yeah, that won't work in Pantheon.

• 542 posts
    May 2, 2017 3:23 PM PDT

If the chat was reduced to your radius,players might use the opportunity more often to interact with the players they encounter.

gold sellers can't spam any longer,problem solved hehe

That and unlocking chat at lvl 10 ,friendlist being the exception