Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

247 = Alpha?

• 48 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:35 PM PDT

Ruinar said: Because all three pledge levels were created simultaneously they clearly didn't change "alpha" to "pre-alpha".

They made the pledges at the same time, but what they had was an alpha stage, that they decided to swap in for pre-alpha. 

• 369 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:38 PM PDT
    You are categorically wrong.
    This post was edited by arazons at October 30, 2023 1:46 PM PDT
    • 105 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:47 PM PDT

arazons said:
    Jeremiahcp said:
    Ruinar said: Because all three pledge levels were created simultaneously they clearly didn't change "alpha" to "pre-alpha".
    They made the pledges at the same time, but what they had was an alpha stage, that they decided to swap in for pre-alpha.

I pledged in 2015 and here is the matrix available at the time.  Look at it and then state again that pre-alpha access was a thing from the start.  It wasn't and it is really you that is categorically wrong.

• 369 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:55 PM PDT
    Marilee said:
    arazons said:
    Jeremiahcp said:
    I pledged in 2015 and here is the matrix available at the time. Look at it and then state again that pre-alpha access was a thing from the start. It wasn't and it is really you that is categorically wrong.
    Interesting, I've been here since 2015 as well, but apparently I didn't actually sign up for a pledge until 2017, which then had pre-alpha. See that's the thing, the game has taken so long to come out that recalling things becomes more difficult over the years (decades at this rate). I stand corrected, there was not a pre-alpha at the start. Doesnt change the fact that 247 game mode testing does not equal alpha testing.
    This post was edited by arazons at October 30, 2023 1:57 PM PDT
    • 252 posts
    October 30, 2023 1:58 PM PDT
    I wonder if they changed alpha to pre-alpha or if they knew they could cash in for a lot more by creating a "pre-alpha" category.
    • 369 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:00 PM PDT

Wouldn't surprise me. Makes sense from a business perspective.

• 194 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:06 PM PDT
    Ruinar said:
    I wonder if they changed alpha to pre-alpha or if they knew they could cash in for a lot more by creating a "pre-alpha" category.

There was definitely a theory floated at the time and a lot of people had their comments removed for stating they believed that.
    • 226 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:12 PM PDT
    This chart blows my mind. Obviously Pre-Alpha is a commonly used phase in software development, but the fact that it was added later seems shady. So what next, they are going to create "Pre-Beta" and screw all the people that paid for beta access? OR better yet, maybe they will sell "Post-Alpha" before Beta and cash in on that level of access. Ridiculous.
    • 105 posts
    October 30, 2023 2:30 PM PDT

Here's an article where it's stated the pre-alpha 5 was going to last a while but would be the last alpha:  https://massivelyop.com/2020/10/19/pantheon-talks-pre-alpha-5-publishers-and-properly-funding-the-vision/

It's been 3 years since that article. What stage of pre-alpha are we currently in?  Did VR actually intend to let alpha backers into their little extraction game gamble or was it intended to be yet another new pre-alpha category, pushing alpha and beta testers further out?  

• 194 posts
    • 226 posts
    October 30, 2023 3:34 PM PDT
    justdrop said:
    Marilee said: Here's an article where it's stated the pre-alpha 5 was going to last a while but would be the last alpha: https://massivelyop.com/2020/10/19/pantheon-talks-pre-alpha-5-publishers-and-properly-funding-the-vision/ It's been 3 years since that article. What stage of pre-alpha are we currently in? Did VR actually intend to let alpha backers into their little extraction game gamble or was it intended to be yet another new pre-alpha category, pushing alpha and beta testers further out?
    You skipped a step. PA was initially 3 phases, then they moved to 5 phases, then they extended the final phase *indefinitely* until alpha. Gosh why can't people keep up and have faith? This forum is also broken beyond redemption.
    It's all a hot mess. Been a mess for years, but we are just now seeing it.
    This post was edited by Sweety at October 30, 2023 3:35 PM PDT
    • 2053 posts
    October 30, 2023 4:33 PM PDT
    The chart above has 3 levels of access contained in it. Alpha and Beta are available in the first section. If you look all the way down to the Orange section, and go across the tab headings to the the perks that start at the $1000 level, you'll see "tester access". Those same 3 levels of access were defined on the original Kickstarter page as well. You can see them here if you scroll about halfway down to below the Youtube links.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

As I understand it, Tester Access was renamed Pre-Alpha.
    This post was edited by Jothany at October 30, 2023 4:35 PM PDT
    • 194 posts
    October 30, 2023 4:40 PM PDT
    It's kind of embarrassing that one would need to go that far back to get clarity about a development cycle happening right now.
    • 105 posts
    October 30, 2023 4:56 PM PDT

I apologize to you arazons.  I guess because I don't read minds or speak VR-ese I failed to understand that tester access was changed to pre-alpha.

Therefore stand corrected.  

• 369 posts
    October 31, 2023 7:37 AM PDT
    Marilee said:

I apologize to you arazons. I guess because I don't read minds or speak VR-ese I failed to understand that tester access was changed to pre-alpha.

Therefore I stand corrected.

No no, you were correct, there was no named pre-alpha. I didnt look at "Tester access" to mean pre-alpha either. My confusion came from the fact that I had the brains to wait around a few years to before I actually did pledge in 2017 and by that time there was "pre-alpha". But I have been here since 2014/15. So it all blurs together.
    This post was edited by arazons at October 31, 2023 7:43 AM PDT