Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Optimized for Windows 10 / DX 12

• 39 posts
    October 30, 2015 11:29 AM PDT

Hi Team,

I'm currently in the process of building a new PC.  One of the things that goes along with that is purchasing a new OS.  Will Pantheon be optimized for Direct X 12 / Windows 10 or should I stay with Windows 7 for the best experience?  Is there a preference for testing?  I am trying to be forward thinking on this as by 2017 Windows 10 will be the norm for Enterprise enviornments (meaning it will be my home OS of choice).  Just curious to know if I need to setup for dual boot or not.  

-Baulkin

• 72 posts
    October 30, 2015 11:48 AM PDT

I sure hope this is something that can be accomplished! I've read a lot of interesting statistical analysis of the DX12 optimization! Very exciting if this is the case!

• 511 posts
    October 30, 2015 11:55 AM PDT

I hope they enable to use of the Multi-GPU Support. This allows you to run not only different version of cards (say your new 970 with your old 760) but also cross platforms as well. Yes this means you can run an AMD GPU right next to a NVidia GPU. Best results so far as been the Fury X in first lane, paired with a NVidia 980 Ti. This beat out any titan+nvidia comp, any amd+amd comp, and any Nvidia(first lane)+amd(second) comp.

Overall it gave the system about 56% more power than the card alone, and about 16% more power than other multi-GPU setups (I.E 980 ti +980 Ti, or fury x plus fury x). While 56 % is an ok boost you would like to see higher with a second GPU but this is higher than the normal 30-40%. And if you want to run games in 2017 on ultra settings with a 28 inch 4k monitor, your go with the best option, and right now AMD driving with NVidia as the co-pilot is best...

• 72 posts
    October 30, 2015 12:05 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

I hope they enable to use of the Multi-GPU Support. This allows you to run not only different version of cards (say your new 970 with your old 760) but also cross platforms as well. Yes this means you can run an AMD GPU right next to a NVidia GPU. Best results so far as been the Fury X in first lane, paired with a NVidia 980 Ti. This beat out any titan+nvidia comp, any amd+amd comp, and any Nvidia(first lane)+amd(second) comp.

Overall it gave the system about 56% more power than the card alone, and about 16% more power than other multi-GPU setups (I.E 980 ti +980 Ti, or fury x plus fury x). While 56 % is an ok boost you would like to see higher with a second GPU but this is higher than the normal 30-40%. And if you want to run games in 2017 on ultra settings with a 28 inch 4k monitor, your go with the best option, and right now AMD driving with NVidia as the co-pilot is best...

Interesting stuff! But let's not forget that this game isn't supposed to release until 2017... Plenty of GPU advances to be made between here and there! None the less interesting all the same :D

• 511 posts
    October 30, 2015 12:11 PM PDT

Furor said:

Interesting stuff! But let's not forget that this game isn't supposed to release until 2017... Plenty of GPU advances to be made between here and there! None the less interesting all the same :D

Aye, even the people that did the study were surprised that having one of each out-performed having 2 of same and that the AMD in the first lane with NVidia in the second gave best results. The Fury X has a very fast memory clock speed and larger throughput, while the 980 ti has a faster core and faster throughput. To me this means the Fury X is not having to wait on the 2nd GPU to render its frames, and also has the throughput to output its info+ that of the second GPU. And the 980 is fast enough on the processing that it can get the data to the fury X quicker then if the 980 was waiting for the fury X.

• 9115 posts
    October 30, 2015 4:33 PM PDT

Baulkin said:

Hi Team,

I'm currently in the process of building a new PC.  One of the things that goes along with that is purchasing a new OS.  Will Pantheon be optimized for Direct X 12 / Windows 10 or should I stay with Windows 7 for the best experience?  Is there a preference for testing?  I am trying to be forward thinking on this as by 2017 Windows 10 will be the norm for Enterprise enviornments (meaning it will be my home OS of choice).  Just curious to know if I need to setup for dual boot or not.  

-Baulkin

A lot of us are running it on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7 now and it runs fine across the board for all (have windows 10 and it is running great). We are developing the game with the intention of supporting DX 12, this, of course, could change, but so far it is the plan.

I just want to point out again that you do not need a beast gaming PC to run Pantheon, it has some breathtaking graphics in-game that some of our Devs are running on mid-range machines. :)

• 999 posts
    October 30, 2015 5:11 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

A lot of us are running it on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7 now and it runs fine across the board for all (have windows 10 and it is running great). We are developing the game with the intention of supporting DX 12, this, of course, could change, but so far it is the plan.

I just want to point out again that you do not need a beast gaming PC to run Pantheon, it has some breathtaking graphics in-game that some of our Devs are running on mid-range machines. :)

Good to hear, and I know the minimum specification requirements aren't known for release, but is there any word on what the minimum requirements will be for pre-alpha/alpha?  I have a pretty ancient gaming laptop that will need to be upgraded for Pantheon, but I'd prefer to wait as long as possible to get the most bang for my buck :).

• 9115 posts
    October 30, 2015 10:13 PM PDT

Raidan said:

Kilsin said:

Good to hear, and I know the minimum specification requirements aren't known for release, but is there any word on what the minimum requirements will be for pre-alpha/alpha?  I have a pretty ancient gaming laptop that will need to be upgraded for Pantheon, but I'd prefer to wait as long as possible to get the most bang for my buck :).

I will work on getting that information to you as soon as possible mate, we are in the process of a few updates so once we have a stableish (it's a word I promise ;)) build I will see if I can grab some figures for everyone.

• 999 posts
    October 31, 2015 8:49 AM PDT

Thanks Kilsin - much appreciated and the word sounds good to me haha.

• 154 posts
    October 31, 2015 2:56 PM PDT

I would also imagine that the computer specs and performance will be something that will be tested in alpha/beta to create the suggested machine requirements.

• 671 posts
    October 31, 2015 4:31 PM PDT

Furor said:

Dreconic said:

True^

I am on Windows 10 Pro ($199) and all set for the future. Unity 5 platform will support DirectX 12 so I guess we do not have anything to worry about..!

http://www.windowscentral.com/directx-12-will-be-supported-unity-engine-better-graphics

• 1281 posts
    October 31, 2015 4:49 PM PDT

It's far to early to be concerned with system requirements. Until they get dozens of zones, with dozens of players in every zone, we're not really going to know. For all we know the current zone sizes may be too big and be reduced, or possibly too small and will be increased. Both factors could drastically change  system requirements.

On top of that, developers may either increase or decrease the amount of polygons and processing effects in zones based on performance feedback received in testing. Things could drastically change between now and release.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at October 31, 2015 4:50 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    October 31, 2015 11:33 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

It's far to early to be concerned with system requirements. Until they get dozens of zones, with dozens of players in every zone, we're not really going to know. For all we know the current zone sizes may be too big and be reduced, or possibly too small and will be increased. Both factors could drastically change  system requirements.

On top of that, developers may either increase or decrease the amount of polygons and processing effects in zones based on performance feedback received in testing. Things could drastically change between now and release.

This is pretty accurate, we can only guess or use a very small test pool (being team members who have the client) to try and produce rough estimate specs, once Pre-Alpha/Alpha/Beta all hit, we will have a much better understanding of requirements.

The machine Brad was running the client on was a very good example of a mid-range machine before he upgraded, so you won't need a beast gaming PC to play Pantheon and there will be graphics options to raise/lower your settings to suit you and your PC better once we launch.

In saying that, if I can get a decent estimate before Pre-Alpha I will, I will try and find a team member with the least powerful PC and see what their specs are and how the game runs for them lol :)

• 2138 posts
    November 1, 2015 8:59 AM PST

As a side note, and something maybe corporate people may want to casually mention to hardware makers, is that it was the expansions in the game that motivated me to upgrade my PC where otherwise, I would not.

• 39 posts
    November 1, 2015 10:30 AM PST

I tend to replace my gaming PC in 5 year cycles...I'm very happy that the devs are designing the game with scaleable graphics.  I just wanted to know if the game is intended to run on Dx12 or Dx9/11 like most current games so I could make an intelligent choice when picking an OS.  I think im going to go with Windows 10 based on responses.

Thanks for the Input.

-Baulkin

• 5 posts
    November 2, 2015 2:33 PM PST

Brad has already stated that one of the things he learned from Vanguard was not to push the hardware and technology too much.

I beleive he is currently using a GTX 960 and a mid range i5 CPU. He intends for the game to run well on that level of hardware. I don't beleive he intends to upgrade before the game ships, so if he isn't happy with the performance on that system, you should expect stuff to get tweaked down to a level until he is happy.

This post was edited by Trinsic at November 2, 2015 2:34 PM PST
    • 671 posts
    November 2, 2015 6:44 PM PST

Trinsic said:

Brad has already stated that one of the things he learned from Vanguard was not to push the hardware and technology too much.

I beleive he is currently using a GTX 960 and a mid range i5 CPU. He intends for the game to run well on that level of hardware. I don't beleive he intends to upgrade before the game ships, so if he isn't happy with the performance on that system, you should expect stuff to get tweaked down to a level until he is happy.

Goes back to what I said earlier.

Not so much what hardware you have, but what OS and support 2017+ APi's, etc. (IE:DX12) How much graphic power you need, is soley based on how much screen space you are using. 4k rigs are going to need more power than 1440 or 1080. I do not see an issue with Pantheon following the latest tech. Playability of slower graphical systems will not be hindered, if the Player adjust the options/sliders to aid in  such cards particluar downfalls, etc.

Unless you have an extremely outdated system, Pantheon should not be an issue..!

• 3016 posts
    November 3, 2015 1:19 PM PST

Just bought a new fully loaded tower..my win xp puter was too old (8 years) to warrant changing motherboard etc.   Currently upgrading new second desktop with win ten,  I guess I should give the stats out...AMD A10 6800K APU,  Radeon HD Graphics, 16.00 GB ram,  Win 8.1 (currently installing Win 10,  same as other machine.)  and GE Force GTX750.   Pretty much ready for anything,  other machine was built in 2011 and is an i7. :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at November 3, 2015 1:21 PM PST
    • 26 posts
    November 22, 2015 11:51 PM PST

Not sure how Pantheon will play out, but most graphics reviews show no significant scaling with CPU for the last fews generations of intel processors. So if you have an i5 or better from the last few years (unfortunately AMD is still way behind) and say 16g ram (not that you need 16g, but you normally need more than 8g), then really the only advances are in new graphics cards. There are some faster SSD's now, but I doubt you notice the difference.

What will be interesting to see is if Multi GPU has any tanglible benefits, most MMO's while gaining some general play frame rate, are usually worse of in raids as min frame rate is usually worse than a single card due to overheads.

• 671 posts
    November 25, 2015 5:54 PM PST

Unity 5 = Pantheon

Unity 5 intends to support DX12. Therefore, so will Pantheon.

Buy or build an $800 DX 12 machine before Pantheon releases in 2017. Or just migrate to Win10 if you have a newer computer (ie 3years)

BTW.. I plan on playing Pantheon @ 4k.

• 70 posts
    November 27, 2015 5:52 PM PST

I have at present a 7 year old system. i7  760 Nvidia 20G ram Win10 home. Dx10

Of all the different games I play, Landmark is the biggest drain on my system right now. It runs at 60 fps/70 ping, no lag or surges. 

Looks like, at this time, I'm good to go for Pantheon.

Maybe, in 2 years I will have a new system. 

• 671 posts
    November 27, 2015 7:15 PM PST

To play yes. But not to enjoy and use the engine to it's fullest.

Like you, most will just need Win10 and a circa 2017 Video card to be DX12 compliant.

• 1434 posts
    November 27, 2015 9:36 PM PST

I kind of doubt Pantheon is going to be focusing heavily on utilizing DX12. Graphically, DX12 hasn't announced any real innovations. DX12 is really more about performance and multithreading, and going forward with the assumption that the average player will have both compliant hardware and software to make use of it could result in a Vanguard scenario all over again. In other words, optimizing Pantheon using current or even next gen GPU performance with DX12 as a baseline could alienate players with a PC built even as late as 2016 (the best nvidia cards are not optimized for DX12). That would be a catastrophe.

Thats not to say those of us with newer hardware won't see innate performance gains in Unity5 games, I just don't think it will be (or should be) that important to Pantheon.

This post was edited by Dullahan at November 27, 2015 10:11 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 28, 2015 12:52 AM PST

Graysilk said:

I have at present a 7 year old system. i7  760 Nvidia 20G ram Win10 home. Dx10

Of all the different games I play, Landmark is the biggest drain on my system right now. It runs at 60 fps/70 ping, no lag or surges. 

Looks like, at this time, I'm good to go for Pantheon.

Maybe, in 2 years I will have a new system. 

I have an i7 3970X 6 core extreme @ 4.2 with an Nvidia GTX 690, 32 GB RAM and can max out Pantheon easily (it's roughly 5 years old), any decent gaming PC within the past 5-7 years should be able to run Pantheon without too many issues on max settings or if not, get very close.

DX 12 will be an option, but we will most likely have other DX options too, like 9 and 10, nothing concrete on that yet, though.

We will most likely also support several of the latest windows builds, plus Linux and Mac, so I  do not see a problem with your build at all but upgrades are always fun anyway, so if you want to use Pantheon as an excuse to build a new PC, don't let me stop you, my friend :)

• 781 posts
    November 28, 2015 1:39 AM PST

I am running windows 10 Home 64 bit as well.  I am currently running AMD FX 8320 Eight Core Processor 3.50 Ghz  16.0 Gb Ram Geforce GTX 960.

This post was edited by Kelem at November 28, 2015 1:42 AM PST