Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Home-Brew 2

• 294 posts
    July 7, 2018 12:53 PM PDT

Okay, so I started a topic about Homebrew several months back and wanted to update folks as to where I am at with it lately.

Finally made the "Hobbit Sauce" recipe. It is a double IPA with a really nice kick. 

The initial smell is amazing. Has some fruity (almost pineapple like) smell and taste with a nice hint of pine in the after taste. There is a hint of flavor that doesn't appeal to me, so I will have to work on my process to irradicate that in the future. It is a dark amber color with a hazy look throughout. All in all, I am satisfied with it. 

I was able to push the ABV up close to 9.5% which I will say might be a bit too high for this brew. Gives it a bit of alcohol strong smell when first cracking open a bottle. I'd have to guess that the bitterness comes in around 40 or 50 or so, but my pallette is used to IPA's and might not be an accurate measure.

If you are interested in the recipe, I'd be glad to share it.

• 1860 posts
    July 8, 2018 3:42 PM PDT

Are you using a program for your recipes? Beermith is the one I use but I know there are a few different options.  Any of them should give you a IBU reading that is pretty close if you enter your recipe.