Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Dynamic Zone Entrances

• 999 posts
    January 5, 2018 3:13 PM PST

I would not be a huge fan of dynamic events (real-time) - I believe it would ultimately feel too scripted and these type of ideas work much better for a game that utilizes instancing with more crawl-type dungeons (versus some camp which I hope Pantheon has).  Instead, I'd much rather have interactable objects within the zone itself such as perhaps through perception, or class utility skills: lockpicking, bashing walls, etc. it allows for an alternative to exit a dungeon/cave versus having to run back to the entrance (think more like Sebillis versus Gukbottom). 

It's not dynamic, but I think it would achieve multiple functions to allow a player with less time an alternative to exit a dungeon without penalizing a group while adding extra usuable utility to classes.

If you were going to have dynamic zones, I would rather it be in the form of a revamp due to a specific reason OR, if you were going to use a real-time dynamic zone with cave-ins etc., use it in a zone with an expectation that some scripting, inconvenience, time-sink, etc. is going to be involved (like Raid zones).  And, I'd stll say even though there may be dynamic elements, they most likely would be learned and ultimately would lead to scenarios like Isaya stated that inconvenience players or players avoid the zone altogether due to annoyances especially with regular leveling zones.

This post was edited by Raidan at January 5, 2018 3:17 PM PST
    • 769 posts
    January 5, 2018 3:40 PM PST

Raidan said:

I would not be a huge fan of dynamic events (real-time) - I believe it would ultimately feel too scripted and these type of ideas work much better for a game that utilizes instancing with more crawl-type dungeons (versus some camp which I hope Pantheon has).  Instead, I'd much rather have interactable objects within the zone itself such as perhaps through perception, or class utility skills: lockpicking, bashing walls, etc. it allows for an alternative to exit a dungeon/cave versus having to run back to the entrance (think more like Sebillis versus Gukbottom). 

It's not dynamic, but I think it would achieve multiple functions to allow a player with less time an alternative to exit a dungeon without penalizing a group while adding extra usuable utility to classes.

If you were going to have dynamic zones, I would rather it be in the form of a revamp due to a specific reason OR, if you were going to use a real-time dynamic zone with cave-ins etc., use it in a zone with an expectation that some scripting, inconvenience, time-sink, etc. is going to be involved (like Raid zones).  And, I'd stll say even though there may be dynamic elements, they most likely would be learned and ultimately would lead to scenarios like Isaya stated that inconvenience players or players avoid the zone altogether due to annoyances especially with regular leveling zones.

Agreed.

Although, I have a picture in my head that looks pretty cool. 

You feel the ground shake, and hear cracks form in the distance. It would be a shame if you got trapped in this cave....

And then a mass-rush from everyone in the zone to get to the entrance before the imminent cave-in. I mean, it would be a chaotic mess of trains and deaths, but also ...Kinda cool. 

This post was edited by Tralyan at January 5, 2018 4:19 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    January 5, 2018 4:27 PM PST

Raidan said:

Dynamic events too scripted??  As opposed to quests which are completely scripted.  Or holes in the rock that never change.  Or interacting with objects that behave in a......wait for it......scripted manner....

• 136 posts
    January 7, 2018 7:19 PM PST

I would really like to see hidden zone entrys and caves in some places that are very hard to find.Something that even months into the game very few players have found.

Unique cave entrances involving the climate systems and perception would be very neat and keep the game fresh in zones after release. 

A hurricane shifting the sand below the ocean creating a new underwater cavern or a tornado hits a town in the rubble the player finds a hidden ancient grave that a home was built atop of to hide its existence when pushed a hidden tunnel is found. 

This post was edited by Kiera at January 7, 2018 7:22 PM PST
    • 999 posts
    January 14, 2018 5:24 PM PST

@Kalok

Yes - they would be.  You are never going to have 1000 different dynamic combinations - it will ultimately revolve around 2-3 different dynamic events shifting.  And, if you actually read my posting history here - you'd realize I'm not for questing either, outside of sprawling epic quests, which I do agree would still involve a "script." No golden paths, no quest markers, no kill and collect.

Dungeons are non-scripted when the players don't have to follow a linear path and issues like trains, etc. emerge due to the community in them.  Until technology could reach a point where zones continuously change - I'll stand by my original point.

*edit - error in wording - changed non-linear to linear

This post was edited by Raidan at January 14, 2018 7:24 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    January 14, 2018 5:33 PM PST

Raidan said:

@Kalok

Yes - they would be.  You are never going to have 1000 different dynamic combinations - it will ultimately revolve around 2-3 different dynamic events shifting.  And, if you actually read my posting history here - you'd realize I'm not for questing either, outside of sprawling epic quests, which I do agree would still involve a "script." No golden paths, no quest markers, no kill and collect.

Dungeons are non-scripted when the players don't have to follow a non-linear path and issues like trains, etc. emerge due to the community in them.  Until technology could reach a point where zones continuously change - I'll stand by my original point.

Well.....  Quests ARE a thing in Pantheon.  However, there are no "golden paths or quest markers".  They are tied into the perception system, so if your perception is too low, you won't even know they're there.

You can make a scriped non-linear path.

• 105 posts
    January 14, 2018 5:59 PM PST

From a practical point of view this could be a pain in the arse... You spend an hour getting a group together, 30 mins travelling to the dungeon only to find the entrance have moved and you have to spend another hour finding another way in... half way through the tank runs out of time and you're stuffed... In theory it sounds fun and pathways etc changing within dungeons so each run through is a different experience could be cool but actually moving the entrances might prove to just be annoying.

This post was edited by Kipling at January 14, 2018 6:00 PM PST
    • 557 posts
    January 14, 2018 7:15 PM PST

I agree with Kipling.  Moving the entrance to the zone is probably a bad idea.   Dynamic changes inside the zone would be a welcome twist, at least for a limited number of zones.   Levers that can only be operated once inside, floors that collapse if wizards bang staves and yell "You shall not pass", or whatever other mechanic seems appropriate for the lore and design of the encounter...  I'm up for any of that.

I just don't want to see a lot of one-time server event triggers that never get reversed.