Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Player-made stuff

• 25 posts
    December 17, 2017 4:20 PM PST

This is me again, asking questions that have probably been asked before, but not been able to find the answer to.

What's the take on player-made stuff? Will the team take player concept art into account when designing outfits and weapons? If enough people voted for a unique animation for elves (just an example) that someone came up with, could that animation possibly see its way into the game?

When I sometimes daydream, I add ideas to my "perfect mmo". During some of those daydreams, I asked myself: What if people did design stuff? Not in the actual game, but outside the game, and some of the player-designed stuff was implemented in the game? Now, I know pretty much nothing about programming except the basic html that everybody knows, and my experience with 3d modelling is also rather limited. So I have no idea how hard it would be, and how long it would take for something to go from concept art, to 3d model, to animated model, etc to final product.

I'm not saying that stuff should just be implemented. I generally dislike the looks of newer mmo's, and would like to go back to a more "less is more" and simpler look - kinda like early Everquest. That being said, sometimes people come up with some amazing art and ideas (I'm a big fan of pinterest).

Anyway!
    What are the odds of having player designed content added to the game over the years?

Happy Holidays!

• 1095 posts
    December 17, 2017 5:50 PM PST

Chalkstix said:

This is me again, asking questions that have probably been asked before, but not been able to find the answer to.

What's the take on player-made stuff? Will the team take player concept art into account when designing outfits and weapons? If enough people voted for a unique animation for elves (just an example) that someone came up with, could that animation possibly see its way into the game?

When I sometimes daydream, I add ideas to my "perfect mmo". During some of those daydreams, I asked myself: What if people did design stuff? Not in the actual game, but outside the game, and some of the player-designed stuff was implemented in the game? Now, I know pretty much nothing about programming except the basic html that everybody knows, and my experience with 3d modelling is also rather limited. So I have no idea how hard it would be, and how long it would take for something to go from concept art, to 3d model, to animated model, etc to final product.

I'm not saying that stuff should just be implemented. I generally dislike the looks of newer mmo's, and would like to go back to a more "less is more" and simpler look - kinda like early Everquest. That being said, sometimes people come up with some amazing art and ideas (I'm a big fan of pinterest).

Anyway!
    What are the odds of having player designed content added to the game over the years?

Happy Holidays!

Have not heard of a "voting" for any player driven design.

This post was edited by Aich at December 17, 2017 5:50 PM PST
    • 220 posts
    December 17, 2017 7:52 PM PST

1. There are copyright nuances that apply here, and getting legal involved to transfer ownership of non proprietary materials is never simple nor is it easy to explain to investors (why is your fanbase creating your content? Do you lack creators/creativity?)

2. Not unrelated is a very real fears of creative influence.  Does the lorekeeper/CCO keep to their vision, or did they plagiarize someone else subconsciously?  

3. If you want to help write quests, draw assets, etc you should provide an application and portfolio to visionaryrealms.com/company/career

4. VIP pledges have some content creation included

5. Brad said in an off air interview with VoT founder Yarnilla that he wants player created content to, someday, play a part in Pantheon's legacy. mainly as a feature, like neverwinter-style mods

I am paraphrasing a previous post of mine, and this is all a conglomeration of multiple dev posts over the last 2-3 years, so take it for what its worth.    

• 160 posts
    December 17, 2017 11:08 PM PST

Larr said:

... stuff...

4. VIP pledges have some content creation included

... more stuff ...

Pretty much was he said.

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/join/

Under the Pathfinder's pledge you can see the bulleted item, "5 item renaming vouchers."

From the kickstarter(scroll down about halfway):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=pantheon%20rise%20of%20the%20fallen

they were called, "Name item" for the $150 pledges and above. As well as, "Name POI" (Point of Interest), "Design a Quest line," and finally at the highest tier, "Design dungeon or raid with team."

What you are asking for was kind of already offered. They have verred away from it rather strongly. Probably for some of the issues brought up by Larr. Others, I would assume, would be it's easier to create your own ideas than haggle with someone else's ideas. 

Not saying it won't come back around at some point, but for now it looks like it's been a "gone away from" concept from the early kickstarter days.

I like the idea's though.

edit - forgot some minor stuff

This post was edited by Nuggie at December 17, 2017 11:09 PM PST