Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will you be able to have a surname?

• 438 posts
    December 18, 2018 6:57 PM PST
    Agreed @Keno Monster. One name is all one really
    Needs
    • 134 posts
    December 20, 2018 11:49 PM PST

I actually love being forced to have everyone have two names. I know for a fact I'll get the first name I want. I know for a fact I'll get the last name I want.

If I run into other people with the same last name, I will glady greet them as a long lost cousin! I can't wait!

• 646 posts
    December 21, 2018 10:27 AM PST

I hope they stick with first name/last name. While it may frustrate some players who just want their name to be a single word, I feel that the benefits far outweight the cost.

• 2752 posts
    December 21, 2018 10:31 AM PST

Naunet said:

I hope they stick with first name/last name. While it may frustrate some players who just want their name to be a single word, I feel that the benefits far outweight the cost.

¿Por qué no los dos?

Why not allow the choice of just a first name or picking a first + last? 

• 61 posts
    December 21, 2018 1:26 PM PST

Pick first and last name and make whether last name shows as configurable.

• 2752 posts
    December 21, 2018 2:11 PM PST

Roxxers said:

Pick first and last name and make whether last name shows as configurable.

Would lead to too much confusion/potential to tarnish the names of others, I'd imagine. 

• 23 posts
    December 22, 2018 3:47 PM PST

Porygon said:

That's extremely disappointing, and I hope they change their mind regarding this.

If they thought the technical support with the old way was Bad, just wait until they try to tell people they have to accept whatever name, first and last, they're given(unless of course you Buy your Special Name for a significant charge).

But we'll see what they do... nothing is written until they go sailing off that cliff. They need to monetize the game above and beyond the sub price, amirite? When does the in-game store with name-change tokens, and in-game Intercept Cash for this stuff go in? Or maybe they just sell you a name change loot box where it provides you three new names to choose from. Don't like them? Keep buying the boxes until you find a good one!

This post was edited by Quillim at December 22, 2018 3:52 PM PST
    • 1120 posts
    December 22, 2018 6:24 PM PST

Naunet said:

What benefits does first and past provide that first does not?

• 646 posts
    December 22, 2018 7:00 PM PST

Porygon said:What benefits does first and past provide that first does not?

They've been explained repeatedly. Mostly it assures that there's next to no naming conflicts. Less stress at launch. And less hassle if server mergers ever become necessary.

• 23 posts
    December 22, 2018 9:48 PM PST

Naunet said:

Porygon said:What benefits does first and past provide that first does not?

They've been explained repeatedly. Mostly it assures that there's next to no naming conflicts. Less stress at launch. And less hassle if server mergers ever become necessary.

Make 'ServerName.FirstName' a literal string with substituted values as the player name, making sure to disallow first name conflicts on the same server like before.

Two friends... Alice and Bob. Alice is on Server A and Bob is on Server B. Their full actual name in the database are the strings 'A.Alice' and 'B.Bob'.

Alice transfers to Server B. You now have a naming conflict for viewing purposes, in that there is already an Alice on B.. so they need to be distinguished. So you have A.Alice and B.Alice. B.Alice shows up to Bob as 'Alice' because its their server. A.Alice shows up as 'A.Alice'

Now Bob can set the /Alias for A.Alice to be 'Alice' to flip it. In doing so, to Bob.. A.Alice shows up as 'Alice' and it should automatically show him the full name for 'B.Alice' because he already has an Alias for that name.. but only for Bob's view. To both A.Alice and B.Alice, they show up to themselves as Alice. If they run into each other, A.Alice would see 'B.Alice', and B.Alice would see 'A.Alice'.

With Servername.FirstName as the PlayerName, you can then simply merge without issue while still allowing everybody to create their own names.

This post was edited by Quillim at December 22, 2018 9:59 PM PST
    • 646 posts
    December 23, 2018 10:33 AM PST

Iksar said:Why not allow the choice of just a first name or picking a first + last?

I suppose that would be alright. Guild Wars 2 essentially does this, buy allowing up to two spaces. I don't know if that would cause issues with VR's code or not, though.

• 1120 posts
    December 23, 2018 12:03 PM PST

You're trying to develop a major system around the idea that later, when the game is failing, naming could be an issue.  That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

The only way you get naming conflicts are when you're selecting an unoriginal name, or something from pop culture.

Everyone that is setting up to play this game will have a name in mind.  Not everyone has a first and last.

There is no benefit that should be being brought up at this point in time to forcing surnames.   Make it an option like everquest and rely on first names to differentiate uniqueness.

• 646 posts
    December 23, 2018 2:59 PM PST

Porygon said:

You're trying to develop a major system around the idea that later, when the game is failing, naming could be an issue.  That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

The only way you get naming conflicts are when you're selecting an unoriginal name, or something from pop culture.

Everyone that is setting up to play this game will have a name in mind.  Not everyone has a first and last.

There is no benefit that should be being brought up at this point in time to forcing surnames.   Make it an option like everquest and rely on first names to differentiate uniqueness.

It's not silly, and allowing for surnames isn't only to stave off problems in the case of future mergers. It also makes it far more likely that someone can get the name they want period. For example, if I wanted to name a character Naunet, and someone else also wanted to name their character Naunet, we could both have that name, just with different surnames. And the chances we'd both pick the same surname are extremely low.

This isn't an unusual system that requires crazy developer tricks. It works quite well in many MMOs.

As for your comment regarding the likelihood of naming conflicts... I guarantee you that even the most seemingly unique names will have copies. I made a night elf mage once, named Ateleia. I pulled the name completely out of my head, just piecing together syllables together that I liked, but guess what? There are two other Ateleias in Wow!

This post was edited by Naunet at December 23, 2018 3:03 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    December 24, 2018 8:06 AM PST

((That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.))

I am very happy for you - it must have been an exceptionally sheltered life you have lived.

If you think naming conflicts in games with only first names are unusual that definitely confirms how sheltered it has been. Trust us, unless you get a name the first day it is quite common to have to go through a number of names or even more before finding one that isn't taken. Even the first day you can lose out - and on names that don't seem to be obvious. 

VR didn't include early choice of names as a pledge reward because they thought it was useless - though if they go to a two name system it will be close to useless. They included it because so many of us have lost favored names often enough that we consider that perk valuable.

• 1120 posts
    December 24, 2018 3:42 PM PST

Naunet said:

As for your comment regarding the likelihood of naming conflicts... I guarantee you that even the most seemingly unique names will have copies. I made a night elf mage once, named Ateleia. I pulled the name completely out of my head, just piecing together syllables together that I liked, but guess what? There are two other Ateleias in Wow!

It's funny you say that.  Because my go to name and my 3 friends go to names are the ONLY ones created on all of the servers in the entirety of world of warcraft.

It's obvious we dont agree, and I won't change your mind.  So I'll just wait to see what happens and hope it's to my liking.

• 168 posts
    December 25, 2018 7:15 AM PST

Porygon said: I think the bigger question is will we be able to NOT have a surname.

Amen to this. I personally despise second names. Each to their own, right up until I am forced to run with one. I do vaguely recall one game that made it mandatory; clearly I didn't stay long enough to even remember the MMO (was it SWTOR I wonder?).

Edit: If the last name was the period or exclamation point symbol, I could maybe begrudgingly get over this "forced" system that is intruded into my game life. Outside of the stated logistics of it, this really boils down to the 2 basic types of mmo players- those that play a game and those that live in a world.... I very much am buying and subscribing to a game.

This post was edited by Dashed at December 25, 2018 7:23 AM PST
    • 3852 posts
    December 25, 2018 8:01 AM PST

I don't recall SWTOR forcing a last name but it has been quite a while. Neverwinter did. Final Fantasy XIV did. Those are the only two I recall but I haven't *quite* tried every MMO.

• 67 posts
    December 25, 2018 10:24 PM PST

Do we really discussing the naming policy „just in case“ for server merges without a released game?

I am still the opinion forenames are sufficient. And if there are server merges in the future, is a (possible) simple solution: If you coming from the merged server take the old server name as surname? Like Zazazuu of “old server name” or Zazazuu “old server name”?

I would much happier if we could discuss things what we can do in “just in case” without forcing people using a surname. It’s not exactly brilliant.

• 287 posts
    December 29, 2018 11:53 AM PST

The issue that I have with allowing multiple toons to have the same first name is that it allows for griefing. We all want this game to succeed for many many years. If I put 100's of hours into a specific character and gain a great reputation, I wouldn't be happy about someone starting a mirror image character with the same name for illicit purposes.

Plus, if Pantheon goes with a peer to peer trading system, then I imagine we will all have mule alts to trade our wares. Having someone be able to quickly create another toon with the same name can possibly trick people out of hard earned coin.

Hopefully a middle ground can be found to allow people to get the name they want, but within limitations. Not very immersive if every wizard you see is a Gandolf or Merlin.

• 1714 posts
    December 29, 2018 10:14 PM PST

Forcing a surname is idiocy. It ruins what this game is about. You can be THE KYLE, or you can be Kyle#12412545. Who in the freakin world wants to type out a full 2 name character just to send them a tell or have to select from a menu which person with the same first name you want to message? This is such nonsense. 

• 67 posts
    December 29, 2018 10:31 PM PST

Keno Monster said:

Forcing a surname is idiocy. It ruins what this game is about. You can be THE KYLE, or you can be Kyle#12412545. Who in the freakin world wants to type out a full 2 name character just to send them a tell or have to select from a menu which person with the same first name you want to message? This is such nonsense. 

They presented already a solution for this problem. U can give your friends with a ridiculous name a short cut. For (re)tells is your defined short cut name enough.

In my opinion this solution supports the goldseller and greedy bastards, which are not good for a community.

• 1714 posts
    December 29, 2018 11:14 PM PST

Zazazuu said:

Keno Monster said:

They presented already a solution for this problem. U can give your friends with a ridiculous name a short cut. For (re)tells is your defined short cut name enough.

In my opinion this solution supports the goldseller and greedy bastards, which are not good for a community.

That doesn't address anything I said. Everybody knows who Furor is. If there are 15 Furors none of those names have any meaning. In an MMO world we live in right now where everything is watered down, this would be a horrible mistake. Names matter. But go ahead and enjoy a game with 415 Aragorns and 5123 Drizzts. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at December 29, 2018 11:15 PM PST
    • 67 posts
    December 29, 2018 11:18 PM PST

I am absolutely on your side bro. I hate the current naming policy from VR :)

• 1479 posts
    December 30, 2018 4:02 AM PST

Porygon said:

Naunet said:

It's funny you say that.  Because my go to name and my 3 friends go to names are the ONLY ones created on all of the servers in the entirety of world of warcraft.

It's obvious we dont agree, and I won't change your mind.  So I'll just wait to see what happens and hope it's to my liking.

Are you talking about the 39 Porygons over the warcraft servers ? I hope not heh !

Back on the topic :

This issue can be solved with extreme ease. Just make blank surname a surname by itself, meaning you're not forced to have one but not two characters can have the same first name + no surname as well. Of course there are people that will still complain about the potentiel of griefing them throught creating a "Myfirstname" +"Anysurname" and levelling throught a full long leveling game just to taint their reputation, as much as anyone has the possibility to do a "Myfirstname" with Alt, s or anything that will make it a lookalike.

I hope no one get's such a bad reputation someone gets enticed about playing hundreds of hours on an alt just to take a revenge.

TL:DR : Griefers will allway find a way, but mostly they wont have enough playtime to make it more than an episode no one will give a **** about, and before beeing concerned about your fame, start having one at all.

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at December 30, 2018 4:03 AM PST
    • 4 posts
    December 31, 2018 8:11 PM PST
    OP here

My main reason for the question has more to do w how surnames were in EQ1. When yiu hit lvl 20 it was an achievement. It was something unique to you that showed off you were (at least) level 20.

This is better than just granting a title, because titles are no unique. If you hit level 20 and get a “Veteran” title to add to your template, ANY level 20 character can acquire that same exact title, its not uniques. But there can obly rver be one Aradune Mithara.

Lastly, it would be optional to choose or display. Hitting lvl 20 just opens the option to guve yourself a surname, it doesnt requir one.