Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pre-Alpha/Alpha

• 65 posts
    April 10, 2016 4:19 PM PDT

The main difference, and I think the reason EQN failed, is that Pantheon is not an open sandbox game.

Mod Edit: Please do not delete posts or remove text that has been replied too as it makes it very confusing for others reading what was said and what people are replying to if they haven't quoted you. If you need to correct yourself please edit your post and add the correction below you original post.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at April 20, 2016 5:37 PM PDT
    • 144 posts
    April 10, 2016 5:41 PM PDT

Welcome

Alot of us feel the same way.  From what I see coming out over the next couple of years this is the best thing since VG to come around.

Lots of pressure on the team I am sure.  Its a great team and this will be done well.

~Chaam

• 12 posts
    April 10, 2016 6:01 PM PDT

I really miss Vg, god i loved that game

• 556 posts
    April 11, 2016 8:39 AM PDT

Cobes said:

The main difference, and I think the reason EQN failed, is that Pantheon is not an open sandbox game.  

Um what is Pantheon if not a sandbox? It's definitely not a themepark. There will be questing but not like in most modern games and leveling will be mob killing. You are free to explore anywhere in the world at any time with things to do in every place. That's essentially a sandbox. 

• 65 posts
    April 11, 2016 11:50 AM PDT

Enitzu said:

Cobes said:

Um what is Pantheon if not a sandbox? It's definitely not a themepark. There will be questing but not like in most modern games and leveling will be mob killing. You are free to explore anywhere in the world at any time with things to do in every place. That's essentially a sandbox. 

Oh wow I went back and re-read what McQuaid said I and completely misunderstood what he was saying lol. Regardless I still think these guys have the correct plan!  When I was saying open sandbox in regards to EQN I was really trying to describe how they said the game would not require any new content to be made because it would create its own content.

This post was edited by Cobes at April 11, 2016 11:56 AM PDT
    • 12 posts
    April 20, 2016 7:24 AM PDT

Monthly reminder, any new info ?

• 430 posts
    April 20, 2016 11:34 AM PDT
    Patience is a virtue , who's virtue I simply can not say .
    • 1714 posts
    April 20, 2016 1:52 PM PDT

Shea said: Patience is a virtue , who's virtue I simply can not say .

Not mine. 

• 2756 posts
    April 20, 2016 3:43 PM PDT

SO looking forward to it.

I literally can't even remember if I was involved in the EQ beta, but I was there from 'the beginning'.

With various overlaps: Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest II, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, Guild Wars, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan, Aion, Champions, Rift, Star Wars the Old Republic, Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online.

That's 17 years of MMORPGs and for the last half or more I've been looking back to the first few.  To be honest after the shininess of EQ2 wore off, I was beginning to wonder what was happening.

WoW was shiny and slick but that was when I really started to realise I was soloing when my friends weren't playing and I hardly needed to group up.  Huh?  It happened long before, but the Lich King dungeon finder treadmill was when it was finally pounded into me that something had gone horribly wrong with my favourite niche genre.

Lots to like in all those games, but lots to be disappointed in.  Every time the next best MMORPG came out I got all excited.  Every time it turns out there's less and less reason to play with friends.  Less and less challenge.  Less and less... I dunno... heart.  In the games and in me *sniffle*.

So here we are.  Nearing Alpha for Pantheon.  I've pledged because I want to help VR save the soul of this poor dying genre and, in doing so, save my own gaming soul. *thuds fist to chest and raises chin skyward*

• 839 posts
    April 20, 2016 4:15 PM PDT

Shea said: Patience is a virtue , who's virtue I simply can not say .

I eat patience for breakfast! no hang on, i eat virtue for..no thats not it...  hmm i know... i am impatient for breakfast!!  Oops, no not that either... oh thats right..

OMG I just wanna sink my teeth into this game!!

• 84 posts
    April 22, 2016 2:17 PM PDT

Rachael said:

It'll come when it comes, I'd rather them take the time to do stuff right then rush things because were being impatient. :P

I cannot for the life of me figure out why so many of you think a delayed start to PRE-alpha somehow equals a better chance that they are taking the time to do things right. A delayed start to PRE-alpha does not necessarily mean a delayed release. It doesn't even mean a delayed start to alpha. What it most likely does mean is a shorten pre-alpha.

In my business you bring in testers up front and early to ensure success. Of course we have about 6 year development timelines.

• 453 posts
    April 22, 2016 4:12 PM PDT

Zephyroth said:

Me too :( Just built a new gaming PC in anticipation of playing alpha but I have nothing else I want to play. I hop on the VG emulator every day, but it's still early stages. VG indeed was a great game. 

• 781 posts
    May 17, 2016 10:28 PM PDT

Zephyroth said:

I feel ya !  :)  Great game

• 668 posts
    May 18, 2016 10:18 PM PDT

Jason said:

Zephyroth said:

Me too :( Just built a new gaming PC in anticipation of playing alpha but I have nothing else I want to play. I hop on the VG emulator every day, but it's still early stages. VG indeed was a great game. 

Tell me more about this emulator?  Playable game?

• 2130 posts
    May 19, 2016 10:13 AM PDT

Cobes said:

EQN failed because of the staggering incompetence that has historically always been present in SOE/DBG. They overpromised massively and unsurprisingly failed to deliver on even half of what was promised. The small portion they did manage to deliver on will live on in a dead game known as Landmark.

Pyye said:

Tell me more about this emulator?  Playable game?

Not playable, sadly. A lot of the core backbone of the server infrastructure is still missing, so while you can log in and run around the game world, you can't play the game in anywhere near the capacity VG allowed you too. Combat is still not complete, for instance.

This post was edited by Liav at May 19, 2016 10:13 AM PDT
    • 613 posts
    May 20, 2016 10:23 AM PDT

Liav Stated:

EQN failed because of the staggering incompetence that has historically always been present in SOE/DBG. They overpromised massively and unsurprisingly failed to deliver on even half of what was promised. The small portion they did manage to deliver on will live on in a dead game known as Landmark.

Nailed it.  It was a great concept but I am afraid there was so much BS going on behind the scenes none of hat was promised would make it into reality.  I think VR is going about this correctly or at least sensibly. 

Ox

• 12 posts
    June 3, 2016 7:48 AM PDT

aannnnnnnnddddddddddddddddddddddd its this time of the month again :D Any new info ?

• 174 posts
    June 3, 2016 7:51 AM PDT

The latest from Brad is around the end of the year.  Check back in 7 months...

• 1860 posts
    June 3, 2016 5:20 PM PDT

Chimerical said:

Hopefully we get the next class reveal before then!

Honestly, what I'm looking forward to the most, prior to alpha, is finding out what race/class combos will be possible.

• 8 posts
    July 1, 2016 8:17 AM PDT

Chimerical said:

Was that officially announced somwhere or were you just joking?

Dar

• 23 posts
    July 1, 2016 10:55 AM PDT

From what I gathered from the stream, it's still way to early for an Alpha to start. Seems like they were playing most of the content that was available, which wasn't much. One half complete dungeon and a partially populated outdoor zone isn't enough.

Novermber or Dec sounds reasonable, it's not THAT far off. 

• 84 posts
    July 1, 2016 11:28 AM PDT

Some of us are waiting for pre-alpha..

• 63 posts
    July 1, 2016 3:46 PM PDT

Nydan said:

@Kilsin and @Aradune

Please provide public notice before pre-alpha starts so that us with weak wills can buy into it when it is available. Wouldn't want to miss out since I didn't upgrade to >=Originator's Pledge before the fact. Thanks!

• 35 posts
    July 2, 2016 12:59 AM PDT

kiwenzel said:

Nydan said:

@Kilsin and @Aradune

Please provide public notice before pre-alpha starts so that us with weak wills can buy into it when it is available. Wouldn't want to miss out since I didn't upgrade to >=Originator's Pledge before the fact. Thanks!

This! ^^

• 9115 posts
    July 2, 2016 5:33 AM PDT

We have already made it very clear that we will give notice, we have specified for each testing phase that it will be broken down into sessions and each session notified so they can plan holidays, sick days, time off etc. no company in their right mind would fail to advertise or fail to give prior notice for a testing phase that helps that company out... lol ;)

In regards to pledges, we have no immediate intentions to change them but a change can happen without notice, so we always encourage you to purchase the pledge you want as soon as you are reasonably able to do so, as there is a small chance you could miss out, we will not make prior announcements before changing pledges as it is usually a business decision.