Forums » Pantheon Classes

Line of Sight for heal spells

• 230 posts
    September 11, 2018 8:15 PM PDT

One of the things I remember being a huge change when I moved from EQ1 to playing WoW was the fact that heals in WoW needed line of sight. In EQ1 you could heal your teammates without needing to worry about where they were, as long as you were within range. This meant healers could hide behind walls to avoid AoE damage but still cast their heals on their allies who were out in the fight. But when I switched to WoW, suddenly line of sight mattered and heals required this line of sight and a lot of healers needed to become more aware of their allies positions so they maintained line of sight.

In a recent stream with TheHiveLeader playing cleric, MMO Dream Team, there is this moment where they encounter a glitch that causes a line of sight issue and TheHiveLeader is prevented from casting his heal due to this line of sight issue. Which brought to mind this question on Line of Sight for heals and the pro's and con's.

I'm interested in hearing others opinions on this topic and if you like Line of Sight being required for heals or if you would like the old EQ1 way of no Line of Sight being needed.

I think that if they do use Line of Sight, there could include some specific 'emergency' style heal spells that maybe aren't efficient or have a longer cooldown, that can ignore the Line of Sight rule, just in case you need to heal an ally that is taken out of line of sight. It may even be part of Boss event where players get summoned into a box or something and the raid needs to break them out, but while in the box they take damage, and healers need to use this 'non line of sight' spells to keep them alive until they get them out.

VR has also talked about the 'supernatural darkness' effects that will occur in some zones, or cast by NPC's in an area. This could prevent line of sight, which again would need special heals that don't require line of sight to be ready for these situations. It plays into their 'choices matter' vision where you need to decide if you are going to have any of these special 'non line of sight' heals on your hotbar in case you need them.

There may also be 'blind' effects in the game that make your character temporarily blind while under the effects of the debuff which would therefore block line of sight.

Anyway... just thought I'd fish for some of your opinions :-)

• 21 posts
    September 11, 2018 9:03 PM PDT

GoofyWarriorGuy said:I'm interested in hearing others opinions on this topic and if you like Line of Sight being required for heals or if you would like the old EQ1 way of no Line of Sight being needed.

I advocate for both as you decribed, especially given LOS heals might be more efficient.

However, when I think about the interaction between LOS heals and darkness or blindness spells, something strikes me  As a healer, If I can see you when I start casting, and then you get covered by darkness spell, I should be able to land the heal (or maybe there is a % chance it might not land, but not a certainty)- but I wouldn't be able to start casting another LOS spell on you until I can see you again.  On the other hand, If I start casting and then I get blinded or surrounded by darkness, the heal should be interupted.  

One spell affects you, the other affects me (the healer).  I have absolutely no basis or justification other than that's how I think it should be.  It seems realistic, which we all know is a weird thing to say in a fantasy MMO.  

Same rule in PvE and PvP.

Welll... you asked.  :)

This post was edited by Wyvernspur at September 11, 2018 9:09 PM PDT
    • 481 posts
    September 11, 2018 11:39 PM PDT

Interesting question. I've always taken it as a given in EQ that heals didn't need LoS. Of course this goes for several other spell lines too, like buffs, but also mob affecting spells like pacify. I like the idea above that most heals SHOULD require LoS, but that some emergency type heals might not (but cost more). For pacify or similar spells, I would like to keep the mechanic, as it allowed for some nice team work (for example, FD monk who gives the caster targets with assist, or a mage with summoned eye).

• 1026 posts
    September 12, 2018 7:35 AM PDT

GoofyWarriorGuy said:

I'm interested in hearing others opinions on this topic and if you like Line of Sight being required for heals or if you would like the old EQ1 way of no Line of Sight being needed.

I think that all spells should be treated equally.  Just as damage spells need LoS, so should heal spells.  Fundamentally they are no different.  You are still attempting to apply some effect onto someone else.

To require LoS adds a layer of complexity which I feel is needed.  Everyone should be mindful of where they are in relation to everyone and every thing around them.  It also allows for effects like Blind to actually be dangerous.

• 54 posts
    September 12, 2018 9:49 AM PDT

LoS should absolutely matter for healing spells, it makes no sense to be able to target a spell somewhere you can't see due to blocked sight lines.  WoW didn't require your character to be facing the target just that there be no obstruction between you, I'd be perfectly happy with similar mechanics-having to manually spin to face the target would be cumbersome and get old quickly. 

• 218 posts
    September 12, 2018 5:31 PM PDT

I appreciated how EQ1 did their LoS spells.  Some spells could be cast through walls at long distances while others required you to be right against the target (belly casters).  This gave massive diversity to the gameplay.  With that said, whatever the devs decide, I hope that it works the same way for NPCs as it does PCs.  An annoying part of EQ1 was running out of LoS of a caster NPC only to be nuked through 3 walls and being WAY out of range, but if the NPC you are casting a spell on happens to get 1' out of range while you are casting, your spell fails.

• 85 posts
    September 13, 2018 9:54 AM PDT

Jepp line of sight for healing spells attleast direct heals, group heals might be more tricky to have a line of sight when only half the group is in sight ><