Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The People have spoken

• 48 posts
    October 29, 2023 6:15 AM PDT

Nexira said: Those numbers tell me that there are 900 people who REALLY REALLY hate the 247 mode enough to bother to give a downvote. 100 something that really really like it, and a whole lot of people who are neutral considering the views on it. I watch youtube videos all the time and don't bother to up/downvote unless something really annoys me. I watched this one and didn't care enough to vote....heck I don't think I have ever upvoted or downvoted a pantheon video(from VR or other streamers) from the beginning. I definitely liked the earlier streams to upvote them...but never did. The video itself was not great, but not the end of the world either. If I were a betting lady, I would bet most of those views have the same opinion....it will either work well or not *shrug* But bringing a bunch of negativity is definitely not going to help us get an MMO eventually. Now if I would have seen 9k downvotes I would agree that the majority *hate* it, but the amount of people who even bothered to rate it is very low. Most are probably neutral.

It actually does not tell you that a whole lot of people are neutral, it just doesn't tell you anything about those people since they didn't vote and the votes don't represent them. What we can say is of the people that voted, 986 of the 1157 downvoted, and that really is what those numbers say. 

• 48 posts
    October 29, 2023 6:21 AM PDT

The "numbers" aside and the various subjective ways people want to interpret them, traditionally  in the gaming world a lot of negative feedback (in this case the downvotes) is not a good sign for a game; however, it is not always the end of the game. 

• 194 posts
    October 29, 2023 6:51 AM PDT
    Jeremiahcp said:

The "numbers" aside and the various subjective ways people want to interpret them, traditionally in the gaming world a lot of negative feedback (in this case the downvotes) is not a good sign for a game; however, it is not always the end of the game.

To add onto this, it depends *when* the negativity happens. Before a product releases? Much more likely to recover than say, after a product is out for awhile and the company makes terrible decisions.
    • 49 posts
    October 29, 2023 8:28 AM PDT

The trend is negative, that's all you need to know.

• 11 posts
    October 29, 2023 8:58 AM PDT
    Most people probably gave up years ago and aren't even looking here anymore. Considering that the 50 people that are here are mostly upset or disappointed So take that as you will. Makes sense to me as I kind of gave up and look back now and then on these forums. Just shows that the numbers have tapered off over the years and the few left are less likely to back these changes or be happy about them in turn leaving the community and game behind. Almost every streamer I watched for years has bailed. A few with positive outlook are left but even said they aren't going to put the attention into pantheon anymore.
    • 77 posts
    October 29, 2023 12:16 PM PDT
    Neutral as in not feeling strongly enough to even bother voting. Nobody is truly neutral and there is always bias somewhere.

My point is you can't say the majority *hate* it and that the people have definitely spoken with only 1k votes out of 10k views.
    • 226 posts
    October 29, 2023 12:24 PM PDT
    Update:
    This post was edited by Sweety at October 29, 2023 12:24 PM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    October 29, 2023 12:55 PM PDT

Nexira said: Neutral as in not feeling strongly enough to even bother voting. Nobody is truly neutral and there is always bias somewhere. My point is you can't say the majority *hate* it and that the people have definitely spoken with only 1k votes out of 10k views.

True.  You cannot say the majority hate it, instead you can say that the majority are so utterly disinterested in it they do not even care enough to up or down vote.  That itself says a lot, where out of 10,000 views only 1/10th even bothered to click 1 of 2 buttons?  The potential playerbase is just apathetic about Pantheon because, I think, of Pantheon being in development since ~February 2014 and seeing many setbacks, reworks and refactors.

• 1284 posts
    October 29, 2023 12:58 PM PDT

It's very common for 90% of viewers to not interact either way, that has never been evidence that they are apathetic.  If you could find a way to get the opinion of those 90% you might have a decent data set...but good luck.  Those 90% are choosing specifically NOT to interact, no matter their feelings.  

• 226 posts
    October 29, 2023 1:02 PM PDT
    I love how all of the sudden we are all experts on data analysis. This is just like politics, both sides will spin the stats to fit their narrative. It doesn't have to be so complicated. A lot of people think 247 sucks, pretty simple.
    • 1284 posts
    October 29, 2023 1:21 PM PDT

I don't know who the other experts are, but I'm guessing there are plenty of people around that actually did study statistics.  I agree, it's not that hard to understand how people use statistics incorrectly to make people think certain things are true, that actually might not be true (note, I am not saying it is not true, I am saying the info we have is not enough to say that it certainly is true).  After all, 9 out of 10 people who switch to Geico save money! 

• 1019 posts
    October 29, 2023 1:23 PM PDT
    StoneFish said:
    I like the direction and I look forward to playing 247. I hope it generates revenue despite the effort by the community to force a change that would cause more harm. I've heard and read responsible and professional communication about a complex issue . My opinion of the team has not changed, it remains highly positive. My expectations for pantheon being built is just as strong. My only disappointment is with the community, I expected more of you all. If they had paused development and focused on selling and supporting a network tool they designed and built and said we will begin pantheon work in 6 months I would also be pleased. If this move with 247 gets the company into a better position in 6 months to a year then good, it is still forward progress. Also reddit provides no valuable data. It's population behavior is more like a flock of birds or schools of fish, a few members lead the mass and dissenting opinions get buried.

They did. They ALSO took time to develop Vinyl as a means of revenue generation for this company. Took our money we gave them to work on the game they said they'd work on and used it, again, for something else, so they could make money.
    This post was edited by Kittik at October 29, 2023 1:24 PM PDT
    • 226 posts
    October 29, 2023 1:28 PM PDT
    Ranarius said:

After all, 9 out of 10 people who switch to Geico save money!

Well, at least we can make each other laugh. Great quote. loL
    • 1284 posts
    October 29, 2023 1:29 PM PDT

I've always felt bad for that 10th person, by the way.  He musta been so confused.

• 273 posts
    October 29, 2023 2:08 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

I've always felt bad for that 10th person, by the way.  He musta been so confused.

Hey, it's possible the 10th person was uninsurable by any other company than Geico.

• 80 posts
    October 29, 2023 5:38 PM PDT
    There sure are a lot of people pretending this isn't the most disproportionately disliked video in 7 years of youtube Pantheon. Even the art video was 50/50. This amount of copium is how the project got into this mess to begin with. You continually get pee'd on and call it rain. So the cycle continues and it's deserved it at this point.
    • 194 posts
    October 29, 2023 5:57 PM PDT
    RedGang said:
    There sure are a lot of people pretending this isn't the most disproportionately disliked video in 7 years of youtube Pantheon. Even the art video was 50/50. This amount of copium is how the project got into this mess to begin with. You continually get pee'd on and call it rain. So the cycle continues and it's deserved it at this point.

The words feel good even if the beatings don't. "It won't happen again baby, I swear.."
    • 6 posts
    October 29, 2023 7:16 PM PDT
    "The words feel good even if the beatings don't. "It won't happen again baby, I swear..""

It seems we have all fallen down the stairs or tripped and hit our eye on the doorhandle for the last 10 years or so, dosen't it........
    • 316 posts
    October 29, 2023 8:49 PM PDT
    RedGang said: There sure are a lot of people pretending this isn't the most disproportionately disliked video in 7 years of youtube Pantheon. Even the art video was 50/50. This amount of copium is how the project got into this mess to begin with.

Exactly. As if a nearly 10-1 dislike-like ratio really doesn't say much definitive about the community's feelings. Silly
    This post was edited by Alexander at October 29, 2023 8:49 PM PDT
    • 369 posts
    October 30, 2023 7:36 AM PDT

StoneFish said: I like the direction and I look forward to playing 247. I hope it generates revenue despite the effort by the community to force a change that would cause more harm. I've heard and read responsible and professional communication about a complex issue . My opinion of the team has not changed, it remains highly positive. My expectations for pantheon being built is just as strong. My only disappointment is with the community, I expected more of you all. If they had paused development and focused on selling and supporting a network tool they designed and built and said we will begin pantheon work in 6 months I would also be pleased. If this move with 247 gets the company into a better position in 6 months to a year then good, it is still forward progress. Also reddit provides no valuable data. It's population behavior is more like a flock of birds or schools of fish, a few members lead the mass and dissenting opinions get buried.

What if in 6 months to a year 247 is a flop with zero outside interest and zero additional funding being brought from it? That is 6-12 months of potential MMO development time wasted. 

• 167 posts
    October 30, 2023 7:39 AM PDT

What if in 6 months to a year 247 is a flop with zero outside interest and zero additional funding being brought from it? That is 6-12 months of potential MMO development time wasted.

I think this is the major concern right now.

Personally I'd take a stripped down version of Pantheon alpha, even if it lasts a few years, over 247. I think a lot of people probably would. I don't know if something like that is possible or not, but I do believe it would be far better received.
    • 1284 posts
    October 30, 2023 9:44 AM PDT

It wouldn't be a waste IF during those 6-12 months they bring online more classes and more zones that will actually be used in the MMO.

• 2419 posts
    October 30, 2023 9:47 AM PDT

Ranarius said:

It wouldn't be a waste IF during those 6-12 months they bring online more classes and more zones that will actually be used in the MMO.

But could those things not be done in the free-form MMO environment?  What is it about 247 that only allows for these things which are long overdue to be implemented?

• 1284 posts
    October 30, 2023 9:49 AM PDT

No doubt.  But doing it this way doesn't automatically make it a waste.  

• 48 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:23 PM PDT

Sweety said: I love how all of the sudden we are all experts on data analysis. This is just like politics, both sides will spin the stats to fit their narrative. It doesn't have to be so complicated. A lot of people think 247 sucks, pretty simple.

I actually am an expert on data analysis.