Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A couple small questions, Surnames, Genders?

• 60 posts
    July 9, 2018 11:00 AM PDT

Iksar said:

Defector said:

Are you guys saying you want a gender neutral option for the people who identify as alien who reproduce some other way?..  Sure... add it to the lore for some races, but it doesnt make sense for most races ie Humans.  Humans only have two physiological genders: male and female. 

Sexes not genders and we should be selecting sex at character selection anyway, not gender. No idea why this discussion is a thing. 

Agreed.  Make it SEX: Male or Female at character selection screen.

The debate (and my arguement) becomes confusing because governments still use gender as a synonym for sex even though the definitions have diverged over the past couple decades.

• 7 posts
    July 10, 2018 10:13 AM PDT
    This is a non-issue. Its a waste of time and resources to develop different models on a game that is already constrained by the very nature of a crowdfunded game. Let them make thier game and then role play your character how you want. Sharing surnames in marrage is easy though. I dont see why 2 people regardless of sex couldnt share something as easy as a name.
    • 70 posts
    July 10, 2018 7:04 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Are there going to be surnames ( I assume so).

Are pairing, marriages going to be allowed, ie. where two characters have the same surname. (I know this existed in EQ1 and Vanguard)

Genders, how about gender-neutral? Or just male, female still? Is VR going try and be more LGBT friendly than every other MMO in existence? :)

And how about Race based PVP servers? I know EQ1 had those in the past. I think it was humans, halflings, erudites vs. ogre, orc, DE, vs. gnomes, dwarves, etc. 

"

There was a race based pvp server, 4 sets of 3 races fighting each other if I recall. Also, an in-game religion based pvp server, a chaos FFA anything goes server. There was a forth but cant remember it now.

I personally am not interested in gender based characters. Maybe because PRF, like EQ, is a fantasy world based very much on Camalot style English dragons and dungeons style mythology. Gender at that time in those worlds was not an issue. The story was and is the thing. I am not saying I would refuse to play it because it was introduced. I don't really have a major problem one way or the other. I just don't see the point, not in PRF.

In a modern story, set in modern times and following modern societies mores and rules, then yes. Gender is playing a large part in RL now, let it be reflected in RL games. This is just IMO.

• 690 posts
    July 11, 2018 7:28 AM PDT

IDK a hebephilic ogre marrying a halfling though...

and really...how would that WORK for gnomes and skar who likely dont give 2 craps about romance?

Yea sounds fun, I'm all for in game marriage even if I likely wouldn't bother.

Gender neutral I think can be done with really good sliders. Could even give some good neutral looking presets.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at July 11, 2018 7:43 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    July 11, 2018 8:00 AM PDT

So, many people now define sex as referring to a person's physical make-up and gender as referring to how they view themselves? To me the terms are synonymous but language evolves, will we nil we. 

Okay - the last thing we need are debates over real world politics or religion and this area comes close to both of these.