Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In order for the pantheon to succeed , it must start anew.

• 139 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:41 PM PDT

I ask plainly, What was EverQuest in its day?

• It was one of the first virtual worlds. 
    • It required cutting edge graphics cards. 
    • It offered modern character customization.
    • It provided a novel means of meeting new people. 
    • It offered original challenging gameplay. 
    • It emulated the finest RPG systems of its time. 
    • It introduced a fresh approach to portraying a secondary world.

Pantheon is not that game. It has never been that game. The developers aren't pushing Pantheon to excel or be on the cutting edge. Unity can not create a modern everquest. Endeavouring to remake Everquest without taking substantial risks in enhancing the experience will not grant the experience like Everquest originally created. To thrive as a crowdfunded game, Pantheon’s features need to be seen as transformative to the genre, monetized and aggressively marketed. A version of Pantheon should have been released to the broader community, to showcase pre-order content - Swiftly delivering the promised content fostering: faith, trust, and loyalty in the project. Visionary Realms appears to have never had a business strategy causing the developers manoeuvrability to dwindle with each passing year.

How about we work out how to get a successor to everquest, and do it right this time?

• 226 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:56 PM PDT
    10 years mate. Why do you think after all this time they can magically right the ship? They are out of money. How do you propose they "get it right this time?" without money?
    • 146 posts
    October 30, 2023 4:06 PM PDT
    I think this post has a bit of rose-colored glasses perspective, while not acknowledging some of the features of Pantheon. EQ wasn't the first MMO to do any of those things. If the argument is that it was one of the first, that's unfair since the term MMORPG wasn't even 5 years old then and everything in the genre was novel.

As for transformative features in Pantheon, the biggest one I can think of is dispositions. No MMO I can think of has this system. Add in the challenge increase over all modern mmo's for normal mobs, and it's going to be game changing. Climbing is another feature not found in most other MMO's, and is usually made pointless in those that have it when flying mounts are inevitably introduced.
    • 139 posts
    October 30, 2023 4:56 PM PDT

[Sweety]  I seek  a successor to EQ; we should consider alternatives, like a community-made Kickstarter.

[Feastycentral] Don't forget how groundbreaking EQ was in '99 and the amount of  risk taken on the project. It had numerous features modern for its times. Star Citizen is today's everquest, it's groundbreaking. Dispositions and Climbing, though moving in the right direction, have a modest influence on the game's  transformative nature. 

The main problem with Pantheon was its failure to offer a vision to ignite enthusiasm among the masses.

• 252 posts
    October 30, 2023 5:06 PM PDT
    Doford said: [Sweety] I seek a successor to EQ; we should consider alternatives, like a community-made Kickstarter. [Feastycentral] Don't forget how groundbreaking EQ was in '99 and the amount of risk taken on the project. It had numerous features modern for its times. Star Citizen is today's everquest, it's groundbreaking. Dispositions and Climbing, though moving in the right direction, have a modest influence on the game's transformative nature. The main problem with Pantheon was its failure to offer a vision to ignite enthusiasm among the masses.
    This one started with a kickstarter. Good luck selling that to this community.
    • 3852 posts
    October 30, 2023 5:21 PM PDT
    Start anew? After 10 years? Nope - their best hope was to race towards release with what they already had and that would have had to start years ago.
    • 2419 posts
    October 30, 2023 5:53 PM PDT

dorotea said: Start anew? After 10 years? Nope - their best hope was to race towards release with what they already had and that would have had to start years ago.

Exactly this. VR cannot start over because they have done that once with the world refactor and once with the art style change.  Their potential playerbase will not accept yet another refactor.

Doford said:

How about we work out how to get a successor to everquest, and do it right this time?

Daybreak has stated they are going to start development of EQ3 in late 2024/early 2025 so start following that one because it's going to be your only option at this point.  Pantheon was never intended, nor sold as, a successor to Everquest.  It was sold as a return to the classical, slower and less hand-holding approach to gameplay.  People just assumed that because Brad was attached to Pantheon it must be the next EQ.

• 3852 posts
    October 30, 2023 7:44 PM PDT
    I am not holding my breath - heck at my age I don't buy green bananas - but Daybreak just said they were considering the possibility of doing this in a year or two. The quote I saw stopped way short of saying they would do it. Unless something is new.
    • 226 posts
    October 30, 2023 7:56 PM PDT
    There is a follow up video from the CEO of EG7, who owns the EQ IP, he was very clear that they have not committed to making EQ3, but clear about what it would look like if they decide to. He also said that if they do go forward, they are targeting a 2028 release. He reiterated that no decision has been made.

Fingers crossed though.