Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

"Living World" Thoughts

• 1095 posts
    December 26, 2017 1:27 PM PST

Finding a way to do dynamic building shifting like in Harry Potter would be tricky if done server side. If you bring that to the client side then it would be easier BUT that opens up an attack vector that content is now controlled on the client which would be bad.

I can offer an example from Star Gate SG1 episode where a machine allowed people to see extra dimensional creatures because the people were in contact with a certain frequeny. The creaturs were always there but they never interacted with the physical world. The frequency allowed certain people to see them.

This could be done but allowing the NPC to be visible, interact with and unit collision if you have the right prequisities. More advanced version of hollow men in EQ. I can see this being useful for certain raid or dungeon areas. Imagine a raid boss that is this "etheral" form and everyone had to get a special item like the SSRA Emp and the melee weapons.

This post was edited by Aich at December 26, 2017 1:30 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 26, 2017 1:38 PM PST

Zeem said:

Finding a way to do dynamic building shifting like in Harry Potter would be tricky if done server side. If you bring that to the client side then it would be easier BUT that opens up an attack vector that content is now controlled on the client which would be bad.

I can offer an example from Star Gate SG1 episode where a machine allowed people to see extra dimensional creatures because the people were in contact with a certain frequeny. The creaturs were always there but they never interacted with the physical world. The frequency allowed certain people to see them.

This could be done but allowing the NPC to be visible, interact with and unit collision if you have the right prequisities. More advanced version of hollow men in EQ. I can see this being useful for certain raid or dungeon areas. Imagine a raid boss that is this "etheral" form and everyone had to get a special item like the SSRA Emp and the melee weapons.

No different than the enviironment causing damage to you and drain your mana if you walk past a specific point unless you have a special item, such as in this video aat about 1:40:00ish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO3MuXT7GrU&t=3s

• 1095 posts
    December 26, 2017 1:40 PM PST

Kalok said:

No different than the enviironment

Gonna have to elaborate on what ya mean here and what part you are referring it to in my post so I can make sure I understand. I may be thinking about something different from Harry Potter about the "expanding buildings" scene.

This post was edited by Aich at December 26, 2017 1:47 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 26, 2017 2:04 PM PST

Zeem said:

Kalok said:

No different than the enviironment

Gonna have to elaborate on what ya mean here and what part you are referring it to in my post so I can make sure I understand. I may be thinking about something different from Harry Potter about the "expanding buildings" scene.

Your comment about how difficult it would be to implement.

I wasn't talking about the "expanding building" scene from Order of Phoenix.  I was talking about how "Muggles" see Hogwarts as ruins and stay away, but "Wizards and Witches" see it as their school.

As an example of how that would "work" in-game.  You wander upon a set of ruins out in the middle of the zone somewhere, and what you see is a set of ruins.  However, once you've competed the quest to receive an item or enchantment, you see an actual castle/keep/whatever.

• 1095 posts
    December 26, 2017 2:44 PM PST

Kalok said:

I wasn't talking about the "expanding building" scene from Order of Phoenix.  I was talking about how "Muggles" see Hogwarts as ruins and stay away, but "Wizards and Witches" see it as their school.

As an example of how that would "work" in-game.  You wander upon a set of ruins out in the middle of the zone somewhere, and what you see is a set of ruins.  However, once you've competed the quest to receive an item or enchantment, you see an actual castle/keep/whatever.

Ok I got ya. So do Muggles see the people in the ruins or are they invisible as well?

• 1281 posts
    December 26, 2017 2:51 PM PST

Zeem said:

Kalok said:

Ok I got ya. So do Muggles see the people in the ruins or are they invisible as well?

They seee the ruins.  Everyone sees ruins except the people that have the item/enchantment/whatever to see an actual functioning castle/keep/whatever.

• 1095 posts
    December 26, 2017 3:06 PM PST

Kalok said:

Zeem said:

Kalok said:

They seee the ruins.  Everyone sees ruins except the people that have the item/enchantment/whatever to see an actual functioning castle/keep/whatever.

I meant do the muggles see the people inside the ruins. Hogsworth is ful of people. How you would handle the players who has access vs those who do not?

This post was edited by Aich at December 26, 2017 3:10 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 26, 2017 3:10 PM PST

Zeem said:

Kalok said:

Zeem said:

Kalok said:

In th book wher I got the idea from, no.  All they sse is empty ruins.

I meant do the muggles see the people inside the ruins. Hogsworth is ful of people. How you would handle the players who has access vs those who do not?