Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

EQ No Bot TLP server

• 511 posts
    October 2, 2015 1:33 PM PDT

Anyone else planning on playing on this no bot server when it releases later this year? If so I would love to group up or guild up with anyone planning on it!

Details are still a bit sketchy but we know for sure there will be a system in place to where botting will be illegal (family members playing in same house will get special privs, no clue how that will work).

Holly said it would most likely be heavily instanced from the get go including raids. While this does change the feel of classic EQ to a re launch but i think this will help more people re live the classic era as close as possible (able to plan and schedule Naggy, Vox, hate, Fear raids etc).

Holly has said they will play closer attention to customer petitions and general CSR on all TLP servers and paying customers so hopefully douche bags won't get away with what they have on other TLP servers.

Anywho, if you are going to let me know!

• 12 posts
    October 2, 2015 3:18 PM PDT

I am ! i will be playing a cleric ! can't wait !

• 511 posts
    October 2, 2015 3:24 PM PDT
    Zephyroth said:

I am ! i will be playing a cleric ! can't wait !

I thought about going cleric, decided to go back to my old school monk though i think.

• 318 posts
    October 2, 2015 4:55 PM PDT

@Dreconic, Thank you for sharing this news. I didn't know they were going to do this. That's awesome. Bots were one of the main reasons that I stopped playing. It felt like if you weren't atleast playing 2 characters you were at a big disadvantage.

It sounds like Holly and the EQ team are really listening to the community. Two thumbs up!

• 511 posts
    October 2, 2015 6:25 PM PDT

Yes Wellspring it really does look that way. While I was not a fan of the 6 mage 1 bot groups, I would not be opposed to them allowing 2 accounts per person but this works also. Hated having a box group of mages just /pickzone change their system clock, and then /pickzone again and still our mob!

• 308 posts
    October 2, 2015 6:46 PM PDT

They were talking about limiting 1 active account per PC so it won't kill families playing together if they took the 1 account per IP route.  The no botting part will be interesting to pull off since it's going to rely on the MQ people to live up to whatever arrangement they came to with DBG, it's not going to stop advanced users..  It's going to limit boxxing multiple accounts on one PC for the average player (not advanced users) but won't stop people boxxing the old fashioned way: mulitple PCs, and it won't prevent them from using isboxer since you can use isboxer to control accounts running on mulitple machines on your network.

• 511 posts
    October 2, 2015 6:56 PM PDT

It should severally limit it though, and because botting itself will be illegal on the server getting reported for it can get you suspended/banned.

• 308 posts
    October 2, 2015 8:01 PM PDT

Botting has always been illegal, they just lumped it in with isboxer (can't use it unattended) so they wouldn't have to police Ragefire and Lockjaw with the resources they don't have.

• 511 posts
    October 2, 2015 8:50 PM PDT

Sorry I should have said since Boxing will be illegal, you are correct there is a difference between boxing and botting. And while they may not be actively policing the server Holly did say they would be more proactive in responded to complaints of boxxers on this server

• 578 posts
    October 2, 2015 10:08 PM PDT

I would consider this, but the mention of 'instances' sort of puts me off. Will waid and see though. Would love to be a bard again.

• 179 posts
    October 3, 2015 12:44 AM PDT

The instances are mostly for smaller zones like Crushbone so you don't get 50+ players in one zone were every spawn point is basically camped and nobody is getting anything accomplished. The instances only happend after their are so many players in a zone. Once that number happens another zone opens up.

• 308 posts
    October 3, 2015 5:35 AM PDT
    Dreconic said:

Sorry I should have said since Boxing will be illegal, you are correct there is a difference between boxing and botting. And while they may not be actively policing the server Holly did say they would be more proactive in responded to complaints of boxxers on this server

Boxxing will not be illegal, the use of Isboxer to facilitate boxxing via keystroke broadcasting be illegal via the 1 account per PC rule.  You will be able to legally box the old fashioned way: using multiple PCs according to Holly and if you have multiple PCs, you will still be able to isboxer because it can function the same way across multiple PCs.  Part of the problem is Holly doesn't seem to understand how to use the terms botting/boxxing properly.  She initially makes comments about no botting/boxxing server then also says that old fashioned boxxing is fine (use of mulitple PCs).  It won't stop people 2 or 3 boxxing but it should stop the ridiculous mage armies.

This post was edited by Reht at October 3, 2015 5:52 AM PDT
    • 511 posts
    October 3, 2015 8:01 AM PDT
    Anasyn said:

The instances are mostly for smaller zones like Crushbone so you don't get 50+ players in one zone were every spawn point is basically camped and nobody is getting anything accomplished. The instances only happend after their are so many players in a zone. Once that number happens another zone opens up.

They said everything would be instanced on this server. All raids will be etc. Guilds will be able to raid on there own time line with their own lock outs. I suspect this is the main reason we are waiting and not the boxxing/botting issue. Every raid in theory will be able to go to an NPC, or something, and make their own instance of Naggy. Then if you kill naggy you get a lock out of 3-4 days.

I hope they keep the beefed up version of the early dragons in game so that people will actually want to raid it with 30+ people, otherwise people will form 2 groups and go in, and have 3-4 raid groups running it at the same time to maximize loot.

• 511 posts
    October 3, 2015 8:06 AM PDT
    Reht said:
     It won't stop people 2 or 3 boxxing but it should stop the ridiculous mage armies.

That alone would make me happy. It wasn't the people 2 or even three boxing that was the problem. Most of the people doing this (me included as I boxed 2) would form groups, drop the extra box if needed (specially for a friend or guildmate) and were not toxic to the server. The toxicity on ragefire at least came from the people boxing 6 people, not caring about anyones claim to a camp and where instance hoping to kill stuff before a group had a chance.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind 6 boxxing if that one person 6 boxxing did so at a strong enough downside that a group was still better then them. But, we shall wait and see. I told people ragefire was the last go for me but I will give this new server a try mainly because there is not much else to play right now. Now if PRF decided to release Alpha anytime between now and some time after the server opened I would have no qualms about switching :D

• 308 posts
    October 3, 2015 8:21 AM PDT
    Dreconic said:
    Reht said:
     It won't stop people 2 or 3 boxxing but it should stop the ridiculous mage armies.

That alone would make me happy. It wasn't the people 2 or even three boxing that was the problem. Most of the people doing this (me included as I boxed 2) would form groups, drop the extra box if needed (specially for a friend or guildmate) and were not toxic to the server. The toxicity on ragefire at least came from the people boxing 6 people, not caring about anyones claim to a camp and where instance hoping to kill stuff before a group had a chance.

Heck, I wouldn't even mind 6 boxxing if that one person 6 boxxing did so at a strong enough downside that a group was still better then them. But, we shall wait and see. I told people ragefire was the last go for me but I will give this new server a try mainly because there is not much else to play right now. Now if PRF decided to release Alpha anytime between now and some time after the server opened I would have no qualms about switching :D

Well, let's be fair, the toxicity came from DBG releasing a "wild west" server that condoned actions that were against the rules and semi regularly enforced for the previous 17 years - the DPS race removing kill stealing from the PNP.  Human nature just followed its natural course.  But i do agree, just getting rid of the mage armies will seriously help, but i hope they reassess the PNP (i know this is a pipe dream with the amount of cs support they still have).  I don't have high hopes for this server though, aside from the raid instancing unless they remove the dps race rule, it's still going to encourage bad behavior, it will just be live players doing it.

• 511 posts
    October 3, 2015 8:47 AM PDT

You won't have to worry about people being douches though. If you want to go to say Lower guk, where a lot of the problems where early on, you can take your group there, start a new instance that only your group can go in, and camp/clear whatever you want.

While I agree this does take away from the classic EQ feel, I really don't mind. I want to be able to enjoy the content of the early game again. Only reason this behaviour wasn't a problem back then was in part due to people being nicer IMHO but also lower populations. You didn't have 5k people trying to fit into 3 lvl 40+ zones (Perma, LGuk and Sol B) or Hate/Fear when that time came.

• 308 posts
    October 3, 2015 9:26 AM PDT
    Dreconic said:

You won't have to worry about people being douches though. If you want to go to say Lower guk, where a lot of the problems where early on, you can take your group there, start a new instance that only your group can go in, and camp/clear whatever you want.

While I agree this does take away from the classic EQ feel, I really don't mind. I want to be able to enjoy the content of the early game again. Only reason this behaviour wasn't a problem back then was in part due to people being nicer IMHO but also lower populations. You didn't have 5k people trying to fit into 3 lvl 40+ zones (Perma, LGuk and Sol B) or Hate/Fear when that time came.

Yeah, load balancing was a huge boon to the servers, just flip to an instance without the dbags.  

• 79 posts
    October 3, 2015 10:55 AM PDT

If it's gonna be like the last TLP servers that came out then I won't be playing. Revamped zones, non classic items and mobs, instancing,maps etc. Not much about it is really Classic EQ sadly.

• 511 posts
    October 3, 2015 11:58 AM PDT
    Happytrees said:

Not much about it is really Classic EQ sadly.

Doesn't mean it wont be fun!

• 308 posts
    October 3, 2015 8:35 PM PDT
    Happytrees said:

If it's gonna be like the last TLP servers that came out then I won't be playing. Revamped zones, non classic items and mobs, instancing,maps etc. Not much about it is really Classic EQ sadly.

It was never supposed to be billed as classic, it's always been time lapsed progression like the last set of servers (Fippy and Vulak) but they really screwed up when they sent out the emails to everyone saying play the game like it's 1999, it muddied the waters and gave too many people the impression that it was supposed to be classic.  

• 511 posts
    October 4, 2015 8:52 AM PDT
    Reht said:
    Happytrees said:

It was never supposed to be billed as classic, it's always been time lapsed progression like the last set of servers (Fippy and Vulak) but they really screwed up when they sent out the emails to everyone saying play the game like it's 1999, it muddied the waters and gave too many people the impression that it was supposed to be classic.  

Exactly, It is not Classic, in fact it is better if you just look at it as a "new" EQ more then anything. Then you wont be so dissapointed :D

• 36 posts
    October 4, 2015 10:41 PM PDT

Game is way too dated to be fun to play anymore..... EQ2 TLP is much more fun at this point, Desert of Flame is coming on next Thurs. 

• 511 posts
    October 5, 2015 8:33 AM PDT
    Strykr619 said:

Game is way too dated to be fun to play anymore..... EQ2 TLP is much more fun at this point, Desert of Flame is coming on next Thurs. 

EQ2 is to much of a single players MMO. Even with a lanuch of new server people didn't group up that much. And my own guild told me to not worry about doing instances and that if i really wanted to see them to just go back and do them at 50.... 

Yeah that turned me off of eq2 pretty quickly

• October 6, 2015 12:51 PM PDT

I would be interested as the original TLP pantheon guild never got off the ground :)  I play on ragefire now, but would start over for this group.

• 511 posts
    October 6, 2015 3:50 PM PDT
    BloodbeardBattlecaster said:

I would be interested as the original TLP pantheon guild never got off the ground :)  I play on ragefire now, but would start over for this group.

I wouldn't mind joining a Pantheon group, assuming we had enough to actually raid and get stuff done.