Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Politics in Game

• 1095 posts
    December 22, 2017 6:52 PM PST

Thought came to me.

Cities have internal politics and maybe they have votes?

Why not players being able to cast votes or persuade/kill raid targets to put a perticulur NPC in charge which allows a set of rules/benfits/faction adjustments/prices that favor one side over another.

Gives cities another reason for people to come too and helps support a "living world".

Thoughts on this?

This post was edited by Aich at December 22, 2017 7:06 PM PST
    • 1785 posts
    December 22, 2017 6:55 PM PST

Brad's mentioned a few times that he'd love to put diplomacy (ala VG) into this game if he could take the time to "do it right".  To me, what you're talking about would be a part of that system.  I imagine that's expansion-level work, though, sadly.

• 1095 posts
    December 22, 2017 7:00 PM PST

Nephele said:

Brad's mentioned a few times that he'd love to put diplomacy (ala VG) into this game if he could take the time to "do it right".  To me, what you're talking about would be a part of that system.  I imagine that's expansion-level work, though, sadly.

Could be but it would just(could) be an event going on in the city that each player(account) could be involved in.

Fun stuff like allowing Ogres in or less taxes on sellign item in each city. Since banking will be local and marketing; it will keep players moving about the world and not setting up shop to bank in one area due to location.

This post was edited by Aich at December 22, 2017 7:03 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 22, 2017 7:01 PM PST

I could see quests to influence political outcomes.  That could be cool.  As an example, an assassination quest for a Rogue to whack someone's political opponent.  That could be expanded even more and have arger ramifications.  It could even be tied into the faction systems to generate good and bad factions based on the political quests and actions.

• 1095 posts
    December 22, 2017 7:04 PM PST

Kalok said:

I could see quests to influence political outcomes.  That could be cool.  As an example, an assassination quest for a Rogue to whack someone's political opponent.  That could be expanded even more and have arger ramifications.  It could even be tied into the faction systems to generate good and bad factions based on the political quests and actions.

Yeap great ideas. Alot of stuff can be added to cities that "live".

• 1281 posts
    December 22, 2017 7:12 PM PST

One of my biggest fears is that cities will be "dead" from an NPC perspective like they were in EQ, EQ2, and Vanguard.  I'm hoping that there's lots of NPCs in the cities, and by NPCs, I am including "animals" (cats, dogs, birds, ewtc.) in addition to "people".  Not only will it make for a more interesting game visually, but it could also make for a more interesting game interactively.

• 160 posts
    December 22, 2017 7:54 PM PST

I made a post about this on the old forums a few years back. it was long winded and not very straightforward. Off the top of my head type stuff. It didnt generate very much of a response.

The people of a game, particularly my loyalty to my guildmates, is what keeps me coming back year after year. If a game were to capitalize on a system that could take advantage of that, it would have a very strong draw for me indeed.

This post was edited by Nuggie at December 22, 2017 7:55 PM PST
    • 470 posts
    December 23, 2017 2:45 AM PST

Zeem said:

Thought came to me.

Why not players being able to cast votes or persuade/kill raid targets to put a perticulur NPC in charge which allows a set of rules/benfits/faction adjustments/prices that favor one side over another.

Gives cities another reason for people to come too and helps support a "living world".

Thoughts on this?

I think the original concept for Diplomacy in Vanguard had some things similar to this but it was never fully a system realized to its fullest potential. The system instead became a bit of a minigame, fun, sure, but it served little purpose beyond buffs and some other minor influences. One such use suggested at one point was using diplomacy to talk your way past a boss guard instead of fighting and such. There were a few ideas floated around but they never got implimented. Perhaps at some point Pantheon will revisit that mechanic. 

This post was edited by Kratuk at December 23, 2017 2:48 AM PST
    • 2138 posts
    December 23, 2017 3:14 AM PST

Even the inclusion  of a "like" or the common and existing voting mechanic (like in some future forums *ahem*) can be applied in game? with a tally board - "publically" viewable- and by publically I mean by PC's.

The tally board could include various outcomes: assasinate one target; single rogue quest but the people in game have to vote for that tactic or could be class specific quest. Conquer the town: needs pressence of 2 or more groups- elimiate corrupt guards. Defend city: needs 3-6 players- eliminate (triggered) goblin horde outside of town.

Idea is, once there are enough votes from PC's coming back to the town and interacting with mundane NPc's and hearing a change in plight or two. Perhaps from evolving perception? one woman was always  hanging laundry- 2 RL weeks later when you come into town randomly that same woman is now wimpering- why? perception and investigate- if you REMEMBER her not crying form before. if upon hearing the story you go to the boards TO VOTE and see the tally of votes for each scenario after you've voted. 20 out of 25 needed for assasinate, 30 out of 30 for conquer, 7 out of 15 for defend. seeing 30 for 30 means the "quest" is open for that. you gather the people (if another group doesn't get there first) and you ask the appropriate NPC and trigger the event. 

the last scenario may allow more socialization- even things like "hey! you doing the conquer? can I help?" Kinda like the coldain ring war- sort of like an in-game, open-raid mechanic. The assasinate may be player-centric and singular FPS in a way but I could see it augmented to require the help of other single players with high faction or faction modifiers. I mean: the assasination is voted for- the time for the assasination will be during the party or public speech. Heh various levels of drama can apply- the one being assasinated making the speech in public and then being assasinated from behind to the shock and awe of all! but triggering guards or what-have-you. Or need bards or chanters  or high faciton people to enter the room or area where the party is to cause NPC's to turn away from the target and toward the Bard playing, or chanter mezzing or high faciton person hailing. once 7 out of 10 are turned- then the assasination can take place - this nicely includes situational awareness. unlike the below example, this may nee dthe rogue to ask for help from bards or chanters or high faction people " hey blurp!, you have good faction? I need you to talk to those guards fior a sec- wait till I get this bard to play over there and when I say... start talking"

So, once the votes are cast and the event is done only the remaining are left, once all are done it does away for a period of time before it comes back again, to be voted upon.

But even without such complexity above, at bare bones, it could be a way to influence faction. If you voted "yes" for irrigation system- and that "passes" (30 out of 30 random PC's passing through that decide to engaging in the vote) you get a +1 faction modifier. If you voted "no" your faction does not change. Faction hits once the votes are in. However if you vote yes to "kill the tyrant!" and a random rogue does it single handedly, you get a +2 faction boost wherever you are. So like you could be 2 continents away and get the notice your faction with X went up 2! and you would start chatter- who was the rogue that killed the tyrant?! sort of like a small server first. Or even if you know the votes have been passed but you are not a class that can assasinate and you meet a rogue in travels, you could tell them of the assasination needed in the town and try to coerce them to do so. "hey dude! you a rogue? go to city X, there's a tyrant that needs ot be killed only a rogue can do it!" " tyrant?- CityX? I know of no such tyrant or city, why would I bother to go there?" maybe this forces a bit of roleplay between two PC strangers one of which happens to be a rogue- but accidentally so its cool.

*edited for spelling- as much as I could see*

This post was edited by Manouk at December 23, 2017 3:36 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 23, 2017 7:58 AM PST

Kratuk said:

Zeem said:

Thought came to me.

Thoughts on this?

I think the original concept for Diplomacy in Vanguard had some things similar to this but it was never fully a system realized to its fullest potential. The system instead became a bit of a minigame, fun, sure, but it served little purpose beyond buffs and some other minor influences. One such use suggested at one point was using diplomacy to talk your way past a boss guard instead of fighting and such. There were a few ideas floated around but they never got implimented. Perhaps at some point Pantheon will revisit that mechanic. 

Maybe with this idea, instead of buffs, it could open up content.  Like quests that you couldn't get if you weren't viewed favorably by political faction x.  It could basically be an extension of the actual faction system that facilitates this.

• 2 posts
    December 25, 2017 9:22 AM PST

Please no. Some play RPG's to escape the sh!t storm.

• 1281 posts
    December 25, 2017 9:45 AM PST

Widil said:

Huh?  MMORPGs have had Diplomacy in some form or another since EQ1.  Faction is a form of diplomacy.  He's just proposing expanding on it.

• 1095 posts
    December 25, 2017 2:34 PM PST

Widil said:

Maybe you thought I meant voting for real life canditates? If so thats not what I meant lol.

I was talking about the people(NPC's) and govering bodies that run the cities in-game like Thronefast and if it makes sense to. It could drive in-game events based on player view points and to have another reason to visit cities. It could work for monarchies as a cities rule type as well given they may want to do something for the citizens, or stop the citizens from rioting over a certain issue.

Maybe politics isn't the right word for it.

This post was edited by Aich at December 25, 2017 2:36 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 25, 2017 6:24 PM PST

Zeem said:

Widil said:

Maybe you thought I meant voting for real life canditates? If so thats not what I meant lol.

I was talking about the people(NPC's) and govering bodies that run the cities in-game like Thronefast and if it makes sense to. It could drive in-game events based on player view points and to have another reason to visit cities. It could work for monarchies as a cities rule type as well given they may want to do something for the citizens, or stop the citizens from rioting over a certain issue.

I read your "politics" idea more as diplomacy than actual politics.  Maybe I was wrong.

• 1095 posts
    December 25, 2017 7:33 PM PST

Kalok said:

Zeem said:

Widil said:

I read your "politics" idea more as diplomacy than actual politics.  Maybe I was wrong.

Well its one in the same but different levels. A diplomat is one whom uses politics(speech and knowledge on issues at hand) to gain some type of outcome. I'll use the term "social engineering" because that what it is. Perhaps what I am suggesting is the basic skill level of a diplomat and from there build that skill so they can nagivate factions. Participating in local city, school, and any really player driven event can expand off this. Same as the percepton system. it can an option skill which may open doors into KOS area eventually. You expanded on my idea which is what I wanted. I like to make ideas as a foundation for others to fill in gaps and expand on.