Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Windows 10

• 9115 posts
    July 31, 2015 10:03 PM PDT

After patiently waiting for the first few days to pass while I watched and waited to see what issues there would be, I am finally taking the plunge and installing Windows 10, I am backed up and ready to go, wish me luck!

Have any of you upgraded yet? Any issues, anything you like so far?

I am upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at August 6, 2015 7:04 AM PDT
    • 378 posts
    August 1, 2015 12:12 AM PDT

65% atm

Got an error, I'll try again in a few days

This post was edited by Zandil at August 1, 2015 5:17 AM PDT
    • 132 posts
    August 1, 2015 4:17 AM PDT

Im gonna wait a month for the first patches.

• 9115 posts
    August 1, 2015 5:20 AM PDT

I am now fully upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and I have to say, it looks pretty cool, runs really well and I only had a few minor problems, a couple were my own fault but all were easily fixed. Edge is faster than Chrome and less than half of a resource hog than Chrome...once a few more tweaks have been made and they allow addons, I will most likely make the switch.

I haven't tested it extensively yet, but so far so good :)

• 384 posts
    August 1, 2015 5:59 AM PDT
    Keep us informed as to how it goes. I would be upgrading from the same previous OS as you so I'd love to hear what you think. Gonna give them a little time to push out a couple of updates before switching.
    • 120 posts
    August 1, 2015 7:40 AM PDT

Upgraded mine on tbe 29th, so far I haven't had any issues. I like to use EQ as my benchmark for new OSs, it's such a resource hog, I can usually get an idea of how efficient they're going to be real quick.

On a side note, I am playing safe and holding off on upgrading the wife's pc.. she reaaalllllly dont do change well when it comes to her pc.

Edie: I guess I could give my early impressions so far.....

I like having my "Start" menu back, Performance seems to be unchanged from what I had with 8.1, maybe a little quicker but not by much. One thing that I found that is bit annoying, it won't let me Alt-Tab to desktop from full screen EQ unless I have another window already open. Not a real big deal for me since I have 2 laptops on my desk. Also, It does not like me using Firefox as my default browser. It asks me every time i open it and pops up the "Default Programs" window. You apparently have to manually change the setting instead of it being automatic like before.

This post was edited by Castwell at August 1, 2015 12:00 PM PDT
    • 89 posts
    August 1, 2015 8:51 AM PDT

I am currently waiting for the download to be ready. I have the same current OS as you did Kilsin. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit so I will be very interested to see how it works for you. Did you have any issue with games or programs that were already installed?

• 154 posts
    August 1, 2015 10:59 AM PDT

I am interested to hear how this goes for everyone. I have two laptops right now and my non-primary one I am going to update when I get back from a conference next week. I will be interesting to see what happens with that one because it had a terrible time updating from 8 to 8.1 with many many driver issues so if I can get it to navigate the upgrade to 10 I will be impressed and willing to upgrade to 10 on my primary one as well.

• 44 posts
    August 1, 2015 4:40 PM PDT

I upgraded on day one - figured just jump right in.  I've had no issues really and everything seems to running just fine.  I've almost made the full transition from Chrome to Edge.  Hopefully they will allow customization of the start menu (or at least if you can may I will figure out how).  The only issue I ran in to was dual monitors.  After the install I could only get one display to work.  I restarted again and it work just fine.  

• 261 posts
    August 1, 2015 5:15 PM PDT

I have been running the beta on a spare laptop with no issues. Downloaded the ISO's and upgraded 2 other laptops so far no real issues. One I had to have 2 goes at it as first one didn't take but rolled back fine. It was either one of the updates that were also wanting to run or the virus checked which I disabled the 2nd time.

It runs fine, I am still using windows 8.1. Will upgrade to W10 when I upgrade the machine also with a new install on w8.1 to make sure things are nice and clean.

• 3 posts
    August 1, 2015 5:56 PM PDT

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro two days ago and find it very easy to adjust to from Windows 7. I am using Windows Mobile on my phone though so that may have helped bridge a bit and I'm patiently waiting for them to push Windows 10 to my phone.

In relation to the comment on FF, that was a bit annoying for it to continue to ask, but was fortunately an easy switch. If you need assistance with setting the default, send me a PM! :)

• 9115 posts
    August 1, 2015 6:33 PM PDT
    Zaketh said:

I am currently waiting for the download to be ready. I have the same current OS as you did Kilsin. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit so I will be very interested to see how it works for you. Did you have any issue with games or programs that were already installed?

My download still hadn't arrived even though I pre-reserved it, so I just downloaded it myself from the Microsoft website, they even say, if you just can't wait...download it here lol

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just make sure you get the x64 version and follow the prompts when you're ready :)

I haven't played many games yet, but I plan on testing that today with a few, I will post back if I get any issues.

• 9115 posts
    August 1, 2015 6:36 PM PDT
    cram9030 said:

I am interested to hear how this goes for everyone. I have two laptops right now and my non-primary one I am going to update when I get back from a conference next week. I will be interesting to see what happens with that one because it had a terrible time updating from 8 to 8.1 with many many driver issues so if I can get it to navigate the upgrade to 10 I will be impressed and willing to upgrade to 10 on my primary one as well.

A ton of drivers are compatible with all the win 8.1 drivers so it made fixing driver compatibility issues pretty easy, a good example of this was my Alienware Command Centre, after turning my PC on today my fans went nuts and all maxed out at 100% with no end in sight, it took a clean uninstall of the Command Centre, reboot, then fresh install of windows 8.1 compatible Command Centre drivers with another reboot to fix it but works fine now.

A lot fo the Windows 10 OS came with preloaded 8.1/10 compatible drivers for Win 7/8/8.1 which was a smart move by MS.

• 9115 posts
    August 1, 2015 6:50 PM PDT
    Brunt said:

I upgraded on day one - figured just jump right in.  I've had no issues really and everything seems to running just fine.  I've almost made the full transition from Chrome to Edge.  Hopefully they will allow customization of the start menu (or at least if you can may I will figure out how).  The only issue I ran in to was dual monitors.  After the install I could only get one display to work.  I restarted again and it work just fine.  

Edge is awesome and last night I found the "import favorites from other browsers" link and let out a manly squeal :)

For anyone who is interested in importing Chrome or FF favorites over, go to:

Click the top right corner 3 dots (just under X to close window), click settings at the bottom, then turn "show favorites bar" ON and just under that button is the "Import favorites from another browser", click that and check the box that applies to you, then click import.

It is a little buggy and wouldn't let me line up my Chrome bar in the same order that I had it in Chrome, it took a little bit to figure out how to order them since you can't actually move them on the favorites bar but I did find a kind of fix.

Once you have imported your favorites over go to:

Click the 3 dashes (hub), click favorites, then favorites bar and how you order that column is how it will appear on the bar, top being far left but this is where I ran into a bug that would only recognise half of my bar then added random links from my favorites list, so once that gets sorted it will be awesome.

For Dual Monitors, I have used a program called "DisplayFusionPro" for quite a while now and I initially left it off my Windows 10 to test the dual window features but it just wasn;t good enough yet, so I put it back on and have no problems at all, it also helps easily switch windows from one monitor to the other with a click of a button located on the top of the window itself, it also controls desktop icons, startup images, background windows etc. I would recommend it to anyone with 2 or more monitors.

You can get DisplayFusion Pro on Steam or via their website: 

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/227260/ (currently 50% off right now and down to $14.99 USD from $29.99 USD)

DisplayFusion site: https://www.displayfusion.com/

I
    hope that helps a few of you anyway.

• 23 posts
    August 1, 2015 7:43 PM PDT

I initially made the switch via upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  After completion, I was unable to open Edge, settings or even use the search bar.  After some digging I was able to find how to fix that issue.  The following day after documenting the new Windows 10 key, I did a fresh install.  Currently the only issue is that Pin to Start sometimes will not appear to work until a restart is performed.  I suppose I get to have all the fun.

Edge does not recognize by bookmarks, but that could be because I use Cyberfox for my browser.  Overall, the experience hasn't been that bad, but there's always tomorrow.

• 89 posts
    August 1, 2015 8:57 PM PDT
    Kilsin said:
    Zaketh said:

My download still hadn't arrived even though I pre-reserved it, so I just downloaded it myself from the Microsoft website, they even say, if you just can't wait...download it here lol

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just make sure you get the x64 version and follow the prompts when you're ready :)

I haven't played many games yet, but I plan on testing that today with a few, I will post back if I get any issues.

I am upgrading now so will see how it goes. Only one game I am currently using on this PC so if it goes badly no big deal.

Thanks for the info.

This post was edited by Zaketh at August 1, 2015 10:37 PM PDT
    • 89 posts
    August 2, 2015 7:52 PM PDT

I completed the upgrade to windows 10 last night and it went off without a hitch. Even The Witcher 3 plays with no problems. It kept all my apps and files no problems.

• 9115 posts
    August 2, 2015 10:15 PM PDT
    Zaketh said:

I completed the upgrade to windows 10 last night and it went off without a hitch. Even The Witcher 3 plays with no problems. It kept all my apps and files no problems.

That was one of the first games I tested! lol

Patch 1.07 broke a few of my mods but everything on Windows 10 side was flawless, the only issues I have run into so far is switching between my two monitors while a game is running in Steam, sometimes I can;t click on the game window to enter back into it, I have to close whatever I am looking at on the second monitor for it to auto engage the game screen again but it's no big deal :)

• 43 posts
    August 3, 2015 6:35 AM PDT

I'm waiting. I just don't want to run into any issues. lol

You guys just keep posting your experiences and soon enough I'll get it myself. :)

Edit: I am also running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and it's flawless. I'm afraid to change. LOL!

This post was edited by StormCloud at August 3, 2015 7:00 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    August 3, 2015 7:06 AM PDT
    StormCloud said:

I'm waiting. I just don't want to run into any issues. lol

You guys just keep posting your experiences and soon enough I'll get it myself. :)

Edit: I am also running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and it's flawless. I'm afraid to change. LOL!

I was pretty hesitant myself but after reading so much, checking guides and videos daily I talked myself into it. As long as you make a backup of your current Win 7 Ultimate you can roll straight back if you run into any bad experiences but so far, I have had nothing major at all and am really enjoying the new fresh-looking UI.

I will list a few good tweak guides for those that are interested, they help you turn a fews things on/off and give general advice.

A few links to save if you have upgraded or are looking to upgrade:

http://www.tenforums.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f48kd/windows_10_tips_and_tricks/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3flyhm/windows_10_the_final_megathread/

Those links helped me a lot and will hopefully help anyone else interested :)

• 409 posts
    August 3, 2015 10:51 AM PDT

New PC next summer, means Win 10 should be decently patched and ready for a clean build. You brave folks who pay to beta test Micro$oft's stuff...may Innoruuk bless you, cuz you're far braver than I.

• 9115 posts
    August 3, 2015 3:30 PM PDT
    Venjenz said:

New PC next summer, means Win 10 should be decently patched and ready for a clean build. You brave folks who pay to beta test Micro$oft's stuff...may Innoruuk bless you, cuz you're far braver than I.

Pay? it's free man with 100% rollback if anything goes wrong, I will always have my Win 7 ultimate to go back to via rollback or fresh disc install anytime I want but so far, I'm having fun and not suffering from any problems :)

• 89 posts
    August 3, 2015 4:14 PM PDT

Same here no problems and I expected some but it has been a pleasant surprise so far. I am a fan of server 2012 and this is kind of a mix of that and Windows 7 with some new stuff added in.

• 23 posts
    August 3, 2015 5:09 PM PDT

Part Two : TDR is kicking my butt.  I've dealt with Nvidia drivers and TDR issues with 7 over the years.  It's still an issue.

• 9115 posts
    August 3, 2015 5:19 PM PDT
    Yvyll said:

Part Two : TDR is kicking my butt.  I've dealt with Nvidia drivers and TDR issues with 7 over the years.  It's still an issue.

Hmm, that is not good at all :(

I had TDR issues several years ago or so I thought until I upgraded my BIOS and replaced my Motherboard and GPU (Nvidia GTX 690), since that day, I have never had a TDR issue again through Win 7 and now early stages of win 10.

I hope you are able to sort it out Yvyll.