Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Travel, Teleportation and a story.

• 8 posts
    November 29, 2019 12:01 PM PST
    I came across someone in Felwithe in my first few hours of playing Everquest. He was obviously heavily geared so I asked where he got his gear. He told me where he came from. (I can’t quite remember the zone). I remember opening my EQ atlas I bought that day and found where he was talking about.. I remember being completely mind blown with how far away it was. And how impressive it was he traveled all that way. I couldn’t wait to find a way to get there.

PoP came out soon after. And teleporting to zones was introduced. (Forgive me if it had been introduced earlier it’s the first time I noticed it.). And just like that. The impressiveness of coming from or getting to an area was gone.

Short story long. I think teleporting is very boring. And without teleporting. It adds a lot more impressiveness to the gear you acquire from a far away land.

Anyone else have any strong opinions towards teleporting to zones? Anyone feel a difference between pre PoP and post? Or am I just being a weirdo? Lol cheers guys.
    • 1428 posts
    November 29, 2019 12:16 PM PST

Mimic said: I came across someone in Felwithe in my first few hours of playing Everquest. He was obviously heavily geared so I asked where he got his gear. He told me where he came from. (I can’t quite remember the zone). I remember opening my EQ atlas I bought that day and found where he was talking about.. I remember being completely mind blown with how far away it was. And how impressive it was he traveled all that way. I couldn’t wait to find a way to get there. PoP came out soon after. And teleporting to zones was introduced. (Forgive me if it had been introduced earlier it’s the first time I noticed it.). And just like that. The impressiveness of coming from or getting to an area was gone. Short story long. I think teleporting is very boring. And without teleporting. It adds a lot more impressiveness to the gear you acquire from a far away land. Anyone else have any strong opinions towards teleporting to zones? Anyone feel a difference between pre PoP and post? Or am I just being a weirdo? Lol cheers guys.

think of it like this:

availability, accessibility and acceptability are pretty big factors in supply and demand. 

if it is accessible, people with invest to procure the product.  if it is available, the procurer will drop prices to compete.  if the product is acceptable, then it'll retain it's value.

so you aren't crazy.  it's just the natural order of economics.  i have spoken.(damn you mandalorian)

• 8 posts
    November 29, 2019 12:53 PM PST
    I guess there are two types of demand. 1. Difficult bosses you can teleport to. 2. Difficult bosses you have to walk to.

#2 has more impressiveness for me. This is the way. (Damnit)
    • 1785 posts
    November 29, 2019 12:59 PM PST

I think you will find that most people in this community share your opinions on the "value" of easy, instantaneous travel.

• 291 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:08 PM PST

Mimic said: I came across someone in Felwithe in my first few hours of playing Everquest. He was obviously heavily geared so I asked where he got his gear. He told me where he came from. (I can’t quite remember the zone). I remember opening my EQ atlas I bought that day and found where he was talking about.. I remember being completely mind blown with how far away it was. And how impressive it was he traveled all that way. I couldn’t wait to find a way to get there. PoP came out soon after. And teleporting to zones was introduced. (Forgive me if it had been introduced earlier it’s the first time I noticed it.). And just like that. The impressiveness of coming from or getting to an area was gone. Short story long. I think teleporting is very boring. And without teleporting. It adds a lot more impressiveness to the gear you acquire from a far away land. Anyone else have any strong opinions towards teleporting to zones? Anyone feel a difference between pre PoP and post? Or am I just being a weirdo? Lol cheers guys.

The pok stones were one of if not the single biggest blunder in terms of what the world seemed like before versus what it became after. It was night and day before and after PoP. I hope no such thing is ever implemented in pantheon unless its never found until way after the fact (like the porters in TD).

• 1247 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:11 PM PST

The only time Everquest was good was when Brad/Verant were directly involved (ClassicEQ/Kunark/Velious). Anything after the trilogy was garbage, such as the PoK books you mention. Travel needs to be full and meaningful with depth, not instant-gratification. 

This post was edited by Syrif at November 29, 2019 1:15 PM PST
    • 1584 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:17 PM PST

Syrif said:

The only time Everquest was good was when Brad and Verant were directly involved (ClassicEQ/Kunark/Velious). Anything after the trilogy was garbage, such as the PoK books you mention. Travel needs to be full and meaningful with depth, not instant-gratification. 

This all the way, the moment you make traveling meaningless, everything else shortly follows, if anything has proved this looked at was a great game of EQ and slowly died and im sure insta teleportation had a something to do with it.

• 560 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:19 PM PST

When my girlfriend and I first started playing Vanguard we quickly ran into a someone we are still friend with today that invited us to his guild. After playing a little bit we, all decided to join the other guild members that were logged on at the time. We were told it was on another continent and would take some time. Now I am known to excaudate and it has been many years but let’s say 2-3 hours later we arrived were the rest of the guild was. We played for about 20-30 mins and they had to log off. Most never logged back in.

Now I also have travel stories that I would call good experiences but I have far more bad ones. Do I think travel is important? Sure, I do. But so is my time and the main reason I play games is to have fun and if I wanted to travel all day every day, I could play a trucking simulator.

• 8 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:28 PM PST
    I can’t figure out how to quote people on mobile yet. But I wasn’t aware Brad left before PoP that makes so much sense!

And trucking simulators are pretty addicting lol. I understand not wanting to travel that long. But wouldn’t the bragging rights after getting a gear after hours of travel be worth it to you? :P
    • 1247 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:41 PM PST

@Starblight My understanding is Pantheon is going to lean more in the direction of an immersive-world than just a “game.” It will be like anything else; you plan for your travel time. If you have little time in a session, then do something else in Pantheon at that moment or play an instanst-gratification game to suffice (there are plenty). Then when you do have more time, make the travel. It’s important to be mindful that Pantheon is looking more and more to be the alternative to mainstream. Instant travel/gratification are one of those things we would like to avoid here. 

This post was edited by Syrif at November 29, 2019 1:43 PM PST
    • 1428 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:44 PM PST

Syrif said:

@Starblight My understanding is Pantheon is going to lean more in the direction of an immersive-world than just a “game.” It will be like anything else, you plan for your travel time. If you have little time in a session, then do something else in Pantheon at that moment or play an instanst-gratification game to suffice (there are plenty). Then when you do have more time, make the travel. It’s important to be mindful that Pantheon is looking more and more to be the alternative to mainstream. Instant travel/gratification are one of those things we would like to avoid here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgKhXzcS70w&t=316s

• 560 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:47 PM PST

@Mimic

It could be one of the cool stories about traveling to get that rare item. I completely understand the travel is important position. I am just not sure I agree with the consequences. I would rather the traveling was fighting my way down a really large dungeon with a group of friends not traveling overland normally by one’s self to join a group and then get a piece of loot. I think what really worries me is travel that never ends. I mean traveling though the Karanas in EQ was fun the first time and that was it. After that it was well, boring. At some point all the low-level zones are no longer a threat and running though them is just a task, not a challenge. I have the same issue with Boats in EQ and Gryphon in WoW. It was just a time sync. I prefer my time syncs to be fun.

I will be happy if Pantheon has travel like the old EQ days. Even with portals you still had to travel. But the times you need to travel for over 30 mins are rare.

• 1428 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:49 PM PST

Mimic said: I guess there are two types of demand. 1. Difficult bosses you can teleport to. 2. Difficult bosses you have to walk to. #2 has more impressiveness for me. This is the way. (Damnit)

indeed.  such powerful old school values.  i get a lot of lone wolf and cub vibes man.

• 560 posts
    November 29, 2019 1:54 PM PST

@stellarmind

@Syrif

One of the things that confuses me is people seemed to like the old EQ. But it had teleportation form day one. I am not asking for instant gratification or instant travel I am asking for…. well EQ like travel. When did old school EQ become instant gratification? I just do not see a reason to make it harder to travel. I mean you could argue running is to instant of a gratification and force all player to walk. I mean really it is more realistic that way. No one can run for ever… (I do not think a fantasy game or any game should strive to be realistic in every way just trying to make a point)

It has to have a balance at some point.

• 1584 posts
    November 29, 2019 2:01 PM PST

starblight said:

When my girlfriend and I first started playing Vanguard we quickly ran into a someone we are still friend with today that invited us to his guild. After playing a little bit we, all decided to join the other guild members that were logged on at the time. We were told it was on another continent and would take some time. Now I am known to excaudate and it has been many years but let’s say 2-3 hours later we arrived were the rest of the guild was. We played for about 20-30 mins and they had to log off. Most never logged back in.

Now I also have travel stories that I would call good experiences but I have far more bad ones. Do I think travel is important? Sure, I do. But so is my time and the main reason I play games is to have fun and if I wanted to travel all day every day, I could play a trucking simulator.

Well the devs have already said their will be druid and wizard ports, which you can get from social interaction with others, we are talking more in lines of click on this rock here and instantly travel to the other side of a world, without actually doing anything at all.

• 1247 posts
    November 29, 2019 2:06 PM PST

stellarmind said:

Syrif said:

@Starblight My understanding is Pantheon is going to lean more in the direction of an immersive-world than just a “game.” It will be like anything else; you plan for your travel time. If you have little time in a session, then do something else in Pantheon at that moment or play an instanst-gratification game to suffice (there are plenty). Then when you do have more time, make the travel. It’s important to be mindful that Pantheon is looking more and more to be the alternative to mainstream. Instant travel/gratification are one of those things we would like to avoid here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgKhXzcS70w&t=316s

Stellar! Can always count on ya. <3 Excellent video - it is true. 

This post was edited by Syrif at November 29, 2019 2:24 PM PST
    • 1428 posts
    November 29, 2019 2:12 PM PST

starblight said:

@stellarmind

@Syrif

One of the things that confuses me is people seemed to like the old EQ. But it had teleportation form day one. I am not asking for instant gratification or instant travel I am asking for…. well EQ like travel. When did old school EQ become instant gratification? I just do not see a reason to make it harder to travel. I mean you could argue running is to instant of a gratification and force all player to walk. I mean really it is more realistic that way. No one can run for ever… (I do not think a fantasy game or any game should strive to be realistic in every way just trying to make a point)

i never played eq so i'm not sure what's going on there.  but i could tell you i've played skyrim and disabling fast travel changes the dynamics of gameplay quite a bit, especially when you add fluid weather that effects your play.

the point is going from a to b without all the issues of travel diminishes the value of a journey which is really unimmersive.

i mean sure it would be nice if i could easily travel to work without paying for gas or even think about traffic.

even simplier with public transportation in which i didn't have to buy a ticket or transfer trains.

i'll break it down even more.  would lord of the rings still be the same of frodo was able to deliver the ring with easy travel?

• 1247 posts
    November 29, 2019 2:18 PM PST

starblight said:

@stellarmind

@Syrif

Well, teleportation in Old EQ required immersive interaction with other players. Such portation was not always convenient or simple. There were other means of travel to aid such as SoW, wolf form, boat etc too.  It wasn’t click on a stone-thingy for instant travel. 

• 81 posts
    November 29, 2019 2:56 PM PST

Options options options.

Try not to pidgeon hole into one set ruleset. 

Variety is the spice of life.  Have it all but only let certain things happen in certain areas.

• 1247 posts
    November 29, 2019 2:59 PM PST

Let’s Spice it up! :)

(but with caution and care)

This post was edited by Syrif at November 29, 2019 3:03 PM PST
    • 2040 posts
    November 29, 2019 3:01 PM PST

stellarmind said:

i'll break it down even more.  would lord of the rings still be the same of frodo was able to deliver the ring with easy travel?

It would NEVER have been a trilogy! A short story, or a novella at best.

(I liked your vid, too)

Mimic said: 

I remember being completely mind blown with how far away it was. And how impressive it was he traveled all that way.

Totally agree. I love the idea of far away, exotic places that are truly difficult to get to. That you don't just 'commute' there and back regularly.

This post was edited by Jothany at November 29, 2019 3:01 PM PST
    • 560 posts
    November 29, 2019 3:02 PM PST

So lesson learned if don’t want suggestions like

Syrif said:

or play an instanst-gratification game to suffice (there are plenty).

or

funny video about life lessons…(very entertaining by the way)

Make sure I clarify old EQ fast travel in the first post. I still hate the buggy, unpredicatable, crappy, boaring boats in EQ so maybe I would have gotten the same reaction :)

This post was edited by Susurrus at November 29, 2019 3:03 PM PST
    • 1247 posts
    November 29, 2019 3:04 PM PST

Yeah, I meant for something to suffice in the meantime, but I get you.

• 291 posts
    November 29, 2019 3:07 PM PST

Syrif said:

The only time Everquest was good was when Brad/Verant were directly involved (ClassicEQ/Kunark/Velious). Anything after the trilogy was garbage, such as the PoK books you mention. Travel needs to be full and meaningful with depth, not instant-gratification. 

I agree. Garbage everywhere.

• 291 posts
    November 29, 2019 3:09 PM PST

None the less it was a response to the OP~