Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

12/12 Stream Thoughts

• 1428 posts
    December 16, 2019 4:40 PM PST

Manouk said:

vjek said:

stellarmind said: ... actually what are the cons of no-drop loot?
    It depends on the public design goals.
    Today, the FAQ says, in section 13.11: " ... no-drop and bind-on-equip items will be the exception, not the rule. "  Clearly, that's currently not the case, as they were seen in the Dec 12 video.  Could just be this build that they demo'd, could be an entire design philosophy shift.  No way to know unless VR tells us.

[...]
      The only way to help another character, in-game, would be to provide time, knowledge, wisdom, attention, social contact, and social/community support.  In other words, you would have to actually take time to help them, rather than simply give them money. :)  [...]

*stops chewing as cookie crumbs begin to fall off her chin and says* but thats the whole point, innit? "today me, tomorrow you" that whole thing, "pay it forward". yadda-yadda, ho ho ho? Once more into the breach... within reason of course.

*swallows* I mean backflagging is a PITA and you have to manage your own progression too, thats why you need friends, alot of friends. Press on some over here, press on some over there, be avaible for them over there, and them over here, and when you need a big thing, they all show up! and when they need a thing? you run...

*grabs another cookie* what?

*pulls dark chocolate chip with a spruce of sea salt out the oven*  it definitely builds more interdependency.  i could see flakey guilds doing that.  i mean, if they got really good cookies(a person's soul?  personality?  culture?), one is more likely to want to be a part of that guild instead of being a wayward guildmate i suppose.  gotta let people do their thing XD  everyone has different priorities and tastes.  cookie? *handing cookie*

• 1921 posts
    December 16, 2019 6:12 PM PST

The point was more that without trade-able currency or items, the only way you could help is with time, knowledge, wisdom, attention, social contact, and social/community support.
    If you have trade-able currency, you don't have to do anything of that, strictly speaking.  You can merely hand the new/inexperinced player the CoF, FBSS, etc, 8 Tinker Bags, 10000 Plat, and say "Have fun!" and they can go to the Bazaar and buy most of the rest of what they'll need as they level up.  ( I'm being facetious, but only a little bit )
    Or at the very least, have a significant advantage, compared to another new player without all those trade-able items.

Certainly, both design philosophies allow players to help each other.  The scope of that help differs dramatically between implementations, though.
    Our guild is always more interested in investing time into new players, rather than items and currency.  The former drives retention, the latter seems to encourage the opposite.
    I am completely in favor of a pure barter economic model for MMO's, and I am completely in favor of rewarding characters over players. 
    Yet, I recognize neither or none of these are current public design goals for Pantheon, so far, so have to temper my expectations.

• 523 posts
    December 16, 2019 8:59 PM PST

Jothany said:

Mathir said:

A)  At some point in the stream Cohh asked exactly how many classes would be launched with and Joppa was very affirmative in 12.  Not like the past where he said the Bard would also likely make it in, looking good, or anything else.  It was 12.  That means no bard.

At 36 minutes into the stream Cohh pauses from talking to his followers to ask "how many classes you going for on release" and Joppa replies "12", whereupon Cohh continues what he was saying to his audience. I'm quoting here to point out that asking 'exactly' how many classes and Joppa being 'very affirmative' about a one-word answer are both your embellishment of that conversation.

As far as deciding what it 'means', I think a couple of additional points need to be included for perspective. This wasn't a VR stream aimed at us 'knowledgable supporters', it was a Cohh stream aimed at his legion of followers. Historically those events are geared to an audience that is largely unfamiliar with the game. Much of what gets presented at such events is a simple overview of Pantheon that can be found on the website. Where it still lists 12 classes to start, just as it did on the day in 2018 when Joppa told Baz "I feel confident from my perspective that we will be able to have the Bard in by launch".

I believe it is quite reasonable to interpret the exchange to mean that the Bard has not yet been coded into the game, and VR is not yet to the point where they are ready to promise that it will be there by launch. I wish they had, but I understand why they might prefer to wait. It would effectively have been an 'official' announcement if Joppa had answered "13".

I do not believe it reasonable to conclude from Joppa's answer that VR does not expect or intend to have Bard in at launch.

As an old cliche goes, 'Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack'

Historically, Joppa has gone out of his way to talk about likely having at least the Bard in as well prior to launch, this was the first time that I can recall in any interview or stream over the last 5 years that he said they were going to launch with 12 classes.  It was a change.  If I'm wrong on this, Chris, please put it to bed and say nothing has changed with the Bard, it's still in the plans for launch, or let us know that it's definitely going to be post-launch at this point.  Seems simple enough.

• 379 posts
    December 16, 2019 9:19 PM PST

"the Enchanter we all know as, as of right now anyway, the sole kind of CC class, as of right now..(while motioning and deviously grinning)" -- Joppa (October 26th stream)

Sounds like the Bard is on it's way, Choo Choooooooo!

• 624 posts
    December 16, 2019 9:41 PM PST

Although this was no guarantee of the bard class, Joppa teased this at the human passives reveal:

[Thronefastian Charm]
    "...and while there's some debate, the bards of Thronefast probably write the catchiest songs"

It will be difficult for us to do that if we don't exist. *laughs* In fairness, maybe he meant they WILL write yada yada - sometime after release. 

This post was edited by Kumu at December 16, 2019 10:20 PM PST
    • 36 posts
    December 16, 2019 11:38 PM PST

I'm a sucker for good animation, Wieghty combat from a melee class just gives it a good feeling as a whole (I didn't enjoy it much from the warriors perspective), also I wasn't too fascinated with the Wizard in the group either (Not pointing to the player! just the class itself), it looked a bit janky and uninspired imo.

On that note I also figure most of this stuff is just place holder and is bound to change over time.

I wasn't impressed with the damage the Wizard was doing either but It was hard to gague from the group as a whole, I may just be getting critical as I really want to main a Wizard in Pantheon but my idea of a Wizard and the Dev teams idea of a Wizard might very well be two completely different things. (A Glass Canon that can be as dangerous to themself as they are too a mob comes to mind) :)

I think the Environment is beautiful! loving it and loving the wall climb feature, it screams adventure!

All in all I enjoyed the stream, the wipe was actually refreshing and gave a good sense of challenge. the streamer had no experience playing and it's what should have happened personally.

• 370 posts
    December 16, 2019 11:46 PM PST

It's early alpha so I'm trying not to be too hard here. The game looks good though. Honestly with where the graphics are at if it launched 6 or 7 years ago it would be considered a AAA title. That isn't meant to be a knock, I'm sure more improvements are coming, but considering where other games are normally at during Alpha I was pleasantly surprised. I hope the combat animations are improved though, they seemed  a little bland. I don't need aerobatics or anything just a little more diversity.

• 379 posts
    December 17, 2019 12:11 AM PST

Drauk4131 said:

I wasn't impressed with the damage the Wizard was doing either but It was hard to gague from the group as a whole, I may just be getting critical as I really want to main a Wizard in Pantheon but my idea of a Wizard and the Dev teams idea of a Wizard might very well be two completely different things. (A Glass Canon that can be as dangerous to themself as they are too a mob comes to mind) :)

The "tank" couldn't handle a 2-button threat rotation, so the wizard had to hold back on damage - therefore he couldn't always bring the thunder. I am sure wizards do the pew pew just fine.

• 500 posts
    December 17, 2019 6:33 AM PST

Jothany said:

Grymmlocke said:

As for the Bard comments... It was stated that they will launch with 12 classes.  The only one that leaves out is the Necro, and that has not been on the books for release for a long time.  However, I would like to see another CC class at some point. Just my 2cp

I'm sorry, you are mistaken. Bard is the 13th class, Necro 14th.

My bad. Rechecked the list I jotted down and seems I somehow left monk off of it. The pain meds I'm taking cause some lapses in focus at times. :)

• 97 posts
    December 17, 2019 11:36 AM PST

Any stream with Brasse in it makes it a thousand times more fun. The energy and enthusiasm and snarkiness she brings to the group is hilarious and refreshing. She's the kind of player I want to group with on a consistent basis. 

Graphics:
    • In general, they're beautiful and the attention to detail is stunning—like the icy parts of the walls and the shimmery surfaces to insinuate that they're slick. 
    • Anyone else notice Brasse's hair? It has strands that rise and fall around her head. Gorgeous.
    • The armor pieces are detailed and interesting. The super close-up look of the dwarf boss at the very end was awesome. 
    • The campfire was realistically beautiful, but I agree, I wish it would do damage to add depth and realism. 

Lighting:
    • The ambient lighting and the streams of light from the top is very pretty and the ominous fog gives a sense of mystery...and caution. 
    • I was a little disappointed that the light didn't really affect the characters as they moved through the cavern. They felt a little flat because light wasn't giving them depth as they turned around and moved. I understand that it's a dimly lit cave but the intensity of the light against their clothes and armor didn't fully match the light around them. I guess perhaps I'm looking for more shadow depth? I can't put my finger on it yet. 
    • Will spells eventually have ambient light? I was hoping for when the animation of their buffs went off that it would cause the person standing next to them to light up from their proximity. 

Movement:
    • Climbing was super cool and unexpected in this stream. So awesome. 
    • The characters movement felt better in this stream for some reason and felt more connected to the ground. Perhaps because this is uneven ground? However, movement still feels a little floaty as they walk/run. Almost like they're gliding rather than stepping. It feels like it needs more weight.

Spell Effects:
    • These are neat and interesting without being too splashy and overly dramatic. I think it's great to have this direction on normal use spells. However, I'm hoping the spell effects are much more dramatic with the longer cooldown spells where it's noticeably different and identifiable without saying what ability was even used. 
    • I love the healing animation with delineated light streams. It feels liquid and fluid and somehow appropriate for the class and ability. 
    • The fire from the wizard's hands and the addition of sparks is really great!!

Gameplay:
    • The pace of combat feels right and the caution the group must take to avoid adds and other treacherous things feels perfect. 
    • The clicking of abilities and their respective cooldowns feels normal and appropriate. 
    • The perception system is super cool and engaging but I can see how this could become monotonous after you've explored the area with groups before. I'm glad they're thinking of this and adding options around it.
    • I know this has been mentioned before but I'm hoping to see when you hover over a piece of armor in your inventory that it pulls up what you're currently wearing. Perhaps this is an option to turn on and off? 

Overall nice stream! Keep up the great work! Hope to see more of these with your progression to keep us engaged and conversational. 

This post was edited by Avaen at December 17, 2019 11:37 AM PST
    • 2038 posts
    December 17, 2019 12:42 PM PST

Grymmlocke said:

The pain meds I'm taking cause some lapses in focus at times. :)

When gaming or watching game streams, I eat one of these scrumptious chocolate brownies that I make. They have quite a similar effect :D

• 74 posts
    December 17, 2019 1:49 PM PST

Nobody missed the shaman's pet?
    I am very intrigued that it happens with the pets in the climbing
    can they climb?
    do they stay down waiting?
    when you get to the top, they appear alone above or you need to use some kind of spell to invoke the pet next to me

They may not stay down waiting if you do not give the order to stay on the site and look for another route they can climb (cho cho)

they may tend to remove the pet and invoke it again

• 99 posts
    December 20, 2019 4:09 PM PST

I just been wondering how you are supposed to time shield block if a stun messes up the attack timing from the enemy. At least thats what i saw in the stream. Or lets say an enemy is slowed. Will there be some way to see when a physical attack is gonna happen if you look at the enemy ? Didn see that in the stream.

• 291 posts
    December 20, 2019 4:13 PM PST

Hmm I always just "timed" the autoattack rounds, but it looks like these massive attacks will have a tell prior to being unleashed ala punch-out.

• 520 posts
    December 20, 2019 4:35 PM PST

Ondark said:

I just been wondering how you are supposed to time shield block if a stun messes up the attack timing from the enemy. At least thats what i saw in the stream. Or lets say an enemy is slowed. Will there be some way to see when a physical attack is gonna happen if you look at the enemy ? Didn see that in the stream.

I'm guessing that for ordinary mobs you'll learn the timing through trial and error and learning the monster - bosses will probably have a tell...

Elki said:

Nobody missed the shaman's pet?
    I am very intrigued that it happens with the pets in the climbing
    can they climb?
    do they stay down waiting?
    when you get to the top, they appear alone above or you need to use some kind of spell to invoke the pet next to me

They may not stay down waiting if you do not give the order to stay on the site and look for another route they can climb (cho cho)

they may tend to remove the pet and invoke it again

Holy guacamole! That's great question! I'd hope that summoners elemental pets would float near him while he climbs, humanoids charmed by enchanter would climb alongside him and animalistic companions would magically shrink and remain at their master shoulder while climbing!

This post was edited by Hegenox at December 20, 2019 4:47 PM PST