Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Class-specific item types (not just items)

• 74 posts
    December 15, 2017 3:43 PM PST

World of Warcraft, and most modern MMO's have class specific items, but NOT class specific item types.

Diablo and Dark Age of Camelot are two games that had class specific item types.

Headdresses for Druids, Fetishes for Necromancers, Claws for Savages... etc.

This is a really fun element of RPG's that has been missing for a long time.

Do you guys think we should bring this system to Pantheon, and what are some good examples of item types that can be unique to Pantheons classes?

• 1281 posts
    December 15, 2017 3:57 PM PST

Class specific items have been around LONG before WoW was even considered, circa 1999 and 2000.  As an example, there were the Epic Weapons in EQ, which only the specific quester could equip, and these Epic Weapons were class specific.  There was also class limited armor in EQ.

With that being said, they have already stated that there will be class specific items in some of the videos that they have done.

• 769 posts
    December 15, 2017 4:12 PM PST

One thing I do hope they include are class-specific sets, with set bonuses. 

:Stealing name from EQ:

Ravenscale Armor Set - Rogue class specific armor

Ravenscale Helm 

+5 Dexterity +5 Strength

(+5 Agility added when wearing 2 pieces of Ravencscale Armor)

Don't ask me why, but I've always been a fan of class specific full armor sets, with set bonuses attached. 

• 2752 posts
    December 15, 2017 4:51 PM PST

Class specific items (limited to a single class) I generally don't mind when used very sparingly. Class specific item types I am not a fan of at all. 

• 1303 posts
    December 15, 2017 5:01 PM PST

Fetishes, Totems, Relics, etc.... Love em. In some cases I don't think it's necessary to limit them to a single class, but they can be nearly as good when they are limited to an arch-type. Like Paladins and Clerics using relics. Or Shaman and Druids using totems. Overall though I think this adds yet another layer of personality to classes, and I don't think I've ever found that to be a bad thing. 

• 1785 posts
    December 15, 2017 5:42 PM PST

I could see this for certain classes but not all of them.  To do it for all of them they'd have to put a "class specific item slot" in, and then they'd have to contrive some kind of thing that would go there.  While that might be easy for some classes (clerics = holy symbol, bards = instrument, etc), it would get really wacky with others.  Do you give warriors medals?

Better, I think, to have certain items that go in any of the standard slots and are class-restricted when it makes sense to do so.  I mean, no one really wants to touch the necromancer's ritual fetish except a necromancer... right?

• 74 posts
    December 15, 2017 7:37 PM PST

Nephele said:

I could see this for certain classes but not all of them.  To do it for all of them they'd have to put a "class specific item slot" in, and then they'd have to contrive some kind of thing that would go there.  While that might be easy for some classes (clerics = holy symbol, bards = instrument, etc), it would get really wacky with others.  Do you give warriors medals?

Better, I think, to have certain items that go in any of the standard slots and are class-restricted when it makes sense to do so.  I mean, no one really wants to touch the necromancer's ritual fetish except a necromancer... right?

The example I was thinking of would allow Fetishes to be off-hand, but only wearable by Necro's, for example.

It wouldn't require any new slots to stick your feiths in ;) :D

• 74 posts
    December 15, 2017 7:37 PM PST

Kalok said:

Class specific items have been around LONG before WoW was even considered, circa 1999 and 2000.  As an example, there were the Epic Weapons in EQ, which only the specific quester could equip, and these Epic Weapons were class specific.  There was also class limited armor in EQ.

With that being said, they have already stated that there will be class specific items in some of the videos that they have done.

I don't think you bothered to read the post, or at least didn't understand it.

• 1281 posts
    December 15, 2017 7:44 PM PST

Dulu said:

Kalok said:

I don't think you bothered to read the post, or at least didn't understand it.

Yes...  I did.  To both.  Otherwise I would not have commented.  In addition to what I said, others have pointed out that there were other things that were class specific too, such as the Necromancer fetishes.

• 1303 posts
    December 16, 2017 7:52 AM PST

Nephele said:

Do you give warriors medals?

It would seem to make sense to me that some classes wouldn't get a class of item. Relics make sense for Paladins/Clerics. But for other classes maybe that slot is more a utility slot. That slot could have a variety of uses.

Rogues can have lockpick kits that help with lockpick success. Or forged papers that allow them access to areas they would ordinarily be denied. Or disguises. All of these things being in game, and the player swapping out as the situation dictates. 

Warriors could have medals. I think that makes a degree of sense if they are obtained via questing, perhaps as associated with the militia of capital cities.  They could also have something like dogtags that identify them as members of a militia and give them some benefit. Or some artifiact associated with a warrior god/godess. 

A little imagination could go a long long way. And even thinking thru the possibilities presents a ton of great gameplay experiences that sound pretty entertaining to me. They could be class specific questlines, targets, accesses, achievement-like rewards for prestige. Think of them as little mini rights of passage. The devs have talked about how they want the journey to be a bigger part of gameplay than reaching the "destination" of end-game. Give them reasons to do things of meaning at all stages. This provides yet another avenue of horizontal progression. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at December 16, 2017 7:52 AM PST