Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Maps Confirmed

• 144 posts
    March 27, 2023 8:38 AM PDT

Hello,

do not forget people like me that get lost in a one way. We may not be very common, but we exist. That being said, I am mostly not lost anymore in Thronefast although I reckon that I probably almost never take the best route (and my group had to wait several times for me to arrive after death, but that is another question).

In the absolute, I wouldn't mind something akin to what would happen in real life: You come to a new zone, you go to the nearest settlement and go buy a very basic map. It just tells you what the locals most probably know. This and that road goes back to thronefast, there is a settlement to the east, there is a place where people never come back from (at least alive), there is a waterfall, a sacred tree, a hunting area may be.

This can even be handled with some sort of Fog of war system where the local would may be add some info on your map if you pay him some coin.

No GPS showing yourself on the map. Just a paper map (which means that you would need to get it out of your bag)... And then quests may be with the NPC putting a mark on your map telling you to go to this place (which doesn't need to be very precise. See it as an incentive to go explore). And the possibility for each to mark his own map. 

And then, something I kinda liked in Red Dea Redemption, is those treasure/quest maps that are actually just an image with three trees and some crude X that says "here is the treasure of ANVIL the ogrrre hidden"... (forgetting to tell people that Anvil is actually not dead at all).

I think that way is stays somewhat immersive. You do not hold people by their hand, and still tickle the sense of exploration instead of being completely frustrating. I can predict right away that if the game stays that way, people will get lost with lost corpses and quit... more often than a niche game like that can absorb.

Fundamentally, we may or may not want maps, but then you may or may not use them even if they exist. Nobody forcing you. What is really important is that a new player stays in the game. We know maps will exist, thus make it so that I won't feel the need (or rarely so) to go look up maps outside of the game. Let me stay in game.