Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Windows 10

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    August 3, 2015 5:46 PM PDT

Upgraded to Windows 10. So far so good. I like it. I especially like that everything runs. My devices are ok, my apps are ok, Unity runs fine, Pantheon runs fine, Visual Studio runs fine, MS SQL runs fine... took me less than 30 minutes to tweak things and get everything back to what I'm used to.

• 9115 posts
    August 3, 2015 6:00 PM PDT
    Aradune said:

Upgraded to Windows 10. So far so good. I like it. I especially like that everything runs. My devices are ok, my apps are ok, Unity runs fine, Pantheon runs fine, Visual Studio runs fine, MS SQL runs fine... took me less than 30 minutes to tweak things and get everything back to what I'm used to.

I'm having a similar experience Brad, so far everything looks good and runs well, couldn't be happier and it's a really nice refreshing look upgrading from Win 7, since I never experience win 8/8.1 :)

• 453 posts
    August 3, 2015 10:35 PM PDT

I'm still being patient and waiting for it to be ready for my PC. It has been saying ready any day now for what seems like forever :( Looking forward to trying it out.

• 33 posts
    August 4, 2015 4:10 PM PDT

I am waiting patiently for my upgrade to come through. It has taken me a lot of years, but I've finally learned that things tend to break when I force them. 

• 33 posts
    August 4, 2015 4:13 PM PDT
    Aradune said:

30 minutes to normalcy is a pretty stellar achievement. I am hopeful my experience is similar, sounds like most folks are having a pretty easy time with their upgrades as well.  

• 753 posts
    August 5, 2015 12:12 PM PDT

I have it installed on 3 laptops and 2 tablets.

I'm having exactly zero issues on any of them.

• 453 posts
    August 6, 2015 6:30 AM PDT

Yesterday my Windows 10 download was finally ready to go. Yay, finally!  After numerous updates and restarts on the final update I see across my screen "Attempting to recover update" and then "Reverting to your previous version of Windows" . I was like NOOOOO WHYYYY !?!?!  After that just for the heck of it I uninstalled my antivirus and unplugged all my devices such as the webcam, etc. Then I tried again. Here goes nothing .... and it worked :) In just a few minutes I had everything how I wanted it and had Cortana up and going and singing me songs. Unlike Windows 8 this version seems to be a winner right out of the box. So far so good :)

• 3016 posts
    August 8, 2015 1:26 PM PDT

Finally got my turn at upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7,  so far so good, only had to download a more recent version of driver for my video card (I've been bad let that lapse ..usually I don't lol)   Going to take a bit to get used to how things have been rearranged,  had a few applications land down on the toolbar, and I am fussy about that..so will take all that "junk" off hehe  Glad its here, finally. :)

Cana

• 3016 posts
    August 8, 2015 1:27 PM PDT
    Jason said:

Yesterday my Windows 10 download was finally ready to go. Yay, finally!  After numerous updates and restarts on the final update I see across my screen "Attempting to recover update" and then "Reverting to your previous version of Windows" . I was like NOOOOO WHYYYY !?!?!  After that just for the heck of it I uninstalled my antivirus and unplugged all my devices such as the webcam, etc. Then I tried again. Here goes nothing .... and it worked :) In just a few minutes I had everything how I wanted it and had Cortana up and going and singing me songs. Unlike Windows 8 this version seems to be a winner right out of the box. So far so good :)

Yup I disabled my virus scanner before implementing the download for Win 10.  

• 132 posts
    August 10, 2015 3:52 AM PDT

After some consideration I probably won't upgrade to win 10. The dealbreaker is all the spying Micrsoft does in win10.

Exampel here: Ignore the stupid photos.

i.imgur.com/9DoVoix.jpg

A keylogger is installed by default...all passwords instantly keylogged..no thanks.

I'll stick to win7 for now in the future (far future) Im going to aim for SteamBox and Linux..

This post was edited by sajbear at August 10, 2015 5:44 PM PDT
    • 43 posts
    August 10, 2015 5:50 PM PDT
    sajbear said:

After some consideration I probably won't upgrade to win 10. The dealbreaker is all the spying Micrsoft does in win10.

i.imgur.com/9DoVoix.jpg

A keylogger is installed by default...all passwords instantly keylogged..no thanks.

I'll stick to win7 for now in the future (far future) Im going to aim for SteamBox and Linux..

I did some digging and I may have found a way to "stop" the keylogger? Not sure if I can post it here. I saved the "solution" to a word document because I am not sure I should reveal the site at all. I'll happily reveal the site address in a PM though if anyone want it? There's lots of other stuff on there as well.

• 9115 posts
    August 10, 2015 6:20 PM PDT
    StormCloud said:
    sajbear said:

i.imgur.com/9DoVoix.jpg

I did some digging and I may have found a way to "stop" the keylogger? Not sure if I can post it here. I saved the "solution" to a word document because I am not sure I should reveal the site at all. I'll happily reveal the site address in a PM though if anyone want it? There's lots of other stuff on there as well.

Send me a PM mate and I will be able to tell you if you can post it or not, plus I am interested in researching this further, I have stopped a few processes like that already but more information is always welcome!

• 43 posts
    August 10, 2015 6:30 PM PDT
    Kilsin said:
    StormCloud said:
    sajbear said:

i.imgur.com/9DoVoix.jpg

Send me a PM mate and I will be able to tell you if you can post it or not, plus I am interested in researching this further, I have stopped a few processes like that already but more information is always welcome!

Trying to send a PM but it wont let me. Says I need to put something into the name field and I did but it says I didn't, lol.

Use MMORPG pm instead?

• 9115 posts
    August 10, 2015 6:35 PM PDT

We may have needed to be friends first, the site is a bit funny when it comes to sending messages to people who aren't on your friends list. 

• 43 posts
    August 10, 2015 6:39 PM PDT
    Kilsin said:

We may have needed to be friends first, the site is a bit funny when it comes to sending messages to people who aren't on your friends list. 

LOL!

Yep! That worked! :)

• 9115 posts
    August 11, 2015 5:25 PM PDT
    sajbear said:

i.imgur.com/9DoVoix.jpg

Ok, so after researching into this more, I don't believe those posts are accurate at all and are just fueling conspiracy theorists instead of providing actual facts.

I found this post below and read through a lot of the privacy policies myself to make sure they were accurate and they are, a lot of people are posting nonsense when, in fact, Microsoft are not recording much of your information at all unless you allow them too and most of the privacy policies they are posting are in fact for other Windows services like Outlook, Xbox Live etc. not Windows 10 itself.

Here is the Imgur post I am referring too:

http://imgur.com/gallery/oQDnY

Check
    out the privacy policies for yourself if you like mate but from the detailed research I have put in, it looks fine and I have no problem using Windows 10 and this is coming from someone who spent 16 years in the Security and Risk Management Industry at a high level, I am huge on privacy! :)

• 76 posts
    August 12, 2015 12:43 PM PDT

I upgraded to Win 10 Pro as soon as it was available to me. Video card driver, keyboard and mouse firmware had to be updated. Ever since I gave my music library to Google Music I don't really care if I have to do the old format C: command.

Battlefield 4 works. That's all I cared about. LOL

• 39 posts
    August 12, 2015 7:40 PM PDT

I've been in technology since Windows 3.11 and I have to say that this is the best new OS I've ever seen from Microsoft.  It's extremely stable and snappy.  I've reverted from Chrome to Edge, and I don't see myself using Linux anymore for anything.  Here's why:

The GOOD:
    - Developers dream: Try this.. CTRL+WIN+D creates a second desktop for you.  CTRL+WIN+Arrows moves between all your desktops.  Now try WIN+TAB to switch between apps and desktops.  I like to have a desktop up for each segment of work that I do.  One with VisualStudio, one with scripts and SQL, one with Notepads, one with Officeapps like outlook and Excel.  One with music and reddit.  Groooovy!

- Expanded powershell..  yum

- CMD is more customizable

- Do WIN+X (I know.. not totally new.. but it is better)

- Xbox streaming: You can stream games from your Xbox.. I did it from my surfacePro3 and saw not one millisecond of lag (not that I could see a millionth of a second.. but hey)

- Groove (formerly xbox music) is really great and economical. I've found more valuable music with a little time in Groove than I did in all my long hours with Pandora. Great stuff!

- Last but not least CORTANA!  I got a windows phone just so I could use this personal assistant, now the wonderful bch is on my desktop.  I'm so happy.  Turn on 'Hey Cortana' and you don't even have to click anything to talk to her.  Ask her 'what can I say' to see everything she can do.  Microsoft's use of Business Intelligence and AI research in making Cortana a true personal assistant is really amazing.  Don't just look shallowly into this feature or you'll be missing out!

The BAD:
    Big deal breaker for me which almost outweighs all the great features; OneDrive placeholder files are gone.  With Win8.1 you could choose an option to 'Make Available Online Only'.  This smartfile feature would put a placeholder on your drive and store the actual file in the cloud.  The result was that you could browse files in the cloud like they were on your drive, and you could save files straight to the cloud as if it were on your drive without taking space on your drive.  I had OneDrive set up on all my desktops, servers, Surface pads, phone, etc and so MyDocuments (and other libraries) were always exactly the same on all devices.  When I installed Win10 on my SurfacePro3 smartfiles were gone, so it tried to sync 800gb of data down to my 256g SSD.  Not good.  Until Microsoft brings back smartfiles, OneDrive is useless to me (and Aradune help me, that's where I keep everything).

This post was edited by Jitai at August 13, 2015 5:38 AM PDT
    • 453 posts
    August 13, 2015 2:36 AM PDT

I am curious if Windows 10 will help Microsoft's lagging phone industry. I almost tried a Windows phone out once due to a crazy awesome deal, but their app store was still in *really* bad shape. I wonder if it has gotten any better.

• 9115 posts
    August 13, 2015 3:13 AM PDT
    Jason said:

I am curious if Windows 10 will help Microsoft's lagging phone industry. I almost tried a Windows phone out once due to a crazy awesome deal, but their app store was still in *really* bad shape. I wonder if it has gotten any better.

I can see big improvements in the Windows store, it hasn't caught up to Android or iOS yet, but it is getting there. The most annoying thing is most of the Apps in the Windows store are for phones and tablets, there isn;t a great range for PC yet lol

• 39 posts
    August 13, 2015 1:17 PM PDT
    Jason said:

I use a Nokia1520 windows phone and it's superb. The great thing about Win10 is that the OS and all apps on it are the same on any device.  For instance; if you're using Outlook on your computer and on your phone, they're the same exact application footprint.  Win10 just reformats for the device and screensize.  I can connect my 1520 to a monitor and keyboard and use PC level Outlook.  It's insane.  All of my docs/music/pics are all exact on every device too.  I make meeting or dev notes in OneNote, and I can watch the changes happen on my Surface and Winphone screens.  I would consider myself the highest level of power user and I'm not lacking any apps at all except maybe Nook Books.. which it's odd that it's not available on winphone since BN and MS have a big agreement.  I bet it opens up in Win10.