Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

old school and difficulty?

• 947 posts
    December 19, 2018 12:42 PM PST

dmorals said:

Algrinon said:

While I do want all those qualities from EQ back in the day - I am not sure I can play the 40 hours a week like I used to.  My wife would kill me.  And while I have delusions of euphoria being able to be "number one" again I simply know my job won't allow it.  I will still sub.  I will still play.  I am old school at heart but no longer a hard core player.  It is like retiring from the military.  You could probably pass the PT test but you need to be in the old man group.  Busting out 100 push up, 100 situps, and running a mile and half in 8 minutes at age 46 just ain't gonna happen.

I laughed and then sighed at how true this is for me and possibly quite a few of us.

Yep!  I retire in 20 more months!  My only concern with the "older" gaming concepts is the amount of time required to have a feeling of accomplishment or even make progress.  Fortunately the devs are addressing this and hopefuly they will come to a resolution that allows those of us that don't have the time we once did to feel accomplished without sacrificing too much.  A fine line to walk.  A rest experience type of effect would be nice to give those that have been offline (of the account, not just the character) a boost to experience gains so that they don't get too far behind their friends that they will undoubtedly be making.  (It could be very frustrating having to make new friends to group with every week or so).

• 79 posts
    December 19, 2018 1:22 PM PST

Darch said:

Yep!  I retire in 20 more months!  My only concern with the "older" gaming concepts is the amount of time required to have a feeling of accomplishment or even make progress.  Fortunately the devs are addressing this and hopefuly they will come to a resolution that allows those of us that don't have the time we once did to feel accomplished without sacrificing too much.  A fine line to walk.  A rest experience type of effect would be nice to give those that have been offline (of the account, not just the character) a boost to experience gains so that they don't get too far behind their friends that they will undoubtedly be making.  (It could be very frustrating having to make new friends to group with every week or so).

I would not mind if it took forever to get max level the longer it takes the less I have to worry about ever getting to point where there is nothing left to do. But I do think the rested experience system was one of the better ideas to come out of newer MMO's. But me being a sick minded person with my own idea's I would love to see reverse system in place also where the longer you play per session the less experience  you get slowing down people who play way too much and encouraging them to check out other parts of the game instead of just a one way path to max level. I have friends who take a week off work playing 20 hours a day to get max level and then they quit a week later because they burnt themselves out it has always baffled me. I know everyone will disagree with me but I would love to see a system to help people who can't play as much and at the same time keep idiots who want to rush max level from burning themselves out.

• 523 posts
    December 19, 2018 6:30 PM PST

Damacon said:

I would not mind if it took forever to get max level the longer it takes the less I have to worry about ever getting to point where there is nothing left to do. But I do think the rested experience system was one of the better ideas to come out of newer MMO's. But me being a sick minded person with my own idea's I would love to see reverse system in place also where the longer you play per session the less experience  you get slowing down people who play way too much and encouraging them to check out other parts of the game instead of just a one way path to max level. I have friends who take a week off work playing 20 hours a day to get max level and then they quit a week later because they burnt themselves out it has always baffled me. I know everyone will disagree with me but I would love to see a system to help people who can't play as much and at the same time keep idiots who want to rush max level from burning themselves out.

I'm on board for the reverse rest experience concept, and I've said as much.  I am a person that is going to play an insane amount of hours.  I've had the top class level and achievements in quite a few MMOs, mostly at launch as I get burned out quickly.  But it's still what I enjoy doing.  Anything they can do to slow me down and increase my time playing the game is a great thing in my opinion.  I'm fine with there even being a finite amount of XP a person can gain in a 24 hour period.  The main thing there being that there are enough desireable things I can do horizontally in terms of progression that I'll continue to log in despite not gaining xp.  Camping gear, crafting, epic questing drops, harvesting, exploring for spells/abilities, and raiding are all fine examples of things to do if XP is maxxed for that day.  Plus, if they limit the possible xp gains, they can absolutley control when people start to reach max level.

The big thing with controlling max level or experience gain in general is that as a power/achievement personality-type, that's not going to dissuade me in any way from trying to compete to be the best on the server.  It just extends how long I play the game because the carrot of getting max level remains front and center longer.  On VRs end, they can prevent people from chewing through their content too quickly, allowing more time to flesh out the end game.  

So, while I'm not a proponent of rest experience, I don't want to give welfare to those that can't put in the work.  Nothing wrong with that at all, a demanding real life can be its own reward easily.  But, I don't feel anyone is ever entitled to bonus experience.  However, I am fine with putting an xp "tax" or limit on those of us that can play excessive amounts of time.  It just delays when I hit max level and forces me to enjoy the game at level appropriate ranges for an extended time.  I hope they do something like that, otherwise I'm going to be max level in a week because I enjoy competing to be the best.

• 79 posts
    December 19, 2018 8:43 PM PST

Mathir said:

I'm on board for the reverse rest experience concept, and I've said as much.  I am a person that is going to play an insane amount of hours.  I've had the top class level and achievements in quite a few MMOs, mostly at launch as I get burned out quickly.  But it's still what I enjoy doing.  Anything they can do to slow me down and increase my time playing the game is a great thing in my opinion.  I'm fine with there even being a finite amount of XP a person can gain in a 24 hour period.  The main thing there being that there are enough desireable things I can do horizontally in terms of progression that I'll continue to log in despite not gaining xp.  Camping gear, crafting, epic questing drops, harvesting, exploring for spells/abilities, and raiding are all fine examples of things to do if XP is maxxed for that day.  Plus, if they limit the possible xp gains, they can absolutley control when people start to reach max level.

The big thing with controlling max level or experience gain in general is that as a power/achievement personality-type, that's not going to dissuade me in any way from trying to compete to be the best on the server.  It just extends how long I play the game because the carrot of getting max level remains front and center longer.  On VRs end, they can prevent people from chewing through their content too quickly, allowing more time to flesh out the end game.  

So, while I'm not a proponent of rest experience, I don't want to give welfare to those that can't put in the work.  Nothing wrong with that at all, a demanding real life can be its own reward easily.  But, I don't feel anyone is ever entitled to bonus experience.  However, I am fine with putting an xp "tax" or limit on those of us that can play excessive amounts of time.  It just delays when I hit max level and forces me to enjoy the game at level appropriate ranges for an extended time.  I hope they do something like that, otherwise I'm going to be max level in a week because I enjoy competing to be the best.

Yep I think anything they can do keep people going is the awnser and just trying to get more content out before people burn through the existing content always fails. They should have AA's, slow exp gain, and a exp limiting per day that would make me way more happy then aa extra dungeon in 3 months lol. I would love for a reason to farm gear throughout my leveling, to do crafting as I level, and to explore without having to worry about my friends getting 10 levels ahead of me.

I see where you are coming from with the rest exp, it doesn't really bother me I think its nice for people who don't have much time to stay caught up with their friends and I also like it if I ever decide to start an alt it helps the process along. I always believe that anything they can do to help keep friends together is a great idea, so many people get discouraged or quit just because they can't keep up with their friends.

• 70 posts
    December 20, 2018 5:34 AM PST

I currently play a game where I can turn the xp gain off so I can enjoy all of the beginner stages.
    The problem with experience is that if you become high level and you would ever return to a place meant for lower level characters it is actually no challange or fun anymore and it has become an unused part of the game

Buuut I am derailing this conversation.

This post was edited by Qulash at December 20, 2018 5:34 AM PST
    • 2138 posts
    December 20, 2018 7:20 AM PST

If its the "old school" moniker that is an issue, maybe take a lesson from rap music PR posturing from late 90's? where they had posturing arguments over old school and new school, that begat OG and gangsta sub-genre's and then "true school" transcended all that.

Old school? new school? nah, true school! or make it real and say it like "troo school'

heh. 

• 264 posts
    December 21, 2018 1:21 PM PST

I prefer old school games, I am a retro gamer. I'm a little concerned VR is moving away from the description of "old school", because that is what myself and a lot of people I know are into. Maybe you don't like the connotation, that your game will be seen as "outdated" but when you are using core design philosophy from 20 years ago that is gonna happen, you are going to get labeled as an old school game! Understand this about the gaming climate right now: retro is in. I've never seen so much interest in old school gaming in my entire life! Embrace the title, don't run away from it. Look at Runescape and WoW with their classic servers...and the SNES classic. The tide is with you right now so why swim against it?

Maybe the key here is to introduce the other key words. "Challenging" "Engaging" "Stunning". But don't shy away from such powerful words as "Old School" especially when it applies to the game design. Xxar is right about Pantheon needing to be it's own game, just don't get caught up with denying the EQ1 roots in the process. It's obvious from any gameplay footage the EQ1 roots are there! Going forward it's up to VR to present unique encounters in their demos that really stand out from other MMORPGs. Whether it's showcasing more of the perception system, the weather system, or showing some advanced combat. The key is to show what makes Pantheon more than EQ, showing a progression of the MMO genre.

On the topic of old school being associated with bad graphics. Did Minecraft fail due to it's bad graphics? How about Runescape? Or WoW with it's low system reqs? Your concern should be on the opposite side of the equation when it comes to graphics...the game must be accessible to people running the game on a 5 year old machine. It was one of the blunders made with Vanguard:SOH and was also made by EQ2. It is a good thing if the game can play on a toaster. If you can integrate higher settings for new computers great! Gameplay > Graphics. It's one of the lessons many gamers have learned over the years.