Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Optimized for Windows 10 / DX 12

• 85 posts
    November 28, 2015 3:36 AM PST

I had a friend ask me the same question. And the best answer I could give him is.. If your pc was able to raid in VG then im pretty sure it would handle pantheon fine.

• 9115 posts
    November 28, 2015 7:16 AM PST

Azraell said:

I had a friend ask me the same question. And the best answer I could give him is.. If your pc was able to raid in VG then im pretty sure it would handle pantheon fine.

You can't really compare like that man, the game engines are so far apart it is impossible to compare performance between PRF (Unity 5) and VG (Hacked Unreal 2.5) but if you have a decent gaming machine that is within the last 5 years or so, you should be fine.

There will be settings to adjust for those who struggle :)

• 671 posts
    November 28, 2015 9:28 AM PST

Dullahan said:

I kind of doubt Pantheon is going to be focusing heavily on utilizing DX12. Graphically, DX12 hasn't announced any real innovations. DX12 is really more about performance and multithreading, and going forward with the assumption that the average player will have both compliant hardware and software to make use of it could result in a Vanguard scenario all over again. In other words, optimizing Pantheon using current or even next gen GPU performance with DX12 as a baseline could alienate players with a PC built even as late as 2016 (the best nvidia cards are not optimized for DX12). That would be a catastrophe.

Thats not to say those of us with newer hardware won't see innate performance gains in Unity5 games, I just don't think it will be (or should be) that important to Pantheon.

Pantheon the game itself, doesnt have to focus on DX12 as much.

It is what DX 12 bring to the Unity 5 engine... that Visionary Realms can utilize. DX 12 brings utility and low level optimization of hardware. Hands free improvements for all.

The Vanguard situation was because of a new API and big change in how the OS handles sound and calls for the video system. If you didn't have those, the game wouldnt play on your old machines. Much... much different in this regard to DX12, because Unity 5 handles 64bit OS really well.

Who in 2017 won't be using Windows10..? This thread is nearly pointless, becausde Visionary Realms doesn't have to worry about any of this. DX12 is installed on more computers than not, right now. It is thee current standard.

Matter of fact, you will be able to throw in two dissimiliar cards and use your old and new video card together (non-SLI) in the near future.

I don't see any problems with Pantheon, Unity 5 or DX12. This games platform is solid. Most have 2 years to upgrade their rigs to today's standards, if not don't turn the game's graphics slider all the way up and play.

/eos

• 1434 posts
    November 28, 2015 12:11 PM PST

Thats true, and it will be nice to see those performance improvements. On top of that, openGL (now known as Vulkan) is gaining traction and many predict will even overtake DirectX in the coming years. This would be especially good for an engine like Unity, as they are both designed to be cross platform.

All I'm saying is that with new technology comes the ability to increase the demand on hardware. Its important to keep in mind that current gen hardware will not perform nearly as well as cards introduced in the next few years. The potential problem is honestly no different than Vanguard at all. If a game is optimized assuming the better multithreading capability of future cards, old cards may end up running poorly.

• 46 posts
    November 28, 2015 1:18 PM PST

If i put it on low settings do you think I will be able to play it on my Commodore 64?

This post was edited by Tuhart at November 28, 2015 1:19 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 28, 2015 9:48 PM PST

Tuhart said:

If i put it on low settings do you think I will be able to play it on my Commodore 64?

Lol, no, that would be pretty cool though ;)