Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Can Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Still Succeed?

• 226 posts
    October 31, 2023 12:07 AM PDT
    lotuss79 said:
    Sweety, i would suggest they don’t actually have win the lottery, or even get significant new funding, to finish the game.

This will seem draconian, but they worked pro bono on the game in the beginning because they believed in it. They could just do that now because they believe in it.

They have no real hard costs. They all work from home.
    The VR “Executives” and “Directors” contribute precisely nothing to building out this game.
    They have a freeking HR department. Who are they fooling?
    No offices, no rent. They don’t have to source raw materials to build a physical product of any kind.

Cohh pointed this out. They just need to put in the actual hours of hard work required to build the game.

Sacrifice now to have a chance at a future.
    Get 8000+ Alpha pledgers in and gain some traction again.
    Because no one in their right mind is going to give them money for their new “vision”.

This is a very good point. And it hits home for me. I don’t know anything about making a video game. But I do know about making software. I do it for a living. Many years ago I worked for a small start up company. No office, crap pay, and lots of hard work. But you know what they gave me? Equity. And we sold the company a few years later and we all had a very nice payday. This is how I bought my first house.

I didn’t realize VR, was doing the “start-up” thing. I thought that was unique to Silicone Valley, where I work. But if so, you’re right .. GET TO WORK!
    • 752 posts
    October 31, 2023 1:18 AM PDT
    I don’t see why everyone is upset. I really don’t. 247 mode to me is basically an open ended mission from modern EQ1. You get to mess around on a timed event with an overarcing faction reward schema. Sounds fun. With this being in development and never had certain mechanics and we are upset with the an outcome, any outcome? Not me. I am happy choices were made and there is a playable version. I would pay to play it if i had more money.

Art style? Hand drawn is just fine. Look at Zelda Breath of the Wild and sequel and tell me hand drawn can’t have ominous overtones. And lets be real this is basically gonna be an MMO with heavy Zelda BOTW influence. So it is a no brainer they went with a more timeless style that can weather time. I felt like the placeholder style was going into the far too realistic uncanny valley. Players would eventually nitpick every little thing with movement if they went with full realism. How would the fingers look when grabbing the sword while climbing and swinging at a spider. You want them to hire motion capture team and get super realistic? And inflate the budget and development costs? For what? An art direction that had no direction? Look at EQ1 it has a mix of really really bad old art and some really bad new art. People accept and move on because they like the game and its playable.

I fully accept all the updates and i am super excited to play whatever game this team puts out. Thats the decision i made when i pledged. I will be quitting EQ1 for this game. My mind has been made up for years now.

Keep up the good work team.
    • 3237 posts
    October 31, 2023 4:44 AM PDT

Valorous1 said: I wish I could tell VR to just focus on releasing new zones and the races/classes and their skills/abilities. If they were to incrementally release videos on JUST those two things, I swear they would see in uptick in revenue, popularity, Likes/Shares, positive community feedback and more. Leave out all the systems, dungeons, raids, questing until way later.

Some of us have been telling them that for years.  They have other ideas.

• 273 posts
    October 31, 2023 4:51 AM PDT
    Prevenge said: A playable product, stripped down holds far more interest to me than 247. Do people not agree with that?

All you have to do is look at Embers Adrift and the multitude of other projects that die prematurely in early access to see that people do not agree with that.

The only way for Pantheon to succeed at this point is to release the complete and (mostly) polished product they promised.
    This post was edited by eunichron at October 31, 2023 4:58 AM PDT
    • 167 posts
    October 31, 2023 5:40 AM PDT
    eunichron said:
    Prevenge said: A playable product, stripped down holds far more interest to me than 247. Do people not agree with that?

All you have to do is look at Embers Adrift and the multitude of other projects that die prematurely in early access to see that people do not agree with that.

The only way for Pantheon to succeed at this point is to release the complete and (mostly) polished product they promised.

Not sure how that has anything to do with the 247 vs go to alpha argument? Also it's very clear based on the responses in this forum that people very much prefer an alpha to 247.

Unless you specifically mean as a fully launched game. But even then, no one prefers an extraction 247 game to a simpler, stripped down version of Pantheon, I know that from the responses in these forums and Reddit, too.
    This post was edited by Prevenge at October 31, 2023 5:41 AM PDT
    • 167 posts
    October 31, 2023 6:00 AM PDT
    kreed99 said:
    I don’t see why everyone is upset. I really don’t. 247 mode to me is basically an open ended mission from modern EQ1. You get to mess around on a timed event with an overarcing faction reward schema. Sounds fun. With this being in development and never had certain mechanics and we are upset with the an outcome, any outcome? Not me. I am happy choices were made and there is a playable version. I would pay to play it if i had more money.

Art style? Hand drawn is just fine. Look at Zelda Breath of the Wild and sequel and tell me hand drawn can’t have ominous overtones. And lets be real this is basically gonna be an MMO with heavy Zelda BOTW influence. So it is a no brainer they went with a more timeless style that can weather time. I felt like the placeholder style was going into the far too realistic uncanny valley. Players would eventually nitpick every little thing with movement if they went with full realism. How would the fingers look when grabbing the sword while climbing and swinging at a spider. You want them to hire motion capture team and get super realistic? And inflate the budget and development costs? For what? An art direction that had no direction? Look at EQ1 it has a mix of really really bad old art and some really bad new art. People accept and move on because they like the game and its playable.

I fully accept all the updates and i am super excited to play whatever game this team puts out. Thats the decision i made when i pledged. I will be quitting EQ1 for this game. My mind has been made up for years now.

Keep up the good work team.

I know where you're coming from. If they would have announced 247 before they even started working on it, it would have been well received. They even could have charged a small fee for people coming in to try it and people would have been happy to get to try a small portion of the game without having to spend 350USD and higher for alpha + packages.

In the past VR was always about building this game with community feedback, showing off what they were working on, asking the community about their feedback and making changes to the PA based on that feedback. They went dark, ignored everyone for the most part and then came out of that silence, blind sided everyone first with a graphics change and then with a new game mode leak that no one outside of NDA saw coming.

It was poorly planned and poorly executed and easily avoided by open communication about these things from the start.
    • 31 posts
    October 31, 2023 8:10 AM PDT
    lotuss79 said:
    Sweety, i would suggest they don’t actually have win the lottery, or even get significant new funding, to finish the game.

This will seem draconian, but they worked pro bono on the game in the beginning because they believed in it. They could just do that now because they believe in it.

The VR “Executives” and “Directors” contribute precisely nothing to building out this game.
    No offices, no rent. They don’t have to source raw materials to build a physical product of any kind.

Cohh pointed this out. They just need to put in the actual hours of hard work required to build the game.

Because no one in their right mind is going to give them money for their new “vision”.

I don't chime in on this forum much, and I have expressed my disappointment with VRs decisions before. This one caught my eye, as I see this sort of inaccurate information being tossed around. I've worked in AAA as a engineer for a decade, I can tell you from both pairs of shoes there's no such thing as "no real hard costs". Everything is on borrowed time if you're trying to make a game, even from your home. I can go into detail about how hard it is for indie devs to do this (in fact I wrote it all out, then deleted it), but to be blunt...VR isn't "indie". They have funding, and much more than a traditional indie team.

What they don't have is a completed and released game, and so they have no income. Eventually funding runs out, and people really don't work for free. Everything has a cost, even from your savings, and your savings wont last you long at all. Saying "sacrifice now to have a chance at a future" is something they very likely already did, and now have to throw a "Hail Mary" with 247 to try and get some funds in to keep going. I don't envy the position they are in, and I'm also very familiar with it. It's a tough spot, mistakes were probably made, and games are extremely difficult to produce. Sounds like they're pretty much broke, and likely already aware that funding isn't coming.

Tangentially anyone with a company probably has a point of contact for "HR". Likewise "Executive" or "Director" are just titles, but saying they contribute nothing is silly. Yes, usually these people don't do the brunt of the work building the game, but they also are probably highly involved in management of the company. It's not easy to do all the legalese, hiring, contracts, payments, marketing, and so on. This stuff takes a lot of work, talking to a lot people. If the development team had to do it all, it would be a big mess, and more work than they are able to do.

Anyway, I didn't go into cost specifics, and I don't plan to. You'll just have to take my word for it...the overhead is there even if it doesn't seem like it.
    This post was edited by benty at October 31, 2023 8:11 AM PDT
    • 185 posts
    October 31, 2023 11:37 AM PDT
    Benty, outside of renting servers, the occasional booth at a convention, and promotional materials, im sure they do have some hard costs im not considering, those things have a way of adding up.
    But of the $6m or do they have confirmed raising, how much do we seriously think went to those things vs salaries? (its nearly all salaries)

I don’t have any experience running AAA game studios, but i do have plenty of experience running a regular business and i know what costs money, any just as importantly what doesn’t.

Putting in a late night to meet a deadline and move a project forward is absolutely free.
    Business of all kinds have to do that regularly.
    How many stories have we heard about Facebook employees etc working extra hours with no pay to make an idea a reality then reap the profits after their hard work is done?

VRs most prominent investor, who has been streaming and promoting the game for Years, ended with a twitter post imploring the team to “buckle down and finish the game”.

Reasonable people who invested in this project can look at whats going on and know that the devs are not “dedicated professionals” who have been “hard at work” on this game.
    Im not sure how much sympathy we owe them at this point. It seems like they have been paid in full.
    • 226 posts
    October 31, 2023 11:38 AM PDT
    benty said:
    lotuss79 said:

I don't chime in on this forum much, and I have expressed my disappointment with VRs decisions before. This one caught my eye, as I see this sort of inaccurate information being tossed around. I've worked in AAA as a engineer for a decade, I can tell you from both pairs of shoes there's no such thing as "no real hard costs". Everything is on borrowed time if you're trying to make a game, even from your home. I can go into detail about how hard it is for indie devs to do this (in fact I wrote it all out, then deleted it), but to be blunt...VR isn't "indie". They have funding, and much more than a traditional indie team.

What they don't have is a completed and released game, and so they have no income. Eventually funding runs out, and people really don't work for free. Everything has a cost, even from your savings, and your savings wont last you long at all. Saying "sacrifice now to have a chance at a future" is something they very likely already did, and now have to throw a "Hail Mary" with 247 to try and get some funds in to keep going. I don't envy the position they are in, and I'm also very familiar with it. It's a tough spot, mistakes were probably made, and games are extremely difficult to produce. Sounds like they're pretty much broke, and likely already aware that funding isn't coming.

Tangentially anyone with a company probably has a point of contact for "HR". Likewise "Executive" or "Director" are just titles, but saying they contribute nothing is silly. Yes, usually these people don't do the brunt of the work building the game, but they also are probably highly involved in management of the company. It's not easy to do all the legalese, hiring, contracts, payments, marketing, and so on. This stuff takes a lot of work, talking to a lot people. If the development team had to do it all, it would be a big mess, and more work than they are able to do.

Anyway, I didn't go into cost specifics, and I don't plan to. You'll just have to take my word for it...the overhead is there even if it doesn't seem like it.

I have lived this. Have you ever seen the sitcom Silicone Valley? It's a huge exaggeration, but the premise is correct. When you work for a start-up software company, which I have multiple times, you don't have HR, you don't have an office, you don't have money for anything extra. Before you get any real funding you are just working on a promise that if the company takes off, you will get a huge pay day.

Before becoming an executive, early in my career, I worked for several small companies ranging from 4 people to 30. After about 20 people, is when you start thinking about forming real positions. If you have funding from a large Venture Capital, you use their HR and their book keepers. Otherwise, when you have 5 people, your books suck, you don't care about HR or benefits. It's just code, code and more code. Then sales, sales and more sales until you are profitable, or someone buys your company (which was my goal). Thats the game. Thats how it's works. I have done it and failed, I have done it and succeeded.

I don't know anything about VR, but if they are as small as it appears, they should have very low overhead for game coding. They obviously have to spend on Sales & Marketing. But as far as other costs, they need to be cut. People should be sacrificing for equity. I would guess that is how they started out, then as pledges increased, they probably increased salaries. Which is a huge mistake. Though, they also probably didn't expect to be in pre-alpha after 10 years. LoL
    This post was edited by Sweety at October 31, 2023 11:40 AM PDT
    • 102 posts
    October 31, 2023 4:55 PM PDT
    I see the idea of allowing pre-alpha access with a subscription floating around in order to keep funding going. The problem with this as Joppa stated is that even when it was 24 hours a month, they could not create content fast enough to keep up with the player base. Imagine players having access 24/7? You run the risk of people getting upset, proclaiming why are we paying a monthly sub for no content, forgetting why they are actually funding the game to begin with. That seems self evident when Joppa explained majority of testers were interested in simply playing the game as if it were a full release game rather than doing specific tests of specific areas at specific levels with specific gear, etc. Which to me sounds like a lot of fun. Testing dungeons, trying to break the game, testing classes and class synergies.

I do agree with removing the extra features and mechanics that can be added later and do not effect overall gameplay. Get the core of the game built. I suppose I don't know much about developing a video game. But watching the development over the years, it seemed like a lot of hunting and pecking at different aspects of the game at various intervals. With such a small team, I can't imagine spreading attention so thin would be conducive to development. I suppose maybe it was because the skillsets were varied on the team and you couldn't have every dev on the team heads down focus on creating all race models until completion before moving on to the next project for example.

Anyways, I'm beginning to meander. I don't know if 247 is the answer, I suppose we'll find out if they don't come up with a better idea to generate funding. BTW I'm not fond of that naming convention as it seems disingenuous, but I suppose that's neither here nor there at this point. Hopefully, someone thinks outside of the box and finds a way to blend pre-alpha testing access with the extraction game.

Hey, maybe put an arena (maybe instanced) in a pre-alpha zone that flags you for PVP to test your newfound gear from PVE content (dungeon/crafting), or just to kill each other if content to do runs out. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc. Perhaps capture the flag arenas...battlegrounds type stuff. I know Joppa is averse to this, but just leave it out of the main game. Its sole purpose would be to entertain players in pre-alpha when they blow through all the available content.
    • 167 posts
    October 31, 2023 6:07 PM PDT
    Brutenga said:
    I see the idea of allowing pre-alpha access with a subscription floating around in order to keep funding going. The problem with this as Joppa stated is that even when it was 24 hours a month, they could not create content fast enough to keep up with the player base. Imagine players having access 24/7? You run the risk of people getting upset, proclaiming why are we paying a monthly sub for no content, forgetting why they are actually funding the game to begin with. That seems self evident when Joppa explained majority of testers were interested in simply playing the game as if it were a full release game rather than doing specific tests of specific areas at specific levels with specific gear, etc. Which to me sounds like a lot of fun. Testing dungeons, trying to break the game, testing classes and class synergies.

I do agree with removing the extra features and mechanics that can be added later and do not effect overall gameplay. Get the core of the game built. I suppose I don't know much about developing a video game. But watching the development over the years, it seemed like a lot of hunting and pecking at different aspects of the game at various intervals. With such a small team, I can't imagine spreading attention so thin would be conducive to development. I suppose maybe it was because the skillsets were varied on the team and you couldn't have every dev on the team heads down focus on creating all race models until completion before moving on to the next project for example.

Anyways, I'm beginning to meander. I don't know if 247 is the answer, I suppose we'll find out if they don't come up with a better idea to generate funding. BTW I'm not fond of that naming convention as it seems disingenuous, but I suppose that's neither here nor there at this point. Hopefully, someone thinks outside of the box and finds a way to blend pre-alpha testing access with the extraction game.

Hey, maybe put an arena (maybe instanced) in a pre-alpha zone that flags you for PVP to test your newfound gear from PVE content (dungeon/crafting), or just to kill each other if content to do runs out. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc. Perhaps capture the flag arenas...battlegrounds type stuff. I know Joppa is averse to this, but just leave it out of the main game. Its sole purpose would be to entertain players in pre-alpha when they blow through all the available content.

That part of what Joppa said bothers me. Why are they worried about creating content fast enough to keep people going when it's in pre-alpha? It's VR's pre-alpha, they should be clearly stating that "These are the things we've made ready for you testers, these are the things we want you to test for the next 2/3/4/5 weeks"

PA and alpha aren't supposed to be about getting in and just having fun. You can certainly HAVE fun, but you're there to help them test things and build the game. I'm not part of PA, so maybe that's exactly what they tell the PA testers, but if it is, why is he worried about that?

Work through a certain aspect of the game, load it up, get it tested. Move to the next. A relentless march forward through as much work as possible, reminding the PA testers that they are there to help test the game, not just play Pantheon.

I am strongly in the "remove extras until later" camp. I'm not a fan at all of the acclimation system, I'm not going to sugar coat it either. I think it's a terrible idea with no purpose other than to time gate people.

I DO like the idea of zones having weather effects that stop you from going into them, but just have certain classes able to buff their parties/friends/random passerby's, so that they have the ability to enter that zone. One of the greatest things about EQ was the buffing community and still is, to this day and always will be.

Make that in Pantheon. Make use of a zone you can only climb 3/4s of the way with a decent climbing skill and then it's a sheer unclimbable ice cliff - make it so only a rogue with dual climbing daggers, can get up to a certain point so the whole "drop rope" skill is required for a group to get up. Make the druid bridge that was discussed an absolute requirement to get over a large outcrop of thorns that is unclimbable. Make an impassable portal that only a wizard who researched a certain spell can dispel and open "Every surface is climbable" cool, I like it. Now make some that aren't.

As for how they manage their time, I really can't speak to this as I have no idea how it works.

However as for developing the core game and getting to launch and adding the rest in later. Absolutely. Yes, please. I've seen this comment 1000 times. People like this idea. No one is saying abandon all of the projects that VR can't do without in Pantheon, just include them a little later.

I also think they should get back to creating content that people want to see on streams. We want to see the world. The classes. Weapons and armor. Spell effect, animation updates, more Cohh streams, anything that makes for an enjoyable video to watch and helps rebuild the public's vision of Pantheon. With all the other systems out of the way, you'd be able to focus and work through all of the actual world/class/game building quicker.

More than anything I just wish they'd open up and be honest 100% of the time. I tune out to PR speak, I can't listen to it, my brain doesn't care. People underestimate how effective it is to just speak honestly and bluntly to whatever topic you are discussing. They think they can't do it because of what someone might think, well guess what, someone is going to respect you for speaking bluntly and honestly a lot more than they will if you PR speak at them and twist your words, to fit whatever narrative you think people NEED to hear.
    • 42 posts
    November 5, 2023 9:00 AM PST

My thoughts on what must be done to (perhaps) save the game.

1) This is priority.  Restore the trust of backers. If Pantheon could more or less chug forwards during these last 9 years it was only and exclusively thanks to those who pledged. As it is now, the pledgers have in their majority (if I judge by the reactions on the forums and social media) either become indifferent or lost trust in the team. VR must start by a poll mailing EVERY single pledger asking them their opinion about the latest developments (e.g graphics and 247) and publish transparently the results. One thing should be clear - if at least 90% of the pledgers are not actively on board then the game is dead. It is not only necessary for the current crisis but also and even more when/if the game releases because the crushing majority of the players will be the pledgers and fans of EQ/Vanguard. It is they who did and will do the PR (and for free !) if the game is what they have been promised. Without them the game will probably be a ghost town.

2) Hire a professional project manager with MMO experience. His first task will be to answer one single question : "With realistic assumptions about the human ressources (paid and volunteers) what is the scope of the game that can be finished within a reasonable time frame , e.g 2 or 3 years ?" Once this question answered, fire everybody who doesn't contribute to this target and temporarily cut off everything that can't be done with the realistically assumed ressources. That means to put races, classes, zones and mechanisms like climate and perception on the chopping block. Give the project manager the veto right on any and every attempt to complexify, add, enhance or change features unless additional ressources are provided for. Fire everybody who does not proactively collaborate on the only common sense target  e.g "We can only do what we have ressources for"

3) If the realistically assumed ressources cannot lead to a playable game with Brad's Vision within the next 3 years, stop the development and be open about it with your pledgers. If it is possible, establish a project plan with expansion releases which will gradually add the races, classes, zones and mechanisms cut off during the point 2. Communicate transparently about this plan.

• 102 posts
    November 5, 2023 12:47 PM PST
    I'm not sure there is enough staff to fire and still be able to produce a game embarassed shew, mailing every pledger and gauging the opinions of each, then internalizing and posting each result would be an insurmountable task for a dev team of this size. That is the beauty of the forums and Discord. We can suggest whatever we want, but in the end we wait and watch the team do whatever it is they are planning to do and execute on.
    • 80 posts
    November 5, 2023 5:04 PM PST
    lutorin said:

My thoughts on what must be done to (perhaps) save the game.

1) This is priority. Restore the trust of backers. If Pantheon could more or less chug forwards during these last 9 years it was only and exclusively thanks to those who pledged. As it is now, the pledgers have in their majority (if I judge by the reactions on the forums and social media) either become indifferent or lost trust in the team. VR must start by a poll mailing EVERY single pledger asking them their opinion about the latest developments (e.g graphics and 247) and publish transparently the results. One thing should be clear - if at least 90% of the pledgers are not actively on board then the game is dead. It is not only necessary for the current crisis but also and even more when/if the game releases because the crushing majority of the players will be the pledgers and fans of EQ/Vanguard. It is they who did and will do the PR (and for free !) if the game is what they have been promised. Without them the game will probably be a ghost town.

2) Hire a professional project manager with MMO experience. His first task will be to answer one single question : "With realistic assumptions about the human ressources (paid and volunteers) what is the scope of the game that can be finished within a reasonable time frame , e.g 2 or 3 years ?" Once this question answered, fire everybody who doesn't contribute to this target and temporarily cut off everything that can't be done with the realistically assumed ressources. That means to put races, classes, zones and mechanisms like climate and perception on the chopping block. Give the project manager the veto right on any and every attempt to complexify, add, enhance or change features unless additional ressources are provided for. Fire everybody who does not proactively collaborate on the only common sense target e.g "We can only do what we have ressources for"

3) If the realistically assumed ressources cannot lead to a playable game with Brad's Vision within the next 3 years, stop the development and be open about it with your pledgers. If it is possible, establish a project plan with expansion releases which will gradually add the races, classes, zones and mechanisms cut off during the point 2. Communicate transparently about this plan.

They can win back all the pledges they want but unless pledges drastically raise their standards, we'll end up with the same low quality product in the end. Benefit of the doubt is reserved for projects < 10 years old. At this point no poll, memo or press release should be enough to restore your faith. Only undeniable results.

Agree completely with #2.

And I can't even imagine how long it will take this team to release an expansion. They should probably worry about a playable alpha first. I do agree they are in desperate need of accountability. People will threaten to quit as soon as you enforce this but then you know who the weak links are.
    • 167 posts
    November 6, 2023 5:50 AM PST
    I'm not sure that I can agree with the statement that the game is going to fail unless pledgers raise their standards. I think the community has made it 100% perfectly clear that they 1. Are not happy with the art style change overall and 2. If proceeding, it needs to really come up in maturity level.

VR has heard this and it's clear to see from the screenshots that they are trying to do so. Yes most of those pictures are at night and it's much easier to achieve this effect at night. But at this point we need to give them some time to work on these suggestions.

There's a good post about the graphics style changes where Chenzeme pointed out a lot of what people are seeing as lacking and VR has confirmed that it's the same feedback the testers are giving. I have no idea how far they can take the hand painted art style, back in the direction of more realistic/darker/grittier art, but I think at this point we need to wait and see what they are capable of.

I also think they should let alpha testers into 247 immediately. Remove as much NDA as possible. The game could use some positive light. Perhaps players who enjoy 247 will be the ones to actually beam a ray of hope back onto Pantheon.

Part of the problem is that they make poor decisions on what to show the public and when to show the public. The art style change video was about the worst possible way you could possibly come up with, to reveal a major graphics overhaul. The 247 video was a quick clip of minus killing a couple single monsters, during the day time, it was probably some of the most boring content they've ever posted. Either it IS the most boring content in the world, or they should have made a video showcasing some group play, some clips of killing a boss, equipping a cool looking piece of armor, a group cheering after defeating a dungeon boss and getting to the extraction portal just in time. Any idea in this vein, would have made it seem more fun and appealing.
    This post was edited by Prevenge at November 6, 2023 5:53 AM PST
    • 83 posts
    November 6, 2023 6:31 AM PST
    In the last couple of weeks we've seen content creators and various individuals in the community stating that VR is incompetent as game developers and that this game will likely not launch.
    I think it is useful to highlight the most noticeable achievements VR has accomplished in the past since, it can help to put things in perspective, to assess the current situation with more clarity and to reflect on the future.
    Source references at the end of this post.

The past

Code refactor
    In 2020 VR realized their current game-build had served its purpose has a prototype to show they were capable of developing the game [6]. So they started performing the code refactor to make the game-build more performant and scalable since the previous build had too much hard-coded logic in it. I am no game developer, but I know a bit of software development from a professional standpoint. This is a fairly common practice in SW development for a company trying to make something that is intended to be different/novel from what's already on offer in whatever particular SW industry you are in. Consequently, post refactor, the game became more perfomant and scalable [11]

Network stack (ViNL)
    Some years ago VR realized Unity's network stack did not have the features needed for an MMORPG with the scale VR was targeting. So they decided to developed their own. Also, they realized that this made them the owners of the best network stack technology for MMOs currently available for Unity devs, and that opens a source of revenue for them [7]. This tells me that, not only do they have the technical know-how to produce a competent network library(I've worked with distributed systems before. This is very, very complex expertise), but also that VR has business sense.

VR staff
    Throughout the years VR has had multiple employees come in, work for a few months or years give their contribution and then leave. But, in the last 3 years we've all witnessed a steady growth and stability of their staff, particularly in the art department. But also in other departments. Even content creator Renfail, despite his glee when the leaks came out and his lies regarding Joppa being the only full-time developer, acknowledged in [2] that Steve Clover' hire was a major win for VR, which gave them a "Snowball's Chance".

Art style
    Regarding the change in the art-style, the team had to adapt to the the reality that the budget available is not enough to compete in the graphical department. I'm not crazy about the art style, but the trade-off seems to be worth it, since now the client-build performs much better and it's much faster to deploy the art assets into to the game-world. If you think about it Pantheon was never about graphics anyway, but much more about what is outlined in the tenets. That's what I mostly care about, personally.
    If you look at the initial pictures of the new art style you would not be amazed. I wasn't.
    e.g: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/media/#screenshots-4
    However, the picture above seems like it was part of the initial iteration of the art-style. Later, they introduced meteorological and lighting effects which added another layer of immersiveness.
    e.g. https://www.pantheonmmo.com/media/#screenshots-14
    Clearly there's a difference. But can it become even better? Honestly, I don't know. But given that the improvement illustrated above was made in a span of 2 weeks (I think) I'm inclined to believe it can in fact become a more immersive visual experience.
    As Therek mentioned in the latest PantheonPlus episode[4] - I think this can grow on me.

The leaks and MPR
    This would not be a fair assessment of VRs past, if I did not talk about MPR's performance prior to the leaks, and in reaction to them. So let's get started.
    Prior to the October producer letter I heavily criticized MPR, both on discord and on the forums, for their lack of game showcases and truly informative written articles. Joppa stated(you can look it up by performing a search in their discord server) on the 17th of October that VR needed to focus 100% on the development front, as this was crucial at that point in time. This is tricky, you see, because from an external perspective: no information = no trust and no trust = no pledges. But, from VR's point of view, how can one evaluate the solidity of this decision? I don't think even VIPs can truly understand it, at least, judging from contents the leaked letter, since that's the type of information they are given(as far as I can tell).
    Anyway, on the 26th Ben Dean dropped the October producer letter[8] that, to me, felt forthcoming, transparent and honest. They also did a very good live Discord Q&A with Savanja and Joppa[10]. And finally Minus made, what I consider, his better video production to date[9]. Very well put-together, concise and informative. MPR showed on that week leading up to the 26th that they can learn and adapt.
    I'll talk more about MPR in the next section, because I consider this department so very important. It is, essentially, the interface between VR's inner workings and the average gamer that might be interested in Pantheon, not to mention the community that follows the project closely.

Conclusions
    So, looking back at the most significant events VR has gone through(in my estimation), I don't think they are incompetent. It's quite clear they started out less competent than they are currently, and that their competence grows with each challenging situation they come across with.

Current discussions and the future

Most comments I've seen regarding 247 are predicated on the notion that 247 exists solely as a separate game mode with the objective of generating revenue, and little else. That is not what Ben Dean stated, be it the leaked VIP letter or in the October' producer letter. It is also not what Chris Perkins stated on last month' live discord Q&A.
    Now I've read the leaked letter, the producer letter, watched Minus' video and listened to the live Q&A, as, I assume, most of you did. My interpretation of all those sources is that the devs needed a better way to get data and feedback from the testers. The possibility that it could be monetized came later. So, 247's inception came into fruition then as a testing environment that is very focused, with clearly defined objectives and a time limit to accomplish them. Yes. This isn't the MMORPG we all want. This isn't even an MMORPG in the, say, everquest-sense, even thou all the Pantheon MMO systems are there, for us to play with.
    But, is this a bad way to get the data VR needs ? I don't think so. Quite the contrary. This is what I see 247 as: a testing environment to get data and feedback quicker and with better quality, since it is very focused and time-limited which gives the testers a sense of urgency and to get things done as efficiently as possible, preventing them from going afk. VR has budget constraints, we all hate that. But it is the reality of the situation. 247 is a big help in this regard w.r.t testing efficiency, which saves $$. I just can't be mad at VR for this. A little sad that the budget is tight, sure, but angry ? No.
    Regarding the possibility of monetizing 247, in all honestly, I don't think I'll be of much help here, as I don't really have business sense. The only thing I can think of is something along the lines of: charge 5 to 10 bucks per month for access to 247, and that also gets you a full free month of subscription for the MMO proper, once it is released. Monthly subscriptions are typically 12 to 15 bucks so that feels like an enticing deal to me. Tied to this approach should be a clear statement that 247 is not the MMORPG we'll be getting at release. No time restraints. And no 100 player instances. Please feel free to poke holes at this suggestion.

PvP
    There have been many voices in the Pantheon community stating that 247 was made primarily with pvp in mind. Which, consequently, means VR is somewhat abandoning PvE as the original primary driver of Pantheon's development efforts.
    Guys, Pantheon was always meant to have PvP. This has been started since 2014[1] (to my knowledge, Joppa wasn't even on board yet). And now, after 9 years of development, when Pantheon finally gets its first PvP iteration you accuse VR of shifting it's focus? How is that even remotely coherent with Brad'[5] and Joppas[3] goals w.r.t. PvP?
    I wrote this on discord a week or two ago(I made some minimal edits for this post):
    "The tenets are very clear regarding the main challenges of the game being in the player vs the environment front. Although me and my guild are mostly interested in the pvp server(when it comes out), me personally, and contrary to most of my guildmates, think that the foundation should always be PvE.
    For me, an immersive game-world must not rely solely on the very real possibility that anyone can attack you anywhere anytime, together with the various diplomatic ramifications that can entail between guilds and alliances(that's mortal online 2 territory, for example). For an MMORPG to be truly immersive it must absolutely rely in the way the geological and meteorological aspects of the environment challenge you, the way the lore of the various cultures, races, kingdoms, tribes and other NPCs groups suck you into the story, the challenging dungeons and raids that require a decent amount of team coordination and knowledge of one's class. Not to mention the crafting interdependence between the various player professions, and the player economy tied to that.
    If all that is not there at the forefront, the world does not feel compelling enough and interesting enough to begin with. In this scenario, PvP adds very little to me and there's little reason to stick around.
    Despite it's issues, Vanguard was good example of an MMORPG done right w.r.t PvE as foundation and PvP as an added layer of immersiveness" (although pvp systems there were mostly non-existent, albeit the ffa ruleset was an immersiveness bomb to me, because it allowed for full player agency.)

MPR
    As I've intended at above, I see MPR as having learned a lot regarding the consequences of going dark for too long. The video, the producer letter and the live discord Q&A was a more than adequate response to a very challenging situation.
    But they need to keep up this momentum going forward because: no information = no trust and no trust = no pledges.
    Ben, my suggestion to help address this challenge is this:
    Make a written Discord Q&A, at least once a month, similar to what was done on the 19th and 20th October, Ask-Me-Anything(AMA) style. Reason I'm more in favor of a written version rather than an audio version, is that, well, Joppa typically gets called in to to these things, and, while I quite enjoy hearing from him, when in the audio/stream context, almost every single answer he gives takes way too long :) (I swear I heard a hint of impatience on Savanja's voice during the live Q&A. But maybe it's just me :P). When in the written format, his answers (on Discord, specifically) have been traditionally more concise and informative when compared to the audio versions. This format also has the benefit of being easily exported to a written article on the website, which MPR should do, as this provides more information to people that don't have the patience to scroll through pages and pages of Discord chatter to get information from VR staff. It also makes it easier to export to other platforms such as the forums, reddit, etc. Moreover, it provides the mmo media outlets and youtube content creators with material to promote your game... for free. Does this not increase VR' chances of getting more pledges and investor confidence?
    Bottom line: more information = more trust and more trust = more pledges
    I think this is a relatively cheap way for VR to broadcast information efficiently and has a great return on investment potential.(but then again, I've no business sense, so...)

Sources
    [1] [url=https://youtu.be/hCv7JLZ_QSA?si=vU-IP1WqsMJtOt-m&t=3574]https://youtu.be/hCv7JLZ_QSA?si=vU-IP1WqsMJtOt-m&t=3574
    [2] https://youtu.be/BaFIUiAHiPE
    [3] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL-k-4JImeY&t=4277s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL-k-4JImeY&t=4277s
    [4] https://youtu.be/u0rnXsAk9sc
    [5] https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/186/pantheon-pv-p-launch-vs-post-launch
    [6] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOuDy-u7x9g&t=2575s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOuDy-u7x9g&t=2575s
    [7] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Z_vBWH-Ss&t=877s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Z_vBWH-Ss&t=877s
    [8] https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/october-producers-letter/
    [9] https://youtu.be/1mcLSEBo2-s
    [10] https://youtu.be/kgDiMF_qXrw
    [11] [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlSe8VopW1Y&t=80s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlSe8VopW1Y&t=80s

Thanks to Prevenge and Jothany for keeping this thread healthy and constructive, which, together with Proxy's challenge a week ago in discord, gave me the motivation to produce this write-up.
    This post was edited by Kaynrath at November 6, 2023 6:36 AM PST
    • 627 posts
    November 6, 2023 10:48 AM PST
    Work towards early access on steam, build out the part of the world you are working on now. Sell it as a one time purchase with a on release game key aswell.

You need money to finish this could be a way
    • 2053 posts
    November 6, 2023 11:32 AM PST
    Off topic comments removed - again.

The OP sets the subject of a thread. If you have nothing but complaints to say, there are over a dozen threads where you can post them.

They are off-topic for this thread and will be removed.

Members who repeatedly post off-topic comments risk greater consequences than just having their comments removed.

Thanks Kaynrath.
    This post was edited by Jothany at November 6, 2023 11:35 AM PST
    • 369 posts
    November 6, 2023 11:33 AM PST

lol

• 252 posts
    November 6, 2023 11:33 AM PST
    Kaynrath said:

Addressing the "past" section of your post:

Code Refactor

The team started Project Faerthale prior to code refactor with the intention of creating a slice of Pantheon that contained all systems and classes. Project Faerthale turned into refactor. This doesn't sound like an intentional thing where they knew the code needed to be refactored and had gotten to the point that it was time. It seemed more like they started to tackle Faerthale and then realized the situation they were in. They stopped talking about Project Faerthale and then after a dry spell started talking about refactor. The refactor was supposed to accelerate development. While this may or may not be true; from my perspective they haven't gotten content back to a point that it was at prior to refactor, at least not that they have shown. Systems may be a different story; but even in that we have seen limited classes and only humans. If my perspective is wrong here than I would say VR hasn't done a good job of highlighting their progress since refactor.

Network Stack (ViNL)

True, they did build their own network stack which is impressive. This was shown as complete in the July 2022 Producer's Letter. After that they started tracking post-implementation integration. Integration can be a ***** and when they stopped the alpha tracker in May they were still working on integration. No word if that was ever completed, Integration could be dependent on other systems which slowed progress. Regardless, I would agree and chalk this up as an accomplishment.

Art Style

There are two arguments about art style.

Arguement 1: Hand Painted vs Realism. For me I fall on the realism side but accept their explanation that they just can't get it done in a timely manner.

Arguement 2: Does this hand-painted style look good? For me, the answer is that the character and creature models I have seen do not. But this is entirely subjective and not worth arguing about. Give your feedback to the devs and if enough people say they don't like it maybe they adjust, maybe they don't.

MPR

I don't think it has been good, but I'm not sure if being 100% transparent would have been better. People are genuinely tired of not seeing results and having the same things showcased to us over and over as if we are seeing it for the first time and it's not the second or third redo. It's been a long development and I think most of the goodwill is gone not because of PR but because we haven't seen progress.

Conclusion

I wouldn't chalk VR's apparent incompetencies as an illusion created by bad PR. They have made mistakes that have adversely affected development. Anyone could have made those mistakes if they were inexperienced and lacked certain competencies in game development. That isn't an insult, it's a reality. They are learning on the job. Some of them are very experienced at specific aspects of game development, like Kyle is on Networking. But being expert in one competency doesn't grant the studio the competence it needs as a whole. My opinion is that most of their supporters have been able to forgive their mistakes and maintain hope for most of the development cycle. That capacity wears out as time stretches on without tangible progress. When it feels like promises are broken (whether they were true promises or inferred promises), all of that forgiveness is rescinded at once and the willingness to forgive in the future is forfeit.

I don't think VR broke the letter of their promises by going with a cartoony style. That said, thousands of supporters inferred a promise for realism based on every single game example we had seen over nearly a decade. So whether VR had explicitly promised it or not; many of those supporters feel lied to.

VR committed to an MMORPG that was classically spirited. While VR may still be committed to that, the announcement of a potential stand-alone game that is not a classically spirited MMORPG feels like deceit and theft of their pledges. You can argue that 247 is 95% similar to Pantheon: RotF. You can argue that even if they sell it as a separate game it isn't a violation of their promise because they are still developing the MMORPG. But at the end of the day what the supporters see is that VR released a game that was not an MMORPG while they still await the MMORPG they pledged for. You can't fix that with better PR.
    This post was edited by Ruinar at November 6, 2023 11:36 AM PST
    • 42 posts
    November 7, 2023 2:53 AM PST

Kaynrath said: .....

Conclusions So, looking back at the most significant events VR has gone through(in my estimation), I don't think they are incompetent. It's quite clear they started out less competent than they are currently, and that their competence grows with each challenging situation they come across with.

So this is basically your opinion . Of course there is no garantee that other pledgers share this particular opinion and, more importantly, it doesn't explain why such dramatic changes like complete graphics overhaul and 247 come after NINE years of development. Is it believable that such important decisions like design and testing could not have been anticipated many years ago ? For me the answer is a clear no (at least not if a competent project manager with MMO experience is at the helm).

That's why I think that asking ALL pledgers their opinion via a poll should be VR's priority 1. The reason is that, as I already wrote, the fundamental target of Pantheon since 2014 Kickstarter was Brad's bet that there was enough of potential players in the general MMORPG population who wanted an "old school", EQ like game badly enough that they were ready to play it and finance it. Obviously nobody in the 2014 team was stupid enough to think that they were able to develop an indy game competing for players with the Blizzards, Amazons etc of this world.

It looked like Brad's bet was right but it also meant that since the very beginning in 2014 through 2023 it is the pledgers who would make or break the commercial viability of the game when/if it releases. A poll to ALL pledgers serves 3 purposes. First and principal is to measure how many pledgers are STILL on board because if it is not at least 90%, VR is in a very bad spot and Pantheon might be in trouble even if it releases in a reasonable time. Second is that VR would be able to identify critical issues on which a strong pledger's support depends. Third is that human nature is such that when you feel that you are respected and that your opinion (and money !) really count, you are more inclined to support a project or a company and your trust is strengthened.

• 40 posts
    November 9, 2023 9:07 AM PST

The problem is they're in development hell and that spells the doom for most projects in terms of getting a product to market and overall the quality of said product.

Duke Nuke'em Forever got released once Gearbox came in and saved the day after 12 years of development. It wasn't a good game and basically buried the IP, at least for the foreseeable future. Now that title is held by Beyond Good and Evil 2 at 15 years of development, with the original game coming out back in 2003.

VR needs to bring a product to market, whatever it is and get the groundwork laid. The fact they haven't shows signs they lack the vision of what they're doing. Likely falling into a repeated process of endless tinkering and adjusting that will never reach an unknown status of "finished". Things get better, then they get a new class put into the game and that upsets the applecart, then they have to go back and adjust what they just adjusted previously etc. etc. into infinity. 

The hardest part of writing a book for instance is actually writing it. Get a draft down as crappy as it may be then refine it once you have it. Otherwise, after 10 years you may find yourself writing, editing and rewriting the first chapter. Hoping that once it's "finished" you'll have an idea where the story will end up and be able to publish.

• 2053 posts
    November 9, 2023 12:31 PM PST

@Snackpack, Please check your messages.

• 167 posts
    November 9, 2023 7:20 PM PST
    Ruinar said:
    Kaynrath said:

Addressing the "past" section of your post:

Code Refactor

The team started Project Faerthale prior to code refactor with the intention of creating a slice of Pantheon that contained all systems and classes. Project Faerthale turned into refactor. This doesn't sound like an intentional thing where they knew the code needed to be refactored and had gotten to the point that it was time. It seemed more like they started to tackle Faerthale and then realized the situation they were in. They stopped talking about Project Faerthale and then after a dry spell started talking about refactor. The refactor was supposed to accelerate development. While this may or may not be true; from my perspective they haven't gotten content back to a point that it was at prior to refactor, at least not that they have shown. Systems may be a different story; but even in that we have seen limited classes and only humans. If my perspective is wrong here than I would say VR hasn't done a good job of highlighting their progress since refactor.

Network Stack (ViNL)

True, they did build their own network stack which is impressive. This was shown as complete in the July 2022 Producer's Letter. After that they started tracking post-implementation integration. Integration can be a ***** and when they stopped the alpha tracker in May they were still working on integration. No word if that was ever completed, Integration could be dependent on other systems which slowed progress. Regardless, I would agree and chalk this up as an accomplishment.

Art Style

There are two arguments about art style.

Arguement 1: Hand Painted vs Realism. For me I fall on the realism side but accept their explanation that they just can't get it done in a timely manner.

Arguement 2: Does this hand-painted style look good? For me, the answer is that the character and creature models I have seen do not. But this is entirely subjective and not worth arguing about. Give your feedback to the devs and if enough people say they don't like it maybe they adjust, maybe they don't.

MPR

I don't think it has been good, but I'm not sure if being 100% transparent would have been better. People are genuinely tired of not seeing results and having the same things showcased to us over and over as if we are seeing it for the first time and it's not the second or third redo. It's been a long development and I think most of the goodwill is gone not because of PR but because we haven't seen progress.

Conclusion

I wouldn't chalk VR's apparent incompetencies as an illusion created by bad PR. They have made mistakes that have adversely affected development. Anyone could have made those mistakes if they were inexperienced and lacked certain competencies in game development. That isn't an insult, it's a reality. They are learning on the job. Some of them are very experienced at specific aspects of game development, like Kyle is on Networking. But being expert in one competency doesn't grant the studio the competence it needs as a whole. My opinion is that most of their supporters have been able to forgive their mistakes and maintain hope for most of the development cycle. That capacity wears out as time stretches on without tangible progress. When it feels like promises are broken (whether they were true promises or inferred promises), all of that forgiveness is rescinded at once and the willingness to forgive in the future is forfeit.

I don't think VR broke the letter of their promises by going with a cartoony style. That said, thousands of supporters inferred a promise for realism based on every single game example we had seen over nearly a decade. So whether VR had explicitly promised it or not; many of those supporters feel lied to.

VR committed to an MMORPG that was classically spirited. While VR may still be committed to that, the announcement of a potential stand-alone game that is not a classically spirited MMORPG feels like deceit and theft of their pledges. You can argue that 247 is 95% similar to Pantheon: RotF. You can argue that even if they sell it as a separate game it isn't a violation of their promise because they are still developing the MMORPG. But at the end of the day what the supporters see is that VR released a game that was not an MMORPG while they still await the MMORPG they pledged for. You can't fix that with better PR.

I don't necessarily think anyone is saying that VR hasn't made mistakes. I'm sure being a fairly inexperienced team has lead to a lot of challenges.

But I definitely don't agree with the "Completely different game" argument.

Taking the world of Pantheon, the crafting of Pantheon, the areas/quests of Pantheon, mobs of Pantheon, classes/abilities/races of Pantheon and slapping a 2 hour timer with a thrown together extraction skin on top of it, does sound very much like it's still Pantheon.

How hard is it to believe that they really, seriously, just don't have enough content build yet, to keep people happily playing the standard mmorpg?

I hope we are going to be in 247 soon. If it goes the way I think it will, 247 is going to be a turning point for a lot of people and their opinions. If it looks like Pantheon, smells like Pantheon and tastes like Pantheon and nothing has changed except an extraction mechanic, then there is still hope that everything Joppa said in the Q&A was true and that the game is still coming. Who knows, maybe it will still be fun. We'll still be playing the game we want, just in 2 hour chunks. Once your 2 hours is up, you just hop back in.

Doesn't sound THAT bad.

As for it signaling the end of Pantheon the mmorpg, I don't believe that either. These people have put 10 years of their lives into this game, many for little or no pay. I'd think they'd want the final payout no matter how big or small and would make sure it was finished even if they ran completely out of money. They won't release a broken piece of garbage either, because then the payout would definitely be nothing.

Are they having problems? Obviously. But they aren't done yet.
    This post was edited by Prevenge at November 9, 2023 7:23 PM PST
    • 194 posts
    November 9, 2023 8:40 PM PST
    Prevenge said:

Taking the world of Pantheon, the crafting of Pantheon, the areas/quests of Pantheon, mobs of Pantheon, classes/abilities/races of Pantheon and slapping a 2 hour timer with a thrown together extraction skin on top of it, does sound very much like it's still Pantheon.

This comment is disingenuous when the world is one zone, the mobs are creep, the majority of classes and functionality is non-existent, and a timer is applied for exploration. It's pieces at best.