Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Feign death or Smoke bomb?

• 627 posts
    May 20, 2018 12:28 AM PDT
    So we seen that both monk and rogue will get abilities to get out of combat and into a "safe state". witch one of these 2 abilities would you rather have available?

My concern is that this ability should be very limited to a 1 or 2 classes. Giving rogues this toolset might damage the monk job as a pullers. The rogue can even move out of harms way, where the monk just lies there waiting for mobs to run away. So arguably rogues got the better of the two "get out of combat" abilities.

To balance this out VR will properly let monks get Fd in early levels, and on a shorter cd with, no regent cost. While the rogue properly will see a regent cost, later lvl availability, and a longer cd. But is this enough?

If we look at the rogues toolkit they get a. hard single target cc, area of effect hard cc, perma invis, insane direct damage, potent dots, interrupts, stuns, debuffs, trap detection and removal, they can climb and set robes for he's team, got flying attacks, can steal from npcs and the list goes on.. :)

I am glad the rogue look this cool, I'm just afraid they got to much, compared to other classes. Or let me refrace that, I can't wait to see what other classes will get, now that we seen that a mix of these class limited skills Fd, area hard cc, invis, is now not so limited in pantheon as we saw in back in eq.

Also I'm thinking of playing on pvp server, where I already can see the insane potential of the rogue, with perma invis that if they take a fight they can't handle they just go back to invis again.. And wait.. for the player to pull, then he goes in to atk again..

It's not to be negative here, I just think some abilities should stay reserved for a very limited class selection, to make sure all classes will "feel" like they have something special and have their own rare abilities to assist he's grp with.

I am sure a very high procentage of all classes on pvp server will be rogues, and for me that would ruin the "fun" imidiatly.

Let me know what you think
    BamBam
    • 25 posts
    May 20, 2018 3:14 AM PDT

I think it is good that Monk is not the only guy with the FD type pulling potential.  That said, the monk's will be superior likely for the reasons you mentioned (lower cooldown, no reagent cost) but most importantly - not limited to mob type.  The Rogues ability has retriciton on who it works on, and of course in addition any see invis type mobs won't be affected either. 

Not sure how it would work for PvP, that could be an issue, but the advantage of being a seperate server is things can be tinkered with without effecting everyone (perhaps against players the invis lasts X seconds, if they don't get somewher out of the way to hide again then they are seen)

• 411 posts
    May 20, 2018 4:33 AM PDT

There are a few assumptions going here that should be addressed.

1) What we have been provided in the class pages is just a snapshot of what each character will be. We don't know their full roles.

2) Pulling is not a "pillar" of Pantheon and it is certainly not restricted to one class. Neither the Monk or Rogue have "pulling" listed in their class role, although "utility" might cover that field.

3) There are a very limited amount of hard numbers provided in the class reveals and there is no way anyone can develop an informed opinion on balance from what we have been given. If the Rogue feels like they were given the coolest stuff, then maybe that's an indication that the Rogue class fits your personality?

4) Pantheon is not patch notes to EQ. We should not make assertions based on how things *would* have changed the class balance in EQ.

With all that said, I think that if FD-style pulling is important in Pantheon that they should absolutely have multiple classes be capable of doing it. I would love to see the bard be able to do it too or maybe another class.

• 627 posts
    May 20, 2018 5:08 AM PDT
    We know enough, skills like area cc, agro clearance abilities are VERY strong abilities in any mmo. Especially in a game where mobs won't delete agro until they are dead.
    • 780 posts
    May 20, 2018 7:07 AM PDT

BamBam, I'm guessing the key difference between Flash Bomb and Feign Death is that Flash Bomb immediately removes you from combat, while Feign Death (I'm guessing) does not.  That would likely mean instant/simultaneous resets for the aggroed mobs and would be much less useful for pulling.  I feel like Flash Bomb is intended to be merely an escape tool, though I could be wrong.

• 3852 posts
    May 20, 2018 7:15 AM PDT

>4) Pantheon is not patch notes to EQ. We should not make assertions based on how things *would* have changed the class balance in EQ.<

This.

Many people here make the assumption that much will be done the way it was done in EQ. In this they may be correct, but let us not denigrate the ability of the VR people to come up with their own ideas and make significant changes in what was state of the art 20 years (rounding off) ago.

• 627 posts
    May 20, 2018 7:35 AM PDT
    FYI Ainadak I have yet to play a rogue in any mmo, and I won't play it in pantheon eighter, its not my type of play style. I'll play one of the healer classes, with maybe a DL, Summoner or pally alt.

We know that the rogue will possible be the best sustained dps class in the game, atleast in an easy top 3, when you then also give them an ability set, that let them area of effect cc, delete agro and do other "rogue only" abilities like stealing, invis, and climbing, then I start my questioning.. They even got an atk speed buff attack, that seems pretty good also.

But sure it's still very early in the process to come to any conclusio, and yeah we can't rly do that. But If we as a community want to have any impact on the development process, we need to raise our hands when something seems to good to be true.. And in my opinion this is a clear case of that..

Even the ranger that is known as a pulling class, properly won't get agro clearance.

And pulling might not be a "role" but it is defenatly a must have, in any grp that wants to do well in this game.

I am fine with the smokebomb and it's a big wish for many rogue players, to have this specific skill, then maybe VR should consider not giving them as high dps as let's say the ranger, or remove the area cc or make the rogue ultra sqeesy. there need to be some balance in some way, one class should NOT be the jack of all trades as we see here.

This is my opinion and you are intitled to yours. Wating and let it play out, is not the way to go.
    • 1921 posts
    May 20, 2018 7:38 AM PDT

Every Rogue ability requires consumables, except maybe one or two.  It likely will cost gold to do any of this.  Possibly a lot of gold.

In EQ1, many classes had FD, (Monk, SK, Necro) and bards had Fade.  Didn't cause any problems.  Pulling is not a Quaternity combat role.  Tank, DPS, Heal, CC are roles in the Quaternity.

What you're arguing against is handled (somewhat) by the limited action set mechanic.  You can only pick 12 in-combat abilities.  Once combat starts, you can't change them.  In other words, a Rogue wouldn't be able to have a full set of tricks as well as a full set of DPS abilities on their in-combat hotbar.  Also, FD is superior to invis, hide, sneak, all of that, and costs nothing.  We also don't know when Shadow Dwell is even available for upgrade.  Rogues might spend 40 levels with a mana consuming inferior hide/sneak, and have a serious movement speed penalty even in Shadow Dwell.

Also, the current lists (from the Interview on the 18th) of abilities are not complete, and damage types are also something to consider.  If half of your time is spent fighting undead, and you need a piercing weapon for backstab, guess what creatures are severely resistant to piercing damage?  Undead.

Finally, it's going to be hard enough to attract people to playing Rogues as it is, let them have their 15 minutes of fame before they're nerfed. ;)  They adjusted Smoke and Mirrors up to 24 seconds, but with a 1 minute recast (or 1m12s?) and what appears to be a 48 second TTK, currently?  I don't think it counts as a role assignment, and the web page reflects that.

• 627 posts
    May 20, 2018 8:19 AM PDT
    vjek sure I'm unsure witch is better, ability to move instantly after deleting agro is very usefull also. On pvp server Fd won't work at all xD. while smoke bomb will. I'm sure a rogue can manage to mix and match abilities so they bring devastating dps, while having smoke bomb and a cc, and a stun. 12 abilities is quiet a lot. I don't think the rogue will be a low procentage class., guess we will have to see.
    • 1860 posts
    May 20, 2018 11:42 AM PDT

My guess is FD will have the shorter cooldown making it more useful (as fd is a more class defining ability).

This post was edited by philo at May 20, 2018 11:45 AM PDT