Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

(Pre-) Alpha timeline 'news' gleaned from the PAX page

• 39 posts
    April 5, 2018 10:51 PM PDT

Naim said:

I agree that Alpha will be in 2019, maybe they plan to do Pre Alpha, then Alpha on KingsReach. Then, Pre-alpha / Alpha Again (separately) for Reinfall....

Alpha fo KingsReach could be Spring/Summer 2019. Reinfall Alpha maybe Fall/Winter 2020. Realistic release date, late 2021, early 2022. i honestly wouldn't be surprized at a 2023 release. this isn't Blizzard, Brad doesn't have a 200 man team working on this game. hell, i don't even think they have funding enough to get To release unless they get new money from somewhere... (if i win the lottery, that will change. lol ) 

Very Long ways off.  I'm jus doing $5 a month sometimes until I believe there will BE a release. I've probrably given about $80-$100 so far. I will likely cancel the sub and ignore the game for 6-12 months starting later this month. 

I don't want Alpha. it's just a broken version of the game. it's not fun. I got an Alpha invite to another game a few days ago. i logged in, did a few quests, looked around a bit and deleted the game afterwords.

If thats the case this gamew ill be horirbly out of date by the time it releases

• 3852 posts
    April 6, 2018 6:58 AM PDT

I agree. Even full release in 2019 would be later than a lot of people had hoped for. Any later and many people would have written it off as vaporware - not to mention that endless testing and development burns through substantial amounts of money.

• 257 posts
    April 6, 2018 7:15 AM PDT

dorotea said:

I agree. Even full release in 2019 would be later than a lot of people had hoped for. Any later and many people would have written it off as vaporware - not to mention that endless testing and development burns through substantial amounts of money.

I understand your concern but I respectfully disagree. Small teams are much more efficient than large ones. The large ones still get more done in the same amount of time but the cost per time is much higher. As for being obsolete in the near future, that depends on the engine and future proofing. I haven't heard much in that department other than some Unity references. I believe they have modified the engine quite a bit which could be a good sign. Tod Curtis (It was him, right? I think...) mentioned some bits about AI coding in relation to future proofing. Frustration on waiting for something we are excited about is normal but have peace of mind that no one wants this game to succeed more than them.

Cheers.

• 15 posts
    April 6, 2018 7:43 AM PDT

2023 is nuts.  I don't think everyone working at VR would be completely discouraged if they thought they really weren't releasing the game for another five years.  

I don't expect it tomorrow, and maybe not even next year, but I can't imagine the level of pessimism I would need to predict that the game would take a full eight years to develop.

This post was edited by otterley at April 6, 2018 7:46 AM PDT
    • 201 posts
    April 6, 2018 8:52 AM PDT

Yeah honestly I am expecting end of 2019 at the latest and I do believe that later would be pretty bad for this game.  No one is going to wait until 2023 and I am REALLY REALLY REALLY am excited for this.  But another 5 years?  Come on...the game will not have a real chance at success at that point.

This post was edited by antonius at April 6, 2018 8:53 AM PDT
    • 287 posts
    April 6, 2018 12:58 PM PDT
    I am willing to work on Pantheon for free. To test, build world's etc. Anything that is needed. I don't have formal training just s love for the genre. I could produce quickly, and a pro could come behind me to polish it up.
    • 108 posts
    April 6, 2018 2:04 PM PDT

Pre-Alpha is generally activities done prior to testing of the game ie software design, development and unit testing. Basically pre-alpha refers to all the activities involved in game development prior to testing.

Alpha is the first phase of testing.

It appears to me that the developers are currently merging the pre-alpha phase with the alpha phase at this stage in their development. I am thinking their so called alpha will be more like a closed beta test and beta will be more like an open beta test.

I could certainly be wrong i am not privy to what is actually being done in game and if testing is actually taking place at this moment or not.

• 49 posts
    April 6, 2018 5:41 PM PDT
    At their current pace we are looking at 2020/2021. I guessing they will continue development through 2018 and then look to be picked up by one of the larger development houses.
    • 56 posts
    April 7, 2018 10:59 AM PDT

nexus said: At their current pace we are looking at 2020/2021. I guessing they will continue development through 2018 and then look to be picked up by one of the larger development houses.

Unless things are darker then I think. I do not see Pantheon going to a larger Development House. Several reasons. One Brad's angianst agianst them and Two Brad's reputation from Vanguard days. 

• 3237 posts
    April 7, 2018 11:21 AM PDT

Brad recently announced that Alpha will arrive before the end of the year, and that Beta will be some time next year.

• 2886 posts
    April 7, 2018 12:46 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

Brad recently announced that Alpha will arrive before the end of the year, and that Beta will be some time next year.

For the sake of clarity, that's their goal. Not necessarily a guarantee, as sometimes unexpected things happen. But yes, that's what they're shooting for.

• 3237 posts
    April 7, 2018 12:55 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

oneADseven said:

For the sake of clarity, that's their goal. Not necessarily a guarantee, as sometimes unexpected things happen. But yes, that's what they're shooting for.

Fair enough!  It's always good to have a general idea of the timeline that is being aimed for.  I think that statement is valuable to those who were considering Pre-Alpha but weren't ready to make the plunge based on PA potentially being over and done with after the next session, as well as those pledged for Alpha as it will help with managing expectations.

• 2886 posts
    April 7, 2018 2:10 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

Bazgrim said:

oneADseven said:

Fair enough!  It's always good to have a general idea of the timeline that is being aimed for.  I think that statement is valuable to those who were considering Pre-Alpha but weren't ready to make the plunge based on PA potentially being over and done with after the next session, as well as those pledged for Alpha as it will help with managing expectations.

Definitely agree. We've seen how sometimes rough estimates can be risky if they're misinterpreted (thus the clarification), but I tweeted it out when Brad said it at the panel because I knew it'd be helpful to some and VR said it's a "pretty safe bet."

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 7, 2018 2:11 PM PDT
    • 52 posts
    April 7, 2018 3:40 PM PDT

Great news. I'm an Alpha tiered supporter am in no rush; if alpha opens at the end of 2018 or early 2019 so be it, I'm not going anywhere. I want to see VR take their time during this phase of development and build a strong foudation for this virtual playground we'll all be enjoying for the next... 20+ years (maybe?). <3

PS Looking forward to your uploaded interview Baz.

• 523 posts
    April 7, 2018 5:01 PM PDT

Brad's statement sounds similar to how they worded pre-alpha, so I'm expecting Alpha to open around Christmas if all goes well.  If not, early-mid 2019.  That's right in line with my expectations all along.  And if you extrapolate that date with his current stance on when Alpha would start, that means Kingsreach will be complete by the end of this year.  That part is a little hard to believe based on current speed of development, but maybe they are farther along than we think, or maybe there are just going to be fewer zones in Kingsreach than we thought.  

• 26 posts
    April 7, 2018 6:45 PM PDT

Paloo said:

nexus said: At their current pace we are looking at 2020/2021. I guessing they will continue development through 2018 and then look to be picked up by one of the larger development houses.

Unless things are darker then I think. I do not see Pantheon going to a larger Development House. Several reasons. One Brad's  agianst them and Two Brad's reputation from Vanguard days. 

This is what scares me..I dont know all the workings on what happen but at least you show up for your people.

This post was edited by LeeLoo at April 7, 2018 6:45 PM PDT