Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

12/12 Stream Thoughts

• 6 posts
    December 15, 2019 2:56 AM PST

I really had great fun watching the stream. Noticed that I right clicked to change camera angle and also moused over the hotbar icon, so immersed.

Also, cannot agree on some posters opinion. I dont care about the trumpet sound, nor can I agree with seeing 30 minutes of wiping. Before 1st wipe, COH looted the hammer and lost 2 STR (15%) and 1 STA (10%). The wipe did happen BC of long agroe * social range from unseen left and right cornern including roaming named add. Further more, I saw that his 1 HD blunt skill went up during fight, so it can be, that his 1 HD blunt skill was not high enough to make decent damage.

Other deaths and near group deaths were to the lack of mana mgmt.

This is what we all wanted, isn't it. Group content, not easy, rewarding and challenging, time to chat and talk between regen time. I believe due to current fightings in MMOs, we so petted with easy content. Mobs that are killed with one or two blows. Soloing up to 10 mobs in BDO isn't what I want to see in the future. Rushing through content with no hospitality, no time to say "hello", "thank you" or "good-bye" - I am fed up with this. In group rantings about others not making enough dmg, instant kicks without further notice, because everything became such a "rush"

For me, I enjoyed it very much and cannot wait to join alpha. Keep the good work up VR. And let CoH work on his taunt skills :)

All very, very nice. :)

Feronn

This post was edited by Ezekiel at December 15, 2019 2:59 AM PST
    • 291 posts
    December 15, 2019 7:00 AM PST

Ezekiel said:

I really had great fun watching the stream. Noticed that I right clicked to change camera angle and also moused over the hotbar icon, so immersed.

Also, cannot agree on some posters opinion. I dont care about the trumpet sound, nor can I agree with seeing 30 minutes of wiping. Before 1st wipe, COH looted the hammer and lost 2 STR (15%) and 1 STA (10%). The wipe did happen BC of long agroe * social range from unseen left and right cornern including roaming named add. Further more, I saw that his 1 HD blunt skill went up during fight, so it can be, that his 1 HD blunt skill was not high enough to make decent damage.

Other deaths and near group deaths were to the lack of mana mgmt.

This is what we all wanted, isn't it. Group content, not easy, rewarding and challenging, time to chat and talk between regen time. I believe due to current fightings in MMOs, we so petted with easy content. Mobs that are killed with one or two blows. Soloing up to 10 mobs in BDO isn't what I want to see in the future. Rushing through content with no hospitality, no time to say "hello", "thank you" or "good-bye" - I am fed up with this. In group rantings about others not making enough dmg, instant kicks without further notice, because everything became such a "rush"

For me, I enjoyed it very much and cannot wait to join alpha. Keep the good work up VR. And let CoH work on his taunt skills :)

All very, very nice. :)

Feronn

My brother from another mother!

• 74 posts
    December 15, 2019 11:51 AM PST

It is no longer necessary to be sitting on the ground to recover mana more effectively?

• 137 posts
    December 15, 2019 12:44 PM PST

First off I would like to say I am glad you guys did the stream this soon after losing Brad, it shows the world your are attempting to move forward, which I think is very important. 

Personally, as someone who has been following the game for a long time, I really felt the stream was lack luster......not terrible, just kinda meh. Just about everything shown where things shown in prior streams, with some polish. I enjoy the polish and think it looks good (other then I still hate that the Dawrves are blue, ontop of the zone being blue and the NPC Dawrves are blue.....to much.

Climbing was shown a long time ago, yes the animation are better, but its not stream worthy, just kinda meh.

The banner agro thingy, terrible, imho, I would really like to see you reconsider it, but not game breaking by any means. 

Sword in the face wiggle, taunt was down right cringe worthy. But again, its still very early in alpha not like that can't be adjusted or changed.  

Again, I think it was a good idea to do the stream to show the general audience that you are moving forward, but I really would like to see something more of substance in the nearish future. You are already behind schedule on Project Faerthale, I would rather see a small clip from that, then yet another revisit to another zone, that we have already been to on streams. This isnt a total complaint, because I do see improvement, but I would like to see something more of substance............

Also, please stop deleting posts that are not 100% fanboy, get rid of troll posts, but leave the ones alone that are just a differing opinion. I stopped posting awhile back because my postings were getting constantly deleted for one reason or another.

This post was edited by Riply at December 15, 2019 12:48 PM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 324 posts
    December 15, 2019 1:02 PM PST

Alyonyah said:

When I saw the other group run by I got hella jealous. lol.

That other group was me and a few other internal people. :)

• 291 posts
    December 15, 2019 1:59 PM PST

Artois said:

Alyonyah said:

When I saw the other group run by I got hella jealous. lol.

That other group was me and a few other internal people. :)

/em shakes fist at sky!

• 124 posts
    December 15, 2019 3:12 PM PST

I'm pretty sure I've stated this before, but I'll just ask everyone reading to think of any company, literally any company you've ever worked for, for the entire duration of your life, from north, south, east or west of the entire planet, and wonder whether any of them have a 'compliments' department to deal with all the relentless positivity flooding in. I'm pretty sure not a single one exists, but if they do, they will be few, and far, between. However, they will all have a complaints team, that's for sure! Brad stated that, if someone isn't pissed off about something, all of the time, that's far worse than no feedback / emotion at all. People complain, they always do, they always will, it shows that they are passionate about it. However, with the advent of the internet, we all know that, it's become a cess pit of negativity, with the minority expressing a relentless thirst to be pleased that can never be quenched. With such a spoon-banging mindset, it's very difficult to filter out constructive feedback / criticism from those which complain, no matter what. The moderating of these boards is clearly trying to achieve that task, and I don't envy them!

Some people 'complain' that, these forums have a bad reputation in places such as Reddit because they are positive, and not drowning in negativity, and that's seen as a bad thing? The community is what matters for this game, not giving the entire MMO community what they want. And let's be honest, what the broader MMO community has devolved to is, chasing carrots on sticks for an eternity whilst having their shoulders massaged by a corporate suit who is simultaneously pick-pocketing them.

In short, be constructive, don't be an asshole, and I'm sure your post will be fine on these boards.

This post was edited by Shadowbound at December 15, 2019 3:18 PM PST
    • 291 posts
    December 15, 2019 3:21 PM PST

Shadowbound said:

I'm pretty sure I've stated this before, but I'll just ask everyone reading to think of any company, literally any company you've ever worked for, for the entire duration of your life, from north, south, east or west of the entire planet, and wonder whether any of them have a 'compliments' department to deal with all the relentless positivity flooding in. I'm pretty sure not a single one exists, but if they do, they will be few, and far, between. However, they will all have a complaints team, that's for sure! Brad stated that, if someone isn't pissed off about something, all of the time, that's far worse than no feedback / emotion at all. People complain, they always do, they always will, it shows that they are passionate about it. However, with the advent of the internet, we all know that, it's become a cess pit of negativity, with the minority expressing a relentless thirst to be pleased that can never be quenched. With such a spoon-banging mindset, it's very difficult to filter out constructive feedback / criticism from those which complain, no matter what. The moderating of these boards is clearly trying to achieve that task, and I don't envy them!

Some people 'complain' that, these forums have a bad reputation in places such as Reddit because they are positive, and not drowning in negativity, and that's seen as a bad thing? The community is what matters for this game, not giving the entire MMO community what they want. And let's be honest, what the broader MMO community has devolved to is, chasing carrots on sticks for an eternity whilst having their shoulders massaged by a corporate suit who is simultaneously pick-pocketing them.

In short, be constructive, don't be an asshole, and I'm sure your post will be fine on these boards.

Amen.

• 379 posts
    December 15, 2019 7:09 PM PST

Elki said:

It is no longer necessary to be sitting on the ground to recover mana more effectively?

I think they were just being noobs. If you noticed Brasse's mana bar while not sitting during downtime, it barely regen'd. Also, at no time did we see the 'meditation' graphic either. So unless they nixed the graphic and the mechanic to sit, all while leaving mana regen ultra low...I would imagine it's just them not sitting down.

• 9115 posts
    December 15, 2019 8:31 PM PST

Thread cleaned up - constructive criticism is always and has always been welcomed, I have been very clear on that from the start. What I do not tolerate is insults, rude statements, misinformed opinions or personal attacks (plus any other guideline breaches).

There are 100 ways to say something, if you choose to publically insult or berate us on our own official forums in a nasty way, it will be removed without warning or hesitation.

If you wish to send a question directly to the team, please do so via a support ticket - https://www.pantheonmmo.com/support/

I send all constructive feedback through to the appropriate dev teams, so even if we don't reply, it has been taken on board. This includes positive feedback, which we also appreciate a lot.

Please keep the thread on topic and respectful so it can remain open.

• 238 posts
    December 16, 2019 7:02 AM PST

I really enjoyed seeing the flawless diamond on one of the bodies the Cohh looted. I know that's a "small" thing to be impressed by, but precious gemstones are something that I loved in EQ. Over the years they have found their way out of a lot of MMOs, or have been incorporated into professions only. In a lot of modern MMOs you rarely see them drop off of mobs and instead see them derived from certain professions. 

I wonder if we will see classes need them for certain buffs/spells like Everquest, vs only seeing them only used in certain professions. I can't wait to learn more about this.

• 291 posts
    December 16, 2019 7:24 AM PST

Baldur said:

I really enjoyed seeing the flawless diamond on one of the bodies the Cohh looted. I know that's a "small" thing to be impressed by, but precious gemstones are something that I loved in EQ. Over the years they have found their way out of a lot of MMOs, or have been incorporated into professions only. In a lot of modern MMOs you rarely see them drop off of mobs and instead see them derived from certain professions. 

I wonder if we will see classes need them for certain buffs/spells like Everquest, vs only seeing them only used in certain professions. I can't wait to learn more about this.

I felt this exact same way when I saw the diamond lol. And thanks kilsin for making that post and cleaning up our forums.

• 1428 posts
    December 16, 2019 8:55 AM PST

i would say the new ui is cleaner.  there is a better translation of information.

the climbing stuff is really cool.

will there be swimming areas and underwater vistas?

i'm frowning a bit with the warrior banners being intergrated into the las12.  is this experimental?  i remember in the old stream warrior banners had it's own thing away from the las12.

if this is the case, i would be content if all classes don't have an extra bar and it's all folded into las12.

• 560 posts
    December 16, 2019 10:46 AM PST

This is the first gameplay video I watched from beginning to end without skipping any of it. If this was the final game, I would have lots of issues but I expect most of my issues will be resolved by beta or release.

The zone’s looks and climbing impressed me the most. I hope they add in a rope as well. I realize this could cause design issues but I just love the idea of brining a rope on my adventures. I loved how the zone seemed to sprawl all over the place with lots of areas you could see but not immediately get too.

I was excited to hear them talk about extra bars for none main abilities. Like clickys or buffs. I remember in EQ you could have preserved ability bars you could load for specific situations or buffing. I figured they would add something like this and that would work. But I think they could do it better and having some additional bars with limited use sounds like a good start.

Anyone else worried or have issue with the warrior banners seeming like clutter? It looks like something that will likely always need to be planted and a lot based on what appears to be a short duration. Even in one group I found this to be a distraction. But I really fear more than one warrior in one group or in raids. I guess I just love stances, auras or battle cry’s a lot more.

I am a little concerned about what appears to be trivial loot being no-drop. I see the need for no-drop loot but had hoped it would be used sparingly.

• 1428 posts
    December 16, 2019 11:12 AM PST

starblight said:

This is the first gameplay video I watched from beginning to end without skipping any of it. If this was the final game, I would have lots of issues but I expect most of my issues will be resolved by beta or release.

The zone’s looks and climbing impressed me the most. I hope they add in a rope as well. I realize this could cause design issues but I just love the idea of brining a rope on my adventures. I loved how the zone seemed to sprawl all over the place with lots of areas you could see but not immediately get too.

I was excited to hear them talk about extra bars for none main abilities. Like clickys or buffs. I remember in EQ you could have preserved ability bars you could load for specific situations or buffing. I figured they would add something like this and that would work. But I think they could do it better and having some additional bars with limited use sounds like a good start.

Anyone else worried or have issue with the warrior banners seeming like clutter? It looks like something that will likely always need to be planted and a lot based on what appears to be a short duration. Even in one group I found this to be a distraction. But I really fear more than one warrior in one group or in raids. I guess I just love stances, auras or battle cry’s a lot more.

I am a little concerned about what appears to be trivial loot being no-drop. I see the need for no-drop loot but had hoped it would be used sparingly.

yea the banners being on the las12 is too restrictive.  while i didn't see warrior fumbling with the spellbook, having less finesse is eh.   i liked the old warrior banners being on a separate class bar.  maybe have just a banner bar with only 3 you can swap in and out.

i think the old banner bar had every banner under the sun on it(which would give warriors insane flexibility).

there is some interesting thinggs with no-drop loot.  i would say that it'll keep marketplace/auciton house much cleaner.  it would also prevent people from just buying their gear and almost force players to go out craft, find parties, etc to get the piece of gear they want.

actually what are the cons of no-drop loot?

• 500 posts
    December 16, 2019 11:38 AM PST

Mathir said: 

4)  Sounds like you've given up on the Bard before launch, so now there has to be 1000 enchanters to fill the support role in the quaternity that only has one class.  The stream today only reinforced that with Cohh himself stating the obvious.  You guys made a massive design mistake not having more support based classes in game, especially the bard.  Any really, you need at least a third class, could easily make the Necro a support/CC class to round out the playing options and give different flavors of support to choose from.

Overall I was very pleased with the stream. Wish it had been PF, but otherwise love the progress that VR continues to make.

As for the Bard comments... It was stated that they will launch with 12 classes.  The only one that leaves out is the Necro, and that has not been on the books for release for a long time.  However, I would like to see another CC class at some point. Just my 2cp

• 752 posts
    December 16, 2019 12:35 PM PST

Everything i saw makes me just want to play even more. The game will just keep getting more and more polish on it. I LOVED the slowdown in battle speed - It reminded me so much of Classic EQ. I hope they stick with a single hotbutton bar for skills/spells but allow a macro/item bar - if i were to give feedback. Some people would want 20 hotbutton bars, but I only need 2. 

• 134 posts
    December 16, 2019 12:43 PM PST

I hope they haven't given up on bard. As someone who pledged back in the summer of 2016, I was hoping my class choice would make it in before launch, but seeing Bard on items made me happy!

With that said, it looks like Rogue is up my alley.

• 1921 posts
    December 16, 2019 1:02 PM PST

stellarmind said: ... actually what are the cons of no-drop loot?
    It depends on the public design goals.
    Today, the FAQ says, in section 13.11: " ... no-drop and bind-on-equip items will be the exception, not the rule. "  Clearly, that's currently not the case, as they were seen in the Dec 12 video.  Could just be this build that they demo'd, could be an entire design philosophy shift.  No way to know unless VR tells us.

If you want to step into the realm of speculation, the pros and cons of NO-DROP depend a lot on whether or not you want to reward player actions, or character actions.  What does that mean?
    Player actions means the reward scope is: the account owner, including all characters on the account.  Character actions means the reward scope is: that particular character only.
    If anything in the game is trade-able, be it currency, items, or any other thing persistently tracked, kept or stored?  That becomes a Player reward, minimum.  It means it can be given to all other characters on the account, at minimum.  It may also mean the trade-able can potentially be given to any other Player.

This design philosophy permits a wide range of good and bad emergent behaviors, but the most notable and terrible is destructive-RMT, arbitrage, exploiting currency disparity (including both real and virtual exchange) and more.  Yet, the convenience offered by trade-able economies or systems is valued so much, no-one (to date, that I'm aware of) has built an MMO without it.
    In short, people love their currency, and people love to be able to use currency in trade.  Similarly, people love trade-able items, and love to be able to use donate, buy and sell trade-able items.
    It is entirely possible to design an economy that uses no trade-able currency.  It's also possible to design a hybrid economy that uses some trade-able and some un-trade-able currencies.  As well, you can have an economy with everything being trade-able.

How well each of those "works" is largely a matter of opinion.  If your perspective is to facilitate destructive-RMT, having everything trade-able is ideal, because you can then assign RL currency value to everything, and as a result, sell everything.  You can monetize the entire game world, the entire game experience.  It makes money, sure, but is that the only goal of the endeavor?
    Design goals are tricky things, if you have integrity.  They are the outward expression, from the gaming company to the customers, of how much integrity the company is willing to demonstrate, at the expense of profit.  Each design goal that demonstrates integrity has the potential to both limit the target demographic and limit profit.

IMO, A game that contained only NO-TRADE items and currency would be the ultimate expression of rewarding characters only.  Each character would be the sum of their actions, only.  The only way to help another character, in-game, would be to provide time, knowledge, wisdom, attention, social contact, and social/community support.  In other words, you would have to actually take time to help them, rather than simply give them money. :)  Likely not enough of a popular notion to attract a minimum viable subscription count, today.

• 1428 posts
    December 16, 2019 1:39 PM PST

vjek said:

IMO, A game that contained only NO-TRADE items and currency would be the ultimate expression of rewarding characters only.  Each character would be the sum of their actions, only.  The only way to help another character, in-game, would be to provide time, knowledge, wisdom, attention, social contact, and social/community support.  In other words, you would have to actually take time to help them, rather than simply give them money. :)  Likely not enough of a popular notion to attract a minimum viable subscription count, today.

ah okay.  so really it's more of a way to limit the rmt business.  i think bdo has something similar to a no tradeable equipment.  one can sell at a fixed priced- taxed, however, equipment can't be directly traded from player to player, yet equipment can stay within the individual account, meaning i can transfer the equipment to my other characters via a shared bank.

-oh consumables are tradeable, but limited in bdo.

i would say i'm for this then, although i would allow the main characters to farm equipment for their fresh toons.  one should be able to take a well trained and equipped horse out for work for beskar.  this is the way afterall.

no currency is a bit out there.  it's kind of bread and butter in high fantasy(this game is high fantasy right?).  i wouldn't allow p2p transfer of currency though.  that's how rmt come into play(have you taken a look at the bdo stuff or would you like a tldr?).

uhh so the transfer of wealth is only by the merits of the player and the individuals characters associated with the account?

• 2138 posts
    December 16, 2019 2:35 PM PST

vjek said:

stellarmind said: ... actually what are the cons of no-drop loot?
    It depends on the public design goals.
    Today, the FAQ says, in section 13.11: " ... no-drop and bind-on-equip items will be the exception, not the rule. "  Clearly, that's currently not the case, as they were seen in the Dec 12 video.  Could just be this build that they demo'd, could be an entire design philosophy shift.  No way to know unless VR tells us.

[...]
      The only way to help another character, in-game, would be to provide time, knowledge, wisdom, attention, social contact, and social/community support.  In other words, you would have to actually take time to help them, rather than simply give them money. :)  [...]

*stops chewing as cookie crumbs begin to fall off her chin and says* but thats the whole point, innit? "today me, tomorrow you" that whole thing, "pay it forward". yadda-yadda, ho ho ho? Once more into the breach... within reason of course.

*swallows* I mean backflagging is a PITA and you have to manage your own progression too, thats why you need friends, alot of friends. Press on some over here, press on some over there, be avaible for them over there, and them over here, and when you need a big thing, they all show up! and when they need a thing? you run...

*grabs another cookie* what?

This post was edited by Manouk at December 16, 2019 2:36 PM PST
    • 2041 posts
    December 16, 2019 3:25 PM PST

Grymmlocke said:

As for the Bard comments... It was stated that they will launch with 12 classes.  The only one that leaves out is the Necro, and that has not been on the books for release for a long time.  However, I would like to see another CC class at some point. Just my 2cp

I'm sorry, you are mistaken. Bard is the 13th class, Necro 14th.

• 2041 posts
    December 16, 2019 3:25 PM PST

starblight said:

The zone’s looks and climbing impressed me the most. I hope they add in a rope as well. I realize this could cause design issues but I just love the idea of brining a rope on my adventures.

They're on it. Rogue abililty: Length of Rope "Let down a length of rope which your group members can climb."

I might have missed something, but having watched all the streams this is the first 'No Drop' item I have seen. That's pretty sparing.

The weapons might even be relatively easy to get, and just made no drop to discourage players farming them for resale.

• 2041 posts
    December 16, 2019 3:42 PM PST

Mathir said:

A)  At some point in the stream Cohh asked exactly how many classes would be launched with and Joppa was very affirmative in 12.  Not like the past where he said the Bard would also likely make it in, looking good, or anything else.  It was 12.  That means no bard.

At 36 minutes into the stream Cohh pauses from talking to his followers to ask "how many classes you going for on release" and Joppa replies "12", whereupon Cohh continues what he was saying to his audience. I'm quoting here to point out that asking 'exactly' how many classes and Joppa being 'very affirmative' about a one-word answer are both your embellishment of that conversation.

As far as deciding what it 'means', I think a couple of additional points need to be included for perspective. This wasn't a VR stream aimed at us 'knowledgable supporters', it was a Cohh stream aimed at his legion of followers. Historically those events are geared to an audience that is largely unfamiliar with the game. Much of what gets presented at such events is a simple overview of Pantheon that can be found on the website. Where it still lists 12 classes to start, just as it did on the day in 2018 when Joppa told Baz "I feel confident from my perspective that we will be able to have the Bard in by launch".

I believe it is quite reasonable to interpret the exchange to mean that the Bard has not yet been coded into the game, and VR is not yet to the point where they are ready to promise that it will be there by launch. I wish they had, but I understand why they might prefer to wait. It would effectively have been an 'official' announcement if Joppa had answered "13".

I do not believe it reasonable to conclude from Joppa's answer that VR does not expect or intend to have Bard in at launch.

As an old cliche goes, 'Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack'

This post was edited by Jothany at December 16, 2019 4:15 PM PST
    • 65 posts
    December 16, 2019 3:54 PM PST

I really enjoyed the video. Keep up the good work!