Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Gold Sellers : Ever a good thing ?

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:07 PM PST
    Jason said:

I am sure I am of the same opinion as most of you. Getting spammed by gold sellers is lame and annoying and destroys immersion. With that said, are there any situations you can think of where having gold sellers is a positive thing on any level ? Having them is having extra subscriptions one could argue, as long as you aren't losing people due to them in their place and assuming they don't spam and keep their auctions on a private site and not  spamming it in the game world. 

Second question : Have you ever purchased or sold  game money or items ? Do you think doing so is wrong ? If you have a very busy life and lots of money but little game time, is it wrong to buy in game stuff to enjoy the game more ? 

POLL:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/polls/view/216/gold-sellers-ever-a-good-thing

Sadly I admit that on  two occasions I had played EQ for years and had a blast but intended to quit. Because of that one time I sold the account of a maxed out bard and another time a maxed out necro. I then changed my mind and came back and with that money I made bought in game items such as an AoN , pre nerf CoS and pre nerf fungi staff. This was many years ago when level 50 was the max in EQ and I don't think I would ever do such a thing again (plus it violates the EULA LOL) . I never did this when I played VG.

Third question: Do you think having plenty of armor and weapon quests to go along with the normal drops/raid/crafted gear is a way to combat gold sellers since they mostly wouldn't even be needed anymore ? 

Never sold or bought an account,  all my characters are non-powerlevelled, created by me...I wouldn't be caught dead buying or selling,  gold platinum.   

Yes I am an old dinosaur,  but I have my principles.   I see the damage that is done to game economies by these parasites (gold sellers)   and that is my exact opinion of them.   And the more someone buys off them, the more they won't be going away...ever.

• 453 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:12 PM PST

How do you feel about multi boxing and thru that means powerleveling yourself, your own low level characters with high level characters of your own ? I used to do that in EQ all the time. In VG I never did, I enjoyed the low level areas so much I simply went thru the motions of the low level quests and low level dungreons because I enjoyed them. 

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:13 PM PST
    Sevens said:
    Zandil said:
    Jason said:

Third question: Do you think having plenty of armor and weapon quests to go along with the normal drops/raid/crafted gear is a way to combat gold sellers since they mostly wouldn't even be needed anymore ? 

Combating gold sellers is always a moving target for the Devs, as soon as they find a way to stop them the farmers find another way in.

One problem we will have is most items and gear in pantheon is going to be able to be traded or sold and that is going to be very enticing to the farmers if Pantheon has a good healthy population of players. 

The problem is most devs go after the sellers....get rid of the buyers too, their use of these scum services are what allow them to thrive.

If a game I am playing has no interest in getting rid of the gold sellers / spammers then that is a game I will not play long. This subject is one of the things that has me a bit concerned about the plan for a free to play up to level (tbd).....I hope the devs consider this and do something to protect the paying customers from spammers making ftp accounts and spamming.

I left Lineage II because they wouldn't do anything about their gold farmers/sellers.   I saw whole newbie villages where the bots were all lined up in a row,  ready to go out criss crossing the landscape, farming everything in sight.      The powers that be, just didn't care...there were more bots than real players,  that was on Bartz server.    Eventually I gave up and cancelled.      But that's an example where no matter how many times you report,  those particular bots are still there weeks after.      No use banging your head on a brick wall in a case like that. 

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:18 PM PST
    Jason said:

How do you feel about multi boxing and thru that means powerleveling yourself, your own low level characters with high level characters of your own ? I used to do that in EQ all the time. In VG I never did, I enjoyed the low level areas so much I simply went thru the motions of the low level quests and low level dungreons because I enjoyed them. 

I have friends that multibox,  been invited to group with them lots of times.    They are at the keyboard, they usually pay for several accounts,  and to me that's just a different playstyle.    If it is someone that runs everything by a program or programs, isn't ever at the keyboard,  then I would object to that.      That's allowing a program to play the game for you, and something I disapprove of.  

Also I would add, that if you are farming newbie areas,  and hogging content for newbies,  then  you need to move into areas more your level.      Content should never be kept away from new players.    Some reasonability should be expected here, for the good of the gaming population and the game.    

• 610 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:19 PM PST
    Jason said:

5-10 years down the line this wont bother me as much as it will at launch / a few years in.

My biggest problem with someone PLing was once they get high enough they really dont know how to play their toon in a group

• 453 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:21 PM PST
    CanadinaXegony said:

Also I would add, that if you are farming newbie areas,  and hogging content for newbies,  then  you need to move into areas more your level.      Content should never be kept away from new players.    Some reasonability should be expected here, for the good of the gaming population and the game.    

I agree, I always hated going into a new zone and then seeing max level characters there mass killing all the mobs I was hoping to hunt just to farm various stuff. 

• 453 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:21 PM PST
    Sevens said:
    Jason said:

5-10 years down the line this wont bother me as much as it will at launch / a few years in.

My biggest problem with someone PLing was once they get high enough they really dont know how to play their toon in a group

I feel the same way.

• 753 posts
    January 13, 2015 12:22 PM PST

It really is an interesting idea to put the power in some volunteer hands - hands that can remain unknown so they don't get bugged too much.

I could see it working like this:

1)  Every player gets the ability to "report"

2)  Create an out of game interface that volunteers can monitor - when someone is reported, it captures the name of the avatar and the offending spam post. 

3)  The volunteer can review the chat log to ensure it's a legit spam and not someone joking around or being reported for invalid reasons

4)  When the volunteer bans an avatar, the interface bans the entire account (not just the character

Gold farmer accounts might get removed fairly quickly and fairly regularly this way.

• 753 posts
    January 13, 2015 1:26 PM PST

I'm not opposed to multi-boxing.  I won't do it, but I'm not opposed to it.  For me, I'm hoping to find one class that absolutely captures my attention for years, period.

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 1:30 PM PST
    Sevens said:
    Jason said:

Very much this,  and people like that are a liability to a group that is trying to accomplish goals. 

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 1:31 PM PST
    Wandidar said:

I'm not opposed to multi-boxing.  I won't do it, but I'm not opposed to it.  For me, I'm hoping to find one class that absolutely captures my attention for years, period.

Hoping for innovative classes,  like Vanguard.   Psionicist, bloodmage and so on. :)  Doesn't have to be those ones in particular,  but perhaps classes with a new twist to them.  :)

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 1:33 PM PST
    Wandidar said:

It really is an interesting idea to put the power in some volunteer hands - hands that can remain unknown so they don't get bugged too much.

I could see it working like this:

1)  Every player gets the ability to "report"

2)  Create an out of game interface that volunteers can monitor - when someone is reported, it captures the name of the avatar and the offending spam post. 

3)  The volunteer can review the chat log to ensure it's a legit spam and not someone joking around or being reported for invalid reasons

4)  When the volunteer bans an avatar, the interface bans the entire account (not just the character

Gold farmer accounts might get removed fairly quickly and fairly regularly this way.

Always remembering that gold farmer/spammer accounts spawn like rabbits. :)  heh

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at January 14, 2015 4:36 AM PST
    • 753 posts
    January 13, 2015 1:37 PM PST

In regard to high level avatars farming low level areas for mats...

Wouldn't the simpler solution be to have high level mats that can be used in place of the low level mats but at increasingly greater quantity / quality? - Then make it so that you don't need a minimum skill level to harvest anything, but make the amount you are able to harvest based off of your skill?

Let's say you are a fledgling alchemist / herb dude.  Here's what I think the impact is:

You absolutely skipped trades on your way to max level (might have to do this in Pantheon just because trades may not be present at launch). 

In the old days, you would now be in some low level area farming the bejesus out of low level stuff... killing everything in sight or harvesting every node you need - despite the low level person in there trying to do the same thing.

With my idea, you go harvest somewhere your own level.  You are very bad at it, so you harvest a node and you only get maybe 1 item from the harvest.  However, because the item is so much higher than you need for your low level alchemy skill, it can be broken down into multiple low level resources. 

Now you are working your harvesting and your alchemy without impacting the low level person (at least in terms of hording content)

Not sure of the impact of such an idea on the broader in game economy in regard to prices on finished trade skill products, etc... but I'm trying to think outside the box a little.

• 3016 posts
    January 13, 2015 3:36 PM PST

Well I usually have an alt to harvest at that particular level.    I don't have just one character.   I have my main,  and I get that main started on something like alchemy for example, and with the ability to harvest flowers etc for making potions.     I tend to try to keep my alts at the level needed ..so they aren't out of whack with the general level for that area or zone.       But I do see people who don't care about the effect they have on a newbie zone...and just spend the whole day there hogging everything in sight.  

Sometimes I'll say something to them, most times don't get an answer,  but I think care should be taken to safeguard newbie zones from that kind of behaviour.     At the newbie stage you are still selling the game and first impressions on a new player.  

People hogging content...tend to drive those new players away.     Not good. 

• 671 posts
    January 13, 2015 10:49 PM PST

No, no & no...!

This is not about chat, or avenues/mode of marketing for gold sellers/farmers. It is about not having them and having resources to remove them quickly.

I hate cheaters & this topic is a peeve of mine. I have many ways you can eradicate farmers & sellers, (perhaps for another thread). I don't have time atm to list/discuss them, but enough to make it a sub-culture of hunting these unwanted players down. That is the answer.

• 23 posts
    January 13, 2015 11:37 PM PST

the simplest way to stop a gold seller is to remove the market, if there is no market there is no gold sellers, example SOE games have virtually 0 gold sellers, why? because it just isnt profitable. but the downside ot that is SOE also doesnt have much of a playerbase, if your shooting for a large playerbase then your gonna need some way to remove the value for a gold seller to try and be there, the only way I can think of is by the company selling gold cheaper than any gold seller could ever sell it.

• 378 posts
    January 14, 2015 2:03 AM PST
    Jason said:

I'm of two minds when it comes to Mboxing, They are paying for all the accounts and as long as there playing them ( granted it's a strange way to play but they are doing it and not botting ) then so be it i guess.  Does a games ToU or CoC etc normally say if your good enough you can't play two accounts at once ?

• 23 posts
    January 14, 2015 2:12 AM PST

multiboxing nowadays is as part of the mmo genre as gaming, many many people multibox rather than do a lot of content BUT I feel there should be a limit of 2 that way u prevent people from running 5 man groups and selling all the loot they get for real life cash like what happens in many games nowadays

• 76 posts
    January 14, 2015 7:51 AM PST

This thread is slightly all over the place.

• 23 posts
    January 14, 2015 7:53 AM PST

I agree it is covering multiple areas, gold farming, multiboxing etc, but in the early stages of the game its actually a good idea. I feel that finding out the direction the game is going to take early on in regards to problems plaguing mmorpgs out there currently, it might actually help the game to earn recognition and respect

• 76 posts
    January 14, 2015 7:57 AM PST

I'm not saying it's bad, just unorganized.

• 9115 posts
    January 14, 2015 7:59 AM PST

I agree also, please keep the discussion about the title of this post "Gold Sellers: Ever a good thing?", if someone wants to discuss multiboxing, please use the search function to find other posts on the subject and also see the polls section for the previous discussions there too. :)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 14, 2015 12:05 PM PST
    • 23 posts
    January 14, 2015 9:36 AM PST

question though...what is the plan for Pantheon is it going to be subscriber based? (pretty much a dead thing) or is it going to be free to play? if its going to be subscriber base then its easier to control gold selling but if its going to be free 2 play then they are going ot need a agressive system for getting rid of gold sellers, I would say honestly look to SOE and find out how SOE limits their gold sellers, they are really the only successful company I have seen really limit gold sellers

• 610 posts
    January 14, 2015 9:42 AM PST
    Dasilva said:

question though...what is the plan for Pantheon is it going to be subscriber based? (pretty much a dead thing) or is it going to be free to play? if its going to be subscriber base then its easier to control gold selling but if its going to be free 2 play then they are going ot need a agressive system for getting rid of gold sellers, I would say honestly look to SOE and find out how SOE limits their gold sellers, they are really the only successful company I have seen really limit gold sellers

From Brad McQuaid himself....Pantheon will be 100% sub, no in game store. There will be (details being worked on) a free trial but after a certain time or level you must either pay up or move on.

• 23 posts
    January 14, 2015 9:47 AM PST
    Sevens said:
    Dasilva said:

From Brad McQuaid himself....Pantheon will be 100% sub, no in game store. There will be (details being worked on) a free trial but after a certain time or level you must either pay up or move on.

hmm interesting we will have to ride this wave and see how it plays out, ESO said they wouldn't go free 2 play even though they were advised to many times, I am pretty sure they will be free 2 play by the end of the year, free 2 play just makes more profit.