Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

younger generation discovering panthon

• 12 posts
    April 17, 2018 11:58 AM PDT

I recently came across a youtube video from a younger content creator who is talking about how revolutionary Halnir Cave's design is from the perspective of it being an open world dungeon with environmental factors to overcome (low light). He references black desert as an MMO who has expirimented with open world dungeons but he is oblivious to how much older games pioneered this a long time ago.

I don't mean to be glib or reductionist, quite the opposite, it means that what the team at VR are doing is resonating with the younger generations the way they hoped it would! It was exciting for me to see this kind of feeling of discovery of something really cool in terms of game design, coming from this younger content creator. 

clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSHBNM-X-OA

• 613 posts
    April 17, 2018 5:33 PM PDT

I took a look.  Pretty good video.  Nice topic also.  

Well done!

OX

• 2756 posts
    April 18, 2018 1:16 AM PDT

TiersonBane: "Keep in mind this is a game I'm not particularly interested in, so I haven't done too much research on it"

Hehe. Interesting having an opinion piece video, but not being interested or doing research :^)

It does make it clear that Pantheon is causing some kind of 'stir' though.  He's interested in something he's not normally interested in.

It makes me think it would be good for VR to produce some kind of History of RPGs that leads up to Pantheon...  Would be great marketing material, but would be quite a task to make something interesting and comprehensive.  You'd have to go from Dungeons and Dragons through MUDs, Ultima, Everquest and Vanguard and then cover the 'downfall' of MMORPGs (without being too disparaging) which leads to the desperate need for Pantheon.

I would have a go myself, but I'm not best positioned to tell people what inspiration VR has...  I could have a go though...  Hmm...

This post was edited by disposalist at April 18, 2018 1:34 AM PDT
    • 12 posts
    April 18, 2018 8:47 AM PDT

disposalist said:

It makes me think it would be good for VR to produce some kind of History of RPGs that leads up to Pantheon...  Would be great marketing material, but would be quite a task to make something interesting and comprehensive.  You'd have to go from Dungeons and Dragons through MUDs, Ultima, Everquest and Vanguard and then cover the 'downfall' of MMORPGs (without being too disparaging) which leads to the desperate need for Pantheon.

I would have a go myself, but I'm not best positioned to tell people what inspiration VR has...  I could have a go though...  Hmm...

That's a pretty cool idea actually! If you didn't frame it from the perspective of "This is what VR thinks" and more of, "This is one aspect of the community that resonates with me personally" it might solve your concern. I know I would LOVE to see a video going through that progression!!