Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The Walk Toggle

• 26 posts
    May 21, 2018 8:13 AM PDT

We've seen a "walk" toggle in the majority of MMOs. You toggle it or hold it down, and your character walks at a slower pace.

It is pretty much always mechanically useless.

But really, you would think that in a threatening environment, like the darkness or freezing climates, you would definitely not want to run the whole time.

Have you considered doing something new and unique with the walk toggle that may result in characters actually choosing to walk? Obvious benefits that come to mind would be a bonus to the perception system, a bonus to spotting traps, and things of that nature. 

• 3852 posts
    May 21, 2018 8:20 AM PDT

In a threatening environment where running is likely to kill you, people will walk without the need for incentives. At least after a death or two teaches them.

That said I agree that perception and trap finding and the like should work better. I would argue that running should disable these skills entirely.

• 1281 posts
    May 21, 2018 8:21 AM PDT

I see no reason why the perception system could not be tied to walk/run. If you are running you receive a penalty to perception checks. Would encourage people to walk in certain areas.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 21, 2018 8:21 AM PDT
    • 780 posts
    May 21, 2018 8:22 AM PDT

There were times in EverQuest where you definitely wanted to have walk toggled on.  When I played EverQuest, at least.

EDIT:  Neat idea with perception being more successful in walk mode.  I wouldn't hate that.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at May 21, 2018 8:24 AM PDT
    • 1785 posts
    May 21, 2018 8:55 AM PDT

Yup, in EQ you usually wanted to have walk turned on if you were on ice, as an example.  Or if you were fighting a dragon that was GOING to fear you - though that one always felt a bit exploity to me.

In FFXI and (very recently) FFXIV, there are mobs that detect you by "sound".  If you're running, they'll hear you and aggro.  If you're walking, you can sneak by them.

I also like the idea of perception being more succesful while walking.

• 441 posts
    May 21, 2018 9:06 AM PDT

Nephele said:

Yup, in EQ you usually wanted to have walk turned on if you were on ice, as an example.  Or if you were fighting a dragon that was GOING to fear you - though that one always felt a bit exploity to me.

In FFXI and (very recently) FFXIV, there are mobs that detect you by "sound".  If you're running, they'll hear you and aggro.  If you're walking, you can sneak by them.

I love the idea of the mobs trigged by sound but I do not like the idea of it being tied to the perception system. 

• 162 posts
    May 21, 2018 1:07 PM PDT

Lol, I remember how many times I died in Velk's because i refused to turn off walk thinking, "I got this" now it's just a natural reflex to walk around there. I played on a TLP server and still was toggling walk. However, I don't think an auto system would be very good for many reasons, i hate auto systems, such as auto targeting and things like that. I will target what I want when I want, just like walk/run, shouldn't be auto at all, I will walk when i want to walk, and if i don't push the key, this kind of system would annoy the heck out of me. 

Now, that I got the auto argument out of my way, idk why i just felt like adding that lol. I don't think it should hurt someone to spot a trap whether they are walking or running. Tieing it to perception would be a horrible mistake if you ask me. And here is why, I deployed once to afghanistan, granted the road we were walking was heavily watched, and we also knew what to look for when trying to spot road bombs, well, I missed one, walking and stepped on it, and it went off. So walking didn't help me spot the trap at all. 

Now, I play most of these into real life events just because it brings immersion into the game, the thing that most people complain about. But walking won't help you spot a well placed trap at all, running wouldn't either, but i could decide to stutter step run in game if i wanted to, which is how i navigated most of EQ, eventually i stopped turning walk on heavily trapped areas because it did nothing for me, like the ice in the above sentence, i learned i could run a few steps then let the guy just slide a bit if i didn't get where i was going do it again. Eventually, I learned how to run instead of toggling walk, the whole way without actually running or walking. 

• 769 posts
    May 21, 2018 1:59 PM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

Nephele said:

I love the idea of the mobs trigged by sound but I do not like the idea of it being tied to the perception system. 

Why not?

• 76 posts
    May 21, 2018 2:05 PM PDT

Perhaps instead of punishing you and giving a penalty to perception for  running, like said earlier in the thread give a *small* bonus to it when walking.

I can see why people would want the walk toggle for RP, but I do not rp in mmo. I think it’s be great though to add mechanics to walking/running

• 257 posts
    May 21, 2018 2:23 PM PDT

There's been plenty of times people choose different capabilities (like walking) to be creative, especially with making videos. There's probably thousands of WoW videos where people walk around, dance, etc., adding different backgrounds and music for their video. There's also in-game reasons such as not falling to your death. Overall I like seeing people create stuff with little things like this.

• 209 posts
    May 21, 2018 6:04 PM PDT

I think it could be cool to have walking have some sort of functional use. The only thing I'd be wary of is having the perception system work better while walking (even though it would make logical sense) because I'd feel the need to walk everywhere I went in order to avoid missing perception cues, since they might pop up anywhere. But I like the idea of having walking affect certain other things. I know the latest Zelda game made use of that feature by requiring you to crouch down and walk slowly to avoid waking sleeping enemies.

• 752 posts
    May 21, 2018 6:30 PM PDT
    I would not mind if certain functions were tied to walk. Even having fear tied to run can be countered if you are prepared. Like allow root to affect feared people??
    • 780 posts
    May 21, 2018 7:46 PM PDT

Retsof said:

There's been plenty of times people choose different capabilities (like walking) to be creative, especially with making videos. There's probably thousands of WoW videos where people walk around, dance, etc., adding different backgrounds and music for their video. There's also in-game reasons such as not falling to your death. Overall I like seeing people create stuff with little things like this.

Yeah, I used walk a ton in cities in WoW when I was pretending to be an NPC.  Particularly for that BRD quest line where you parade through Stormwind.  Good times.

Gyldervane said:

I think it could be cool to have walking have some sort of functional use. The only thing I'd be wary of is having the perception system work better while walking (even though it would make logical sense) because I'd feel the need to walk everywhere I went in order to avoid missing perception cues, since they might pop up anywhere. But I like the idea of having walking affect certain other things. I know the latest Zelda game made use of that feature by requiring you to crouch down and walk slowly to avoid waking sleeping enemies.

I think it makes sense to have a perception bonus while walking and a penalty while running.  If perception cues are constantly popping up anytime you run anywhere near anything, is that much different than a question mark over the head?  People who really aren't interested can just run through.  Those who want to take the time to investigate can take it a bit slower and walk around to find things.  Of course, if you run directly over/into something, you might still trigger the perception cue anyway.