Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Mechanics and Features!

• 158 posts
    July 20, 2015 11:58 PM PDT

I don't know about most important but one feature that stands out to me a lot is interactable environmental elements. Things like having a dungeon that actually changes its layout based on various factors (example of this is a dungeon in ffxi where at certain times the central maze of the dungeon would change) or switches and gate mechanics, or having the weather possibly making certain areas on the map inaccessible or possibly requiring you to take a more dangerous route until the storm has passed, monsters having combat and non-combat behavior at least for some (I could go on and on). I would even say some puzzle / puzzle like mechanics in some dungeons and places. This kind of stuff really brings the world to life for me over a lot of the very cardboard like environments of modern mmorpgs. It seems like all of the WoW model games have very little if any interaction with the environment and the creatures in it besides having patches of stuff for quest fodder.

• 9115 posts
    July 21, 2015 4:19 AM PDT
    Mephiles said:

I don't know about most important but one feature that stands out to me a lot is interactable environmental elements. Things like having a dungeon that actually changes its layout based on various factors (example of this is a dungeon in ffxi where at certain times the central maze of the dungeon would change) or switches and gate mechanics, or having the weather possibly making certain areas on the map inaccessible or possibly requiring you to take a more dangerous route until the storm has passed, monsters having combat and non-combat behavior at least for some (I could go on and on). I would even say some puzzle / puzzle like mechanics in some dungeons and places. This kind of stuff really brings the world to life for me over a lot of the very cardboard like environments of modern mmorpgs. It seems like all of the WoW model games have very little if any interaction with the environment and the creatures in it besides having patches of stuff for quest fodder.

That is a good answer Mephiles, I really like challenges and puzzles in games, especially if they are immersive and within the Lore of the world, race, class, faction etc. Also of course being a Rogue I love traps, so any kind of dungeon traps that I can disarm (or try to with risk of injury or death) would be awesome :)

• 16 posts
    August 8, 2015 9:13 AM PDT

Just a few things that I would love to see (some I am well aware won't be a part of Pantheon):

1. 1st person view only

2. no minimap, perhaps some kind of in game maps and even a cartographer trade skill. 

3. no quest markers (above npc's or on the minimap if it is in the game)

4. very plain weapons and armor throughout the earlier stages of the game with the fancier magical ones coming in slowly as you progress towards end game content.  Much like the way EQ did it back in the day...I hate how weapons and armor are usually upgraded every other level in most mmo's nowadays and how everyone has the same items because they are a reward for a simple trivial quest that everyone completes.

5. No quest log, or window to "accept" a quest.  I think quests should be more of an optional thing that you learn about by talking to an NPC and they tell you about a problem they want solved and then you can venture out and based on their descriptions of an area or a monster you can bring them back something that they wanted, or some proof of killing the monster, or whatever the case may be. 

6. I would hate to see the zones covered in "dynamic events" like FFXIV or Guild Wars 2...those types of events or even GM events are only fun when they are few and far between with significant and unique rewards for participating in them...even if half of it is just getting lucky by being in the right zone at the right time.

As you can see, I really don't like a world that involves maps telling me where to go, with a fairly linear way of progressing through the game...especially when that path is riddled with hundreds of meaningless quests.  (I am aware that they have already stated that quests won't be overly abundant, so I am thrilled about that)

This post was edited by mjcuba at August 8, 2015 5:14 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    August 8, 2015 5:33 PM PDT
    mjcuba said:

Just a few things that I would love to see (some I am well aware won't be a part of Pantheon):

1. 1st person view only

2. no minimap, perhaps some kind of in game maps and even a cartographer trade skill. 

3. no quest markers (above npc's or on the minimap if it is in the game)

4. very plain weapons and armor throughout the earlier stages of the game with the fancier magical ones coming in slowly as you progress towards end game content.  Much like the way EQ did it back in the day...I hate how weapons and armor are usually upgraded every other level in most mmo's nowadays and how everyone has the same items because they are a reward for a simple trivial quest that everyone completes.

5. No quest log, or window to "accept" a quest.  I think quests should be more of an optional thing that you learn about by talking to an NPC and they tell you about a problem they want solved and then you can venture out and based on their descriptions of an area or a monster you can bring them back something that they wanted, or some proof of killing the monster, or whatever the case may be. 

6. I would hate to see the zones covered in "dynamic events" like FFXIV or Guild Wars 2...those types of events or even GM events are only fun when they are few and far between with significant and unique rewards for participating in them...even if half of it is just getting lucky by being in the right zone at the right time.

As you can see, I really don't like a world that involves maps telling me where to go, with a fairly linear way of progressing through the game...especially when that path is riddled with hundreds of meaningless quests.  (I am aware that they have already stated that quests won't be overly abundant, so I am thrilled about that)

We get a lot of mixed opinions on a lot of those options/features like minimap, quest log etc. and if we aren't able to implement all of those things on the main official servers I am sure if there is enough interest in features, mechanics and rulesets like this that we may be able to push it to its own server down the track.