Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

• 366 posts
    February 2, 2015 10:18 AM PST

Today, we are pleased to announce that we have been acquired by Columbus Nova, an investment management firm well known for its success with its existing portfolio of technology, media and entertainment focused companies. This means that effective immediately SOE will operate as an independent game development studio where we will continue to focus on creating exceptional online games for players around the world, and now as a multi-platform gaming company. Yes, that means PlayStation and Xbox, mobile and more!

As part of this transition, SOE will now become Daybreak Game Company. This name embodies who we are as an organization, and is a nod to the passion and dedication of our employees and players. It is also representative of our vision to approach each new day as an opportunity to move gaming forward.

https://forums.station.sony.com/soe/index.php?threads/sony-online-entertainment-becomes-daybreak-game-company.11500068269/#post-11500352904

• 308 posts
    • 43 posts
    February 2, 2015 11:02 AM PST

To be fair, SOE was doing nothing to build on EverQuest's legacy. EQNext, which I affectionately call EQLast, has nothing to do with EverQuest and was just a cheap use of a successful brand name. It would be like me selling a new deodorant called Skittles. I do hope they continue to release expansions for the people who play EQ live servers and respond to the swarm of inquiries for a new TLP server.

This post was edited by Zircon at February 4, 2015 8:44 PM PST
    • 67 posts
    February 2, 2015 11:07 AM PST

I just read the announcement. The way I am understanding it is they are taking control of all SoE things?  Isn't this right?

• 366 posts
    February 2, 2015 11:19 AM PST

Sorry my son twisted his ankle pretty bad I had to rush off and cant really post rt now

• 67 posts
    February 2, 2015 11:20 AM PST

no worries Zarriya.

• 308 posts
    February 2, 2015 11:37 AM PST
    Zircon said:

I do hope they continue to release expansions for the people who play EQ live servers and respond to the swarm of inquiries for a new TLP server.

This will only work if they get some people in charge with some vision who are willing to make some serious changes or invest more in EQ's future.  The last few expansions have been terrible and this last expansion (by far the worst due to them changing their paradigm to force us to play in new content) has run off people at an alarming rate.  My guild, a historically top 10 server-wide raiding guild, lost (retired) around 20-25 players in the last 2 months.  I know a couple of other guilds at our level that are having the same problems.

• 76 posts
    February 2, 2015 11:54 AM PST

My, how the world is changing...

• 132 posts
    February 2, 2015 12:09 PM PST

Mixed emotions. I dont know what to feel about it.. :S

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2015/02/sony-online-entertainment-acquired-by.html

• 308 posts
    February 2, 2015 12:38 PM PST

SOE live on hiatus this year according to Brasse's facebook page.

• 999 posts
    February 2, 2015 12:50 PM PST
    Reht said:

This will only work if they get some people in charge with some vision who are willing to make some serious changes or invest more in EQ's future.  The last few expansions have been terrible and this last expansion (by far the worst due to them changing their paradigm to force us to play in new content) has run off people at an alarming rate.  My guild, a historically top 10 server-wide raiding guild, lost (retired) around 20-25 players in the last 2 months.  I know a couple of other guilds at our level that are having the same problems.

This only reinforces the need for Pantheon to be successful with the turmoil of MMOs in general and especially old-school MMOs.  I quit EQ prior to the release of the latest expansion; however, I left for the same reasons as your guildies did.  Hopefully, what is a negative for SoE (and potentially for EQ), may turn into a positive for Pantheon in that their communities will rally around development here.

Whatever transpires though, it will most definitely be a sad day if I see EQ close its doors.

• 308 posts
    February 2, 2015 12:57 PM PST

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-sales-look-strong-but-sony-expects-to-make-another-loss-next-year/1100-6419620/  yikes a $60 million write off for SOE PC titles........

This post was edited by Reht at February 2, 2015 11:21 PM PST
    • 133 posts
    February 2, 2015 1:49 PM PST

Sony moves a profitable SoE to its console gaming division to then write down 60million in losses, now to selling the company.

Big business big stupidity.  Anyone with half a brain knew you can't put a PC game division in the console Division and expect miracles.  Not many people actually knew Smed went from answering to Sony Board to the Console division a few years ago, it was they who shut down all thoe games along with Vanguard.

This is probably the best thing to happen to SoE Since Brad started Development on Everquest.

Maybe now is the time to buy Vanguard IP?

• 366 posts
    February 2, 2015 1:56 PM PST

It may be a positive change for SOE  we will have to see how it plays out.  They talked about more opportunities b/c of being able to go multi-platform.  Not being a fanboi here, just saying it could go either way.  It certainly was a surprise for me.  I focus mostly on PC games so I really do not care about the other platforms - though I see how the market is expanding there.  Also given how SONY has been a big target lately - Daybreak gets to escape that.

Blizzard canceled Blizzcon in 2012, sometimes these things happen.

PS My son's ankle is quite swollen, When the snow subsides I may have to take him to get x-rays, but I think it is just a bad sprain.

This post was edited by Zarriya at February 2, 2015 11:22 PM PST
    • 148 posts
    February 2, 2015 2:05 PM PST

Just got home from work and read that post , honestly don't know what to say. 

I haven't really played any SoE games for awhile apart from logging into things for a little bit here and there, but I guess we'll see

• 67 posts
    February 2, 2015 2:42 PM PST

The MMO world is about to fall off a cliff.  Nothing is keeping people in anymore. Nothing.  They are jumping from one ship to the next, hoping and praying they will find the one. I am not trying to be a downer, but I don't think Next is happening for quite some time if ever. Big corps are looking for profit period.  They didn't buy out SoE to save games that don't fit their agenda (making money).  It sucks, but this is the way of the world.  And on a side note I would rather see Pantheon start small with a smaller profit/loss margin that can be a lot more manageable then try to create something so big it falls on deaf ears (I hope that makes sense). 

• 44 posts
    February 2, 2015 4:32 PM PST

Personally, I want to see a MMO do very well and make a ton of profit.  The real problem has been the dwindling profit of the MMO genre.  This has a lot to do with so many companies trying to take a piece of the pie.  Personally, I want a solid MMO to make a lot of profit.  That means they've brought a game to the market that people want to play.

Companies have to make profit.  The longer MMOs "get by" the longer we will see the genre slowly go away.  

• 154 posts
    February 2, 2015 9:03 PM PST

Over all I was not a huge fan of some of the things SOE did but they bank rolled a lot of things I played. It will be interesting to see what they do. I can't help but imagine that based off who purchased them they will try for a diversified portfolio of games but what will that mean? I wonder if the Devs see this as a new opportunity for a sponsor or a loss of a potential one?

• 9115 posts
    February 2, 2015 9:27 PM PST
    cram9030 said:

Over all I was not a huge fan of some of the things SOE did but they bank rolled a lot of things I played. It will be interesting to see what they do. I can't help but imagine that based off who purchased them they will try for a diversified portfolio of games but what will that mean? I wonder if the Devs see this as a new opportunity for a sponsor or a loss of a potential one?

These are my thoughts too, I did not agree with a lot of decisions made but they kept two games I loved going until recently closing VG down.

I am strongly against companies like SOE moving into multi platform, as it always ends badly for PC users/gamers as the other platforms can never keep up in terms of graphics, technology, power, innovation, quality etc. which means we always end up with horrible ports and very poor optimisations among other things.

In my opinion, PC companies/games should focus on PC exclusively and other platforms should focus on their specific platforms, it would not only be better for the companies involved but much better for us gamers and our beloved games.

Having one's finger in too many pies...

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at February 3, 2015 3:24 PM PST
    • 154 posts
    February 2, 2015 9:36 PM PST
    Kilsin said:
    cram9030 said:

These are my thoughts too, I did not agree with a lot of decisions made but they kept two games I loved going until recently closing VG down.

I am strongly against companies like SOE moving into multi platform, as it always ends badly for PC users/gamers as the other platforms can never keep up in terms of graphics, technology, power, innovation, quality etc. which means we always end up with horrible ports and very poor optimisations among other things.

In my opinion, PC companies/games should focus on PC exclusively and other platforms should focus on their specific platforms, it would not only be better for the companies involved but much better for us gamers and our beloved games.

Thats why I am wondering if they will look at having a diversified PC portfolio full of safe small but steady games and some big swings at big markets or if they will go full multi-platform. What they view as "blue chippers" will be very telling as to the future of the business IMO.

• 9115 posts
    February 3, 2015 12:47 AM PST
    cram9030 said:
    Kilsin said:
    cram9030 said:

Thats why I am wondering if they will look at having a diversified PC portfolio full of safe small but steady games and some big swings at big markets or if they will go full multi-platform. What they view as "blue chippers" will be very telling as to the future of the business IMO.

They announced that they are going multi platform mate:

"and now as a multi-platform gaming company. Yes, that means PlayStation and Xbox, mobile and more!"

Which is what is worrying as those platforms never work in harmony with the PC platform but either way I am not really surprised to see this happen and without saying anything too negative, I can't say it will effect me much as I stopped dealing with them the day VG was sunsetted and will not deal with them again.

I am just concerned for the industry though, we see this too often and PC should never be mixed with console or mobile platforms unless the game is created on PC for PC and scaled down for other less capable platforms like console or mobile but PC games should never be made to suffer with those platforms in mind unless it is being created directly for those platforms and excluding PC or as I said scaled down after a PC version has been created.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at February 4, 2015 7:13 AM PST
    • 39 posts
    February 3, 2015 4:35 AM PST

Here's what I sent to the Investment Firm that purchased SOE:

Columbus Nova,

I’ve been involved with MMOs as a tester/advisor/consumer since the 90s as a hobby.  Your acquisition of SOE was probably a good move, and I’d look forward to positive short term return.  The market is a good one and SOE has a reputation built on solid products they acquired early.  However, I would like to contribute my opinion, as a consumer, that the SOE culture is skewed toward ‘one hit wonders’ so to speak, within this market.  This is due to the fact that they’re still riding the success of a few initial products and lack the true ‘vision’ to recreate them.

Brad McQuaid and Verant created Everquest(EQ), which brought SOE into the MMO scene.  It’s that game that really rocketed the MMO genre into the sensation it is today.  As an early consumer of this product, I can tell you first hand that Brad’s vision is what made EQ, and EQ is what made SOE.  I see shadows of Brad’s vision in every product on the market to this day.  They attempt(weakly) to capture that early magic within the genre.  I can also tell you as a consumer that when SOE acquired Verant the quality of the product went downhill fast in the eyes of the primary user base.  SOE alienated us to open the market to a new user base for additional revenue; the shoot ‘em up crowd.  It worked, they received a quick injection of revenue, but it diluted the product and made the true user base scatter.  In the end their short term goal overcame the product’s long term potential.

If you would like to capture the essence of SOE’s success, I would suggest looking at Brad McQuaid and Visionary Realms https://www.pantheonrotf.com/ style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: medium;"> .  This is more of a mature product that will have a sustainable user base, and I believe they’re looking for an investor.  You could look forward to a steady revenue stream from myself and everyone I know ‘from the other side of the market’.  That other side is epic and mature fantasy (think Lord of the Rings instead of Zena the Warrior Princess).  Harness Brad’s vision and this is a user base with which you could depend on a sustainable brand loyalty (think Harley Davidson, or Xerox). 

If you’re looking to invest in the quality that made SOE a giant in the market, you won’t find it at SOE, you’ll find it at Visionary Realms in Brad McQuaid.  This is just one humble consumer’s opinion, but  I’m also a Business Intelligence Architect who’s planned and facilitated strategic systems for many fortune500 companies.  Feel free to contact me if you’d like the opinion of an impartial consumer who also has strategic business understanding.  I can talk your ear off about the subject.

Thanks,

This post was edited by Jitai at February 3, 2015 5:41 PM PST
    • 308 posts
    February 3, 2015 5:35 AM PST
    Jitai said:

Columbus Nova,

I’ve been involved with MMOs as a tester/advisor/consumer since the 90s as a hobby.  Your acquisition of SOE was probably a good move, and I’d look forward to positive short term return.  The market is a good one and SOE has a reputation built on solid products they acquired early.  However, I would like to contribute my opinion, as a consumer, that the SOE culture is skewed toward ‘one hit wonders’ so to speak, within this market.  This is due to the fact that they’re still riding the success of a few initial products and lack the true ‘vision’ to recreate them.

Brad McQuaid and Verant created Everquest(EQ), which brought SOE into the MMO scene.  It’s that game that really rocketed the MMO genre into the sensation it is today.  As an early consumer of this product, I can tell you first hand that Brad’s vision is what made EQ, and EQ is what made SOE.  I see shadows of Brad’s vision in every product on the market to this day.  They attempt(weakly) to capture that early magic within the genre.  I can also tell you as a consumer that when SOE acquired Verant the quality of the product went downhill fast in the eyes of the primary user base.  SOE alienated us to open the market to a new user base for additional revenue; the shoot ‘em up crowd.  It worked, they received a quick injection of revenue, but it diluted the product and made the true user base scatter.  In the end their short term goal overcame the product’s long term potential.

If you would like to capture the essence of SOE’s success, I would suggest looking at Brad McQuaid and Visionary Realms https://www.pantheonrotf.com/ style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: medium;"> .  This is more of a mature product that will have a sustainable user base, and I believe they’re looking for an investor.  You could look forward to a steady revenue stream from myself and everyone I know ‘from the other side of the market’.  That other side is epic and mature fantasy (think Lord of the Rings instead of Zena the Warrior Princess).  Harness Brad’s vision and this is a user base with which you could depend on a sustainable brand loyalty (think Harley Davidson, or Xerox). 

If you’re looking to invest in the quality that made SOE a giant in the market, you won’t find it at SOE, you’ll find it at Visionary Realms in Brad McQuaid.  This is just one humble consumer’s opinion, but  I’m also a Business Intelligence Architect who’s planned and facilitated strategic systems for many fortune500 companies.  Feel free to contact me if you’d like the opinion of an impartial consumer who also has strategic business understanding.  I can talk your ear off about the subject.

Thanks,

your letter was well worded. and nicely written. the main problem i see with any iteration of SOE investing into pantheon is the amount of Corperate pinheads that get involved. and the pinheads always look at the short term revenue. the immediate gains. which is why all the big studios are moving to the FTP market.

just to add, if a company like DGC , Blizzard, Bioware or any of these other large studios that have already failed the MMO genre as a whole; on many levels ever became involved with this project i would probably walk away. UNLESS they just Cut brad a blank check and all the decision-making power rested entirely with him that is the only way.

This post was edited by Gawd at February 27, 2015 2:20 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 3, 2015 5:45 AM PST
    Gawd said:
    Jitai said:

Columbus Nova,

Thanks,

your letter was well worded. and nicely written. the main problem i see with any iteration of SOE investing into pantheon is the amount of Corperate pinheads that get involved. and the pinheads always look at the short term revenue. the immediate gains. which is why all the big studios are moving to the FTP market.

I believe Jitai was alerting Columbus Nova to this project with the intention of them investing in Pantheon, not SOE mate ;)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at February 3, 2015 5:47 AM PST
    • 39 posts
    February 3, 2015 6:15 AM PST

Don't be alarmed.  There's a difference between a company like Sony, and an Investment Firm, investing in Pantheon.  Investment Firms generally know (if they're at all successful) that they have no domain knowledge of the product they're investing in.  They'll find a promising product, assess the leadership, then inject copious amounts of cash, then patiently wait for a return on their investment.  They typically understand with a product like this that they're looking at long term return potential, not short term (unlike EA or Sony, milking a game for all it's worth until it's diluted and depleted).  If they assess that the leadership doesn't have enough experience or vision, they'll find the best and brightest and make them an offer they can't refuse.. ensuring a return on their investment.  Pantheon won't have that need.. it already has competent visionaries.. making it a very attractive investment.  I'm sure that Brad McQuaid, better than ANYONE, understands protecting his intellectual property and maintaining creative control.  This is one guy you can be sure won't get burned.  He was already bitten by Sony but got out before he turned (if I might use a zombie reference hehe).

This post was edited by Jitai at February 3, 2015 5:44 PM PST