Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

New Funding Proposal

• 194 posts
    November 16, 2023 8:33 PM PST
    Okay, well in the interest of furthering discussion I'll say that being out of money (unprovable on my part and not worth me considering) is a separate discussion from whether or not they're looking for money. If they weren't, new monetization options wouldn't be up for consideration.

I've put forth the hypothetical to those who tell me "just donate more if you care and want to make a difference": If you paid for anything (in-ground pool installation, home redecoration, a coffee from a shop, literally anything) and the people you paid had discussions with everyone in your neighborhood about plans they had for said service, you received no actual progress on the thing you paid for and the company not only avoids providing concrete details about the service but requests a month later that you consider paying more money for services not rendered, would you accept that? If not, what is the difference between this situation and why do you expect your neighbors who witnessed this to put their money in?
    • 295 posts
    November 16, 2023 8:34 PM PST
    Susurrus said:
    I have noticed this idea being talked about on Discord too that once you start paying you would get access. My idea is that you would only get access to what your total contributed amount allows access too. For example if you had previously pledged for Alpha access and now started making monthly payments of 14.99 you would only gain per-alpha access once your total pledge amounts added up per-alpha levels. Same thing if you start monthly without any previews pledges you would unlock pledge levels as you hit them not before.

My expectations would be that most people would only use this to increase there pledge level. It would be a way to both support Pantheon in an affordable way long term with the added advantage of the possibility of unlocking higher pledges.

Yes. This is how I envision it to be as well. The advantage is that you would be contributing towards Alpha, Beta, pre-Alpha when you are not right now. I believe there are lots of folks who want to be in pre-Alpha, etc. but can't afford it. This is just ONE(of many) ways to bring VR some funds and help those who are interested get to their chosen pledge level. You can also pay extra when you want as well. I contributed $50 a few months ago in addition to what I already paid. That could be a thing as well.

Anyway, i like the idea and hope VR can implement it in some capacity. i would pledge in this manner and i'm ready to buy a hoodie, T-shirt and mousepad if they ever became available. Again, this is ONLY for those interested.
    • 77 posts
    November 17, 2023 2:23 AM PST
    justdrop said:

I've put forth the hypothetical to those who tell me "just donate more if you care and want to make a difference": If you paid for anything (in-ground pool installation, home redecoration, a coffee from a shop, literally anything) and the people you paid had discussions with everyone in your neighborhood about plans they had for said service, you received no actual progress on the thing you paid for and the company not only avoids providing concrete details about the service but requests a month later that you consider paying more money for services not rendered, would you accept that? If not, what is the difference between this situation and why do you expect your neighbors who witnessed this to put their money in?

We didn't buy an object, we donated towards an idea of a game.

The people who want to donate more still believe in that idea with the information given to them. While you don't think the updates given has shown proof of anything, others who do see acceptable progress may still donate if they have the money they are willing to gamble with.

If you were an actual "investor", your argument would make more sense since you have an actual stake in the company.

I personally probably won't do a subscription like stated here, but I won't scoff at the people who do want to help the company cross the finish line faster. They aren't wrong for their feelings, just like others are not wrong for no longer wanting/being able to pay more.
    • 194 posts
    November 17, 2023 2:55 AM PST
    Nexira said:

We didn't buy an object, we donated towards an idea of a game.

That hasn't materialized in ten years, which in my personal case authorizes me two copies. This line of reasoning doesn't work when there's an exchange planned.
    • 167 posts
    November 17, 2023 6:12 AM PST
    justdrop said:
    Okay, well in the interest of furthering discussion I'll say that being out of money (unprovable on my part and not worth me considering) is a separate discussion from whether or not they're looking for money. If they weren't, new monetization options wouldn't be up for consideration.

Ok, well buying a coffee or a pool isn't a fair argument, because those are completed products. If you want to use those as examples, you need to save them for when Pantheon is a box price, sitting on a shelf at Best buy.

This is more akin to someone pitching you a new idea for a coffee shop, that uses old technology, or old brewing processes, after market research showed that there was a need in the community for coffee made in such a way. If this were the case, you'd expect pitfalls and changes to the plan as you brought the store online. There would be an initial assessment of cost and then as time progressed and you made it to new phases, you'd need to readjust for unforeseen circumstances. That's how it went when I built my house, as well, as another example.

However, I will agree that the people who've already pledged and donated are not the people that should be giving more money. At this point VR has made good choices, restored faith with a lot of people and now they need to show some progress. I'm a little confused by the fact that they are dropping the verbal NDA, but not the visual NDA, when what they need now, is the community to see the full MMORPG back up and running and being played in the new art style.

That was why I asked in the Q&A the "with no visual nda drop question, why not let streamers put together some preapproved videos, so they at least have some content to play in the background, while they talk in their youtube videos" Because a bunch of streamers faces talking about a game, isn't going to do anything for anyone outside of the current Pantheon community. There HAS to be new content in those videos, or they will not get any new interest.
    • VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    November 17, 2023 9:07 AM PST

Regardless of negative or positive opinions, posts are required to follow the rules and stay on topic. This thread has been cleaned up, please keep it on track.

• 902 posts
    November 17, 2023 10:13 AM PST
    There are way to many people spouting nonsense as fact. Unless you are working for VR and have the permission of VR to say how the company is doing, then it is just total fiction. Such as "no money to create the game". LOL. MANY times VR have stated they have enough to get the game to completion, yet the same people shout the same dross over and over. And rant done!
    This post was edited by chenzeme at November 17, 2023 10:14 AM PST
    • 167 posts
    November 17, 2023 10:37 AM PST
    To reinforce chenzeme's point - Directly from Joppa:

"I think it's also very important to say, too, that we are not out of money. I'm just going to say it as bluntly as I can, I know that there are a lot of concerns, with a lot of our our messaging, in that the interpretation of it was that we are out of money and this is all kind of a last ditch effort, to try to make something happen; that is not the case.

What we meant to emphasize and I want to emphasize again, that our goal is to accelerate development as much as we can. So that we can finish the game soon.

So I want to make sure, that everyone leaves here tonight, being able to shed that concern, that this is all going to come to and end, because we're out of money. That is absolutely not true. "
    This post was edited by Prevenge at November 17, 2023 10:39 AM PST
    • 295 posts
    November 17, 2023 11:13 AM PST
    Savanja said:

Regardless of negative or positive opinions, posts are required to follow the rules and stay on topic. This thread has been cleaned up, please keep it on track.

But you kept the comments by the person intentionally derailing the post. None of his posts seem to be on topic, yet some of them are still here. His very first comment was unnecessary and started all of this.
    This post was edited by Dikenzu at November 17, 2023 11:16 AM PST
    • 2052 posts
    November 19, 2023 3:42 PM PST

Mod Edit: Off topic posts removed.

Community Guidelines

"Violations of these guidelines will result in a warning (either in channel/thread or via direct message), or a mute/timeout. Repeated violations can result in a permanent ban from our Discord server, and/or the official forums and potentially risk action against the user’s account."

• 77 posts
    November 19, 2023 3:57 PM PST
    u know there was actual feedback in my post about how I could see a sub working and suggestions on how to make it more enticing. I'll just stop posting in general if we are just blanket deleting posts now. Not that it matters, I know this isn't an airport.
    • 2052 posts
    November 19, 2023 4:23 PM PST
    Nexira said: u know there was actual feedback in my post about how I could see a sub working and suggestions on how to make it more enticing. I'll just stop posting in general if we are just blanket deleting posts now. Not that it matters, I know this isn't an airport.

Sorry, but

Savanja said:

The moderators have been instructed to remove posts that violate our rules rather than edit portions of them, expect to see that moving forward.

Also, there is more info in your messages.
    This post was edited by Jothany at November 19, 2023 4:24 PM PST
    • 36 posts
    November 20, 2023 7:04 AM PST
    This is an excellent idea. I would gladly pay $15 a month that accrues to my tier. I would also pay $15 a month to start playing pre-Alpha now too.