Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Some thoughts and questions after the September Newsletter

• 2419 posts
    September 25, 2019 11:22 AM PDT

vjek said:

Could also add Atmospheres/Evironments that scaled within the travel dimension, or were even added, dynamically, the longer you were there.

So, you could, for example, travel from one zone to another without too much trouble, but the farther you went, the stronger the Environment effect, and/or multiple environments.

Then druids and wizards could specialize in protecting their groups when traveling in the travel dimension, thus facilitating ease of use, but not being required (if you could open portals to it with consumables, at fixed locations, or whatever other thing).  Perhaps scorching and frigid were the most common, and they had scorching and frigid acclimation spells that were extremely effective in the travel dimension.

As it is an alternate dimension, Vacuum would be a good atmosphere/environment that you would face quite commonly.

• 191 posts
    September 25, 2019 11:36 AM PDT

It might be neat to have the type of environments differ as well as intensity.  Intensity of the environments could vary based on the relative level of the the origin and destination zones, and the type of environments encountered could depend on thematic elements of the zones; maybe related to color of mana or somesuch.

The more I think about this, the more I like it.  Hey Devs, check this out.

• 1428 posts
    September 25, 2019 11:37 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Barin999 said:

@Vandraad and @Stellarmind. Very nice path of thinking. It would be interesting indeed. How about loading time or time to load entities when players continously zone into this seperate pathway inbetween portal destinations? How can lag be mitigated or otherwise be kept low? I'm assuming players would want to run through very fast and are not that interested in seeing who else is running across this temporary zone. 

Interaction between players would not be possible in that zone? How about spell or other abilities cast, should it be possible?

The issue of load times/entities as well as player interaction was why my approach of 'The Ways' would be that for each entity, be that a group or an individual, taking that route goes into an isntanced version only for them.  The purpose of this dimension isn't for player interaction but as a quicker, but more dangerous, means by which to get from A to B.

i don't have the technical expertise to address loading time or lag XD  just thinking about my youth playing secret of mana when quick travel is done by shooting my character serveral thousand meters into the sky only to fall a very long way down to an exact desired destination doing a barrel roll to break the fall  ^_^  it's funny that there was no consequence.  as an adult, i understand that everything has a price even though there is little to no monetary cost.

i'm on board with a risk, but i'd like the results to be immediate and outside player influence.  taking the airplane reference, if something goes wrong during my flight, all i can really do is put my head between my a** and kiss it goodbye.  if i were smart enough, have a slow fall potion(parachute), but they don't allow that on planes.  thanks tsa.

it'd be pretty funny to have a battle with gravity(interdimensional mobs) to dictate the results of a mishap ala 'the ways' O_o

• 1921 posts
    September 25, 2019 12:17 PM PDT

Shai said:

It might be neat to have the type of environments differ as well as intensity.  Intensity of the environments could vary based on the relative level of the the origin and destination zones, and the type of environments encountered could depend on thematic elements of the zones; maybe related to color of mana or somesuch.

The more I think about this, the more I like it.  Hey Devs, check this out.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, based on where you leave from vs. where you're going, for environments you might experience on ingress/egress.  To vandraad's point, perhaps vacuum could be the ever-present baseline.. would drive a need for enduring breath / DMF type spells, songs, or consumables, then add to that the others that might be thematically consistent.
    Given t1-t3 glyphs are craftable, and spells are apparently going to offset T1-T3 environments at least a bit, it might be reasonable to have the Environmental detriments be T1-T3.  It certainly would require respecting the environment, with respect to fast travel.

If you wanted to go from a zone that featured a pressure environment (halnir?), to amberfaet, for example, you would experience pressure when you left, and cold when you arrived, and along the path, varying intensities of each, as you moved away from the pressure and towards the cold.  All the while, it being anaerobic.

I like the idea of integrating colored mana, presuming it could be gathered from each area/zone, and had a benefit for time spent in the travel dimension.

• 696 posts
    September 25, 2019 12:35 PM PDT

Darch said:

1.  Need to have visited the region before beign able to teleport to it.
    2.  Expensive "no trade" (and soul bound, so it doesn't have to be in your inventory in case of a corpse run) reagents for group teleports that are consumed upon successful travel - potentially even have the reagents purchased from a wiz/druid NPC in the destination (to circle back to point #1).

This would prevent trivialization as well as lower levels being able to skip content via a buddy.  The drawback of this is that Druid/Wiz will suffer from not being able to profit monetarily (as much) from teleporting.

I am cool with making teleporting harder to do. More money for me.

• 1247 posts
    September 25, 2019 1:16 PM PDT

Everything is looking good. The only reccomendation I have is making travel/teleportation harder.

• 1428 posts
    September 25, 2019 1:18 PM PDT

Watemper said:

Darch said:

1.  Need to have visited the region before beign able to teleport to it.
    2.  Expensive "no trade" (and soul bound, so it doesn't have to be in your inventory in case of a corpse run) reagents for group teleports that are consumed upon successful travel - potentially even have the reagents purchased from a wiz/druid NPC in the destination (to circle back to point #1).

This would prevent trivialization as well as lower levels being able to skip content via a buddy.  The drawback of this is that Druid/Wiz will suffer from not being able to profit monetarily (as much) from teleporting.

I am cool with making teleporting harder to do. More money for me.

i like this darch character.  too bad for me that i'll be playing on a pvp server =(

• 411 posts
    September 25, 2019 1:23 PM PDT

I like the idea of fleshing out the process of teleportation, but I don't like the concept of tying that into combat. If it's tied into combat, then how do you balance it? If you make it difficult, then some will find it prohibitive such that they will be locked out of teleportation. If you make it easy, then it will just be tedium for the majority of people?

I would lean towards a non-combat related challenge of some sort that encourages player interaction - like a party game in the void. Perhaps there's a maze where only the druid/wizard can see the solution and the "portees" need to be coordinated by their void-guide to make it through the gateway. If you fail or time out, then you're dumped back out at the entrance and you've lost the required teleportation reagent and some time.

Maybe the portee can see part of the puzzle and the druid/wizard can see the other part? Maybe the portee sees the whole solution, but the druid/wizard sees hazards that must be avoided (or the reverse)?

I also like the idea of tying teleportation into acclimation.

• 1428 posts
    September 25, 2019 1:39 PM PDT

Ainadak said:

I like the idea of fleshing out the process of teleportation, but I don't like the concept of tying that into combat. If it's tied into combat, then how do you balance it? If you make it difficult, then some will find it prohibitive such that they will be locked out of teleportation. If you make it easy, then it will just be tedium for the majority of people?

I would lean towards a non-combat related challenge of some sort that encourages player interaction - like a party game in the void. Perhaps there's a maze where only the druid/wizard can see the solution and the "portees" need to be coordinated by their void-guide to make it through the gateway. If you fail or time out, then you're dumped back out at the entrance and you've lost the required teleportation reagent and some time.

Maybe the portee can see part of the puzzle and the druid/wizard can see the other part? Maybe the portee sees the whole solution, but the druid/wizard sees hazards that must be avoided (or the reverse)?

I also like the idea of tying teleportation into acclimation.

right????? just better to skip to the results:

-edit ps forget to mention i'm not to keen on puzzles for travel(could get tedious)-  

1. safely teleported to desire location (if acclimation is good enough)

2. teleported by slightly of destination

3. teleported to location but enviroment death

4. teleported way off destination, but alive

5. teleported way off destination, but a horrible death (spawn inside rock, fall to your death, drown in the ocean, have your body parts teleported to different locations)

6. losing gear is a bit extreme so we'll go with breaking all your inventory(still repairable)

7. swap bodies with a gnome

8. become the guard's helmet for a minute

dunno there's alot of results that would be funny.

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at September 25, 2019 1:54 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    September 26, 2019 1:36 AM PDT

It would be excellent to add some interest and risk to teleportation so it doesn't become something mundane.

• 947 posts
    September 26, 2019 7:20 AM PDT

@Stellarmind - This will be the first game that I won't be playing on a PvP server in 20 years.  I have 2 small children now and don't have the time to dedicate in a game that is not designed for PvP.  I was also burned on EQ when playing on a PvP server for 7 years only to later allow PvE transfers to the PvP server and scrub players in full Plane of Time and Sleeper's gear being able to "barely" beat me only because their gear was far superior to mine because we couldn't even get into PoT yet.  

So perhaps 7 years from now I will see you on a PvP server ;)