Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Payment Types, Crypto ?

• 115 posts
    April 22, 2018 2:05 PM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    April 22, 2018 4:48 PM PDT

Let's not get hot-headed, obviously this subject is probably too marginal or uncertain for a company like VR to count on. Game designers works a lot, and the least we can do is paying them with a currency that is worth to them and they can use to live their everyday's life.

• 9115 posts
    April 22, 2018 10:12 PM PDT

Thread cleaned up of all personal attacks and arguments, please keep it civil and mature or the thread will have to be closed. If you don't agree with someone else's opinion and you can't see eye to eye, it isn't the end of the world, please move on and ignore each other.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at April 23, 2018 5:23 PM PDT
    • 6 posts
    April 23, 2018 8:24 AM PDT

Wow i guess i need some sensitivity training, my apologies to everyone for mentioning the subject.

• 1315 posts
    April 23, 2018 9:48 AM PDT

Gushing said:

Wow i guess i need some sensitivity training, my apologies to everyone for mentioning the subject.

It’s never wrong to bring up a subject to talk about and fully trying to support your own viewpoint is reasonable and to be expected.  It just happens the crypto-currency is a pretty hot button issue at the moment with regulation up in the air, a lot of people losing a lot of money in the down turn of bitcoin and the effect of crypto mining increasing the cost of a new gaming desktop by more than 50% compared to 2 years ago.  Many of us also have a hand in businesses that either are being pushed to accept alternative currencies or are being affected by their volatility.

For these reasons there are a lot of strong opinions on the subject hence why it is a global hot button issue.  There may be good uses for crypto-currency but it is a very hard concept for the lay person to truly understand and due to that it has been abused and miss used already.  Ultimate there may be a 3rd party exchange that will sell Pantheon game time cards for various crypto-currencies but that is a type of ecommerce that, for now, is too daunting for a small company to take a risk on.

My 3rd and 4th cent on the topic,

Trasak

• 89 posts
    April 23, 2018 9:53 AM PDT

Blockchain is cheaper and faster than bank processed payment services and I believe a small company like VR can benefit from blockchain in processing payments.

People in other parts of the world where governments control finances, like in China, are using cryptocurrency to pay bills.  For example, Chinese citizens in Australia use apps built on the Stellar Lumens blockchain to make cross border payments from their Chinese bank accounts to Australian utilities companys.  Meanwhile the Stellar Lumens coin XLM fluctuates 45% in value.

And another topic of note is the mass exodus of Wall Street Exe's for Cryptocurrency companies.  They're leaving in droves because the future of finance is blockchain and the banks are in scramble mode trying to catch up to the technology they dismissed for 5 years.

This post was edited by sdcord at April 23, 2018 11:41 AM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    April 23, 2018 10:53 AM PDT

Trasak said:

Gushing said:

It’s never wrong to bring up a subject to talk about and fully trying to support your own viewpoint is reasonable and to be expected.  It just happens the crypto-currency is a pretty hot button issue at the moment with regulation up in the air, a lot of people losing a lot of money in the down turn of bitcoin and the effect of crypto mining increasing the cost of a new gaming desktop by more than 50% compared to 2 years ago.  Many of us also have a hand in businesses that either are being pushed to accept alternative currencies or are being affected by their volatility.

For these reasons there are a lot of strong opinions on the subject hence why it is a global hot button issue.  There may be good uses for crypto-currency but it is a very hard concept for the lay person to truly understand and due to that it has been abused and miss used already.  Ultimate there may be a 3rd party exchange that will sell Pantheon game time cards for various crypto-currencies but that is a type of ecommerce that, for now, is too daunting for a small company to take a risk on.

My 3rd and 4th cent on the topic,

Trasak

A more interesting approach and explanation of the subject, thanks.

• 10 posts
    August 5, 2018 7:16 AM PDT

I think it would be a clever marketing tactic for Pantheon to accept crypto in some manner I think it would bring a lot of attention to Pantheon there are millions of people around the globe watching and speculating it is becoming more and more mainstream as it evolves. The legality and all the morality is not worth my time to argue only time will tell.

This post was edited by trakanon at August 5, 2018 7:24 AM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    August 5, 2018 7:38 AM PDT

trakanon said:

I think it would be a clever marketing tactic for Pantheon to accept crypto in some manner I think it would bring a lot of attention to Pantheon there are millions of people around the globe watching and speculating it is becoming more and more mainstream as it evolves. The legality and all the morality is not worth my time to argue only time will tell.

More like a good way for VR to lose their ass, given how quickly the market changes and how volatile it is.  It would be like paying your bills using stock certificates for tech stocks.

This post was edited by Kalok at August 5, 2018 7:38 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    August 5, 2018 8:07 AM PDT

I ask this purely out of  ignorence.

If VR wanted to make crypto an option - maybe just for the publicity - would it be possible for them to immediately sell it to get dollars or other conventional currency and give the player credit only for the conventional currency they wound up with? Specifying details to give them legal protection e.g. "Any cryptocurrency accepted will be sold for dollars using XYZ exchange on the first full business day in ((insert name of city and state or province)) after receipt. The payor will get credit ONLY for the amount of dollars received AFTER any expenses incurred in connection with the sale, including commissions if applicable. If the amount received is more than the cost of the item or service purchased, the excess will be creditied to the payor on this site and can be used for any future purchases. We will not refund it. If the amount received is less than the cost of the item or service purchased, the payor will need to remit the difference in order to receive the item or service or, in our sole discretion, we may provide a pro rata portion of the item or service provided if this is feasible, e.g. 29 days of subscription time instead of a full month."

I wrote this to give an idea of the concept and make no representation that it is legally sufficient to protect VR in any jurisdiction.

This post was edited by dorotea at August 5, 2018 8:09 AM PDT
    • 187 posts
    August 5, 2018 8:31 AM PDT

dorotea said:

If VR wanted to make crypto an option - maybe just for the publicity - would it be possible for them to immediately sell it to get dollars or other conventional currency and give the player credit only for the conventional currency they wound up with?

If VR used an existing blockchain with fiat exchanges established the answer is yes. For example, they could create ERC-20 tokens on Ethereum called Panthicoins, PTC for short, "out of thin air" (as others have negatively said) in which they would establish an exchange equivalence, i.e. 1 Panthicoins = 1 Ether ~ $400. 

dorotea said:

Specifying details to give them legal protection e.g. "Any cryptocurrency accepted will be sold for dollars using XYZ exchange on the first full business day in ((insert name of city and state or province)) after receipt. The payor will get credit ONLY for the amount of dollars received AFTER any expenses incurred in connection with the sale, including commissions if applicable. If the amount received is more than the cost of the item or service purchased, the excess will be creditied to the payor on this site and can be used for any future purchases. We will not refund it. If the amount received is less than the cost of the item or service purchased, the payor will need to remit the difference in order to receive the item or service or, in our sole discretion, we may provide a pro rata portion of the item or service provided if this is feasible, e.g. 29 days of subscription time instead of a full month."

They way this would most likely play out is they would have established a marketplace which accepts Panthicoins for their goods and services, i.e. 0.1 PTC/month for subscription, 0.07 PTC for an ingame mount, etc. Our crypto wallets would be linked to our VR accounts and smart contract exchanges would change/update account statuses. They could optionally let us exchange ingame currency for PTC to give us a self sustainable option of paying, something like in EVE, or we would just exchange USD->Eth->PTC. It would be up to them to allow us to change PTC back into Eth and ultimately back into USD.

The scary thing about having a subscription fee tied to a cryptocurrency is it is subjected to the crypto market, which we all know is pretty volatile - but that goes both ways. If the market crashes one month, our subscription fees could be $0.10 and our PTCs would be worth very little. On the other hand, if the market is swelling, our subscription fees could go up to ~$100/mo, but our ingame earnings could equivalently payoff and we could even use in game grinding as a form of viable income. Fun stuff to think about.

This post was edited by Syntro at August 5, 2018 8:34 AM PDT
    • 10 posts
    August 5, 2018 8:38 AM PDT
    Yeah firstly almost no one will pay with crypto no one does that no one honestly likes to give away their Bitcoin. It's just publicity. Secondly Pantheon is distributing a software license they don't really have a lot of risk it's not like they are manufacturing hardware and it costs them anything extra to resell it they are developing their own software and can give a away new monthly subscription as they please it's why developing and selling your own software can be so lucrative. Dorotea you are correct if you receive crypto you can sell it right away at market value they would only risk volatility if they hang on to it I think it is worth the risk just needs to be really well thought out and planned.
    • 10 posts
    August 5, 2018 8:44 AM PDT
    I am not a fan or ERC-20 tokens but the idea of having one that is only to be used in a video game or to be used by a particular company would be very exciting. This is the future of transacting and trading value.
    • 363 posts
    August 5, 2018 9:19 AM PDT

I could see this conversation coming from the post. Yuck. 

Fact: New and different things scare people. Always have, always will. People like things warm, safe and familiar. Once crypto currency becomes the next security blanket, internet, google, amazon, whatever..... these conversations will be forgotten. 

• 19 posts
    August 5, 2018 9:52 AM PDT

I dunno it takes 30minutes to 16hours for a bitcoin transaction to take place.  Exactly how long should I wait in the grocery line?

• 119 posts
    August 5, 2018 10:04 AM PDT

I know I'm an absolutely negligable segment of the market, but I'm curious to know what kind of international methods might be available for subscription payment for me in Japan. Currently, my options are various game cash cards such as BitCash, WebMoney, and a few others. There's also GooglePlay and VISA gift cards (fixed amounts) here at the stores.

I suspect I'll have to do some costly international bank transfers, or open a new bank account, if I want to conveniently pay for a sub, haha.

• 19 posts
    August 5, 2018 10:08 AM PDT

paypal perhaps?

• 119 posts
    August 5, 2018 10:19 AM PDT

Paypal will probably be the easiest option, though it'll involve me getting a new bank account and putting money in it solely for the purpose of paying this game's sub, haha.

It's unfortunate that even in 2018, there are a lot of incompatabilities between the Japanese and American banking system that make it annoying and/or expensive to move money back and forth.

• 19 posts
    August 5, 2018 10:28 AM PDT

i think we can work out a deal between our great nations if you were to change your currency to anime.

• 96 posts
    August 5, 2018 10:55 AM PDT

Wow, alot of macro economics majors in here aye? It doesn't look like VR will accept any crypto. Why should they? regular money works just fine.

• 844 posts
    August 5, 2018 11:20 AM PDT

Rokuzachi said:

Paypal will probably be the easiest option, though it'll involve me getting a new bank account and putting money in it solely for the purpose of paying this game's sub, haha.

It's unfortunate that even in 2018, there are a lot of incompatabilities between the Japanese and American banking system that make it annoying and/or expensive to move money back and forth.

I think you will find this is true for banking systems between most countries. Not just Japan.

And it will remain this way as long as a country wants to protect themselves from other countries. Wars are not just fought with armies anymore.

• 1120 posts
    August 5, 2018 11:42 AM PDT

Rokuzachi said:

You pay me 16 dollars a month thru paypal and I will pay your 15 dollar a month sub fee!  Win win!

• 10 posts
    August 5, 2018 2:29 PM PDT
    Roku that's why crypto was invented to make yo make is seamless to exchange value without having a 3rd party.

Silky the topic was revived, the idea is that allowing VR to accept crypto will be effective marketing for Pantheon .
    • 644 posts
    August 5, 2018 2:44 PM PDT

Gushing said:...gamers could mine while sleeping...

I think that's exactly what no one wants.

This post was edited by fazool at August 5, 2018 2:47 PM PDT
    • 119 posts
    August 5, 2018 7:32 PM PDT

I'm not against crypto, but I am utterly uninformed about it, haha. I mostly just know that it's become quite popular here in Japan - you see lots of ads for it floating around. I think I wouldn't mind being able to use it to pay my sub, though I'm not sure what that would entail.