Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Different Merchants, Different Prices

• 159 posts
    March 8, 2020 5:43 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

Jothany said:

KatoKhan said:

First of all let me say that my preferred system is no NPC vendors and all drops should be crafting materials.

That's one of the more radical ideas I've heard on the forums. How would players acquire currency if there's no cash in drops and they don't sell loot to vendors?

I may not be seeing it like Katokhan was intending but I have thought of something similar in the past. NPC vendors having no pre loaded stock, only having what players sold them. As time went on they would acquire items from the players.

Either way, interesting idea to explore.

I like the idea later on in the adventure, as 99.9% of vendor gear serves no purpose in most MMOs. However, at very early levels, I think there should be affordable average-below average gear availible for purchase to help new players fill out their gear in other ways.

Also, I believe I remember hearing something about super rare (don't quote me) materials or items that vendors can sell. Kind of like a rare spawn. Whether I just made that up or not, seems interesting and I would be on board for things like that - balance depending.

• 888 posts
    March 9, 2020 4:23 PM PDT
    While vendors paying a different amount sounds interesting on paper, in reality it's mostly just an annoyance because it means choosing between selling for less and spending precious game time traveling between vendors. If you're going to do this, make it substantial and meaningful. Have each vendor pay good coin for the first few of each item and then diminishing returns after that (until a player buys out their stock). Players should either enjoy the mechanic (like if it makes a long caravan worthwhile) or it shouldn't be in the game.

What is more fun is having all kinds of different specialty vendors threw out the world with different inventories, encouraging us to pop in and browse every time we're in a new area. Each main item should have an interesting variation that is only sold by one vendor (per faction). This rewards exploration and gives the player a feeling of acquiring secret knowledge, especially if the vendors are not in starting areas.
    • 2041 posts
    March 9, 2020 5:03 PM PDT

Counterfleche said: ...having all kinds of different specialty vendors threw out the world with different inventories, encouraging us to pop in and browse every time we're in a new area. Each main item should have an interesting variation that is only sold by one vendor (per faction). This rewards exploration and gives the player a feeling of acquiring secret knowledge, especially if the vendors are not in starting areas.

I want this, regardless of how they adjust the vendor pricing between areas.

• 2138 posts
    March 10, 2020 7:34 AM PDT

The "silk road" may be an extra thing to keep in mind when planning to travel somewhere if you travel light and loose. No money? no problem, I'll stock up on some amberfaet wolf pelts so when I head to syronnai's rest, they'll pay much for it and i'll have a some spending money while im adventuring there and get some spells/armor that you can only get there- once i've improved my faction enough to be able to get them.

• 196 posts
    March 11, 2020 9:09 PM PDT

I think it is a good thing about vendors sells items in a city at a cheaper price because of supply and demand and when vendore sell items that are farther from any major town or city the prices should be increased due to supply and demend.

• 2756 posts
    March 12, 2020 2:57 AM PDT

Manouk said:

The "silk road" may be an extra thing to keep in mind when planning to travel somewhere if you travel light and loose. No money? no problem, I'll stock up on some amberfaet wolf pelts so when I head to syronnai's rest, they'll pay much for it and i'll have a some spending money while im adventuring there and get some spells/armor that you can only get there- once i've improved my faction enough to be able to get them.

I would *love* this kind of thing. It really adds a sense of 'real world' to the travel and exploration.

Also reminds me of trading in Elite, which I enjoyed. Making notes of profitable trade routes and what to pick up and carry for each leg so the journey isn't 'wasted'.

Awesome.