Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Travel, Teleportation and a story.

• 560 posts
    November 29, 2019 3:19 PM PST

Riahuf22 said:

Well the devs have already said their will be druid and wizard ports, which you can get from social interaction with others, we are talking more in lines of click on this rock here and instantly travel to the other side of a world, without actually doing anything at all.

From everything I have read over the last few years I love the direction the devs are going. It is the reason I pledged and will continue to be excited about the game.

• 8 posts
    November 29, 2019 6:28 PM PST
    @stellarmind

“i'll break it down even more. would lord of the rings still be the same of frodo was able to deliver the ring with easy travel?”

Daaaaaaaaamn
    • 1404 posts
    November 29, 2019 8:10 PM PST

Pantheon at launch is intended to be a large world with three continents. 

Even a single portal stone on each continent cuts the feel of the size of the world to 1/3 of what it could have been. More stones (as with PoP for example) reduces it even further. 

Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong or Dirk the Daring come to mind at that point, why even bother to call it a "World" and have connections between zones, just choose your zone from login.

• 20 posts
    November 29, 2019 8:16 PM PST

KatoKhan said:

Options options options.

Try not to pidgeon hole into one set ruleset. 

Variety is the spice of life.  Have it all but only let certain things happen in certain areas.

Its fine to say option option and option, lets say

option 1 : anyone can visit a town and bind the the teleport stone and later at any time for some token monetary cost teleport at any time (FF14 style)

option 2 : currenly know system druids and mages can discover teleport locations, and later teleprot themslvs and grup to known locatins (classic wow style)

option 3 : no teleports, run everywhere, use trasports that tajke time, like trains, ships, on a schedule you had tio walk too, wait for, and get on. Wait fo the travel to finish with other players time to talk, strategize and dream together

Now you might like option 3, i do too, especially inconjection with option 2. But if option 1 is an option im willing to bet that it will become the accepted, and only viable option. Even if you hate it, the thr mmbers of your group who use it are not going to wait around he half an hour or o it takes for you to get too a dungeon entry, when they have used the eaier option..  so i say never option 1.

This post was edited by MushyMel at November 29, 2019 8:19 PM PST
    • 768 posts
    November 29, 2019 9:56 PM PST

Mimic said:The impressiveness of coming from or getting to an area was gone. Short story long. I think teleporting is very boring. And without teleporting. It adds a lot more impressiveness to the gear you acquire from a far away land.

Like mentioned earlier, another thread has a very elaborate discussion relating to travel by druid portal and wizard portal.

There are many ways portals can be handled. Most common are portals that present an instant two way passages.

- But it doesn't have to be. You can have a portal that takes you out in the world or a portal that brings you near your home/civilized location.

- Portals can be interconnecting or 1 destination only.

- They can take you to your destination or the portal location itself can still be at a remote location where one still needs to invest traveltime.

- Portals can work lineair or a combination of other means of travel is needed in order to use 2 portals.

- They can be available all the time or less frequently or more access/use could demand more of the player.

- Casting portals could be very demanding or expensive in player choice (consider a possible restriction like 2 casts per day and it could have an impact already)

What we know from the class reveal and what the dev's said, still leaves a lot of room to be flexibel. I'll swing it back to you, according to you, how do you envision portals when considering playtime investment, availability, proximity and immersion. 

This post was edited by Barin999 at November 29, 2019 10:01 PM PST
    • 8 posts
    November 30, 2019 4:03 AM PST
    I remember getting this feeling like “oh **** there’s a wizard”. After I learned they could teleport people. Like Shaquille O’Neil walked in the door or something. I remember them charging prices to port people.

I think, that a very expensive item should be consumed for teleportation. Something a group would need to chip in together for. So at the very least you would have to wait until a few people chipped into a group to teleport somewhere.

Teleporting should cost time in another aspect of the game (rare drops from random maybe even named mobs. Difficult crafting plans from a rare drop.). Chances of fizzles. Chances of being teleported somewhere random if you aren’t skilled enough in teleportation.

Something. Anything other than poof. You’re here.
    • 1584 posts
    November 30, 2019 5:53 AM PST

Mimic said: I remember getting this feeling like “oh **** there’s a wizard”. After I learned they could teleport people. Like Shaquille O’Neil walked in the door or something. I remember them charging prices to port people. I think, that a very expensive item should be consumed for teleportation. Something a group would need to chip in together for. So at the very least you would have to wait until a few people chipped into a group to teleport somewhere. Teleporting should cost time in another aspect of the game (rare drops from random maybe even named mobs. Difficult crafting plans from a rare drop.). Chances of fizzles. Chances of being teleported somewhere random if you aren’t skilled enough in teleportation. Something. Anything other than poof. You’re here.

I like this, kind of like you needed to go to neriak but a regeant to go to Plave of Hate or Erudin to go to Plane of Sky, makes sense though i believe if they do this for all teleportation the prices of the regeant should be slightly reduced but still enough to be meaningful, as those regeant would be crazy expensive if it was for all teleports.

• 264 posts
    November 30, 2019 8:38 AM PST

Riahuf22 said:

Mimic said: I remember getting this feeling like “oh **** there’s a wizard”. After I learned they could teleport people. Like Shaquille O’Neil walked in the door or something. I remember them charging prices to port people. I think, that a very expensive item should be consumed for teleportation. Something a group would need to chip in together for. So at the very least you would have to wait until a few people chipped into a group to teleport somewhere. Teleporting should cost time in another aspect of the game (rare drops from random maybe even named mobs. Difficult crafting plans from a rare drop.). Chances of fizzles. Chances of being teleported somewhere random if you aren’t skilled enough in teleportation. Something. Anything other than poof. You’re here.

I like this, kind of like you needed to go to neriak but a regeant to go to Plave of Hate or Erudin to go to Plane of Sky, makes sense though i believe if they do this for all teleportation the prices of the regeant should be slightly reduced but still enough to be meaningful, as those regeant would be crazy expensive if it was for all teleports.

I also like this take on things. When EQ put in the Teleportation Stones in the Plane of Knowledge they effectivley Nerfed the dimension of Time itself. How do you have an adventure if you do not allow the time for it to develop. You cannot get into near as much trouble when your destination is handed to you. What if they nerfed another dimension and every thing was 2d flat, a tree would be a green smudge. We would be like an Amoba under a glass slide in a microscope. Instant Teleportation should be just short of Miraculous. Time needs to have a place.

• 1428 posts
    November 30, 2019 11:02 AM PST

starblight said:

So lesson learned if don’t want suggestions like

Syrif said:

or play an instanst-gratification game to suffice (there are plenty).

or

funny video about life lessons…(very entertaining by the way)

Make sure I clarify old EQ fast travel in the first post. I still hate the buggy, unpredicatable, crappy, boaring boats in EQ so maybe I would have gotten the same reaction :)

i mean no disrespect >.<  i've been pushed a bit on the extreme side recently to make my points.  i agree that traveling shouldn't be tolkien moss growing on a tree tedious.  there is a medium that can be agreed upon like caravan from city to city and a boat continent to continent.  portals i think function as fixed gateways.  it's a bit contentious if druids and wizards and pop a portal anywhere to any place, but i think its going to be a bit more linear.

@jothany thinking about the game is fine, but thinking about gamers is more important to me.  you see, i have a dream, that games aren't just entertainment, but a place where we can grow as living beings.  to improve one another without injust institutionalized systems!  where savages can roam free and civilization is naturally spawned and not forced with control!  a place where younglings are free to learn things of value!  you see i have a dream i have a dream!  i forget where i'm going with this... but it had to do with live and let die like a fanatical ember elf.  then include something like ashen elf way of 'live and let live' i need a speech writer when i run for president of faerthale... such a great dichotomy for a people.

@mimic that did come off a bit smug didn't it? >.<

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at November 30, 2019 11:03 AM PST